Shenmue 3 is really amazing

That doesn't even make sense. Shenmue I and II do it the exact same way, in fact almost every developer does it this way. The skinned meshes you see are controlled by the scripting language which is pretty much 1:1 to what UE4's Sequencer does. It loads in the meshes, places them at their relevant positions and plays the animations.

Repeatedly stating that it's clumsy doesn't make it so.. it is still only your opinion. I think you have trouble accepting this reality.

Do what in the exact same way ? Have a transition that abrupt ? When did it happen ?

Right, I guess I see your point, if you mean the way cutscenes are programmed. But when it comes to the actual camera shots... Clearly, Shenmue III is doing something wrong.

Yeah, it's not like the intro cutscene in the Dojo in Shenmue I with Lan Di is using anything from the VF engine, it's all just static animation played out in sequence.

I personally think there weren't that many QTEs, since that's what I really loved from the originals, just as much as the amazing cutscenes from the first two games. But I do think that by looking at Shenmue III in an optimistic and logical way, that there are a fair few good aspects to the game in relation to its position in the series.

My only criticism about this cutscene is that the ending transition into the Niaowu cutscene is a little too quick, considering the music peaks around that time, but overall, for what this game is, and more importantly how this game was conceived (being backed by almost 70k), I think it works pretty well.

More than my opinion, the transition between Yeh's speech and the scene is clumsy to the point it looks awkward to the point you can see how they made it: They basically used the conversation system to make her speak from that angle and already had placed Ryo and Shenhua facing the moon. It's... clumsy. And as for Ryo's practicing... Shenmue II was doing that so much better 20 years ago, it's not even funny:

You can clearly tell that the people who were in charge of Shenmue II cutscene knew a shiton of stuff when it came to scene directing. Even today, it's still a lesson in quality. (damn this game is fucking good)
It's still your opinion. Yes the Shenmue 1 and 2 have better cut scene direction but for me the ending of Bailu doesn't feel or look clumsy. That's my opinion.

You can clearly tell that the people who were in charge of Shenmue II cutscene knew a shiton of stuff when it came to scene directing. Even today, it's still a lesson in quality. (damn this game is fucking good)

I agree. Shenmue II is on another level. Still enjoy many of the cutscenes from that game. Ryo arriving at Langhuishan by boat is another favourite.

Shenmue III 17 years ago would have had way more grinding. Leveling up your moves back in Shenmue 1 took so long, it had zero effect on your battles until the 70 man battle. I for one do not have 30 hours of real life time to level up one move. Shenmue III streamlines training and makes it actuallya factor in your next fight , because you can level up quickly and actually use the increased strength in a timely manner.
Shenmue III is amazing. The minigames are great , i love the fishing. The chicken/duck catching gameplay is fun and challenging, and prepares your reflexes for storyline qtes. I love the music. The combat is fun and refreshing. When we were in the huge lull between Shenmue 2 and 3, I would play Shenmue II, and rationalise that if they ever did make Shenmue III, it would be a carbon copy of Shenmue II. I'm glad to see Yu Suzuki dod not rest on his laurels, and aspired to rebuild the combat from the ground up. The input system has a method to its madness: horizontal swiping moves are done with square -circle, and vertical striking moves are done with triangle-X sequences. It is fun, and wall slamming opponents adds a mechanic to the combat that was not in Shenmue 1 or 2. Environmental damage from wall splatting enemies opens up new combos.

I wish the mods would keep the threads on topic. Too many people are just coming to this thread and derailing it, mentioning the same trite redundant criticisms we've already heard 100 times now. When it gets this excessive, its trolling. Please keep this thread on topic. Shenmue III is an awesome game, and the Dlc is only making it better. Love the Battle Rally, and the Story quest Dlc got me right back into the gameplay loop, loved every minute of it, fishing , gambling and all.

It's hard to tell where lack of directing knowledge comes and when time/budget constraints start.
S3 lacked many cutscenes and QTEs because animating is just expensive (most of the animated cutscenes are pretty well animated, specially for martial arts stuff that even directing real actors is extremely hard). Some animations are difficult to see if they "work" until the cutscene is assembled, and I doubt they had enough money to do many iterations to manually tweak everything.
Some things just look "worse" because there's a lot of the camera movement is done by tweening, which is efficient but for our eyes it looks robotic (or that something is off), manually keying all the movement/postprocess is time consuming.
But if you want to record a scene 100 guys will make it 100 ways, some are better, some are worse.
I think that the ending sequence with Lan Di better (or at least on par) animated/directed than the stuff in S1/2 and many of the QTEs look pretty great.

Shenmue III 17 years ago would have had way more grinding. Leveling up your moves back in Shenmue 1 took so long, it had zero effect on your battles until the 70 man battle. I for one do not have 30 hours of real life time to level up one move. Shenmue III streamlines training and makes it actuallya factor in your next fight , because you can level up quickly and actually use the increased strength in a timely manner.
Shenmue III is amazing. The minigames are great , i love the fishing. The chicken/duck catching gameplay is fun and challenging, and prepares your reflexes for storyline qtes. I love the music. The combat is fun and refreshing. When we were in the huge lull between Shenmue 2 and 3, I would play Shenmue II, and rationalise that if they ever did make Shenmue III, it would be a carbon copy of Shenmue II. I'm glad to see Yu Suzuki dod not rest on his laurels, and aspired to rebuild the combat from the ground up. The input system has a method to its madness: horizontal swiping moves are done with square -circle, and vertical striking moves are done with triangle-X sequences. It is fun, and wall slamming opponents adds a mechanic to the combat that was not in Shenmue 1 or 2. Environmental damage from wall splatting enemies opens up new combos.

