An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gonna need a source on him admitting to spreading FUD, AFAIK he never admited to such thing.

His commentary hasn't been debunked, and CoD being 4k/60FPS doesn't debunk that. He never said 4k/60FPS cannot be achieved on PS5, only he heard that people making multiplatform games are struggling to get 4k/60FPS on their respective titles, which unlike CoD yesterday, might not be crossgen, and actual next gen/high fidelity games, which is trickier to get running at 4k/60FPS compared to crossgen like CoD

That isn't commentary though. That's him saying something that *allegedly* someone else told him, it's nothing to write home about, but the dude is trying to say that 1080p/60fps is set in stone for some big title he almost certainly has no hand involved with himself. The doubt speaks for itself.. now if he were to provide some evidence AKA actually leak something, then there'd be less of a problem believing him (which is common sense).

Shenmue was rated the best Sega game of all time recently by major publication IGN was it not?? If Sega is cashing in on this possibly it may be the remake/remasters from a few years back that were cancelled. Also, Shenmue 1 & 2 ports are now just starting to go on clearance at Walmart and Best Buy after nearly 2 years of sales. Shenmue 3 is also in the $5-$9 clearance bins at Walmart and $20 on eBay and isn't even a year old yet. Sega could juice the franchise for more $$$ as they know we would all buy the HD remake.

After my earlier post about this I actually went back and looked at the digital foundry video that first showcased this footage and, to be honest, I don’t think it’s a huge improvement on what we got and certainly isn’t enough to change anybody’s mind about the series.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d still buy it, as I imagine most fans would - and I could certainly see Sega having greenlit a remaster/remake after the relative success of the ports and prior to Shenmue 3’s underwhelming release.

That said, would a remake/remaster be ‘something new’?

That isn't commentary though. That's him saying something that *allegedly* someone else told him, it's nothing to write home about, but the dude is trying to say that 1080p/60fps is set in stone for some big title he almost certainly has no hand involved with himself. The doubt speaks for itself.. now if he were to provide some evidence AKA actually leak something, then there'd be less of a problem believing him (which is common sense).
"but the dude is trying tosay that 1080/60fps is set in stone for some big titles"
Literally never said that, why do people like to twist his words?

All he said was that knows certain developers who told him it was trickier to achieve 4k/60 FPS on PS5 compared to XbSeriesX. That's it, he never said 4k/60fps cannot be achieved on PS5

I don’t think it’s a huge improvement on what we got and certainly isn’t enough to change anybody’s mind about the series.

To be fair to d3t, they seemingly planned to switch to full PBR, which is kinda impressive given the age of the codebase. But yeah, it wasn't leaps and bounds over the originals.

Shenmue was rated the best Sega game of all time recently by major publication IGN was it not?? If Sega is cashing in on this possibly it may be the remake/remasters from a few years back that were cancelled. Also, Shenmue 1 & 2 ports are now just starting to go on clearance at Walmart and Best Buy after nearly 2 years of sales. Shenmue 3 is also in the $5-$9 clearance bins at Walmart and $20 on eBay and isn't even a year old yet. Sega could juice the franchise for more $$$ as they know we would all buy the HD remake.

What is the song of the video? Pretty cool, thanks.

To be fair to d3t, they seemingly planned to switch to full PBR, which is kinda impressive given the age of the codebase. But yeah, it wasn't leaps and bounds over the originals.
Unless PBR means professional bull riders (the first google result), I have no idea what that means. Can’t say that I know too much about the technical side of game design, but I think graphics are the least of Shenmue’s problems when it comes to their failure to attract a wider audience.

Unless PBR means professional bull riders (the first google result), I have no idea what that means. Can’t say that I know too much about the technical side of game design, but I think graphics are the least of Shenmue’s problems when it comes to their failure to attract a wider audience.

Physically-Based Rendering. It's one of the main reasons every new game created these days is made with something like Unity or UE4, because those engines have supported that almost since their inception and there's not a lot of legacy code that needs updating to facilitate it, which is the complete opposite to something like Shenmue, which is very much a relic of an era. I agree though, I don't think the graphics are necessarily the reason why people want a remake :p

"but the dude is trying to say that 1080/60fps is set in stone for some big titles"
Literally never said that, why do people like to twist his words?

All he said was that knows certain developers who told him it was trickier to achieve 4k/60 FPS on PS5 compared to XbSeriesX. That's it, he never said 4k/60fps cannot be achieved on PS5

Well usually that's what it means, if it becomes too difficult, sacrifices must be made somewhere, or the budget gets spent on remedying it.. Also...

He was removed from the moderation team at ResetEra.. very suspicious claims he's making, with no evidence at all.

Physically-Based Rendering. It's one of the main reasons every new game created these days is made with something like Unity or UE4, because those engines have supported that almost since their inception and there's not a lot of legacy code that needs updating to facilitate it, which is the complete opposite to something like Shenmue, which is very much a relic of an era. I agree though, I don't think the graphics are necessarily the reason why people want a remake :p

Well usually that's what it means, if it becomes too difficult, sacrifices must be made somewhere, or the budget gets spent on remedying it.. Also...

He was removed from the moderation team at ResetEra.. very suspicious claims he's making, with no evidence at all.
No, that's not what it means, it means certain developers are finding it tricky to achieve performance parity on their titles, not that 1080/60fps is set in stone. There is a huge difference between these two statements.

