Were you happier with no Shenmue III? Or do you prefer living in a post-Shenmue III world?

Alright, I'll adress each of your points one by one:

About the costs:
You're right, I'm not a dev. I dont need to be one either to tell you, because the tools are where they are today, you can achieve things today that were more expensive and difficult to achieve before.

Hence my FFVII exemple: Rendering that CGI quality back then required a LOT MORE work, money and compute power than you would need today. In fact, FFVII CGI today would look like a joke that most people would be able to achieve. That's because tools have matured.

I didn't mean that, in general, making cutscenes today is cheaper than it used to be. I meant that, hence my exemple, that doing cutscenes of the fidelity and level of Shenmue II, a game released 20 years ago, is far easier today than it was 20 years ago.

Do I need to be a dev to say that ? Aren't there enough games out there that speaks volume about that and that clearly dont have the budget Shenmue II had ? Is it really that crazy to claim that tools today allows you to do things possible before for cheaper and faster ?

As for Cutscene direction not being only a matter of budget :
Tell me again what's crazy here ? I didn't say "It's not a budget issue if you dont have good cutscenes". I said it's not SOLELY about budget. Other factors come into place. The direction for instance. The choice you make for camera placement and such.

As for your last point about "Who the hell asked me".
Well, unfortunately, the person I replied to decided to take ME as an exemple. Claiming that MY expectations were out of proportions on the matter of cutscenes for instance.

So yeah, hence why I adressed MY expectations since it's a point that user raised.

As for the rest of your accusations, me being arrogant, mean, awful and what not, I'm just adopting the tone of the person I reply to. If someone is civil with me, I'm civil with them. If someone isn't, I try to remain civil as I did before. If someone is talking me down, I talk them down too.

If you felt hurt by my posts or my opinions, I'm sorry, that wasn't the intention here. Debates can get heated but I feel like I did my best to remain civil. I dont think I talked down on someone or insulted anyone. In fact I think I did a fairly good job to not reply with insults to insults adressed to me.

For instance, your very own post here.

Now, if you wish, you can warn me or ban me. I wont stop having my opinions on those matters though. And I feel like it's the interest of discussions. Discussing the core matters. If you disagree with my point about cutscene direction, I'm willing to hear your thoughts on the matter and if possible, that you demonstrate with exemples why and how you think it's great.

Because yeah, so far, the complaints I'm getting is that I tried to back up my claims with exemples.
The fact that creating cutscenes is cheaper now is irrelevant. Obviously, game development in general is cheaper now. Otherwise, we wouldn't even have been able to get the game that we got on $12 million budget with a team of "close to 50 people."

We're talking about direction. No matter how cheap it is to create cutscenes, they do not direct themselves! It takes people with time, resources, and talent. By your own admission, Ys Net was a team of less than 50 people. The team did not even exist when the Kickstarter began. Yu Suzuki had to spend time and money from the Kickstarter just to hire people and build a team. Then, those "close to 50 people" had to create literally everything that's in the game, including the cutscenes.

If you can't understand why it was extremely unlikely that the cutscene direction under these circumstances would probably not be quite as good as it was for a game that basically had unlimited budget and the best people from Sega's prime working on it, then I don't really know what else to say.

Budget isn't the main explanation of everything and having the cutscene direction of II wouldn't make III a AAA game. I didn't ask for the cutscene quality of RDR2 or even any AAA game in the market. Just the one of a 20 years old game.
Okay, I find this really funny. Now you're trying to act like the cutscenes in the old games were nothing special and of a quality that is easy to achieve. "I'm not asking for AAA quality, just that of a lousy 20 year old game!" But in other threads, you were acting like the cutscene direction in Shenmue II was the greatest thing ever.

Aren't there enough games out there that speaks volume about that and that clearly dont have the budget Shenmue II had ?
I don't know, are there? What games today have a $12 million budget and were developed by a team of under 50 people that have cutscenes as epic and expertly done as Shenmue II's? Especially ones that also have as much varied content as Shenmue III does?

Budget may not be "the main explanation of everything," but you seem to think that it doesn't explain anything and that Ys Net should have been able to achieve exactly what Sega did 20 years ago. That's just not how it works. Yes, developing a game like Shenmue is cheaper now than it was then. That's the only reason Shenmue III even came as close to the previous games as it did!

