110 Industries & Yu Suzuki

Huh, feels longer. Thanks.

Anyway, I wouldn't be surprised if that exact interview is why things have very sharply gone quiet.

A few years ago I said Shenmue 3 was Yu love letter to the community. Moving forward it feels like Yu has a real goal in mind for Shenmue 4&5. I have no proof but logically it makes the most sense to me.

Here's a question no matter how unlikely.

What if they did one massive Shenmue game. All of the story, start to finish, 1 game. Assuming they then don't cut anything from 1 and 2 as well.

Thoughts?

What if they did one massive Shenmue game. All of the story, start to finish, 1 game. Assuming they then don't cut anything from 1 and 2 as well.

Thoughts?
If it was done right, I'd take it. I've always loved those sorts of sprawling adventure games that take place in multiple locations. Shenmue seems like a good candidate for that. Also, it would be cool to have the entire saga in one consistent experience (i.e. no engine/gameplay/graphical differences).

Even if SM4 is actively developed and 110 is somehow involved, I doubt they will start dropping more hints without Yu's coordination.

Maybe more banans.

Thoughts?

I dont see the Shenmue community having a problem with this. Might be a bug issue for those of us that like to get every trophy 🏆 and achievement possible. That would be a nightmare to find out you messed up a game ago🤣😂. It would be a nightmare to develop this also. Could you image crunch for 5 Shennue games🤣😂🤣😂

For the other gamers this would be a deal breaker because people like to feel like they accomplished something. Shenmue would be criticized as this slow paced game that never ends. I love the thought of this.

Thoughts?

If they didn't cut anything from 1&2 they should ensure the rest of the story was told at a similar pace...thus making the game break Guiness World Records on duration LOL. Which would be an interesting thing to witness, and would be really faithful to Shenmue's nature as a bold and conventions-breaking game.

However, a slightly more realistic possibility would be to abridge the Shenmue 1 & 2 parts of the game (specially 1). That could be more in line to what Shenmue was intended to be in its initial Saturn time. More of a story-heavy RPG than a life simulator.

Both being really unlikely possibilities, I would pick the first, for the laughs. It would position Shenmue in the territory of culture/artsy movies the likes of Shoah or Happy Hour, which are known for being unconventionally long (more than 6 hours each).

Thoughts?
To me that would be killer (in a good sense) and in tune with the cancelled Saturn build. But honestly at the end of the day I will get whatever comes of it, complaining about issues more or less.
Because everytime I read that at one stage of development, Shenmue spawned 50 CDs... I want it.

And I also feel TGS will be the date and its the reason of silent mode. Yu Suzuki said no way is announced first anywhere but Japan big event. We will get hints about it slowly as the date comes close, Im sure about it.

I think a Shenmue game that offers the whole story from Shenmue 1 to 5 or whatever in one package
is simply not going to happen because of the size of the project and the effort it needs.
No big publisher is going to sign a deal if YS Net wants to do it in the "Dreamcast graphic style".
How are you going to sell such a oldschool project to a big audience to get all of the developing costs back?
I dont think you will find a good ratio between potential audience, costs and effort to convince any publisher to do it.
Even the S3 Kickstarter hype record budget would never be enough money for that. Not even close.

Its more likely that all of the publishers are going to say that it needs a graphical and modern gameplay update for any deal,
which means YS Net would need to rebuild all of Shenmue 1 and 2 in the new engine.
So that alone is already the project size of a remake that will take a lot of time and a lot of people.
I'm pretty sure theres no publisher on this planet who would fund all of these steps
(remaking S1 & 2, upgrading S3 + make S4 and 5 from scratch) for one big project.
Its way too much.

Only developing S4 and 5 from scratch and then somehow combining them
with the original S1, S2 and S3 like a episodic package is not possible
because then you would need most likely the agreement of three different publishers
to share projects, licenses, money ... thats not going to happen.

As always, the problem is the scale of Shenmue.
Its too ambitious for its own good.

I think everyone here was talking about it assuming that no way is possible...

Yes but just imagine how big of a project that would be if you want to include
the whole saga into one game, with all content, all details, possibly even remaking some parts of it.
Thats like some kind of AAA FF7 Remake ambition
and even they are not doing the whole thing in one game.

I think it could work as a game in terms of storytelling and pacing, thats probably not the problem,
but the scale of such a project is way too ambitious for such a team and these budget limitations.

Like imagine Sega developing a Yakuza Kiryu package remake where you play Yakuza 0 all the way to Yakuza 6,
all remade in the Dragon Engine and the whole storyline with all content is on one disc, in one game.
That sounds ridiculous, right?
A Shenmue 1-5 in one game package wouldnt be that much different
but we dont even have Segas full support and YS Net doesnt have 300 staff members.

Yes but just imagine how big of a project that would be if you want to include
the whole saga into one game, with all content, all details, possibly even remaking some parts of it.
Thats like some kind of AAA FF7 Remake ambition
and even they are not doing the whole thing in one game.

I think it could work as a game in terms of storytelling and pacing, thats probably not the problem,
but the scale of such a project is way too ambitious for such a team and these budget limitations.

Like imagine Sega developing a Yakuza Kiryu package remake where you play Yakuza 0 all the way to Yakuza 6,
all remade in the Dragon Engine and the whole storyline with all content is on one disc, in one game.
That sounds ridiculous, right?
A Shenmue 1-5 in one game package wouldnt be that much different
but we dont even have Segas full support and YS Net doesnt have 300 staff members.
Tosh you need a paid vacation. Its not that I don't like what you write (in fact I like it and as I said also agree) but what I meant was this was more (imo) dreaming about it and saying if we like it or not and you haven't said: would you like that unfeasible out of scale Shenmue XL? Again we know its not happening but I would bark under the moon light with something similar (hoping that hinted new Bladerunner game finally materialize into something big) I expect this isn' t percieved as confronting, putting our feet touching ground is necessary. But now lets dance with loose arms.

@BruceWayne911
We are at 10 years maximun for getting AI generated videogames the same way it does with image today. There will be millions of custom tailored to the individual Shenmues. YSnet and Sega must fight against the clock, and defeat the AI.

Last edited:
As great as one Shenmue game containing the entire saga would be it isn’t realistic. At least not without a huge amount of compressing the story. The HD release of 1 and 2 worked but there was a clear distinction between the two. I just don’t see it working for the entire saga.

Well @LemonHaze is adding Shenmue 1&2 to the unreal engine and Shenmue 3-5 will be unreal engine products. Let's just say someone started a Kickstarter in the hopes of raising funds to hire a development team(D3T) with @LemonHaze and other talented programmers to make Shenmue one massive game. Let's add it to the tweetathon. I got $5 on it🤑

#LetsgetShenmueDragonPhoenixWudeCollectionHD

Now that I think about it, isn't this what Sega recently did with Sonic Origins? Like duct-taping 5 standalone games into one continuous experience?

I know that won't happen with Shenmue, but oh boy how great would it be!

Shenmue 3 is now with Prime Matter and not deep silver whats happening

Back