Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
They know that tens of thousands of people are willing to spend hundreds on the series, if Shenmue III sells 200k or so (including backer copies) I'd be very suprised if Deep Silver or some other mid-level publisher doesn't invest 5 or 6 million into a Shenmue IV. And given that everything is in place from Shenmue III's development, 5 or 6 million should be enough to fund it. I'm a miserable depressed fucker and even I'm not as down as some of you!

1292242.png.72635312ee4dd4e2872843a366c61f75.png

It's pretty amazing Team Ico's stayed in business for so long. Have any of their games sold well? I think they're just a 'prestige' studio for Sony.
Well about that, alot of people never picked up on this but Team ICO disbanded over 9 years ago and this is in spite of shadow of the colossus doing fairly well. Its just Last guardian killed the company

Last Guardian was finished up by a different studio with some members and the director.

Unfortunately I think some people will never be happy. They thrive off negativity and it spreads like wildfire. Often people later on with perspective seem to think differently. They seem to have no awareness of the effect this will have on the game overall.

Some of it is just malicious too like saying they wish yu Suzuki would never be allowed to release a further game. To me that’s not fandom that’s just a horrible thing to say to someone who has worked hard to make a game for the fans after all these years.

I despair at this part of the shenmue community, but I’m also not surprised. People have unrealistic expectations and make themselves unhappy. I’ve seen people say they want this game in any form and now it’s out they are negative about everything in it. Well clearly you didn’t want this game in any form.

The only thing we can do is spread positivity, I’m ok with constructive criticism but whining and throwing toys out of a pram is pathetic. People shouting fans down that enjoy the game is also unacceptable.

I believe new people into shenmue will enjoy shenmue 3 for what it is also as they don’t have 20 years of what they thought it should be.
Can we all be 100% clear here. No one in this thread is suggesting the game is bad. They are worried about lack of sales and newcomers to the series which we are right to be worried based on figures seen so far

its not negative to not assume everything about shenmue is perfect. I love the game and am worried about a sequel

please stop saying people are negative when they query something

Well about that, alot of people never picked up on this but Team ICO disbanded over 9 years ago and this is in spite of shadow of the colossus doing fairly well. Its just Last guardian killed the company

Last Guardian was finished up by a different studio with some members and the director.
I hate to be negative, but I really don’t enjoy their games. I’ve played both Ico and SOTC and found them both really underwhelming. I love the aesthetic, but find the actual gameplay and empty worlds uninteresting. I guess I know what it feels like to be a Shenmue nonbeliever.

I hate to be negative, but I really don’t enjoy their games. I’ve played both Ico and SOTC and found them both really underwhelming. I love the aesthetic, but find the actual gameplay and empty worlds uninteresting. I guess I know what it feels like to be a Shenmue nonbeliever.
I love em but they arent for everyone, last guardian is definitely their weakest work though.

I think in a lot of people's minds, they think they are helping by saying "this isn't the way it's meant to be, it's meant to be like this", but it never works. You only have to see other fandoms (naming no names) to see that what initially appears to be criticsm on the grounds of trying to make something better turns into a demand for something *they* want.

When you get down that road; when you make something to please the fanbase because you're afraid of the backlash- then that's the point you lose control. I'm still in the first part of the game, so I don't know what's in store for me, but (maybe budget aside) if this is what Yu-san wanted, then that's what I want. I won't lie, I find some bits of the game incredibly tedious, but more often than not, I am smiling from ear to ear and feel blessed to be a part of this.

Ultimately, I think a lot of the negativity comes from outside sources. I'm stressed out with the political turmoil of my country, stress with friends, family, relationships, money, to the point I was sent home from work this week with a panic attack, but I try my best to be a good person and not to be angry. However, I see many people in a similar situation and their reaction is to be angry and to take it out on other people.

It's easier to be angry and destroy something than it is to be kind these days and that makes me so sad.

I don't know if Yu-san and his team read the comments, but I truly hope they are more thick skinned than I am.

I also find it strange that a huge part of the Shenmue charm is the warmth and kindness of the characters in the game. I think that's lost on many people. By all means, let's go for constructive criticism, but blindly attacking and hating on people is just not on. It's a fucking game at the end of the day. Granted, one that means the world to me, but it's still a game.

Sorry i'm rambling, i'm in a stream of consciousness mode.
why are you stressed about political turmoil in UK?? Its not exactly Venezuala is it! So we have decided to leave the EU, fun fact - not every country will want to stop trading with us. We will be fine, there may be some slowdown in coming months or year but we will recover and be fine in long term. these are all first world problems.