Maybe you should try crowdfunding a game and having it include beautiful open worlds, countless NPCs, a huge script (that gets recorded in two different languages), a combat system built from scratch, many different mini-games, a fully interconnected economy system, and everything else that's in Shenmue III. I'm sure that your team of close to 50 will achieve cutscenes exactly as good as Shenmue II's, because that's sooooooo cheap and easy these days.

I wouldn't say they're bad per se, but I agree that they're a far cry from what we got from the series before from both a storytelling (which mostly falls on the lack of story) as well as a music/editing perspective. The direction of the action oriented cutscenes was pretty good but imo anything involving exposition or dialogue was pretty flat and uninteresting. But, I mean, cutscenes are a pretty important thing to get right in a game like Shenmue and S3 is very uneven (that ending cutscene, yeesh...).

UE4's Sequencer is actually really great and user friendly as long as you have the proper assets, especially animations. And we know the S3 team had several of the animation assets since many of the fighting animations are unchanged since the 2017 teaser trailer.

I can provide insight into how it usually goes (which is basically the same as a movie: storyboard> rough cut> polish) but I can't provide insight into how it worked on S3, like how/when/why the location of fighting Mr. Muscles changed. But no, cutscenes aren't hard to implement, the "hard" part (and the reason most indie games don't use them) is getting the assets; if you have the locations, character models, dialogue, story beats, and animations then you're like 90% of the way there. Just plan out your cameras, timing, and lighting (which is largely derived from the location) and you're good.

For reference:

This is two character models standing pretty still around a tree. All these assets (minus the flashback) exist in S3; it would've been very easy for them to make this cutscene in UE4.

What's hard is making this moment. When I first saw this cutscene in S2 it felt like the biggest thing that ever happened and all it was was the name of a tree. But the combination of the pacing, the story, the characters, and the quality of the cutscene really made the moment stick. S3 lacks moments like this, not necessarily cutscenes, and that's a fair criticism.

Did you know that S3 confirms that there are multiple Shenmue trees? You know how it does it? In a journal entry...
This I can mostly agree with. The best directed cutscenes were the action oriented ones and none of exposition-type cutscenes were as epic as the Shenmue tree one, but I'm not sure there were any moments of exposition in the game that really warranted it. I don't know what your problem with the ending cutscene is though (at least as far as direction and cinematography goes).

I don't know what your problem with the ending cutscene is though (at least as far as direction and cinematography goes).
It's just so unengaging. The purpose of a scene like this (finally getting to talk to someone who you've been searching for the whole game) is to have a payoff. S2 did this by having Yuanda Zhu tell Ryo and the whole cast about the mirrors but he did it in an interesting way where the lights went out and he showed something interesting (and we got to see the characters react to it). There was an air of mystery and it was shown to us in a visually engaging way.

S3 by contrast, pans across a boat where Ryo talks to Yuan in a completely empty room and then bizarrely flashes back to Ryo, still on the boat, remembering a conversation on the boat. It's really weird. Obviously a lot of it comes down to story but a lot of it is basic cinematic language; like I said S2 showed us two characters standing around a tree and made it interesting. S3 also breaks convention and smash cuts to Ryo, Shenhua and Ren at the great wall (where? when?) as we hear, for the first time ever, their thoughts. It's just super weird and inconsistent.

Presumably though, when people say good cutscene direction isn't a budget issue, they say it because the tools and means to create cutscenes are less expensive now.

But surely good cutscene direction still requires 1. Talent and 2. Time. Two things that do cost money...

The fact that creating cutscenes is cheaper now is irrelevant. Obviously, game development in general is cheaper now. Otherwise, we wouldn't even have been able to get the game that we got on $12 million budget with a team of "close to 50 people."

We're talking about direction. No matter how cheap it is to create cutscenes, they do not direct themselves! It takes people with time, resources, and talent. By your own admission, Ys Net was a team of less than 50 people. The team did not even exist when the Kickstarter began. Yu Suzuki had to spend time and money from the Kickstarter just to hire people and build a team. Then, those "close to 50 people" had to create literally everything that's in the game, including the cutscenes.

