An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If done right a anime can be a nice addition to Shenmue. In anime have a genre called slice of life where is not about action and things like that, is about the daily life of the characters.

Shenmue Season 1 can be a good slice of life anime and with action, fights, even comedy and much more, 12 episodes in the first season. I'm sure Tom will put a smile on my face everytime he appears, 😊 Tom is one of my favorite characters. I like anime and i have hope that Shenmue can have a nice adaptation for anime.
Anime like Free! and Toradora were only really popular here in Japan and that’s mainly down to young girls being obsessed with the voice actors and being able to imagine their Yaoi fantasies - and even then - it’s a limited market and most slice of life Anime series struggle to get past the first few seasons.

The type of animated shows Netflix have been picking up either focus on comedy or action and whilst Shenmue can offer some of the latter, it’s a very small part of what Shenmue is. Also, Ryo’s quest to avenge his father is completely at odds with the typical ‘slice of life’ formula. His determination to get revenge wouldn’t allow for any of the typical SOL shenanigans without bringing his motivations into question.

Ultimately, you’re suggesting taking an incredibly niche video game and combining it with an incredibly niche (not to mention incredibly competitive) subset of Anime. I don’t think we need a venn diagram to see that there isn’t a large enough target demographic to make that work.

Anime like Free! and Toradora were only really popular here in Japan and that’s mainly down to young girls being obsessed with the voice actors and being able to imagine their Yaoi fantasies - and even then - it’s a limited market and most slice of life Anime series struggle to get past the first few seasons.

The type of animated shows Netflix have been picking up either focus on comedy or action and whilst Shenmue can offer some of the latter, it’s a very small part of what Shenmue is. Also, Ryo’s quest to avenge his father is completely at odds with the typical ‘slice of life’ formula. His determination to get revenge wouldn’t allow for any of the typical SOL shenanigans without bringing his motivations into question.

Ultimately, you’re suggesting taking an incredibly niche video game and combining it with an incredibly niche (not to mention incredibly competitive) subset of Anime. I don’t think we need a venn diagram to see that there isn’t a large enough target demographic to make that work.
I said slice of life but with action, fights, comedy and much more, if done right it can be awesome, the way i imagine the Shenmue anime in my head i think it would be awesome, but you don’t think that and that’s okay. I have a different opinion but i respect yours. 😊

So..

Bigger than a novel and for those who care about it's story? It's either story DLC or...

Netflix pulled a Dragons Dogma and they'll do an anime series?

"It's more for people who care about Shenmue's story" it is not Shenmue IV so it can be Shenmue III Baisha DLC or anime adaptation, something like that. I don't think it is Shenmue I and II for switch, if what he saying is true he said something new.

I'm anxious right now, i really what to know what this is. 🤣

So its about Shenmues story but not Shenmue 4, probably not a game port to a new platform
and not a novel. Also if its about Shenmues story, its safe to assume that this is not about
Shenmue characters appearing in other games.
Fun, unexpected and its about the story ... that also doesnt sound like a new DLC for Shenmue 3.
Like why would he choose the word fun for a new story DLC?
So whats left? The only options left are some kind of series / show i guess.

So its about Shenmues story but not Shenmue 4, probably not a game port to a new platform
and not a novel. Also if its about Shenmues story, its safe to assume that this is not about
Shenmue characters appearing in other games.
Fun, unexpected and its about the story ... that also doesnt sound like a new DLC for Shenmue 3.
Like why would he choose the word fun for a new story DLC?
So whats left? The only options left are some kind of series / show i guess.
It’s starting to look that way. RIP Shenmue.

Yeah, all these specific references to "story" tells me it probably isn't game-related -- 98% sure. Has to be some kinda video/mini series -- something along those lines.

I'll give a 1.5% chance to an app, VR experience or side-story mobile game, and 0.5% for story DLC. I think Cedric would know about any DLC, and I don't think he'd lie about it -- he'd either "no comment" or simply ignore the question.

Also, for those already worried about how this could be bad for the series...a game being explored in other mediums is almost always a good thing. It opens up the story to a new audience, creates new fans etc. Rarely do these things compete with the "main" product -- they exist to enhance it.

Sure, this could be "the rest of the story is now an anime!" but I highly doubt it at this stage.

Yeah, all these specific references to "story" tells me it probably isn't game-related -- 98% sure. Has to be some kinda video/mini series -- something along those lines.

I'll give a 1.5% chance to an app, VR experience or side-story mobile game, and 0.5% for story DLC. I think Cedric would know about any DLC, and I don't think he'd lie about it -- he'd either "no comment" or simply ignore the question.

Also, for those already worried about how this could be bad for the series...a game being explored in other mediums is almost always a good thing. It opens up the story to a new audience, creates new fans etc. Rarely do these things compete with the "main" product -- they exist to enhance it.

Sure, this could be "the rest of the story is now an anime!" but I highly doubt it at this stage.
Yeah. I think when he says that this is ‘more for people who care about Shenmue’s story’, the implication is ‘than people who enjoy the gameplay loop’. I’d be very surprised if it turns out to be something interactive at this point.

