Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 5906
For those who care about sales in Japan, according to Tsutaya, one of the most common places to buy games and hardware in Japan, the game ranks #6 in last week's sales (11/18 - 11/25), which is lower than Luigi's Mansion 3.

The latter sold 29,718 copies two weeks ago according to Famitsu:

So I guess Shenmue 3 sold approximately 20k copies at best in Japan in the first week.

By the way, Shenmue 1 &2 sold 37,529 copies in the first week according to Media Create.

Edit: Sorry I made a huge typo. It sold 20k copies at best in Japan in its debut week, not 200k, and we still don't know the accurate figure. But since Call of Duty Modern Warfare ranked #6 two weeks ago which only sold 9,000 copies, the worst situation would be that the game sold less than 10,000 copies in Japan.
The game now ranks #20 in last week's sales.

The game now ranks #20 in last week's sales.
Famitsu had the prior week's number 20 at about 3500, so if we can expect something similar this week, we're at about 20 - 21k physical in Japan.

As far as 150k as a ceiling for the whole market, I'd assume that could be close for the holidays, but not lifetime. If we assume US and EU sales are exactly the same as JP sales (which obviously isn't true but just ignore that for the moment), then we're looking at 60 - 63k physical PS4 sales. Add in the 81k backers and we're at 141k - 144k physical PS4 sales. Add a pessimistic 10k total digital from both PSN and Epic worldwide and we're already over 150k.

Source for all assumptions: my ass

Famitsu had the prior week's number 20 at about 3500, so if we can expect something similar this week, we're at about 20 - 21k physical in Japan.

As far as 150k as a ceiling for the whole market, I'd assume that could be close for the holidays, but not lifetime. If we assume US and EU sales are exactly the same as JP sales (which obviously isn't true but just ignore that for the moment), then we're looking at 60 - 63k physical PS4 sales. Add in the 81k backers and we're at 141k - 144k physical PS4 sales. Add a pessimistic 10k total digital from both PSN and Epic worldwide and we're already over 150k.

Source for all assumptions: my ass

Digital PS4 sales are usually around 80% of physical sales, but that might not be true for the S3 launch window because the physical versions are on sale for $35 while it's full price on the PlayStation store. It's still showing as #3 on the EGS store for what it's worth, but there's no info on how many units have been sold.

I think in a lot of people's minds, they think they are helping by saying "this isn't the way it's meant to be, it's meant to be like this", but it never works. You only have to see other fandoms (naming no names) to see that what initially appears to be criticsm on the grounds of trying to make something better turns into a demand for something *they* want.

When you get down that road; when you make something to please the fanbase because you're afraid of the backlash- then that's the point you lose control. I'm still in the first part of the game, so I don't know what's in store for me, but (maybe budget aside) if this is what Yu-san wanted, then that's what I want. I won't lie, I find some bits of the game incredibly tedious, but more often than not, I am smiling from ear to ear and feel blessed to be a part of this.

Ultimately, I think a lot of the negativity comes from outside sources. I'm stressed out with the political turmoil of my country, stress with friends, family, relationships, money, to the point I was sent home from work this week with a panic attack, but I try my best to be a good person and not to be angry. However, I see many people in a similar situation and their reaction is to be angry and to take it out on other people.

It's easier to be angry and destroy something than it is to be kind these days and that makes me so sad.

I don't know if Yu-san and his team read the comments, but I truly hope they are more thick skinned than I am.

I also find it strange that a huge part of the Shenmue charm is the warmth and kindness of the characters in the game. I think that's lost on many people. By all means, let's go for constructive criticism, but blindly attacking and hating on people is just not on. It's a fucking game at the end of the day. Granted, one that means the world to me, but it's still a game.

Sorry i'm rambling, i'm in a stream of consciousness mode.

With the way the world is, I would do anything to live in the world of Shenmue.

I've said this one and I'll say it again Shenmue III will be a slow burner in terms of sales.

Its xmas and the big games will dominate. Let's see where we are come Feb/March. All this pandering over week 1 and 2 sales is just depressing people.

