110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

The meme is fun but Black Garlic is not even the best food in the game, so many foods are better, but like i said in the other post if people want to buy just Black Garlic then that's their choice, people can play how they want and that's okay.

I want to experience all the things that the game has to offer.

Dont worry, it won't happen. I had the same though when the apple/banana merry day, since then I learned that YS wisely rejected using a nasty Elder Scrolls-type worldmap swarmed by icons, task list, etc. in favour of the natural events unfolding. If the team haven't conceded the world map you can absolutely discard GTAfication.

Let's hope it will stay this way for Shenmue 4 and 5 as well.

I'm also worried that kind of trash feedback can only distract the team from the real needs (more story + fully developed battle system).

Like focusing on HUD i don't know, surely Shenmue 3 HUD is less friendly than the first two games and it feels more like a PC game HUD, but that's not a priority.
I see a lot of bad HUD / inventory in modern games like Witcher 3... no one ever complains and these games still sell millions.

I must be weird but I liked the food system in S3. I always played these games slowly, and for me that characteristic increased the feeling of being on a trip. Go to every post to find what food they have, save, work and worry about money to eat, etc.

Perhaps what it lacked was adding an amount of effectiveness regarding how many the food varied, or something like that.

Anyway, an option to turn it on and off would have been nice too, so everyone's happy that way.

Last edited:
The menus and HUD in Shenmue 3 are quite poor. I won’t say they’re a disaster, but I’d welcome an improvement with regard to those areas. Can’t agree there.

Anyway, an option to turn it on and off would have been nice too, so everyone's happy that way.

I love the food system as well but this would have been nice, people are different so people play in different ways.

I remember one day in the game that i worked a lot chopping wood, i did this many times without stopping, but probably other people don't play this way, same thing about picking herbs, i love gathering herbs in the game, it is so relaxing and a easy way to earn money in the game, but probably other people don't play this way.

I always pick up the apple and banana in Shenhua's house, and when i arrive in Niaowu i will always pick all the apples in the hotel, but probably some people don't do that, people play in different ways.

Another idea to divide this would be by difficulties, for example on story mode the player would not have to eat, on Recommended Mode mode eat just a little, Challenge mode a little bit more and nightmare mode the player would have to eat a lot, this way players can choose what they want, is another way to do this.

I hope the food system return for Shenmue IV even better, maybe even with this option to turn on and off for people that don't like the system.

Last edited:
I'm also worried that kind of trash feedback can only distract the team from the real needs (more story + fully developed battle system).

One man’s trash is another man’s treasure. Did it ever occur to you that Yu might actually want to turn a profit with the next Shenmue game? If he does, then he’ll absolutely need to listen to this “trash feedback” because the people who are providing it are the very same people that he’s hoping can be convinced to buy the next game.

Don’t get me wrong, I hope that some of the issues with the narrative are addressed and that the team are able to rebalance the stamina system as much as the next guy, but I can absolutely understand why they are interested in the feedback of first time players. In fact, if I were him, I’d probably be more interested in what they have to say than the fans, as the fans will likely buy the game regardless.

I’m not sure how much this thread needs to get into what wasn’t good about S3 but one of the main aspects that was lacking in my opinion is the sense of story progression through tasks. The first two games were great at making me feel like what I was doing was having an impact on Ryo’s progression toward his goal. S3 just wasn’t memorable in that respect. And the characters were so much more charming in the first two games.

I’m not sure how much this thread needs to get into what wasn’t good about S3

True, but to be fair, most if not all of the responses here so far have been well constructed. This line of discussion opened up from an article that was recently posted. It's not like someone is jumping in and bashing S3 for the sake of it. Opinions are extremely welcomed, but where we do draw the line is if someone comes across with a matter of fact attitude that S3 stinks with no room for debate.

Last edited:
My Ryo Hazuki eats fruits, veggies, drink energy drink, orange juice and much more, my Ryo Hazuki is fine. 😘

Yeah, S3 really needed a better way to use all that food. Whether it's giving ingredients to a restaurant to make something into a meal that you can give to starving kids (i.e. like a helpless wong), a starving animal (like the cat in S1), food quests (i.e. the sushi shop making us go on fishing errands which would expand the menu), or my personal wish of a food stall you could run and make money from by setting your own prices, something was needed to give 95% of the non-garlic foods more of a purpose and for Ryo to make more of a mark on Bailu and Niaowu. Would have been cool if you could have adopted one of the Cormorants that the fisherman's use and then train it and feed it to catch more fish than the other fisherman/cormorant combos in a tournament which you could then sell in at your fishmonger (run by Shenhua or Ren).

Attachments

• shutterstock_309510137_.jpg
    shutterstock_309510137_.jpg
    981.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
All I'm really going to say on the "trash" feedback stuff is that, all throughout Shenmue III's development there were enormous amounts of hand-wringing on here about casualisation and dumbing down, but what we received was for better or worse an *extremely* faithful representation of what those first two games were like. 🤷‍♂️

As for the food and stamina system...

Maybe they should return to the original idea of food being an XP multiplier for certain types of training? Again, one of the few things I'd crib from Yakuza are the different categories of XP that can be accrued just by basic interactions with the world, so maybe you could work food in similarly. I'd expect a more realistic Shenmue spin on it though, like being limited to three meals a day.

