An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like some supplement material to fleshen out the CYM, seeing Lan Di be recruited at Meng Cun or wherever they found him, explaining some gaps like the ancient war of the mirrors. If 4 was the last one, it could be a decent idea. I would hate if it's a glorified cancellation, where an anime or whatever, shows the rest of the story.

We will have to see how this pans out. I mean an anime might not be the worst thing if they cover Shenmue 1-3 only or do a spin off of Ren or something like that.

If it was said 100% "no more games this will finish the saga" I'd be disappointed initially but eventually watch it.

We also need to consider that if this picked up traction and introduced new people to the story of the first 3 games that it because popular then it would make a 4th game a much easier sell. It would be more appealing as everyone would be at the same point.

At this stage, assuming it is an anime and it is Sega pushing this, it could mean, and I stress could mean, that Sega are seriously considering a Shenmue 4 game down the line. Which is ultimately what we all want.
I’d be very surprised if the plan was to only cover 40% of the story (Shenmue 1-3) and so assuming we do get an anime (or live action show) that retreads old ground, I’d guess the plan is to follow the story to its intended conclusion.

This wouldn’t necessarily negate the possibility of the story also continuing in game form, but if the show were to find success, we may very well find ourselves in a Game of Thrones situation where the show overtakes the source material and the creator loses interest in completing the story in its intended medium.

Assuming it’s been picked up by Netflix, I wouldn’t fancy its chances of getting past a second season anyway. The way that Netflix structures their contracts, it becomes increasingly expensive to produce shows with each passing season which is why most Netflix shows don’t make it past their second or third seasons. Depending on how it’s written, there may well be an audience for a serialized version of the Shenmue story, but I can’t see that audience being large enough for them to be able to see out the story unless it’s in a massively abridged form.

I’d be very surprised if the plan was to only cover 40% of the story (Shenmue 1-3) and so assuming we do get an anime (or live action show) that retreads old ground, I’d guess the plan is to follow the story to its intended conclusion.

This wouldn’t necessarily negate the possibility of the story also continuing in game form, but if the show were to find success, we may very well find ourselves in a Game of Thrones situation where the show overtakes the source material and the creator loses interest in completing the story in its intended medium.

Assuming it’s been picked up by Netflix, I wouldn’t fancy its chances of getting past a second season anyway. The way that Netflix structures their contracts, it becomes increasingly expensive to produce shows with each passing season which is why most Netflix shows don’t make it past their second or third seasons. Depending on how it’s written, there may well be an audience for a serialized version of the Shenmue story, but I can’t see that audience being large enough for them to be able to see out the story unless it’s in a massively abridged form.
Could be true I hope that doesnt happen here if it turns out to be an anime. I mean if it's a one off film it could be better to avoid that?

I suppose if it was a longer series they could include the missing chapter cards but that could undermine the games?

If it got on Netflix in the first place I'd be impressed but if it did and gathered an audience it could open a Avenue for the Shenmue Documentary as I know they wanted to get on Netflix too

Assuming that an anime is actually happening or ever will happen, there's no way Netflix will have picked it up. If A Gamer's Journey couldn't even get picked up by Netflix then they aren't going to pay for a Shenmue anime.

I'm starting to wonder if it might be some kind of "Shenmue Passport" free DLC for Shenmue III released at the same time as the Steam release?

Perhaps it will have some non interactive cut scenes or side stories that flesh out certain parts of the game (maybe a day in the life of certain characters), but is also fun in that it will allow you to know more about the characters lives in much the same way Shenmue Passport did?

I think that would be pretty cool actually :)

Assuming that an anime is actually happening or ever will happen, there's no way Netflix will have picked it up. If A Gamer's Journey couldn't even get picked up by Netflix then they aren't going to pay for a Shenmue anime.
This seems like a rather strange comparison to make. We’re talking about two entirely different genres, not to mention one is a one off doc with a pre-defined, niche audience whilst the other could create its own audience if done well and could be tweaked to appeal to a wide audience. I’d be more surprised if Netflix actually picked up AGJ than a Shenmue live action or anime series.
Could be true I hope that doesnt happen here if it turns out to be an anime. I mean if it's a one off film it could be better to avoid that?

I suppose if it was a longer series they could include the missing chapter cards but that could undermine the games?

If it got on Netflix in the first place I'd be impressed but if it did and gathered an audience it could open a Avenue for the Shenmue Documentary as I know they wanted to get on Netflix too
A stand-alone movie could be interesting and this might be something that Sega are considering given the success of the Sonic movie. I think it might encounter some of the same pitfalls as a TV adaptation would, but being a single entity would negate the need for quite as many big story moments and make the job of the writers a bit easier. I’d definitely see it standing a better chance at being successful, but it would still be tough though.