If we want a Shenmue 4 that badly then take to social media to let people know. Share your positive experiences of Shenmue III.

Last edited:
Digital PS4 sales are usually around 80% of physical sales, but that might not be true for the S3 launch window because the physical versions are on sale for $35 while it's full price on the PlayStation store. It's still showing as #3 on the EGS store for what it's worth, but there's no info on how many units have been sold.
You're right, that was me just lowballing everything to err on the side of caution. Pretty sure digital is much higher, and assume in reality US and EU physical sales are much higher than JP physical sales as well. Then you probably have at least a couple grand in total (again, lowballing) from South American Countries/Mexico/Canada/Australia/etc, and China + all the other Asian countries whenever it releases there.

What I find really annoying is that the press is highlighting the fact that Shenmue 3 was on 13th place on UK, pointing out it’s a failure, and Death Stranding, a game that had an almost never seen before marketing push is just at the 10th place.
I appreciate both games, but Shenmue is treaded unfairly

Debuted at 27 in Italy...

What I find really annoying is that the press is highlighting the fact that Shenmue 3 was on 13th place on UK, pointing out it’s a failure, and Death Stranding, a game that had an almost never seen before marketing push is just at the 10th place.
The press have had it in for Shenmue since day one. I'm still at a loss to figure out exactly why. Perhaps it's because they said Shenmue 3 was impossible, the mere existence of this game proves they don't have as much power and influence and they think they do. That if people can get together by themselves and crowdfund the legendary Shenmue 3 then why bother with journalists at all?

All I can say is spread the word. Keep telling your friends about Shenmue 3 and make sure they buy Shenmue 1 and 2 collection as well.

Last edited:

Launch week for Shenmue versus second week for Death Stranding, and when I googled it (just out of curiosity), there are a bucnch of headlines talking about Death Stranding underperforming, sales "slipping," etc., to be fair.

Didn't Death Stranding debut in the top 5, though?

If I look back to The Last Guardian, one of my favourite games of all time, I see it had a rough development but was marketed as hell in spite of being a niche game (with a good amount of technical issues at launch), it received quite some praises but in the end it sold “only” 470.000 copies in the first week.
I don’t really know Shenmue 3 numbers, but if not counting the backers copy it managed to sell at least 300K in the first week I’d consider it a miracle

If I look back to The Last Guardian, one of my favourite games of all time, I see it had a rough development but was marketed as hell in spite of being a niche game (with a good amount of technical issues at launch), it received quite some praises but in the end it sold “only” 470.000 copies in the first week.
I don’t really know Shenmue 3 numbers, but if not counting the backers copy it managed to sell at least 300K in the first week I’d consider it a miracle
The difference between that and Shenmue is that The Last Guardian was in development for the better part of a decade and no doubt had a giant budget when compared to Shenmue. We need to differentiate what’s poor sales and what’s profit.

It's pretty amazing Team Ico's stayed in business for so long. Have any of their games sold well? I think they're just a 'prestige' studio for Sony.

The difference between that and Shenmue is that The Last Guardian was in development for the better part of a decade and no doubt had a giant budget when compared to Shenmue. We need to differentiate what’s poor sales and what’s profit.

true.
I was comparing the games for their possibly similiar genre and target audience.

you guys really need to chill on these sales man....it was never gonna sell gangbusters and we keep saying we dont don't what yu suki and them wanted it to sale to be a success. they saw the pre-orders, the fact that amazon sold out is the reason how much copies they wanted to make. you guys are stressing out and it's only been 3 weeks. enjoy the present, let the future come when it comes

They know that tens of thousands of people are willing to spend hundreds on the series, if Shenmue III sells 200k or so (including backer copies) I'd be very suprised if Deep Silver or some other mid-level publisher doesn't invest 5 or 6 million into a Shenmue IV. And given that everything is in place from Shenmue III's development, 5 or 6 million should be enough to fund it. I'm a miserable depressed fucker and even I'm not as down as some of you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back