Dont get stressed by that and focus on the family and friends issues mate! They have a good saying in Cape Verde to get you through... 'No stress'

why are you stressed about political turmoil in UK?? Its not exactly Venezuala is it! So we have decided to leave the EU, fun fact - not every country will want to stop trading with us. We will be fine, there may be some slowdown in coming months or year but we will recover and be fine in long term. these are all first world problems.

Dont get stressed by that and focus on the family and friends issues mate! They have a good saying in Cape Verde to get you through... 'No stress'

Ah, well that's because i'm very sensitive and gentle hearted, so things get to me a lot easier than some people. Of course, the UK's situation is not as bad as Venezuala, but it's still unpleasant. I work in local government and I have noticed a sea change in the way people have acted in the last few years.

I often poll clerk on election days and decided this time to back out; I don't need the stress!!!

Yeah, you're right. I try to ignore the day to day political news, but it isn't easy. I'm a naive soul and I just want to get along with everybody :)

Ah, well that's because i'm very sensitive and gentle hearted, so things get to me a lot easier than some people. Of course, the UK's situation is not as bad as Venezuala, but it's still unpleasant. I work in local government and I have noticed a sea change in the way people have acted in the last few years.

I often poll clerk on election days and decided this time to back out; I don't need the stress!!!

Yeah, you're right. I try to ignore the day to day political news, but it isn't easy. I'm a naive soul and I just want to get along with everybody :)
me too. i am sensitive to these things but I think brexit is one issue to ignore as always more going on closer to home :)

hope all is ok otherwise

me too. i am sensitive to these things but I think brexit is one issue to ignore as always more going on closer to home :)

hope all is ok otherwise

Thank you dude. I think it's more that I see the normalisation of what I call 'dick culture', in that being horrible and mean to each other seems to be hunky dory! Thank God for Shenmue for showing acts of kindness (among kicking the shit out of people!)

I think, if the total production budget was indeed $12 million, the game needs to have sold around 125,000 copies to earn back the additional money--not Kickstarter/Crowdfunderorwhatvrthfuckitscalled--that was invested in the game. (And I'm using the discounted Amazon price of $34.95 to arrive at that figure, since I'm assuming many copies sold at that price in the States.)I would project it needs to sell around 325,000 copies to earn a profit. Whatever the EGS deal provided might make that goal more attainable as well, even if we acknowledge Ys Net didn't profit from it.

The next question is whether or not simply breaking even or earning a small profit is enough incentive for a publisher like Deep Silver to fully invest in another Shenmue. I don't think Kickstarter is an option for Shenmue IV, so we'd probably be looking at a Shenmue IV with a total budget of around $5 million? Drop the English dub, focus on progressing the story, keep using UE4, maybe beg Sega for rights to some arcade games so less resources are devoted to mini games, limit the open world and that's possibly doable?

I'm starting to think that the reason Cedric seemed to pleasantly surprise by the Japanese sales, is less to do with surpassing expectations but rather cause Japan might of sold the best of the 3 major regions judging from how much it just dropped off a cliff on arrival in Europe.

I still think he just wanted to push, "Look, it's #4 and the bestselling new PS4 game this week."

To my understanding...Team ICO was never a dedicated team...rather it was a small off shoot of random members from Sony Japan's first party studio. There were some key figures within but to my understanding, they were a very small team that were constantly working on other projects as well...part of the reason why TLG took so long.

They never actually formed a dedicated studio or team within Sony, it was just an offshoot of internal developers working together under a banner of sorts.

Then The Last Guardian happened and Ueda eventually decided to leave Sony and pull a Kojima/Suzuki by forming his own independent studio (genDESIGN)...who knows what he is working on now? (I'm actually eagerly awaiting whatever it is he is working on though...I adore every last one of his games...he just might be the Hayao Miyazaki of gaming in my books)

genDESIGN is Ueda's studio and that's the studio that finished up TLG.

Despite the claims, I don't really know if Sony lost too much money on Team ICO...their games seemed reasonably budgeted that even if they did lose money they probably could still write it off in some form.

Last edited:
Yu Suzuki will be in Shanghai WePlay this week to promote the series, hopefully generating some sales along the way...View attachment 6095

Of all places, maybe China could significantly improve sales since the game takes place there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back