I wish the mods would keep the threads on topic. Too many people are just coming to this thread and derailing it, mentioning the same trite redundant criticisms we've already heard 100 times now. When it gets this excessive, its trolling. Please keep this thread on topic. Shenmue III is an awesome game, and the Dlc is only making it better. Love the Battle Rally, and the Story quest Dlc got me right back into the gameplay loop, loved every minute of it, fishing , gambling and all.
Love the positivity here.

Just be aware mods make the final call on any discussion (we want to foster discussion on both sides of an arguement) and backseat moderating isn't tolerated

Last edited:

Shenmue III's combat system being new has more to do with YS not being able to reuse the previous one rather than "not wanting to rest on his laurels".

And the problem with it is that the input system is badly designed. Whoever thought that having a string of buttons to make combos would be a good idea was wrong af because it introduced input lag in the combat system because when you press the kick button (A/Cross), the game doesnt instantly execute it, because it gives a small pause in case the user wants to input more buttons to execute a different move. This is a bad design. It's even weird because the game also has another control scheme for some combos, which is to press LT and then input buttons for a combo. This should've been how every move works.

As for the rest of the system, while I appreciate the enthusiasm... There's no denying that the physics is bad.

Love the positivity here.

Just be aware mods make the final call on any discussion (we want to foster discussion on both sides of an arguement) and backseat moderating isn't tolerated
Sure , no backseat moderating. I will just hit the ignore button on the same five people who keep trying to derail every thread to the same two complaints. Just one question , if somebody makes a thread saying Shenmue III is amazing, why is that an invitation to an "argument"? If someone is celebrating the positives if the game I fail to see why that thread is automatically a platform for an "argument". Ce la vi. I, for one am having a great time through this amazing game. I just finished running through Bailu Village again in new game plus, and it holds up. A solid Shenmue installment that can hold up to the previous entries. I took my time and actually won the Fishing tournament!! Got my Catfish Fishing jacket! Great to see Yu Suzuki upgraded the game and added new clothes Ryo could switch to. He could have just left the fishing game in there as it is, but went the extra mile to add a quest with special fish to track down. I am grateful this series even got a sequel by sone miracle , and I lived long enough to see it. I am having fun with what is actually in the game, rather than lamenting what wasn't.20200305_062615.jpg
Rocking the Fishing Jacket!!! They hate us because they aint us!!!

Last edited:
I also believe that Shenmue 3 is amazing.

When I reached it's ending I didn't feel disappointed.
Unlike MGS V where when I saw the ending I was super disappointed and annoyed.(Also Shenmue 3 as a low budget game had far better and more fun open world compared to that trainwreck.)

The only thing of Shenmue 3 that I didn't really like was it's combat but Shenmue never had a good combat. In other gameplay elements 3 managed to surpass 1 and 2 for me.

I also believe that Shenmue 3 is amazing.

When I reached it's ending I didn't feel disappointed.
Unlike MGS V where when I saw the ending I was super disappointed and annoyed.(Also Shenmue 3 as a low budget game had far better and more fun open world compared to that trainwreck.)

The only thing of Shenmue 3 that I didn't really like was it's combat but Shenmue never had a good combat. In other gameplay elements 3 managed to surpass 1 and 2 for me.

Shenmue I and II had great combat, with a nice learning curve. Was it perfect ? No. But it greatly benefited from VF's engine and datas such as mocapped animations being reused.

Which means the fights had weight and good momentum and also better physics than the one in Shenmue III, which combat system is fundamentally flawed because of its input system.

As for the rest... Yes, Shenmue III has better controls. Kudos to the devs to manage that 20 years later.

As for the rest... Yes, Shenmue III has better controls. Kudos to the devs to manage that 20 years later.
Not just better controls though.

-Better open world
-more mini games
-proper new game plus mode and difficulty setting
-Stamina system that actually forces you to think about making money and more ways to make money compare to previous games.
-More side quests and a more useful notebook.(That Ryo writes all side quests and a map in that)
-Bigger environments and no loading screens when you enter shops.

Not just better controls though.

-Better open world
-more mini games
-proper new game plus mode and difficulty setting
-Stamina system that actually forces you to think about making money and more ways to make money compare to previous games.
-More side quests and a more useful notebook.(That Ryo writes all side quests and a map in that)
-Bigger environments and no loading screens when you enter shops.

The open world was better constructed in both I and II because it was built to serve a narrative purpose and to be believable. Shenmue III's open world is built to serve the gameplay mechanics and its designed is flawed for this very reason.

So no, it's not better.

More mini games ? Arguable. Shenmue I and II actually had real video games arcades.

More sidequest is nice. But the thing is, they're complete shit. Fangmei's entire sidequest or Nozomi's sidequest or even Megumi's sidequest is a million times more interesting that all the sidequests in III altogether.

The rest is QoL that doesnt make or break a game.

It's like saying "This game with a far worse story, universe, visuals and such as less load times and higher framerate, therefore it's better."

Back