Shenmue 3 Sales

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do those charts include Kickstarter sales? Digital purchase? PC sales? Too many variables to be gloomy about it.

It wouldn't because kickstarter is not technically a sale but funding of the game. Any copies provided are technically "rewards".

Yeah the chart means very little then.

WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE!
Fantasy_Zone_Title.png

Charts are hard to judge now because of the digital/physical split never mind the Kickstarter factor.

Also with the various versions and DLC stuff they’re not a great indicator of the profit a game makes. So Shenmue could make lower total sales but if more people have gone for the premium versions and extra content that could skew the total amount.

The Kickstarter funding level shows a very high level of engagement so the total unit sales could be low but still it could return a healthy margin.

North America
  1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare (1)
  2. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (New)
  3. Death Stranding (New)
  4. Need for Speed Heat (New)
  5. GTA V (9) $29.99 -> $9.89
  6. NBA 2K20 (6) $59.99 -> $29.99
  7. FIFA 20 (4) $59.99 -> $29.99
  8. NFL 20 (RE) $59.99 -> $35.99
  9. God of War (15) $19.99 -> $9.99
  10. The Outer Worlds (3) $59.99 -> $44.99
  11. Rainbow Six Siege (11) $39.99 -> $11.99
  12. Spider-Man (16) $39.99 -> $14.99
  13. Minecraft (5)
  14. Red Dead Redemption 2 (13) $59.99 -> $29.99
  15. Castle Crashers Remastered (RE) $14.99 -> $8.99
  16. Days Gone (RE) $39.99 -> $19.99
  17. UFC 3 (RE) $29.99 -> $14.99
  18. Ghost Recon Breakpoint (2) $59.99 -> $29.99
  19. Assassin's Creed Odyssey (RE) $59.99 -> $17.99
  20. Resident Evil 2 (RE) $59.99 -> $19.79

I get what you’re saying but since NPD tracks by $$$, that makes those results even more impressive

Ah. Got it. Never mind. I’m used to being wrong about most things.

those are definitely all franchises or games you could imagine the most mainstream of gamers playing...

Ah. Got it. Never mind. I’m used to being wrong about most things.

those are definitely all franchises or games you could imagine the most mainstream of gamers playing...
Yeah. A little surprised DS didn’t allow Sony to put Shenmue in the sale considering the hugely discounted prices elsewhere in America. Even a small discount would probably have shifted a lot more units through PSN. Their marketing strategy really doesn’t make much sense to me.

Just loaded up the game this morning and I was at the port. Shenmue III, character models aside, is a beautiful game. I am enjoying it and even taking my time where other games (because of time restrains) I usually just power through it. Fingers cross it sales a good amount but never saw it being mainstream and I think that is mainly down to the lack of marketing, poor marketing when it did exist and a general lack of polish. This game could have done with another year or so in development or better planning from the start.

In annoys me when you look at the beautiful environments, certain NPCs that are on point only to come across a guy with a grotesque face or body build and that is what is shown in the trailers. You fix the voice acting, you fix the character models and you have a game that will appeal outside the fan base.

Last edited:
You think he's sick of us asking about sales yet? :ROFLMAO: It's pretty cool that he keeps responding to us though, even when there's nothing he can say.

View attachment 6439

PS: Joel stop ghosting the dojo :p

TBH Shenmue 4 will most likely get made because the community is so diehard and relentless. The game hasn't been out a full month and we can't stop asking about Shenmue 4. I'm so glad there are so many fans worldwide that feel the same way I feel about Shenmue. Cedric you should just go ahead and announce Shenmue 4. The Shenmue community will have its revenge.

The voice acting could have the best actors and actresses in the history of the universe and the same brain dead morons would still trash it. There is no winning.
It's not the voice acting (that is pretty meh to bad), the writing is just very stilted, Ryo (and NPCs also) always repeating the same lines, tedious dialogue that makes it stale quite fast:

Look at 55 seconds, that's the reaction that most people get.
One example that really stuck on my head is at the end of the game
Ryo says to Shenhua something like: You should go to Yuan, and Shenhua responds with "my father ?"
That's something that amateurs tend to do when introducing characters or as clutch when they are not really sure that the audience might follow the conversation or know the characters, but man, that was at the end of the game.

It's not the voice acting (that is pretty meh to bad), the writing is just very stilted, Ryo (and NPCs also) always repeating the same lines, tedious dialogue that makes it stale quite fast:

Look at 55 seconds, that's the reaction that most people get.
One example that really stuck on my head is at the end of the game
Ryo says to Shenhua something like: You should go to Yuan, and Shenhua responds with "my father ?"
That's something that amateurs tend to do when introducing characters or as clutch when they are not really sure that the audience might follow the conversation or know the characters, but man, that was at the end of the game.
I get it. I agree in some instances. Shenmue has some issues with voice acting and scriptwriting and voice direction, I can get on board there. I just loathe when the same people who say every single line, every single actor/actress, EVERYTHING is "the worst it will ever be in the history of ever". You simply cannot look at Paul Lucas' Lan Di for example, and say that's bad acting. Don't like the script? Fine. His voice? Fine. But it simply isn't true for everything in this game. Every single time I've played all three games in either language, I've always thought the good voices outweighed the bad by a far margin. Not everyone has to share my opinion, so don't expect me to roll over and take yours shoved down my throat either (not directed at you specifically, just that crowd).

Edited...don't mean to come off so angry.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back