Shenmue 3 is really amazing

The sentiment against Shenmue III is so Fucking unfair. Yu Suzuki had $70 million dollars and at least six years to make Shenmue 1 and 2. He made a whole SATURN VERSION OF SHENMUE that never saw the light of day!! He only had $6 million to make Shenmue III. Shenmue 2 is Shenmue on steroids. People like to romanticise the past, but Shenmue 1 had a girl on the cover of the game who only appeared in the game start screen and one dream sequence. How is that more complete a story tgan Shenmue 3? Shenhua is the main protagonist and you dont even meet her in the entire 3 disc game!

Shenmue 2 , as awesome as it was only had you meet Shenhua on the FOURTH freaking disk of the game!!! Again, Shenhua is the MAIN FEMALE PROTAGONIST of the game. How are either of those games advancing the story more than Shenmue 3?? If anything, Shenmue III the ACTUAL begining of the main story of the series, since both the main female and male protaginist are in the entire game, and Shenmue 1 and 2 are just prequels. I played through Bailu chapter again through new game plus, and it holds up. Shenmue III is as much a classic as Shenmue 1 and 2, it just needs a few years to become a cult classic. People bashing Shenmue III are on the wrong side of history.

Shenmue III budget was 12 millions. Of course, it's not as much as I and II. But on the other hand, making a Shenmue title today is also a less expensive task than it was 20 years ago. Everything was to be built. Every systems were to be made. From engines to game systems and such. Hence why Shenmue III was possible today with 12 millions.

As for "romanticising the past", that's totally wrong. I mean, no offense but your entire argument is silly and doesn't hold up a second. You're basing the entire premise of "there's little story in Shenmue I and II because Shenhua who's on the cover appears only in CD4 of 2, therefore, Shenmue I and II are slow af".

Sorry, but have you ever heard of world building ? Character developpement ? There's a lot of things that happens in I. And even more that happens in II. I introduced a lot of people to the serie in preparation of III. From 15 to 23. From different genders too. All of them loved I and II. None of them enjoyed III.

Why ? That's pretty simple but for this you need to analyse what made Shenmue I and II so special. The genius of those two games comes from those main point:
- Taking time to introduce their universe and characters:

Shenmue games are slow. But they ultimately ALWAYS have a pay-off. That pay-off is, while the game can be tedious at times, it's always meaningful because not only it makes sense story wise, it also always build up an interesting world and character cast. Both feels really alive. The player grows up with Ryo and feels attached to that world that unfold before them. Everything is linked altogether, everything feels alive and believable. Those NPCs feels like actual characters and it feels as such because even if you dont pay attention, the developpers actually made a background for every single of them, even those who had those generic lines to tell you they're busy.

Shenmue III on the other hand feels really artificial. In fact, it feels more like a game than its predecessor. You never get attached to the NPCs because they don't feel like characters belonging in a world, they feel like video game NPCs. Characters only meant to serve a gameplay purpose, never to make that world feel alive.

Speaking of the world, it's another problem where Shenmue III feels like it was meant as a game before anything else.

In I and II, the world was created to feel natural and alive. In III it feels like every other generic AAA game world in the way it's built. And the perfect exemple for this is... Bailu. The way Bailu was designed, or re-designed, was to accomodate for the gameplay mechanics. As such, Bailu feels more modern that it should be. It has an arcade, because you need mini-games, it has a lot of gambling games, because the game requires you to make money later on, it has training spots and a dojo, because the game requires that. The way the map was conceived was to serve the mechanics and not the world itself. Which is why it's badly designed for Shenmue, which leads to the other important part of Shenmue:

- It manages to integrate gameplay and narration altogether.
In Shenmue III, training feels like a gameplay mechanic. Not a good one though because it doesn't make sense. It is one that comes through repetition of tedious task. One would say "like martial art !" And I'd say yes. But it's missing one key component: Time. Thing is, you can farm that training. Which means in a few ingame days, Ryo can max out his level. I never seen any martial artist becoming perfect in two sparring session and 3 days of horse stance. In Shenmue I and II, training were important narrative bits. Especially in II. The wude learning for exemple. But it goes even further than that because Shenmue also manage to integrate game design elements in the cutscenes and narration. For exemple, that Xiuying cutscene, where you fight her and you cant hit her. It serve the purpose to make a great scene but also show the player, both in term of visuals but also gameplay, how wide the gap is between them. In the CD4, conversations and interactions between Shenhua are meant both optional but also interactive for the player, to make it engaging and personnal. For exemple, the campfire discussion, which is not only a well crafted but also involves the player. The Shenhua singing scene too, where the player can either listen and see the beautiful cutscene, or interrupt her. The barber QTE too.