If you can't understand why it was extremely unlikely that the cutscene direction under these circumstances would probably not be quite as good as it was for a game that basically had unlimited budget and the best people from Sega's prime working on it, then I don't really know what else to say.

Okay, I find this really funny. Now you're trying to act like the cutscenes in the old games were nothing special and of a quality that is easy to achieve. "I'm not asking for AAA quality, just that of a lousy 20 year old game!" But in other threads, you were acting like the cutscene direction in Shenmue II was the greatest thing ever.

I don't know, are there? What games today have a $12 million budget and were developed by a team of under 50 people that have cutscenes as epic and expertly done as Shenmue II's? Especially ones that also have as much varied content as Shenmue III does?

Budget may not be "the main explanation of everything," but you seem to think that it doesn't explain anything and that Ys Net should have been able to achieve exactly what Sega did 20 years ago. That's just not how it works. Yes, developing a game like Shenmue is cheaper now than it was then. That's the only reason Shenmue III even came as close to the previous games as it did!

Maybe you should try crowdfunding a game and having it include beautiful open worlds, countless NPCs, a huge script (that gets recorded in two different languages), a combat system built from scratch, many different mini-games, a fully interconnected economy system, and everything else that's in Shenmue III. I'm sure that your team of close to 50 will achieve cutscenes exactly as good as Shenmue II's, because that's sooooooo cheap and easy these days.

This I can mostly agree with. The best directed cutscenes were the action oriented ones and none of exposition-type cutscenes were as epic as the Shenmue tree one, but I'm not sure there were any moments of exposition in the game that really warranted it. I don't know what your problem with the ending cutscene is though (at least as far as direction and cinematography goes).

That's kinda contradictory isn't it ?
You're telling me that it's "irrelevant that today it's cheaper to do those things" and yet "Shenmue II was a game with a huge budget".

Although I do agree on something: Yes, budget is also a matter of staff. Getting talented staff. But then, does it means that the staff wasn't talented enough for those cutscenes ? Not that they ran out of budget ?

And yes, you're right, I definitely agree again: Budget means you cant have everything.
But that's exactly what I wanted to pin-point: Not having enough budget also means taking decisions. Maybe having better cutscene direction would've been a better idea than having many different mini-games nor an economy system.
Same for the "huge script recorded in two different languages". Maybe before thinking of "another language" it was better to think of the script itself ?

My point isn't that "YsNet, with what they had, fucked up to do cutscenes". My point is "what is achieved in Shenmue II was achievable in game with a tight budget". The same game ? Maybe not. But this game with compromises elsewhere ? Surely.

As for games with a low budget and great cutscene quality.. well Yakuza does for instance. Even if corners are obviously cut elsewhere. And well, it's a bit unfair to ask games not directed by Yu Suzuki to reach the same degree too. :)

As for my problem with the ending cutscene, from the boat cutscene, it looks fairly simple and the shots are rather... bad. See that moment on the great wall ? It just looks weird except for the final shot. The camera moving around the characters to read their thoughts... It doesn't look good either. The whole conversation with Shenhua's father and Ryo ? Compare it to the discussion with Yuanda Zhu and the team.

Presumably though, when people say good cutscene direction isn't a budget issue, they say it because the tools and means to create cutscenes are less expensive now.

But surely good cutscene direction still requires 1. Talent and 2. Time. Two things that do cost money...

Thanks. Hence the "It's not solely a budget issue". Of course, talent and time are still a money factor, but back then, tools were to be made. Technologies were to be made. Hence why Shenmue I and II were expensive games. It doesn't mean making good cutscenes is free. You need talented people for that. And when you're on a tight budget, it all comes down to where you put the priorities.

Last edited:
That's kinda contradictory isn't it ?
You're telling me that it's "irrelevant that today it's cheaper to do those things" and yet "Shenmue II was a game with a huge budget".

Although I do agree on something: Yes, budget is also a matter of staff. Getting talented staff. But then, does it means that the staff wasn't talented enough for those cutscenes ? Not that they ran out of budget ?