Netflix have always been a pretty easy company to do business with and commission a hell of a lot (although not all of it ever sees the light of day), but I can see how the limited appeal of a Shenmue documentary might prove to be a tough sell (to be clear here, I’m not trying to shit on the documentary as from what I’ve seen of it it is pretty good, but it covers a very niche subject which is unlikely to appeal to a wider audience). A successful Netflix series (or movie) would certainly help to rectify this though.

Shenmue 1 & 2 remake with modern graphics unfortuanetly is what I suspect. While that's the best possible expectation if it comes from Sega, I was hoping it'd be something from Ysnet like a bridge between Shenmue 3 and 4 at least. If Sega is talking Shenmue on Twitter, likely going to be the HD remakes that were canned, especially since the 1 & 2 ports for PC, Xbox and PS4 sold better than expected and the game was ranked best Sega game ever by IGN.

Maybe "Shenmue 3: The Movie" focusing on just the story progression without the side stuff like they did with the original Xbox release of Shenmue 2 when they included Shenmue: The Movie. Only in the case of Shenmue 3: The Movie it will only be 10 minutes long.

This seems like a rather strange comparison to make. We’re talking about two entirely different genres, not to mention one is a one off doc with a pre-defined, niche audience whilst the other could create its own audience if done well and could be tweaked to appeal to a wide audience. I’d be more surprised if Netflix actually picked up AGJ than a Shenmue live action or anime series.

A stand-alone movie could be interesting and this might be something that Sega are considering given the success of the Sonic movie. I think it might encounter some of the same pitfalls as a TV adaptation would, but being a single entity would negate the need for quite as many big story moments and make the job of the writers a bit easier. I’d definitely see it standing a better chance at being successful, but it would still be tough though.

Netflix have always been a pretty easy company to do business with and commission a hell of a lot (although not all of it ever sees the light of day), but I can see how the limited appeal of a Shenmue documentary might prove to be a tough sell (to be clear here, I’m not trying to shit on the documentary as from what I’ve seen of it it is pretty good, but it covers a very niche subject which is unlikely to appeal to a wider audience). A successful Netflix series (or movie) would certainly help to rectify this though.

Not to shit on Shenmue, but why would Netflix be even remotely interested in anything to do with that franchise? Especially after the most recent entry in the series, rightly or wrongly, is perceived to be a flop and a failure, both critically and financially.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Netflix used to pick up anything and everything but are now far more difficult to pitch to?

A documentary and a live action or anime film/series are two very different things, but surely if you're willing to pick up a show based on Shenmue, you'd then be more open to the documentary? I mean the two things kind accommodate each other pretty well, don't you think? A bit like Netflix had a series called Dirty John based on a true story and they also released a documentary about the real event. In fact, now I think about it, that's pretty common on Netflix. So my point wasn't that they are similar in isolation, but that if Netflix was going to pick up an anime or whatever, that the documentary should have been an easy sell.

Again, I'm not trying to shit on the idea or even the series, I would personally love to see a Shenmue anime or film or live action show, but I'm struggling to see who the target market would be. Sonic will always appeal to kids and a big Hollywood produced film appeals to both the 'kidults' and their children, but who does a Shenmue film or series appeal to?

I just don't know if I see it being a reasonably large budget or Netflix type thing if it does happen. I hope I'm wrong though, because if they are going to do something like that, I want it done well.

Honestly, the more I hear about this rumour, the more I can’t help but feel disappointed.

I don’t want an anime, manga or Netflix show. I also don’t want side story projects when the mainline series is currently in danger of never being finished.

Honestly, the more I hear about this rumour, the more I can’t help but feel disappointed.

I don’t want an anime, manga or Netflix show. I also don’t want side story projects when the mainline series is currently in danger of never being finished.

If those things prove to be successful then it can only help the mainline series chance of continuing. Anything can help right now (unless it's dogshit) because as it stands the chances of 4 ever being commissioned is already pretty damn low.

From all the clues we heard so far there is a good chance for this to be an anime adaption.
If done well (approaching studio ghibli, studio ponoc quality) this could be really good, along the lines of the concept arts.
It should only go up to 3 however, and further once 4 is released.
Maybe in terms of lore a prequel at the time of the emperor would be better.

