Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aiya it begins..just a simple Google search of Shenmue 3 brings up numerous articles with headlines about low sales. This is why morale is hard to shift. But I guess I can't blame them for just reporting.

These articles fail to take into account the holiday season which spread sales quite a bit. Also the kickstarter would have eaten some sales.

The hard figures make for tough reading but if we want a Shenmue 4 then we need to show commitment to it via social media as soon as possible.

Also none of these count digital sales so we should also wait for Cedric or Deep Silver to make comment.

for what it's worth it, in Italy Shenmue III is almost sold-out on Amazon and it's sold-out (empty shelves) in some shops.

Webhallen Sweden is almost out of CE's which they took in many of. Only 4 left in stock! They have a lot of regular editions in stock however.

Yeah, that’s what I thought. So at most they only had about 40,000 copies available to sell.

Aiya it begins..just a simple Google search of Shenmue 3 brings up numerous articles with headlines about low sales. This is why morale is hard to shift. But I guess I can't blame them for just reporting.

Geez. Talk about jumping to conclusions quickly "Shenmue 4 won't happen in some time if ever" ..

Explain all the out-sold Amazon stocks and high rankings on there then?? Be patient. That is Shenmue in a nutshell.

Resetera Media Create guy:

Guess Japan really is grim. Not sure I get the sell through comment.
In japan places try to order as little games as possible so that they more or less get rid a vast majority of stock to the point where I think you aim for a sell through of 80-90% otherwise your game generally gets put in bargain bins, this is why you see alot of major releases of games that sold well being posted in places as flops cause theres a bunch of bargain bin sales for them like how it happens with basically every FF title.

This essentially means stores overestimated demand for Shenmue 3, its not good news by any metric but there is some context to it and doesnt equate to flop outright

Its probably sold around 30k in Japan when you add digital sales. It's not a disaster like some are making it.
The Japanese sales really aren't the disaster that some of the articles are making it out to be, bigger titles such as Jedi Fallen Order and Need for Speed give a good insight into what the market can be like:

06./05. [PS4] Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order # <ACT> (Electronic Arts) {2019.11.15} (¥7.727) - 10.321 / 37.082 <60-80%> (-61%)
18./08. [PS4] Need for Speed: Heat # <RCE> (Electronic Arts) {2019.11.08} (¥7.727) - 3.604 / 27.548 <60-80%> (-53%)

I think there is also that western misunderstanding about Shenmue,
there are a lot of people who think that Shenmue is some legendary japanese IP
that everyone knows and loves over there but thats not true at all.
Shenmue has no chance against something like Dragon Quest, Pokemon, Zelda, Mario or other big japanese IPs.
Even something like Disaster Report 4 sold more copies in Japan than the Shenmue HD Collection.
If you are looking at japanese Shenmue sales numbers with the mindset that
"everyone there should love it because its japanese", you have the wrong idea.

The problem is if it doesn’t sell well in other markets. It’s already not proven to be a big seller in the UK or Japan. Where will it pick up enough sales to justify funding a fourth game? That’s our concern.

The problem is if it doesn’t sell well in other markets. It’s already not proven to be a big seller in the UK or Japan. Where will it pick up enough sales to justify funding a fourth game? That’s our concern.
Maybe the U.S will bring the numbers? We can only hope I believe. I totally agree, I think it has been westerners who have cared about Shenmue the most out of all regions.

Yeah thats a fair concern, and I highly doubt if the game is doing bad physically its gonna magically double in number with digital sales like I've seen this one dude on gematsu comment going ham on and getting downvoted into oblivion, especially when you consider that statistic about digital overtaking physical is heavily skewed by the simple fact that there loads of digital-only games with pc/steam in particularly being almost exclusively digital.

We will just have to see in time.

One thing that has to be taken into account with regards to Cedric and YSNet not talking about sales or expectations is due to the publisher relationship with Deep Silver. Deep Silver are a publicly-traded company so any talk of sales,etc has to go via them first as they don't want share price being affected.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back