As for the reddit link, it just shows you're basing this information off of second hand information and hearsay, his "even things up" comment was posted in a thread that with a title along the lines of "does XBX has any advantages over PS5?" with the conversation overwhelmingly in favor of PS5, hence why dropped the nugget about certain devs struggling with 4k/60FPS on PS5, "evening things up" as in saying, the Xbox has certain advantages over PS5, too.

As for being 'sacked' as a mod, he adresses this on Twitter, had nothing to do with his info, and you can verify it with Era's administration.

Last edited:
No, that's not what it means, it means certain developers are finding it tricky to achieve performance parity on their titles, not that 1080/60fps is set in stone. There is a huge difference between these two statements.

I said "usually".

Given your previous responses then, I'm really unsure how you can arrive at this conclusion:

I was a little bit lenient before with my reply by just stating "I said 'usually'", because I don't really see how this would be different for other studios in similar positions. If you are finding it difficult to achieve X quality, be it resolution, logic itself or whatever, then it is undeniable and even common sense that you as a studio have to make a decision: do we make some sacrifices, or do we spend more money on this problem.. in the hopes of fixing it? There really aren't many things in the middle, outside of bugs in the current development firmware or something out of the studios control.. but given that Treyarch, a AAA studio is planning to run 120FPS on PS5 (and it is a next-gen title, there are two releases announced for CoD: Black Ops Cold War) I find it highly unlikely that they are the only studio capable of conquering such 'feats'.

Arguing over the semantics (whether it's actually 1080p/60, 1440p/60 or whatever) is almost irrelevant in these discussions because the way Golem's comments were framed, it makes it sound that PS5 is inferior in some respects without making any points as to why that is the case.. then a couple days later, a AAA studio announces a very big project which does more than just 4K @60...

Given your previous responses then, I'm really unsure how you can arrive at this conclusion:

I was a little bit lenient before with my reply by just stating "I said 'usually'", because I don't really see how this would be different for other studios in similar positions. If you are finding it difficult to achieve X quality, be it resolution, logic itself or whatever, then it is undeniable and even common sense that you as a studio have to make decision: do we make some sacrifices, or do we spend more money on this problem.. in the hopes of fixing it? There really aren't many things in the middle, outside of bugs in the current development firmware or something out of the studios control.. but given that Treyarch, a AAA studio is planning to run 120FPS on PS5 (and it is a next-gen title, there are two releases announced for CoD: Black Ops Cold War) I find it highly unlikely that they are the only studio capable of conquering such 'feats'.

Arguing over the semantics (whether it's actually 1080p/60, 1440p/60 or whatever) is almost irrelevant in these discussions because the way Golem's comments were framed, it makes it sound that PS5 is inferior in some respects without making any points as to why that is the case.. then a couple days later, a AAA studio announces a very big project which does more than just 4K @60...
CoD is a cross gen title regardless of how you cut it, Jackfrags played the the PS5 version and he says it looks exactly like Modren Warfare on PC @ Ultra settings. It's a last gen a game with extra bells and whistles with the resolution and framerate cranked up to 11

It's irrelevant anyway, PS5 will surely run true next gen games on 4k/60FPS, no one disputes that, the guy is claiming the developers he knows are struggling to achieve it on ***their*** games, an opting for reconstruction techniques whereas the XBX version of their games run native 4k, headache free .

CoD running at 4k/60FPS does not dispute or debunk any of that.

CoD is a cross gen title regardless of how you cut it, Jackfrags played the the PS5 version and he says it looks exactly like Modren Warfare on PC @ Ultra settings. It's a last gen a game with extra bells and whistles with the resolution and framerate cranked up to 11

It's irrelevant anyway, PS5 will surely run true next gen games on 4k/60FPS, no one disputes that, the guy is claiming the developers he knows are struggling to achieve it on ***their*** games, an opting for reconstruction techniques whereas the XBX version of their games run native 4k, headache free .

CoD running at 4k/60FPS does not dispute or debunk any of that.

Well no maybe not, but running at 120FPS shows there's a lot of headroom.. Also are you sure you're talking about the same CoD? Cold War uses HW accelerated ray tracing which isn't present on PS4 or last gen Xbox..

Nozomi's adventures in Canada

latest

Certainly won't need a big budget :LOL:

Well no maybe not, but running at 120FPS shows there's a lot of headroom.. Also are you sure you're talking about the same CoD? Cold War uses HW accelerated ray tracing which isn't present on PS4 or last gen Xbox..
My freind's 2070 runs MW on 140+ FPS, their engine is very optimized, it doesn't surprise me at all that PS5 would reach and surpass that.

And yes, we're talking about the same CoD, it's still a cross gen game, the PC ver. of MW had Ray Tracing too, it didn't make much of a difference, like I said, extra bells and whistles and framerate/resolution cranked up to 11.

Anyone else Googling "シェンムー" and "Shenmue" every hour? Got it set to 24 hours. Admittedly, my eyes start to glaze considering I can't actually read anything without translating via Google... Nothing obvious jumping out at me.

I'm weird.

Maybe is just Sega doing some stuff on their side, wich is not persé something bad
That's a possibility since they have been teasing a lot of Shenmue stuff in the past few months specially Sega Europe with merchandise and constant tweets regarding the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back