Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hows it good that its number 3. Well given that the silent majority of PC gamers dont care about using a different launcher I'll say it's a good thing.

The tester will be next week as to whether it's still there. The only issue with it is Epic pre-bought these copies so theres no money to the devs etc yet.

However say epic make their investment back, whatever that is, they would have a number of new users to their platform (say 100k for arguments sake). That might see that as a good move and invest in a Shenmue 4, despite the "outrage".

For anybody hoping that the Chinese market would save the day, the game is still not available on we game, with no expected release date listed (it just says ‘stay tuned’).

This is some very, very rough back-of-a-cigarrette-pack mathematics, and putting a whole lot of faith in vgchartz numbers being accurate in the first place, so take this all with a grain of salt.

As a quick summary, we know that according to gamesindustry.biz, in the UK Shenmue III has sold a little more than half that of Shenmue I & II Remasters (PS4 Only), and that sold 7,559 copies according to vgchartz. So let's say 7,559 * 0.55, round that down and we've got around 4,000 copies sold in the UK.

Edit: the gamesindustry.biz numbers are physical sales only, and an enormous amount of video game sales in the UK are digital. The above comparison is pretty much useless, as it's comparing apples to oranges.

Then as per Famitsu, Shenmue III has sold 17,857 copies in it's first week in Japan. Comparing that again to Shenmue I & II sales in Japan, which again according to to vgchartz sold 33,442 copies.

So there does seem to be a trend of Shenmue III selling about half as well as Shenmue I & II remasters, at least in the UK and Japan. Globally, Shenmue I & II remasters sold 107,971 units in the first week, once again according to vgchartz.

So if that trend holds true globally, we can expect Shenmue III to have sold around 55,000-60,000 units in its first week. Shenmue I & II remasters went on to sell 340,000 units across both PS4 and Xbox One, so extrapolating very roughly from that we're looking at somewhere between 140,000-180,000 units sold for Shenmue III.

I don't know which of these reported numbers include both physical and digital sales, which only include physical etc. etc., and none of this takes into consideration the fact that the remasters were sold at a much, much lower price point and were up against much less opposition, so again, this is a very rough overlook of the current situation that you should take with a huge grain of salt.

All in all, it's not looking as great as I had hoped it might, but I don't think the sky is falling either.

Last edited:
If you are watching a vid of a game of EGS it's because you probably have a PC. And if you probably have a PC you will buy it on Epic. And if you buy it on Epic you will not appear in the TWO charts we know so far (UK and JP physical ps4)

Because it's 3, not 20.

That means between all the shit in EGS, there are only 2 that sold better.

And it only appeared at release. Which means up until last week, it's been tracking under a shitload of old titles that were barely moving any copies but still were in the top. As I said, breaking into that top doesn't require many copies. Selling 10k copies could push Shenmue 3 in that top 3.

This is some very, very rough back-of-a-cigarrette-pack mathematics, and putting a whole lot of faith in vgchartz numbers being accurate in the first place, so take this all with a grain of salt.

As a quick summary, we know that according to gamesindustry.biz, in the UK Shenmue III has sold a little more than half that of Shenmue I & II Remasters (PS4 Only), and that sold 7,559 copies according to vgchartz. So let's say 7,559 * 0.55, round that down and we've got around 4,000 copies sold in the UK.

Then as per Famitsu, Shenmue III has sold 17,857 copies in it's first week in Japan. Comparing that again to Shenmue I & II sales in Japan, which again according to to vgchartz sold 33,442 copies.

So there does seem to be a trend of Shenmue III selling about half as well as Shenmue I & II remasters, at least in the UK and Japan. Globally, Shenmue I & II remasters sold 107,971 units in the first week, once again according to vgchartz.

So if that trend holds true globally, we can expect Shenmue III to have sold around 55,000-60,000 units in its first week. Shenmue I & II remasters went on to sell 340,000 units across both PS4 and Xbox One, so extrapolating very roughly from that we're looking at somewhere between 140,000-180,000 units sold for Shenmue III.

