An annoucement about shenmue is coming ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exciting news ahead! What a great day!

The "sour" part of the announcement I would bet will be that the new anime diverts a good amount in tone or content from the games. In the worst case, something like the World of Final Fantasy game where it was all chibi versions of the characters LOL:

1366_2000.jpg
You joke but that is probably the best thing to come out of the franchise in over a decade... genuine a fun experience!

Could you think of the potential influence this anime/netflix adaptation could bring? If it happens to be really good it could possibly bring Shenmue to the mainstream and bring over a lot more people to play the games and get invested into this series. For Shenmue's story to be presented outside of a video game is what we needed all this time.

If the story of this potential anime pushes beyond Shenmue III, it would be very crazy. If this happened, anyone gonna try to avoid any story spoilers" that might crop up in a fourth game?

I was about to make a post last night that said "Man, the hype on this peaked too early. It seems we still have 1-3 weeks left before hearing any news", but didn't post because I thought it wouldn't add anything. I sure would have looked dumb(er)!

I suppose if there's a crunchyroll event this weekend and the announcement is supposed to be this weekend, then it does line up that an anime could be announced. I'm not sure how that would be "sweet and sour", though I suppose anything that's not Shenmue IV would be considered "sour". My other thought is that "sweet and sour" would mean that Sega is back onboard in investing in a new and smaller installment, or some sort of remake of Shenmue 1-3. It would be sour because it would remind us of all the neglect they've had for the franchise over the years, only for a kickstarter project to revive the series for them.

If it's an anime, I wouldn't worry about the story going past Shenmue III. It would make no sense for them to do this, and other game properties like Persona have had one off anime series based off of individual installments.

What is it exactly you're looking to do? If you have previous game development experience, you could potentially join the team as some of our team members have had no prior UE experience but are still able to help out. I dedicate roughly 90% of my spare time to something Shenmue-related, so I'm always around.
Unfortunately, I do not have any videogame experience pure backend AWS/webservices experience here.

My main motivationis that I do miss Shining Force games so I was thinking that trying to do a remake of it as a side project could really be a good learning experience/hobby since now that I do not really have to commute work-home I do have a lot of more time in my hands but so far looking the main unreal learning website has been super underwhelming aside of the kickstarter that explained a bit the engine structure.

I wouldn't main joining as a 1 learning experience but at least initially I would probably be super noob and not that useful until I learn the ropes.

And just to confirm the announcement is not that your remake is being officially recognized by SEGA and licensed?
It’s got to be Netflix. They seem to be investing a LOT into original content.

As long as the anime isn’t the Berserk 2016-style animation I’m interested.
I hope its not 3D CGI as those seem to be quite janky on the animation side. Dorohedoro, Beastars, the Ghost in the shell have been 3D and damn how nonfluid the animation is in those.

And please do not summon Berserk here. I do not want to jinx this opportunity...

I suppose if there's a crunchyroll event this weekend and the announcement is supposed to be this weekend, then it does line up that an anime could be announced. I'm not sure how that would be "sweet and sour", though I suppose anything that's not Shenmue IV would be considered "sour". My other thought is that "sweet and sour" would mean that Sega is back onboard in investing in a new and smaller installment, or some sort of remake of Shenmue 1-3. It would be sour because it would remind us of all the neglect they've had for the franchise over the years, only for a kickstarter project to revive the series for them.

If it's an anime, I wouldn't worry about the story going past Shenmue III. It would make no sense for them to do this, and other game properties like Persona have had one off anime series based off of individual installments.

For me I think the "sour" part of this is likely that it is an "anime" (or whatever it turns out to be) and as such would be so because it wouldn't be a game, which would be expected.

I was about to make a post last night that said "Man, the hype on this peaked too early. It seems we still have 1-3 weeks left before hearing any news", but didn't post because I thought it wouldn't add anything. I sure would have looked dumb(er)!

I wouldn't mind if an anime goes past 4, but as long as it doesn't dip into important threads that I'd prefer to be introduced in 4 like Shenhua's secret history or Ryo meeting Ziming.

SEGA does a lot of anime promotion, Valkyria Chronicles 1 had it, the new Sakura wars also had it so it is kinda a good sign IMHo if they support a Shenmue anime.

I was thinking the same.
If it's a Sega produced anime, at least we can be sure that it would be a quality project.

Okay guys. Looks like it's all figured out ! :sneaky:

On saturday we will get the announce of 'Shibuya productions' new anime. Hopefully a series...

Yes, it totally looks like Cedric's kinda angry answer points he is the producer of this anime. And as someone pointed out : he knows the date of the announce, when some days ago he did pretend he didn't know anything about this :sneaky:.

Shibuya Productions did a reboot for Astro Boy, Cobra, and last year they organized the meeting between the japanese creator of Captain Harlock and a french drawer in order for them to collaborate on another reboot... Linking people and getting IP's is a part of their job.

They did negociate Sega's permission to create Shenmue 3 and helped to produce it. They know Yu Suzuki very well. It means he's on board, which is reassuring. And maybe they have Kenji Miyawaki (Shenmue's main character designer) to design the anime.

Shibuya respects the original creations and works with artists to make it look modern. I totally trust them to pay respect to Shenmue. Plus : with their new Manga label "Iwa", it opens ways for a Shenmue manga afterwards... Can't wait ! :cool:

Cobra teaser
Astro boy teaser
If Shibuya Productions is involved with this new project whatever it may be (likely a new anime), I will be so relieved.

Cedric has so much passion for Shenmue that I know he would fight for any new projects to be handled with the utmost respect and be as faithful as possible to Yu Suzuki's vision.

For me I think the "sour" part of this is likely that it is an "anime" (or whatever it turns out to be) and as such would be so because it wouldn't be a game, which would be expected.

Yeah, I wouldn't be super hyped on an anime series myself, but I would still watch a Shenmue series at the very least to raise their viewership numbers. However, I think if they're willing to make an anime series I would still consider that a positive since it will most likely be made to support Shenmue IV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back