In theory taking Shenmue into another medium isn’t a bad thing, but it’s story and pacing don’t really lend themselves well to a visual series as is. As for medium transitions enhancing and not damaging the original work, tell that to fans of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

I think it will be adapting specific chapters into an OVA, not necessarily a full blown anime series. I wouldn't mind it though, as long as there is a shenmue 4 haha
OVAs is a nice idea too, in my opinion it can be... hm... lets say maybe 6 OVAs of 45 minutes each, 2 OVAs to tell the story of each game, maybe one of the OVAs will tell the story of the boat chapter. I love anime and manga and i wouldn't mind if it is a manga/anime adaptation of Shenmue I till Shenmue III, as long as there is a Shenmue 4 game. 🤣

I'm starting to convince myself that it could be a coffee table type book, or something. Maybe Sega wants to make a Hyrule Historia sort of deal out of it. How that would be "bigger" than a novel, I don't know, but I wouldn't consider anime or live action adaptations to be "bigger" than a novel either.

I really, really, hope it's not anime. Just, no anime, no TV show, no Netflix, please. For the love of all that is holy, please!

I'm already getting kind of depressed--.

\
I'm starting to convince myself that it could be a coffee table type book, or something. Maybe Sega wants to make a Hyrule Historia sort of deal out of it. How that would be "bigger" than a novel, I don't know, but I wouldn't consider anime or live action adaptations to be "bigger" than a novel either.

I really, really, hope it's not anime. Just, no anime, no TV show, no Netflix, please. For the love of all that is holy, please!

Maybe a Shenmue breakfast cereal. They could tell the rest of the story on the back of the cereal boxes.

But, why? It all comes down to execution, as in all forms of media.

They could make a fantastic anime or video series. Or it could be bad, but the same can be said for anything, be it a book, film or game. I don't really watch anime but I acknowledge there is good anime.

The great thing about cross-media stuff is you can seperate it from the main thing. Just because the Resident Evil movies are trash doesn't mean the games are automatically trash, too.

I understand wanting IV. This was clearly never going to be that.

Some people don't like anime/manga and i get that and i respect, but a anime/manga adaptation of Shenmue would really be a disaster and kill Shenmue forever and ever? i really don't think this will happen, i could be wrong of course but i think this will not happen.

Imagine if it is a OVA of 45 minutes telling the story of the boat chapter or other thing that was cut in the games, i think that would be really nice, will add more to Shenmue story. Even the short manga that we got a long time ago i think it added a little more to the story, we even saw Ziming talking with Niao sun in one of the pages, a little story with Guizhang and Joy, and it was really nice, yeah it was short but it added a little more to the story.

As orient said it all comes down to execution, as in all forms of media.

We've been craving new story info for years (some would argue even moreso post-S3) and this type of thing (video/TV/film) is a great way to explore things not explicitly covered in-game, or even retell the same story in a different way.

As long as it's not "The future of Shenmue is not in video games" then I'm open to whatever they're doing. Then I will judge the actual quality of the thing when it comes out.

We've been craving new story info for years (some would argue even moreso post-S3) and this type of thing (video/TV/film) is a great way to explore things not explicitly covered in-game, or even retell the same story in a different way.

As long as it's not "The future of Shenmue is not in video games" then I'm open to whatever they're doing. Then I will judge the actual quality of the thing when it comes out.
A Shenmue Anime needn’t be inherently bad, but I think it’s an incredibly difficult adaptation to get right and would require some serious character development, amongst other things, to get viewers hooked.

The main story beats are interesting enough, but a lot of the stuff that comes between them can be incredibly mundane (can you imagine an episode where Ryo walks around asking about sailors?) with very little action taking place aside from the odd scuffle. Without writing in some additional events and some new antagonists, I could see it getting very boring very quickly.

An anime could lead to more people picking up The Shenmue games (see the Witcher 3 after the Netflix series), but I think it’s far more likely to crash and burn which would ultimately make securing funding for a fourth game even harder for Yu. It could also end up turning current fans away from the series depending on what/how much they change to make it fit the new medium.

If they’re really going to go down this route, I’d much rather they focused solely on Ren and his life leading up to meeting Ryo. From what we know of him already, he’s lived a pretty exciting life and considering how little we do know, the writers would have complete creative freedom without being held back by the canon established in the first few games.

We will have to see how this pans out. I mean an anime might not be the worst thing if they cover Shenmue 1-3 only or do a spin off of Ren or something like that.

If it was said 100% "no more games this will finish the saga" I'd be disappointed initially but eventually watch it.

We also need to consider that if this picked up traction (assuming it's not a crappy rumour) and introduced new people to the story of the first 3 games that it because popular then it would make a 4th game a much easier sell. It would be more appealing as everyone would be at the same point.

At this stage, assuming it is an anime and it is Sega pushing this, it could mean, and I stress could mean, that Sega are seriously considering a Shenmue 4 game down the line. Which is ultimately what we all want.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back