I don't know which of these reported numbers include both physical and digital sales, which only include physical etc. etc., and none of this takes into consideration the fact that the remasters were sold at a much, much lower price point and were up against much less opposition, so again, this is a very rough overlook of the current situation that you should take with a huge grain of salt.

All in all, it's not looking as great as I had hoped it might, but I don't think the sky is falling either.
I’m pretty sure that VG Chartz used Media Create’s figures for Shenmue 1 and 2 sales in Japan. Famitsu reported sales of around 18,000 for week one.

Media Create’s figures for S3 supposedly show sales of around 38,000 sales for S3 in its opening week, and considering sales of the Japanese release of S1&2 accounted for westerners importing the Japanese special edition, I think it’s fair to say that S3 has at the very least sold as well as Shenmue 1/2 did in Japan, if not better. This is true whether you compare Famitsu’s numbers or the numbers provided by Media Create.

I agree though that the early figures don’t look great (especially the UK).

Exactly. Epic game store is so unpopular. They don't sell anything. This isn't steam. Just go on steam and see what people think of shenmue 3 there.

This! Digital Sales make up 80% of game sales in the U.K. now. More money goes to the developer as well.
Yes this is true but the physical sales is a fair sample of how well the sales are going. it represents how we are likely doing in digital sales.

No idea why digital sales are rarely released!!

I’m pretty sure that VG Chartz used Media Create’s figures for Shenmue 1 and 2 sales in Japan. Famitsu reported sales of around 18,000 for week one.

Media Create’s figures for S3 supposedly show sales of around 38,000 sales for S3 in its opening week, and considering sales of the Japanese release of S1&2 accounted for westerners importing the Japanese special edition, I think it’s fair to say that S3 has at the very least sold as well as Shenmue 1/2 did in Japan, if not better. This is true whether you compare Famitsu’s numbers or the numbers provided by Media Create.

I agree though that the early figures don’t look great (especially the UK).

Oh wow, that's interesting. Why is there such an enormous discrepancy between Media Create's and Famitsu? Do Famitsu's numbers only account for physical sales or something? If it's actually selling as well as the remasters did in Japan, that's definitely looking more positive than I first thought.

I suppose we really just have to wait and see the US numbers at this point.

I hope they're not bound to Sony. That won't help matters. I don't really see why Sony would care at this point. It's obviously not shifting PS4s (though I bought one because of Shenmue!).
I would guess around 30,000 PS4s were sold purely to shenmue fans. Most on kickstarter and here seem to have brought for this sole purpose

Exactly. Epic game store is so unpopular. They don't sell anything. This isn't steam. Just go on steam and see what people think of shenmue 3 there.
5 million Boarderlands customers might disagree as well as the 85 million people who've signed up for the Epic Store. Granted it's not the 1 billion that steam has (or 90 million active users monthly) but there's plenty on there to suggest that actually Shenmue III can sell on there. To say nothing would be sold is plain ridiculous

However this won't go into an Epic v Steam debacle that's been done to death on here. Warning for myself!

Last edited:
but those facts don't fit the narrative!

Anyway, i'm taking a week out the dojo until i've finished the game. I've been really good at avoiding spoilers so far but it only takes one idiot who can't read NON SPOILER FORUM to wreck it. See you on the other side.
Thinking about doing the same, I am addicted to sales and reviews just because of the info stuff, but from yesterday navigate around here is a mine field

More than a giant like Borderlands 3.

Oh yes, the people of Steam. People who complains about a fucking launcher of a game they would never play anyway. Oh, god, think about steam's boyz

Oh wow, that's interesting. Why is there such an enormous discrepancy between Media Create's and Famitsu? Do Famitsu's numbers only account for physical sales or something? If it's actually selling as well as the remasters did in Japan, that's definitely looking more positive than I first thought.

