Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno how some of you expected Shenmue 3 to outsell some of the biggest games of the fourth quarter, especially when it was out for about ten days. Chill out... and I say that as someone who’s always been worried about sales.

Shenmue III is still #3 seller on Epic so how accurate are these charts?

It doesn’t appear to track Epic. I’m reluctant to believe a platform known mostly for a free game kids play is gonna be a huge platform
For Shenmue, though.

Shenmue III is still #3 seller on Epic so how accurate are these charts?
NPD is legit, this isn't "gamstat". :p Anyways, to @mjqjazzbar's point, it's not completely unthinkable to think S3 could've sold 50k retail + digital copies in November in North America and STILL gotten boxed out of the top 20 by million sellers like MK11 and whatnot considering the time of year. I was kind of hesitant to point this out earlier because I didn't want it to seem like I'm discounting the very real possibility that the game bombed. I'm not, and obviously charting in the top 20 would've been much more assuring.

I totally agree it could’ve bombed, but the game came out a few days before Christmas season began. I doubt it was topping many kids’ lists to Santa. I wouldn’t lose much sleep over it not hitting the top 20. Also remember how huge the market is in the US compared to many of the countries’ lists we’ve seen... Something like Death Stranding, which had a multimillion dollar budget, having an underwhelming performance is much worse than a crowdfunded game not selling millions of copies.

I totally agree it could’ve bombed, but the game came out a few days before Christmas season began. I doubt it was topping many kids’ lists to Santa. I wouldn’t lose much sleep over it not hitting the top 20. Also remember how huge the market is in the US compared to many of the countries’ lists we’ve seen... Something like Death Stranding, which had a multimillion dollar budget, having an underwhelming performance is much worse than a crowdfunded game not selling millions of copies.
Yeah I was agreeing with your point, I was simply pre-empting some of the more negative members calling me overly optimistic or w/e when that wasn't my point.

I dunno how some of you expected Shenmue 3 to outsell some of the biggest games of the fourth quarter, especially when it was out for about ten days. Chill out... and I say that as someone who’s always been worried about sales.

I didn't expect it to outsell anything...but I was at least hoping it would crack the Top 20...at the very least.

Doesn't necessarily mean death, but still, wish it did better.

I didn't expect it to outsell anything...but I was at least hoping it would crack the Top 20...at the very least.

Doesn't necessarily mean death, but still, wish it did better.

I think people really need to temper their expectations. Appearing in the top 20 in a month that includes Black Friday sales and some of the biggest releases of the year would have represented a phenomenal result. Add to that the fact that S3 was sold at a reduced price (these charts track $ sales, not units sold), was already purchased by hardcore fans through Kickstarter, was only on sale for one third of the month and was only available on one of the three major consoles and these results shouldn’t be at all surprising.

Guys, these datas still don't take into account a single PC copy. The Epic Store is not included :)

Guys, these datas still don't take into account a single PC copy. The Epic Store is not included :)

However, there is a list of top-10 PS4 games as well. I would say I'm concerned but it really comes down to the game meeting the sales expectations. It is true that kickstarter copies aren't part of the data and the game was only on sale for 1/3 of the month, but obviously we'd all feel much better if it at least appeared within the 20th spot or 10th spot out of PS4 games.

However, there is a list of top-10 PS4 games as well. I would say I'm concerned but it really comes down to the game meeting the sales expectations. It is true that kickstarter copies aren't part of the data and the game was only on sale for 1/3 of the month, but obviously we'd all feel much better if it at least appeared within the 20th spot or 10th spot out of PS4 games.
Spider-Man was on sale for $10-$15 in few places during the Black Friday period and only just scraped into the charts. God of War (most peoples’ GOTY last year) was on sale for $10 and didn’t make it in. Comparing Shenmue to the games in these charts is apples to oranges. 8 of the top 20 places were Switch games and most of the rest were huge multi-platform games made by AAA publishers that sell tens of millions of copies. It would have been amazing if Shenmue had charted, but it’s very possible that the game still sold 50k-100k copies and just didn’t make it in.

One more thing: all of those games are AAA titles :) all of them. They were made with a budget that ranges in the hundreds of millions of $. Had there been in the list even one AA title, I would have been a bit disappointed, but there is not.

No-one expected it to crack top 5 but top 10 in first and top 30 second week sales - yes we did expect that

I still feel we will get shenmue 4 so dont worry :)

Paly-asia have Shenmue 3 PS4 only 1in Stock

Play-Asia sells the Hong Kong version, right?

Their short stock may be explained by people from China mainland buying that version.
It's still uinknown when Shenmue 3 will be launched in China. The government has yet to greenlight it.

Play-Asia sells the Hong Kong version, right?

Their short stock may be explained by people from China mainland buying that version.
It's still uinknown when Shenmue 3 will be launched in China. The government has yet to greenlight it.
Knowing the Chinese government, they probably never will...

No-one expected it to crack top 5 but top 10 in first and top 30 second week sales - yes we did expect that

I still feel we will get shenmue 4 so dont worry :)
That would mean it sold nearly as much as Death Stranding and Star Wars. Cmon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back