I do think the stamina system should be axed from the overworld, though. Didn't mind it first playthrough and found it fairly easy to handle, but on all subsequent playthroughs I've had it disabled via mods, which says it doesn't really add anything besides novelty or annoyance depending on your experience.

Stamina for combat separate from health, though? That's a possibility. Something that auto-refills when Ryo isn't expending energy (ala Dark Souls, etc), and can be fortified with training or spending XP. I think they'll have to add some extra layer of challenge if they simplify the combat controls, which I'm on board with now.

It's never going to be based off the VF engine again, and we've had a compromise for those who still wanted fighting game style inputs. Now's the time to put that aside for something that looks and feels good above all else, and provides a different challenge than who has the best muscle memory for combos.

I just want to say a few more things about the black garlic subject.

Many foods in the game give +300HP just like the Black Garlic, so why people don't try to buy one of these foods and drinks for a change? like the energy drink for example? costing in the range of ¥10-¥11, good price.

1657078556313.png1657078579961.png

This is why i don’t understand this criticism about Black Garlic, so many ways to play the game, so many foods and drinks that do the same thing as the Black Garlic, many other foods are even better than the Black Garlic, some with a good price like the Fried Shaomai costing in the range of ¥11-¥14, good price, but people really think that eating Black Garlic is the only way to play this game, i respect the opinions of course i just don’t understand this criticism.

1657079081448.png

Now i feel that i play Shenmue III in the most different way possible, everybody buying and giving for Ryo only Black Garlic, and i giving for my Ryo Banana, Apple, Carrots, Soda, Cabbage and much more.

Now it feels like i’m the only one that pick the banana and apple in Shenhua’s house and the apples in the hotel Niaowu.

1657081030894.png
Nobody has mentioned the roasted pig you can buy in Niaowu up by the second arcade yet? That restores like 950, I think...

Roasted Piglet is probably the best food in the game, +1500HP and costing in the range of ¥43

1657083218257.png

Last edited:
I just want to say a few more things about the black garlic subject.

Many foods in the game give +300HP just like the Black Garlic, so why people don't try to buy one of these foods and drinks for a change? like the energy drink for example? costing in the range of ¥10-¥11, good price.

This is why i don’t understand this criticism about Black Garlic, so many ways to play the game, so many foods and drinks that do the same thing as the Black Garlic, many other foods are even better than the Black Garlic, some with a good price like the Fried Shaomai costing in the range of ¥11-¥14, good price, but people really think that eating Black Garlic is the only way to play this game, i respect the opinions of course i just don’t understand this criticism.

Now i feel that i play Shenmue III in the most different way possible, everybody buying and giving for Ryo only Black Garlic, and i giving for my Ryo Banana, Apple, Carrots, Soda, Cabbage and much more.

Now it feels like i’m the only one that pick the banana and apple in Shenhua’s house and the apples in the hotel Niaowu.

Roasted Piglet is probably the best food in the game, +1500HP and costing in the range of ¥43

View attachment 16606
I think you just need to understand and respect that most players don't care about seeking out different foods and drinks to alleviate an annoying stamina system, when every food and drink item has the identical effect.

The foods you have listed aren't readily available like Black Garlic is.

Colorful Shaomai is available from 1 vendor in Niaowu.

Energy Drink W is available from 4 locations in Niaowu.

Shrimp Xiaolongbao is available from 2 locations in Niaowu.

Black Garlic is available from 13 locations across Bailu, Niaowu and the castle.

There's a reason it's a meme. Because it's one of the first food items you can get that's cheap and adds a decent chunk to your stamina. It's available in the Bailu village square which you have to pass countless times so it's easy to grab and stock up on.

I'm sure at first and on first playthroughs, most people did try different foods for a time. I'm sure people have used the items you listed when their existing stocked up food runs out. However, the stamina system gets boring real fast, so most people will just naturally stock up on the best, most easily accessible item that will help stamina the most, and that item is Black Garlic.

Stamina for combat separate from health, though? That's a possibility. Something that auto-refills when Ryo isn't expending energy (ala Dark Souls, etc), and can be fortified with training or spending XP.
The thing is stamina bars kinda suck in brawlers/3D fighters. It's much better to flip the idea on its head and have a special bar that gives you more options as you fight instead of a stamina bar that takes away. You could have a breakable defence while blocking or something, though.

As for food, I love all the options, but it should be for bonuses, health and the like, and not tied to a stamina system. A stamina bar that depletes just by walking/running is almost never a good idea, in any game. I found it fairly inoffensive in S3, which is the best thing I can say about it, really. It encouraged me to buy food, but there would be better ways to do that in S4.

Personally I don't see a 4th game happening at this rate as tough as it is to say/admit it the only way i see this masterpiece ending is through the anime. I would love to jump back into the beautiful virtual world that only shenmue can create. Shenmue 3 was an opportunity to bring it back in ways that could of appealled far better than what they eventually chose and deemed appropriate for a new entry but it feels like that chance was blown. Yes we have the anime and yes there is new merch but every other game that came out alongside shenmue 3 in 2019 have basically all had their respective sequels greenlit...I don't know feels like we've gone full circle again. Really hope I'm wrong though and want to finish it as a game.

Back