Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a video game collecting server on discord and in the pickups channel I see Shenmue 3 posted many times. :)

I think in a lot of people's minds, they think they are helping by saying "this isn't the way it's meant to be, it's meant to be like this", but it never works. You only have to see other fandoms (naming no names) to see that what initially appears to be criticsm on the grounds of trying to make something better turns into a demand for something *they* want.

When you get down that road; when you make something to please the fanbase because you're afraid of the backlash- then that's the point you lose control. I'm still in the first part of the game, so I don't know what's in store for me, but (maybe budget aside) if this is what Yu-san wanted, then that's what I want. I won't lie, I find some bits of the game incredibly tedious, but more often than not, I am smiling from ear to ear and feel blessed to be a part of this.

Ultimately, I think a lot of the negativity comes from outside sources. I'm stressed out with the political turmoil of my country, stress with friends, family, relationships, money, to the point I was sent home from work this week with a panic attack, but I try my best to be a good person and not to be angry. However, I see many people in a similar situation and their reaction is to be angry and to take it out on other people.

It's easier to be angry and destroy something than it is to be kind these days and that makes me so sad.

I don't know if Yu-san and his team read the comments, but I truly hope they are more thick skinned than I am.

I also find it strange that a huge part of the Shenmue charm is the warmth and kindness of the characters in the game. I think that's lost on many people. By all means, let's go for constructive criticism, but blindly attacking and hating on people is just not on. It's a fucking game at the end of the day. Granted, one that means the world to me, but it's still a game.

Sorry i'm rambling, i'm in a stream of consciousness mode.

Regarldess of the rushed parts, I think people looking for a different experience than current action-fps-oriented market, will love Shenmue 3 slower pace and details.
Hopefully that will translate in additional sales in the following months.

Shenmue 3 failed to make it into the EMEAA top ten (digital and physical) for its opening week. Koch Media are listed as one of the publishers that contributes sales figures, so the it would seem the game isn’t selling amazingly in Europe.

All the doom and gloom in the sales reports are making my eyes roll. They love bringing up the fact that the remaster debut sold more than Shenmue 3 but ignore the fact that it’s not a console exclusive like 3 is.

Shenmue 3 failed to make it into the EMEAA top ten (digital and physical) for its opening week. Koch Media are listed as one of the publishers that contributes sales figures, so the it would seem the game isn’t selling amazingly in Europe.
Is there a source for this?

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
New Entry1Football Manager 2020
22Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
43Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
54FIFA 20
15Pokémon Sword
36Pokémon Shield
107Grand Theft Auto V
78Luigi's Mansion 3
89Need for Speed: Heat
2610Rainbow Six Siege

I would not expect Shenmue 3 to break into the top ten europe wide, it's a lot of heavy hitters in there.

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
54FIFA 20
15Pokémon Sword
36Pokémon Shield
107Grand Theft Auto V
78Luigi's Mansion 3
2610Rainbow Six Siege
I would not expect Shenmue 3 to break into the top ten europe wide, it's a lot of heavy hitters in there.

Exactly. Shenmue will never be mainstream. Never had been. Shenmue is either niche or an acquired taste. Every one of those is also a proven formula from a franchise with massive fanbases. Shenmue is none of those.

So huge shocker when Shenmue doesn’t beat any of them. /s

A few places have the top ten listed and Shenmue 3 isn’t there. I’m unable to paste links onto this forum for some reason, but it should be fairly easy to find with google.

How odd. How long has it not allowed you to post links? That needs fixing so I can raise it.

Ok cool. I'll do a search later.

Last WeekThis WeekTitle
54FIFA 20
15Pokémon Sword
36Pokémon Shield
107Grand Theft Auto V
78Luigi's Mansion 3
2610Rainbow Six Siege
Agreed. Lots of heavy hitters. Shenmue III will be a slow burner in terms of sales.

Yeah, i mean we are talking about Star Wars, CoD, Fifa, Pokemon, the Mario franchise,
pretty sure Shenmue has no chance against these names in any country.
Alone the pre order hype level for some new CoD or Star Wars game will overshadow a full released Shenmue game,
even if Shenmue 3 would be a 10/10 game on Metacritic.
You can bet that these games have a couple more than 70.000 backers / pre orders + 150 - 500.000 retail sales
just because of the name.

Pretty sure the problem is on my end. I can’t paste anything on this forum when using my phone.
Ah ok. Seems odd ill check on our end anyway just to be sure

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back