Let's say that Shenmue III has none of those great elements.

And that's why I dont think III will ever be a cult classic, or even a classic. I actually think time wont be kind to it. We'll remember it because it was wanted and had a successful Kickstarter. But because III decided to flex its muscles in area where it doesn't even shine instead of being meaningful... It'll never reach the same status.

It's a classic to me personally, I just love the gameplay loop. Hopefully Shenmue IV will fix the story problems that III has, so it'll be looked back upon in a more positive light as a series whole.

Shenmue III's a bit like the Rocky IV of the series. A lot of training montages and not a lot happens but instead of Ryo smashing the shit out of Lan Di, he's just like 'nope' and the story continues.

We all knew this beforehand. But the critique isn't unfair at all. Good storytelling doesn't require $70 million. There are much cheaper games having great stories. Apart from a lot of other things already being discussed here, what made S3 a worse game than the previous two for a lot of people was the lack of story progression, the darn grinding and repetitive plot in Bailu and Niaowu. It was basically the same game repeated in two different areas.
Honestly, who are you to decide what's "good storytelling" . Telling you what you want to hear? Please regail me with your Hugo award winning fan fiction. A lot of people on the internet are backseat drivers when it comes to entertainment media, claiming they could do a better job (Game of Thrones, The Last Jedi , etc ) When in reality, they would just have a panic attack and faint if they had to present a book report to class . The internet has inspired fandom to get too big for their britches. They really need to know their role.

Shenmue was planned from the outset as a 16 chapter saga. Everything was plotted out for a 5 game series. It's just your amateur opinion that the story was poor. I think the story of Shenmue was awesome. Its a matter of perspective. You might as well just say that the storytelling for Shenmue 4 will already be poor just because it doesnt reach the conclusion of Lan Di being defeated by Ryo at the end of it. There is plenty of great interesting storytelling in Shenmue III, (the story of the Verdant bridge, the martial arts history of bailu, Niao Sun's apparent connection to nobility, Shenhua's family history, the mystery of her mother. The dissention within the Chi Yo Men) a lot of people are just backseat directors these days and dont appreciate it.

Last edited:
Honestly, who are you to decide what's "good storytelling" . Telling you what you want to hear? Please regail me with yoyr Hugo award winning fan fiction. A lot of people on the internet are backseat drivers when it comes to entertainment media, claiming they could do a better job (Game of Thrones, The Ladt Jedi , etc ) When in reality, they would just have a panic attack and faint if they had to present a book repirt to class . The internet has inspired fandom to get too big for their britches. They really need to know their role.
Less of this. Feel free to disagree but all that tone will do is get people's backs up.

Shenmue was planned from the outset as a 16 chapter saga. Everything was plitted out for a 5 game series. It's just your amateur opinion that the story was poor. I think the story of Shenmue was awesome. Its a matter of perspective. There is plenty of great interesting storytelling in Shenmue III, (the story of the Verdant bridge, the martial arts history of bailu, Niao Sun's apparent connection to nobility, Shenhua's family history, the mystery of her mother. The dissention within the Chi Yo Men).
More of this. The why to back up what your saying from your perspective and it is a matter of perspective/opinion. No one person is right or wrong here.

I really enjoyed the Bailu section of Shenmue III, if anything I wanted more of it in terms of the history, mirrors, Iwao etc. I'll bang on about this until the cows come home but I really loved the ending sequence in Bailu, it felt like proper Shenmue in everything it delivered.

Last edited:
Honestly, who are you to decide what's "good storytelling" . Telling you what you want to hear? Please regail me with yoyr Hugo award winning fan fiction. A lot of people on the internet are backseat drivers when it comes to entertainment media, claiming they could do a better job (Game of Thrones, The Ladt Jedi , etc ) When in reality, they would just have a panic attack and faint if they had to present a book repirt to class . The internet has inspired fandom to get too big for their britches. They really need to know their role.