And yes, you're right, I definitely agree again: Budget means you cant have everything.
But that's exactly what I wanted to pin-point: Not having enough budget also means taking decisions. Maybe having better cutscene direction would've been a better idea than having many different mini-games nor an economy system.
Same for the "huge script recorded in two different languages". Maybe before thinking of "another language" it was better to think of the script itself ?

My point isn't that "YsNet, with what they had, fucked up to do cutscenes". My point is "what is achieved in Shenmue II was achievable in game with a tight budget". The same game ? Maybe not. But this game with compromises elsewhere ? Surely.

As for games with a low budget and great cutscene quality.. well Yakuza does for instance. Even if corners are obviously cut elsewhere. And well, it's a bit unfair to ask games not directed by Yu Suzuki to reach the same degree too. :)

As for my problem with the ending cutscene, from the boat cutscene, it looks fairly simple and the shots are rather... bad. See that moment on the great wall ? It just looks weird except for the final shot. The camera moving around the characters to read their thoughts... It doesn't look good either. The whole conversation with Shenhua's father and Ryo ? Compare it to the discussion with Yuanda Zhu and the team.

Thanks. Hence the "It's not solely a budget issue". Of course, talent and time are still a money factor, but back then, tools were to be made. Technologies were to be made. Hence why Shenmue I and II were expensive games. It doesn't mean making good cutscenes is free. You need talented people for that. And when you're on a tight budget, it all comes down to where you put the priorities.
Okay yeah, those are all fair points. I almost certainly would have taken less mini-games or the removal of the in-game economy in exchange for more and better story, if that would have been possible. Obviously that's all subjective, but I think most people here agree that the story and character development could have been better.

I think the issue is partially that they didn't have nearly as much talent as Sega had with AM2 and partially that they ran out of time. If they had the same team but an unlimited amount of time to work on cutscenes, could they have been just as good as they were in Shenmue II? Maybe. They definitely could have gotten closer. But considering the size of the team, there was only so much time for so many people to work on any one aspect of the game.

So yeah, the game was probably a little too ambitious for the budget that it had. But at the same time, Yu Suzuki was trying to please as many different fans as possible. It's hard to blame him because the fanbase is so diverse in the things that they like and consider important about Shenmue.

To answer the op, yes I'm glad we have the game even though it was more a disappointment than anything else for me personally, the Shenmue renaissance we got from it was magical, the coming together of Shenmue fans, Shenmue 1 & 2 HD, a ton more Shenmue players and streamers, and me being somewhat active on this forum again. It's been nice. As for the game itself, has it retroactively ruined Shenmue 1 & 2 for me? It did at first not gonna lie but then i watched 1 & 2 back on a stream recently and those 2 almost feel like they are in a parallel universe from Shenmue 3 so it's not bad at all.

I just wish I could be in the parallel universe where sequels were what they used to be in the 90's and early 2000's; better versions of the original. I just know there's a Shenmue 3 in another Universe that's cutting edge graphics, ridiculous features like Ramen noodles getting soft in your bowl and a living breathing world, with unique people living there daily lives and affecting the world around you so much so it feels like Yu Suzuki created his own universe on a George RR Martin god like scale.

Which begs another question probably worth its own topic actually so I'll make that now.

If III has damaged anything it's the egos of some fans. The type of fans that anything less than AAA production was never going to be enough. The type of fan that still dreams of SEGA choking up multi-millions like they did in the DC days. Living in the past, basically.

Nailed it

You live in a town of 50 folks and ask for something that continues the town happiness.
The mayor says "Ok I will build the Eiffel Tower".
6 months later, the mayor comes up to say "I couldn't finish it. I lacked of 300 iron girders."
Why did he fail?
Because he did lack of 300 girders?
Because he needed 15 another years?
Or because he decides to build a tower of 900 feet?

The mayor ripostes:
"But we got the four-leg base. It's not pretty but that's cool, still."

Indeed, that's cool. But the structure imbalance is blatant and you can feel something is terribly missing. Something that touches the sky. Something that touches our heart and gives us emotion.

Admittedly, YSnet says "Ok according our prototype, we can create 30 story cutscenes, no more" and says at the same time "It would be great to travel through three main locations and escalate the story until meeting Lan Di".

Obviously, there was something wrong in the design process.