Last edited:
Not to shit on Shenmue, but why would Netflix be even remotely interested in anything to do with that franchise? Especially after the most recent entry in the series, rightly or wrongly, is perceived to be a flop and a failure, both critically and financially.
Netflix have had a fair amount of success recently with video game adaptations. There’s a ready made audience and they’d have the ability to help shape it into something palatable. I’m not saying it’s an easy sell or anything, but they’ve picked up smaller projects in the past.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Netflix used to pick up anything and everything but are now far more difficult to pitch to?
I’ve been out of the industry for a while now, but from what I hear from those I know still working in it Netflix are actually expanding their search for new content in an attempt to compete with new entrants to the streaming market.
A documentary and a live action or anime film/series are two very different things, but surely if you're willing to pick up a show based on Shenmue, you'd then be more open to the documentary? I mean the two things kind accommodate each other pretty well, don't you think? A bit like Netflix had a series called Dirty John based on a true story and they also released a documentary about the real event. In fact, now I think about it, that's pretty common on Netflix. So my point wasn't that they are similar in isolation, but that if Netflix was going to pick up an anime or whatever, that the documentary should have been an easy sell.
The documentary has a predetermined audience (Shenmue fans) and even then, there’s clear evidence to suggest that not all Shenmue fans care about the concept of a documentary. Then there’s the fact that a lot of the people who do care have already got a blu-day copy of the completed documentary coming to them on completion, so are they really going to be signing up to Netflix to watch it again?

A Shenmue series on the other hand can be whatever they want it to be (in terms of the demographics they target) whilst also drawing on the game’s pre-existing fan base to boot. It’s a much easier sell.

You’re right though that if they were to produce a Shenmue series and it ended up being successful, it would then certainly make sense for them to pick up the documentary as well.
Again, I'm not trying to shit on the idea or even the series, I would personally love to see a Shenmue anime or film or live action show, but I'm struggling to see who the target market would be. Sonic will always appeal to kids and a big Hollywood produced film appeals to both the 'kidults' and their children, but who does a Shenmue film or series appeal to?
People who like video games, people who like martial arts, people with an interest in Asian culture, people who like well produced anime, people who like Shenmue. They could literally tailor the content to target any or all of these demographics providing they stick loosely to the overarching revenge plot.
I just don't know if I see it being a reasonably large budget or Netflix type thing if it does happen. I hope I'm wrong though, because if they are going to do something like that, I want it done well.
I don’t know anybody who has sold a pre-made project to Netflix, but I do know people who have successfully pitched series to them and from what I’m told, Netflix typically offer around 120% of the projects budget. Assuming they make a 6x30min season, we’re probably talking about half a million dollars if things are done on a budget - which in television is chump change (for comparison, this is how much each of the leads in GoT were paid per episode for the final season).

As massively disappointing and offensive as an anime/manga/comic cartoon would be for this amazing game franchise, does anyone think it's possible that maybe they'll push forward with what was supposed to be Shenmue 4 in the form of a cartoon movie so this way Suzuki can focus on Shenmue 5 later or whatever the conclusion would be in game form if he can find funding. If there's still approx 60% left of story to tell, and if Suzuki is realizing they can't fund 4 and 5, perhaps they'll move it along with some other unfortunate medium of media so if we do manage to get one more game out of it, it'll be closer to completion?? I hope not, but I haven't seen this idea suggested yet, even though it falls within the parameters of the rumor: Bigger than a novel, but not actually Shenmue 4 game.

You've both covered what I was going to say @tomboz and @Reprise

I do think if it is picked up and delivered well then it could certainly create momentum given there are plenty of general anime fans out there. My wife likes anime and would probably watch it out of curiosity so she couldn't be alone in that.

As has been said above if they did Shenmue 1-3, fleshed it out in a series or a film, added in some cut content and tailored it for the wider audience then it could have a real positive impact on a Shenmue 4 game happening. We also know Sega are keen on starting their own cinematic universe so this could easily fit into that parameter.

It might divide some opinion (I would prefer a game) but unless they say 100% Shenmue will never carry on in game form then I'd be up for anything that exposes the series to a wider audience to give a better chance of getting Shenmue 4.

Whats the betting they announce this on Shenmue Day (4th Sept) 🤣🤣

This is of course if any of it is even true. If it is then we've got an interesting journey ahead of us. I'd rather have this issue than the series laying dormant for an extended period of time again.

Plus this has given the community a real shot in the arm. It's being talked about everywhere in the communities. People are excited for the first time since Shenmue III launched and that can never be a bad thing.

Last edited:
I truly believe that Suzuki would rather finish the series as a game or die trying (I really, really hope he doesn't die).

From a selfish point of view, I really hope it's nothing to do with Netflix as I don't like them. I'm still stubborn and buy physical media and I find it kinda sad that millions of people will watch crap on it when there's hundreds of years of great media out there. (I will begrudingly concede they did a solid by funding Scorcese's "The Irishman", but I still paid to go see it at the cinema the way it's meant to be).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back