Shenmue was planned from the outset as a 16 chapter saga. Everything was plitted out for a 5 game series. It's just your amateur opinion that the story was poor. I think the story of Shenmue was awesome. Its a matter of perspective. You might as well just that the storytelling for Shenmue 4 will already be poor just because it doesnt reach the conclusion of Lan Di being defeated by Ryo at the end of it. There is plenty of great interesting storytelling in Shenmue III, (the story of the Verdant bridge, the martial arts history of bailu, Niao Sun's apparent connection to nobility, Shenhua's family history, the mystery of her mother. The dissention within the Chi Yo Men) a lot of people are just backseat directors these days and dont appreciate it.

A matter of perspective ? Sorry but yeah, you can be unable to write a good story and yet being able to say when one is good or not. Do you have an award in anything to say the story is great ? This is the worst argument ever, seriously. It's crazy how when people like sth "they're clever and of good tastes" and when they dont "they're backseat naysayers".

Sorry but Shenmue III's writing is bad. I can explain why.
It's bad because it fails to introduce any memorable characters. It's bad because the way it introduce Niao Sun is terrible.

It tries to make a "betrayal moment" except the person she was impersonating had little screen time and interaction, hardly any back story nor anything.

You can have interesting thematics, which Shenmue III has and you can have terrible execution, which is the case of Shenmue III. The game is unable to set up any worthwile plot element in a detailled or meaningful way.

And it wasn't a "matter of perspective" but actual facts that you can establish.

Aggressive posting tone, belittling comments, TOS breaches
More armchair quarterbacking. It always amuses me when high school drop outs jump on their computer and claim they could do a better job than Hollywood directors and game designers that have more smash hit video games than they've had girlfriends. Nobody on this site is a high school drop out of course, its just an assessment of the internet in general.

Remember the Kikizo article a few years back that said Shenmue III was inevitably coming to Xbox? Of course not because you are not real Shenmue fans and just pirated the game recently on an emulator. Shenmue III was already plotted out, over 17 years ago. This current Shenmue III IS that game , from beginning to end with some graphical upgrades, quality of life improvements and added minigames. I will defend the Shenmue III to the death because if it came out 17 years ago on time, I and my contemporaries would have loved it. The ADDHD millenials dont appreciate this game or much anything else in entertainment. Thats their loss. Yu Suzuki is the underdog at this point , and I'm rooting for him. Shenmue III is a redemption story in more ways than one.

Ghosttrick everything you said in defense of Shenmue 1 and 2 , I apply to defend Shenmue III. Thank you for just proving my point further

Last edited:
More armchair quarterbacking. It always amuses me when high school drop outs jump on their computer and claim they could do a better job than Hollywood directors and game designers that have more smash hit video games than they've had girlfriends. Nobody on this site is a high school drop out of course, its just an assessment of the internet in general.

Rememner the Kikizo article a few years back that said Shenmue III was inevitably coming to Xbox? Of course not becauseyou are not real Shenmue fans and just pirated the game recently on an emulator. Shenmue III was already plotted out, over 17 years ago. This current Shenmue III IS that game , from beginning to end with some graphical upgrades, quality of life improvements and added minigames. I will defend the Shenmue III to the death because if it came out 17 years ago on time, I and my contemporaries would have loved it. The ADDHD millenials dont appreciate this game or much anything else in entertainment. Thats their loss. Yu Suzuki is the underdog at this point , and I'm roiting for him. Shenmue III is a redeption story in more ways than one.

Ghosttrick everything you said in defense of Shenmue 1 and 2 , I apply to defend Shenmue III. Thank you for just proving my point further
Right I've been more than fair here.

I'm more than pleased you're wanting to defend Shenmue III but coming from someone who also loves this game we cannot be so aggressive towards people on the opposite side of the discussion.

Disputing if people are real fans isn't happening on here. We can still like the games but point out areas for improvement, constructively. Your posts are getting people riled where, quite simply, if you took a less aggressive tone people would happily engage in discussion.

This has been said for the critics of the game and goes for supporters too.

Drop the aggressive posts. Defend your view of course but do so in a calm/respectful manner or step away.