Either the game has been badly scaled (i.e. an artistic fail), or something happened over the production and slowed down the general process (i.e. a technical fail).

Whatever, YSnet was mistaken somewhere and it's not down to money but rather about expanding the game on the wrong axes while you promised two basic features hardly friendly with your open world stretch goal:

- The three locations, likely decided when Shenmue 3 was supposed to be some Telltale project at minimum funding. But cancelling one location is a disappointment, getting ride of two would have been a scandal.

- Lan Di. While his presence was never guaranteed, I suppose there was an obsession from the team to give fans a gift for having waited so long. But there was no need to rush the showdown, especially when your Niaowu part barely tells something valuable.

The initial promises and the decisions which came afterwards lead to the result we know: an asymmetry between the scale of the story and the scale of the world. In other words, a game that bit off more than it could chew.

Last edited:
- Lan Di. While his presence was never guaranteed, I suppose there was an obsession from the team to give fans a gift for having waited so long. But there was no need to rush the showdown, especially when your Niaowu part barely tells something valuable.
I'd rather we never even saw Lan Di if it meant we had a more cohesive story with Niao Sun but I understand you needed Lan Di for the more casual fans who have been waiting.

I expected that Lan Di moment to be in the middle of the game. Like you came close but you lost him once again. Not at the end.

Tbh i think it's more egotistical to suggest Shenmue 3 is still the quality it always was and if you think otherwise you're apparently a hater who wanted a triple A budget.

Yu Suzuki didn't need a huge budget to make Shenmue 3 decent, he just needed a good story. At the very least.
Nobody said that, actually everybody agreed SIII it's the worst of the saga. But that doesn't mean it's not a good game, at least it's what the majority here thinks.

About the story, like we said here a million of times, Yu Suzuki said ten years ago this game won't be about story. If you don't like it, then you just don't like the vision of Yu and it's fine.

Good post, I'd just add that AM2 were the most technically proficient developer in the industry period.
If Suzuki is anything to go by, I'd bet his Am2 crew in 2020 still can pull some new tricks to push the enveloped(even if a little) if Sega stop milking sonic and RGG and meet the demand for all their popular Am2 classics or take the best members they still have access to and come up with new ips.

If Suzuki is anything to go by, I'd bet his Am2 crew in 2020 still can pull some new tricks to push the enveloped(even if a little) if Sega stop milking sonic and RGG and meet the demand for all their popular Am2 classics or take the best members they still have access to and come up with new ips.
When the Sonic brand is still successful, i wouldn't expect them to move on. The movie was a massive success. But yes, Sega has a huge problem with ignoring their past franchises, even the successful ones

Budget may not be "the main explanation of everything," but you seem to think that it doesn't explain anything and that Ys Net should have been able to achieve exactly what Sega did 20 years ago.

Regarding the budget. (not aimed at you B-Man)

I've been recently replaying Detroit Become Human in order of going for the platinum trophy. Say what you will about David Cages writing ability, but the thing I've always admired about his games is the cinematic presentation and the QTE events. In some ways, I feel his games are an example of what Shenmue's QTE events would have become had the series been more successful with the mainstream. They feel like a natural evolution of what Shenmue's QTE scenes should have become.

But I was watching the Behind the Scenes stuff last night on the Disc. They mention it took them 255 days of shooting performance capture...now add to that the development team cost and the amount of people it required to bring that game to life. Add all of this together and you can only imagine the amount of money it would cost to make such a game. Now granted, Detroit is a bit different as to how many strands and options its gameplay presents in terms of narrative choices. But still, 255 days of shooting performance capture cost money. It cost money for studio hire, for actors, for equipment and so on.

Googling the budget of Detroit and it comes back at 37 Million (not concrete because no one discloses budgets for video games)

Approximately 37 million vs the measly 12 million that Shenmue III had. Gee, I wonder why Shenmue III's presentation wasn't that of a AAA game?

I have to wonder how are people still trying to argue here that budget doesn't matter and that he should have given us what he gave us 20 years ago when he was working with a clearly less experienced staff and much reduced budget?