I suppose we really just have to wait and see the US numbers at this point.
AFAIK, both account for physical sales only. I guess they just have different methods of gathering sales figures. With both releases, Famitsu have reported much lower figures so at the very least their methodologies are consistent.

Im choosing to believe Media Create’s figures if only because they are more positive. If Japan sells 9 times as many copies as there were Kickstarter backers in week one, that bodes well for total sales worldwide.

5 million Boarderlands customers might disagree as well as the 85 million people who've signed up for the Epic Store. Granted it's not the 1 billion that steam has (or 90 million active users monthly) but there's plenty on there to suggest that actually Shenmue III can sell on there. To say nothing would be sold is plain ridiculous

However this won't go into an Epic v Steam debacle that's been done to death on here. Warning for myself!

5 million for Borderlands is the total shipped copies on 3 platforms. Not Epic Store.
And the 85 million people aren't Epic Store users. They are people with Epic account, which is a mandate to play Fortnite on any platform. The 85 million Epic accounts aren't Epic Store users, far from it.

I don't think nothing would be sold. But I dont see it breaking over 30-40k.

5 million for Borderlands is the total shipped copies on 3 platforms. Not Epic Store.
And the 85 million people aren't Epic Store users. They are people with Epic account, which is a mandate to play Fortnite on any platform. The 85 million Epic accounts aren't Epic Store users, far from it.

I don't think nothing would be sold. But I dont see it breaking over 30-40k.
Whether they use the store or not they're signed up to it. This was the figures taken from GDC 2019.

Agreed 5 million isn't likely the epic sales but it clearly didnt hamper it at all.

Anyway this isn't the epic topic. I'll leave it here.

Then if you were right, the game would be at the number 1 spot. And would've been in the top 20 since before launch.
Thing is, it isn't.

The only two games ahead of it are star wars and red dead 2. I dont expect shenmue to outsell red dead 2 even with a massive push from epic due to it being red dead.

I wouldnt expect shenmue to outsell star wars with a push either, but in stars wars case, there was a push from epic, i assume using a siimlar method, along with a cross promotion with fortnite.

Star wars and shenmue are the two games being promoted on the front page of the epic store atm. The shenmue push started on the 20th.

Only time will tell whats going on. Thats why i keep suggesting to everyone to wait and see before they shout doom and gloom. Shenmue 3 is a very bizarre case to predict due to a large number of variables.

The only two games ahead of it are star wars and red dead 2. I dont expect shenmue to outsell red dead 2 even with a massive push from epic due to it being red dead.

I wouldnt expect shenmue to outsell star wars with a push either, but in stars wars case, there was a push from epic, i assume using a siimlar method, along with a cross promotion with fortnite.

Star wars and shenmue are the two games being promoted on the front page of the epic store atm. The shenmue push started on the 20th.

Only time will tell whats going on. Thats why i keep suggesting to everyone to wait and see before they shout doom and gloom. Shenmue 3 is a very bizarre case to predict due to a large number of variables.

And these two games likely sold marginally on Epic's store. Most of the sales from Red Dead 2 came from Rockstar's launcher. And you can bet another good chunk will come from Steam. And it's easy to see considering during preorder times, RDR2 was lagging behind Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3. As for Star Wars, Steam and Origin are also the far biggest sellers here.
Hence why that top is meaningless. Because if being 1st means selling 20k copies, that pretty much tells you where the rest is sitting.

And these two games likely sold marginally on Epic's store. Most of the sales from Red Dead 2 came from Rockstar's launcher. And you can bet another good chunk will come from Steam. And it's easy to see considering during preorder times, RDR2 was lagging behind Outer Worlds and Borderlands 3. As for Star Wars, Steam and Origin are also the far biggest sellers here.
Hence why that top is meaningless. Because if being 1st means selling 20k copies, that pretty much tells you where the rest is sitting.

Do you have some links or proof of red dead or star wars only selling 20k copies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back