Honestly, who are you to decide what's "good storytelling" . Telling you what you want to hear? Please regail me with your Hugo award winning fan fiction. A lot of people on the internet are backseat drivers when it comes to entertainment media, claiming they could do a better job (Game of Thrones, The Last Jedi , etc ) When in reality, they would just have a panic attack and faint if they had to present a book report to class . The internet has inspired fandom to get too big for their britches. They really need to know their role.

Shenmue was planned from the outset as a 16 chapter saga. Everything was plotted out for a 5 game series. It's just your amateur opinion that the story was poor. I think the story of Shenmue was awesome. Its a matter of perspective. You might as well just that the storytelling for Shenmue 4 will already be poor just because it doesnt reach the conclusion of Lan Di being defeated by Ryo at the end of it. There is plenty of great interesting storytelling in Shenmue III, (the story of the Verdant bridge, the martial arts history of bailu, Niao Sun's apparent connection to nobility, Shenhua's family history, the mystery of her mother. The dissention within the Chi Yo Men) a lot of people are just backseat directors these days and dont appreciate it.

Watch your tone. There's no point in being an ass to others here acting like this. Let's send that question right back at you: who, beside you and a few others, thinks Shenmue III has a good story? That the story is really good compared to both S1 and S2 as well as other great games in general? S3 will never be remember for its story. Not a chance. We learnt very, very little, it was a missed opportunity given the chance Yu Suzuki was offered. I liked the Verdant bridge part, but Niao Sun was just thrown in there and given very little time. Yu Suzuki was far too busy letting us look for thugs, I guess.

Remember the Kikizo article a few years back that said Shenmue III was inevitably coming to Xbox? Of course not because you are not real Shenmue fans and just pirated the game recently on an emulator. Shenmue III was already plotted out, over 17 years ago. This current Shenmue III IS that game , from beginning to end with some graphical upgrades, quality of life improvements and added minigames. I will defend the Shenmue III to the death because if it came out 17 years ago on time, I and my contemporaries would have loved it. The ADDHD millenials dont appreciate this game or much anything else in entertainment. Thats their loss. Yu Suzuki is the underdog at this point , and I'm rooting for him. Shenmue III is a redemption story in more ways than one.

Keep belittling me. It proves one thing: In all of your posts, you have been unable to argue in favor of Shenmue III by explaining why you think it's good. And as opposed to you, I dont think that you're a moron or that you're unable to articutale a legitimate argument. No, I just think that there's just no argument in favor of Shenmue III that you can push, hence why you're so angry.

Yes, I'm a millenial, whatever. I only discovered the game in 2007 so my opinion doesn't matter. People playing on emulators are filthy pirates, whatever. But you forget that it's also those people who you insult that are the reason why that IP didn't fell into irrelevance. Not that it's that relevant today, mind you. I mean, I dont see Shenmue going back in full force, especially after III.

But I'll tell you something. I have seen people as young as 19 discovering Shenmue I and II as early as this year. And you know what ? They got the grasp of what made it so good, despite its age, as opposed to you. ;)

What I said about Shenmue I and II, you can apply it to 3 ?

Well then sir, I'm waiting. :)
I'm all ears :D
Why dont you tell me about all those amazing set pieces ? Why dont you tell me about those memorable antagonists ??
Heck, explain to me how the cutscenes are shot just as good, or even better, according to you ?

I'm waiting :D

Keep belittling me. It proves one thing: In all of your posts, you have been unable to argue in favor of Shenmue III by explaining why you think it's good. And as opposed to you, I dont think that you're a moron or that you're unable to articutale a legitimate argument. No, I just think that there's just no argument in favor of Shenmue III that you can push, hence why you're so angry.

Yes, I'm a millenial, whatever. I only discovered the game in 2007 so my opinion doesn't matter. People playing on emulators are filthy pirates, whatever. But you forget that it's also those people who you insult that are the reason why that IP didn't fell into irrelevance. Not that it's that relevant today, mind you. I mean, I dont see Shenmue going back in full force, especially after III.

But I'll tell you something. I have seen people as young as 19 discovering Shenmue I and II as early as this year. And you know what ? They got the grasp of what made it so good, despite its age, as opposed to you. ;)

What I said about Shenmue I and II, you can apply it to 3 ?

Well then sir, I'm waiting. :)
I'm all ears :D
Why dont you tell me about all those amazing set pieces ? Why dont you tell me about those memorable antagonists ??
Heck, explain to me how the cutscenes are shot just as good, or even better, according to you ?