For the measly 6 (or 12) million that Shenmue III had...I think it's a goddamn miracle that we got as much as we did. It amazes me how people are still trying to act like budget doesn't matter...of course it matters. Even with Shenmue II...it had way more money behind it than III ever had...not to mention the team working on it was AM2 at its peak.

As far as presentation goes, of course budget matters.

Last edited:
Regarding the budget. (not aimed at you B-Man)

I've been recently replaying Detroit Become Human in order of going for the platinum trophy. Say what you will about David Cages writing ability, but the thing I've always admired about his games is the cinematic presentation and the QTE events. In some ways, I feel his games are an example of what Shenmue's QTE events would have become had the series been more successful with the mainstream. They feel like a natural evolution of what Shenmue's QTE scenes should have become.

But I was watching the Behind the Scenes stuff last night on the Disc. They mention it took them 255 days of shooting performance capture...now add to that the development team cost and the amount of people it required to bring that game to life. Add all of this together and you can only imagine the amount of money it would cost to make such a game. Now granted, Detroit is a bit different as to how many strands and options its gameplay presents in terms of narrative choices. But still, 255 days of shooting performance capture cost money. It cost money for studio hire, for actors, for equipment and so on.

Googling the budget of Detroit and it comes back at 37 Million (not concrete because no one discloses budgets for video games)

Approximately 37 million vs the measly 12 million that Shenmue III had. Gee, I wonder why Shenmue III's presentation wasn't that of a AAA game?

I have to wonder how are people still trying to argue here that budget doesn't matter and that he should have given us what he gave us 20 years ago when he was working with a clearly less experienced staff and much reduced budget?

For the measly 6 (or 12) million that Shenmue III had...I think it's a goddamn miracle that we got as much as we did. It amazes me how people are still trying to act like budget doesn't matter...of course it matters. Even with Shenmue II...it had way more money behind it than III ever had...not to mention the team working on it was AM2 at its peak.

As far as presentation goes, of course budget matters.
Whilst I agree with everything you’ve written here, I think that there’s a lot of ground between Shenmue 3 and AAA games like Detroit Become Human.

The budget definitely prevented the team from achieving cutting edge cutscenes, but does it, for example, excuse the random fades to black or unexplainable camera jumps?

Whilst I agree with everything you’ve written here, I think that there’s a lot of ground between Shenmue 3 and AAA games like Detroit Become Human.

The budget definitely prevented the team from achieving cutting edge cutscenes, but does it, for example, excuse the random fades to black or unexplainable camera jumps?

No not entirely. Trust me I find those just as jarring as anyone else. I thought there was a reason given for those somewhere? Or someone found something related to that? Budget doesn't excuse all the issues, of course.

Shenmue III is a mixed bag. It has those issues you mentioned, but it also has some really nice moments in it too that show hints of the older games. Ryo training in the moonlight was such a moment that was really nice.

Again, I think a lot of this probably boils down to the fact to a lack of consistency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the YSNet team mostly made up of contractors? I think the game is inconsistent across the board and I think a lot of it has to do with either the team itself and its inexperience or just things that didn't get time to be polished due to meeting a deadline.

Times change. Shenmue 3 was never going to reach the heights of the first two games.
But it's still a f*cking awesome title with plenty of that "Shenmue" charm.
If there's only one thing I would have changed it would have been more story. There's still so many questions unanswered.
Yu-san said he'd fix this in 4 :love:

No not entirely. Trust me I find those just as jarring as anyone else. I thought there was a reason given for those somewhere? Or someone found something related to that? Budget doesn't excuse all the issues, of course.

Shenmue III is a mixed bag. It has those issues you mentioned, but it also has some really nice moments in it too that show hints of the older games. Ryo training in the moonlight was such a moment that was really nice.

Again, I think a lot of this probably boils down to the fact to a lack of consistency. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the YSNet team mostly made up of contractors? I think the game is inconsistent across the board and I think a lot of it has to do with either the team itself and its inexperience or just things that didn't get time to be polished due to meeting a deadline.
I’m not arguing that Shenmue 3 wasn’t a good game. Personally, I really enjoyed it and thought that they did a fantastic job in many areas given the circumstances surrounding development. I do think it’s a bit unfair to dismiss critics as having unrealistic expectations though when some of their criticisms are valid.

Back