Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not even in the top 100 in the UK.

#67 on US Amazon’s PS4 list behind lots of old games like Yakuza 0. Not really expecting a miracle in the US, unfortunately.

Cant even find it on Target or GameStop’s sites when I sort for bestsellers.
How about for best buy?

When I see ancient games selling ahead of it on various retailers’ websites, my dreams of Shenmue 3 charting high on the NPD feel kind of dead... I need to just enjoy the game and stop worrying about things out of my control. I’m just a little bummed the story still has so many open questions.

#67 on US Amazon’s PS4 list behind lots of old games like Yakuza 0. Not really expecting a miracle in the US, unfortunately.

Cant even find it on Target or GameStop’s sites when I sort for bestsellers.
I’m not being overly optimistic and hope the game sells well, but keep in mind Yakuza 0 is $10 and is critically acclaimed.

Shenmue 3 will sell nicely, there’s definitely some interest surrounding it, but nobody other then fans of previous games are buying/playing it on D1, and most of us already backed it on KS.
Exactly. In the months before the release, the marketing side was... Well, very modest. I think that people who weren't fans don't know much about Shenmue III. But the game might have legs. With time you'll see more videos o YouTube, articles... And our own word of mouth will make other players more interested :)

I’m not being overly optimistic and hope the game sells well, but keep in mind Yakuza 0 is $10 and is critically acclaimed.
Just doesn’t really bode well for a big debut on the charts as some had hoped.
Time to just enjoy the game and maybe be pleasantly surprised when a sequel is announced. You never know what the publisher anticipated.

When I see ancient games selling ahead of it on various retailers’ websites, my dreams of Shenmue 3 charting high on the NPD feel kind of dead... I need to just enjoy the game and stop worrying about things out of my control. I’m just a little bummed the story still has so many open questions.

Because backers won't be counted towards NPD, it was probably never going to rank highly there regardless. I'm not of the opinion ranking poorly in physical retail sales is indicative that game's a flop either (obviously it wouldn't hurt in green-lighting a sequel).

If this game wasn’t kickstarted, it easily would have sold 150-200K. ~75K sales or whatever aren’t counting towards the retail numbers. I don’t know who expected it to have a big debut whatsoever. Every Shenmue fan is a die hard and kickstarted it. Outside of that, the potential player base is incredibly minimal. It’s just not a game with public appeal and it never will have that. The first two sold well because they were cutting edge at the time and revolutionary. Now we have people buying the game who enjoyed the originals and that’s it. The fact that it sold out On amazon and topped Best Buy is incredibly surprising to me. Regardless, the game will not put up any big numbers in sales, and only will gain purchases when it’s cheap and curious people think it’s worth giving it a shot. I’m sure the developers and publishers knew most of the revenue was all in the Kickstarter and that if they want to make a new game, those ~75K backers WILL buy a copy.

Sadly, you have to imagine 5-10k of those backers may not purchase a Shenmue IV. There were a lot of people that jumped on the hype train or were swayed by the discounted $30 digital version. Between the Epic fiasco or some of those backers not enjoying the game, there will most certainly be less people purchasing a Shenmue IV. Sure, it might’ve won over some new fans too, but realistically the sales of each game will go down.

Black Friday at Best Buy in America is going to produce huge anomalies in sales charts. There are SO many heavily discounted games that people jump on for holiday gifts. I think a more telling finding is that it's charting right next to Star Wars and above Death Stranding and Outer Worlds, all recently released games as well. The release of Shenmue III has even boasted very discounted Shenmue I & II into the top 50.

I still wonder if releasing the game so close to Black Friday was deliberate on Deep Silver's part in order to make up for the non-existent marketing. Because it seriously feels like fansites did more heavy lifting than Deep Silver ever did.

Just came back from Best Buy.

Bought another copy: $35.

Next to it was a really nice looking steel case which had a $19.99 price tag (hell of a lot nicer than that cheap cardboard slip us backers got!)

The reduced $34.99 was sold along with the steel case as a bundle so you get everything for $34.99

Going to keep the case and give the 2nd game away as a Christmas gift..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back