I'm waiting :D
Step away from this, I've dealt with the above & I get the frustration but it's best left now.

If Shenmue 3 had come out 17 years ago, Bailu would’ve probably felt and looked much more rural and Niaowu wouldn’t have been in it, so it would’ve been a very different game.

If Shenmue 3 had come out 17 years ago, Bailu would’ve probably felt and looked much more rural and Niaowu wouldn’t have been in it, so it would’ve been a very different game.
We do know Yu condensed chapters for the game so this would be plausible. Niawou would have been a Shenmue 4 City? Maybe the start of the game?

Wait a mimute, how do you know Niaowu would definitely not have been in Shenmue III 17 years ago?
One of the few ingame screenshots of Shenmue III back in 2002 depicted a shot of Niao Sun, so we know she was going to be in it. I doubt Niao Sun was going to be walking around in the mud of Bailu with her high heels.

Wait a mimute, how do you know Niaowu would definitely not have been in Shenmue III 17 years ago?
One of the few ingame screenshots of Shenmue III back in 2002 depicted a shot of Niao Sun, so we know she was going to be in it. I doubt Niao Sun was going to be walking around in the mud of Bailu with her high heels.

How can you say that Shenmue III is what we would've got 17 years ago when in 2015, the game was radically different, with Baisha supposedly the main big area, where the action takes place, with the rapport system and character perspective system being in, while all of that was scrapped altogether ?

This cutscene really resonates with me. It makes me appreciate the direction that Shenmue III went in so many ways. I like the attention to detail with Ryo's jacket swinging as he's in the dojo.
I'd go as far to say that it's my favorite scene in the entire game.

This cutscene really resonates with me. It makes me appreciate the direction that Shenmue III went in so many ways. I like the attention to detail with Ryo's jacket swinging as he's in the dojo.

While it has a nice soundtrack and visual, it highlights my issues with Shenmue III when it comes to cutscene direction. It's like the people in charge of the cutscenes don't know how to shoot a scene. For instance, Ryo and everything is completly unlit in this scene. You can barely see anything. While I know it's because of how the lighting system works... nothing prevent them to add a light probe for aesthetical reasons either. And the scene when Elder Yah is speeking to Shenhua makes no sense. She's speaking to her yet Shenhua is just looking at the moon with Ryo. Both are standing still like nothing. No tension built, no interactions or whatsoever. It's almost as if they put the two 3D models there in still position and just used a cheap camera zoom on them. The good moment though is the boat arrival in Niaowu. I have nothing bad to say about the way that scene is shot... until the characters leave the boat.

I've been rewatching Shenmue I and II cutscenes. From boss fights, to farewell scenes and such. And the difference in quality is dramatic. Shenmue II in particular holds up superbly even today in term of scenery and shots. See that Ryo training in the night in Shenmue III ? Compare it to the scene in 2 with Xiuying and the same scene with Ryo in 2, after the campfire.

How can you say that Shenmue III is what we would've got 17 years ago when in 2015, the game was radically different, with Baisha supposedly the main big area, where the action takes place, with the rapport system and character perspective system being in, while all of that was scrapped altogether ?
shenmue 3 17 years ago would’ve likely had Sega arcade games, zero fan service, the same combat as the old games, new music... just for starters. It also likely would’ve had a full budget and the support of AM2, so you’d get none of the shortcuts seen in the latest entry... I’m also guessing the grinding would be very different or absent since there’s be no reason to start Ryo out as a level 1 Kung fu artist. It would’ve been a very different game indeed

shenmue 3 17 years ago would’ve likely had Sega arcade games, zero fan service, the same combat as the old games, new music... just for starters. It also likely would’ve had a full budget and the support of AM2, so you’d get none of the shortcuts seen in the latest entry... It would’ve been a very different game indeed

Exactly. Heck, we know for a fact that it's not even the same game it was supposed to be in 2015. To claim that "it's the Shenmue 3 we would've gotten 17 years ago" is completly wrong.

I think that many new players might be more positive than older fans.
- People these days know what they are getting, they are not getting S3 thinking it'll be a GTA clone.
- It's the gameloop and combination of systems will far fresher to them than to us.
- They might felt the story compelling, and stuff that for us that have looked every single piece of evidence which is redundant, for them are new revelations.

Last edited:
Back