Battle Rally DLC next week!

Oh my God I knew there was a character selection for outfitting in the settings for a reason.

Dudes... We're gonna get to play as Ren!!!! That's fucking awesome!!!!!

It's so awesome it ain't even funny. And being able to change clothes? Why yes, please. Imagine Ren without a jacket is Ren without a jacket. Unless they pose a t-shirt compulsory which is also fine. Everything is fine. Also excited to see when we can change Shenhuas outfit.

I didn't expect a DLC to come this soon tbh, and to think we have two more lined up ... It's almost as if they're priming us for Shenmue IV to be released shortly after the last one drops.

Yeah, a lot of people have been saying they wouldn't expect an announcement of IV before DLC drops (suppose that makes sense) but also not to expect DLC until much later this year. Hopefully these "next steps" include getting the DLC out the door in the next few months to queue up an official confirmation of SIV maybe by end of Q2?

Although to be fair they could very casually confirm IV is happening in an interview or tweet without much fanfare, at any time. Weirder things have happened.

It's so awesome it ain't even funny. And being able to change clothes? Why yes, please. Imagine Ren without a jacket is Ren without a jacket. Unless they pose a t-shirt compulsory which is also fine. Everything is fine. Also excited to see when we can change Shenhuas outfit.

I didn't expect a DLC to come this soon tbh, and to think we have two more lined up ... It's almost as if they're priming us for Shenmue IV to be released shortly after the last one drops.
I'm not sure about that.

Because they have to divide their employees into 2 groups. One group works on DLCs of Shenmue 3 while the other group is working on 4.
So it may take more time to make 4.

Haven't they expanded the number of employees after 3 ?

Why would they? Releasing it in pieces keeps Shenmue 3 fresh. If they just dump it all at once it won’t have as much longevity
Because 1st month is the most important month of the game support. They would sell more DLCs at that time compared to later.

That is why I think they started working on the DLCs after the release.(Since they would release them much sooner if they were ready at launch.)

Yeah, a lot of people have been saying they wouldn't expect an announcement of IV before DLC drops (suppose that makes sense) but also not to expect DLC until much later this year. Hopefully these "next steps" include getting the DLC out the door in the next few months to queue up an official confirmation of SIV maybe by end of Q2?

Although to be fair they could very casually confirm IV is happening in an interview or tweet without much fanfare, at any time. Weirder things have happened.

I think it's because people save the hype for a real announcement, not to mention the game could take 2-4 years to make.

This dlc sounds totally bonkers and completely defies my expectations. I was expecting the battle rally content to be free battle based, not racing! While my initial reaction was wtf, I quickly reminded myself that this is Shenmue that we're dealing with, the rpg series that has already given us forklift and duck racing. So let's see what exactly they have in store for us.

Yu is born with the arcade. I suppose he will do what Sega AM2 always did with Virtua Fighter, i.e. releasing regular revisions to keep player's interest awake until the next installment. I don't know if it's the best solution money-wise but that's what I expect.

Could the dlc be something like the VR game in judgment ?
That’s one of the things I was thinking it could be. A type of board game. I can’t imagine an actual foot race in Shenmue 3 unless they created a whole new mechanic for racing. The game practically discouraged running! The VR game in Judgment isn’t that great, though I think it was my main way of making money...

Because 1st month is the most important month of the game support. They would sell more DLCs at that time compared to later.

That is why I think they started working on the DLCs after the release.(Since they would release them much sooner if they were ready at launch.)
But we know this not to be true. We saw screens from both the cruise DLC and the story DLC about two months prior to release and iirc, someone checked the metadata and found that the images were already a few months old at that point.

It’s possible that they were only in the early stages, but they looked pretty polished to me. It would also make a lot more sense for them to have been working on the DLC in advance as it would have allowed them to record all of the VO at the same time. Trying to get both the Japanese and English VO cast back into the studio for a second session (most likely with very few lines) would be as difficult as it would be expensive.

Scarlatto.

And it has a distinctly Japanese-feel, despite the English-speaking singer.

It does? Iol I never got that impression. And I've listened to many mid 80's/90's Japanese rock bands. Definitely sounded like Sammy Hagar era Van Halen or Sammy Hagar's solo work meets Judas Priest lol

Last edited:

Hopefully IV is on PS5 but even if its not, since the PS5 is backwards compatible that'll be cool too since it can speed up load times drastically of PS4 games as seen with the Spider-Man game comparison. Thats gonna be cool. Hope it also eliminates pop in.

If IV drops on PS5 that'll be tough. From what I gather PS5 will be £600 plus.... Hope we see it on PS4 but 'PS5 enhanced' or something.

Racing DLC is just weird but then again could be really cool and interesting. On foot? On vehicles?

If IV drops on PS5 that'll be tough. From what I gather PS5 will be £600 plus.... Hope we see it on PS4 but 'PS5 enhanced' or something.

Racing DLC is just weird but then again could be really cool and interesting. On foot? On vehicles?
I think Shenmue will somehow become like Yakuza. A franchise which focuses on the gameplay more than graphics.(If I remember correctly Yakuza 0 was a PS3 game)

Back