Budget Is NOT An Excuse

For me it's because he clearly has a use for Ryo or even an acceptance that he would go after him. There's more to Lan Di than meets what little we've seen of him. He has plans for Ryo I'm sure

I disagree. Lan Di was about to kill him. 'Allow me to reunite you with your father' is what he said to Ryo before he was distracted by Ren. He's not interested in Ryo and probably sees him as just a nuisance.

I disagree. Lan Di was about to kill him. 'Allow me to reunite you with your father' is what he said to Ryo before he was distracted by Ren. He's not interested in Ryo and probably sees him as just a nuisance.
So why not just muller him first blow, much like he did to Iwao? I see your point and it's just a personal hunch but I'm sure there's more to it.

Interesting. But I think that the director decided to move that plot into Shenmue 4.(Probably at the opening level of Shenmue 4 he will have some dialogues about it.)

For me the only part of the story that was kinda weird was when Ren threw the mirror out of the window and Lan Di just stared at that direction like a slow minded person while the fire was burning the place around him.
Why was he like that ?

But again that Shenmue 2 escape scene of Lan Di was also felt weird for me at that time.(Why escape while a person he is looking for is in that building and he can easily beat the crap out of Ryo ?)

From Lan Di's reaction, it seems to convey his silent and deep despair that he failed to retrieve the mirrors which belonged to his father, which he feels it's his responsibility or his father's wish. In a way, he is blaming himself inside that he has failed his father.
About that Shenmue 2's helicopter scene, Lan Di left because he is not one who goes into a fight unnecessarily, and seeing there's Ren and Ryo there, he would probably have to hurt them to get Yuanda. I feel although he is powerful, he does not hurt people unnecessarily or underestimate his foes.

From Lan Di's reaction, it seems to convey his silent and deep despair that he failed to retrieve the mirrors which belonged to his father, which he feels it's his responsibility or his father's wish. In a way, he is blaming himself inside that he has failed his father.
About that Shenmue 2's helicopter scene, Lan Di left because he is not one who goes into a fight unnecessarily, and seeing there's Ren and Ryo there, he would probably have to hurt them to get Yuanda. I feel although he is powerful, he does not hurt people unnecessarily or underestimate his foes.

Exactly, otherwise he would have just straight up murdered Fuku, Inesan, Tom and Nozomi. They all argued with him.

Great post

I always thought that Lan Di's reaction to Ryo having the Phoenix Mirror was some kind of regret for killing Iwao. Like if Iwao had both mirrors and didn't go after the treasure, was he such a bad guy after all?

Having finished the game, I totally agree with you OP.
The game has big writing, cutscene direction and character developpement issues. The problem is, that's where I expected the game to feel right.
I feel like they basically spent more time making it a full Shenmue experience with cut corners everywhere instead of focusing on key aspects.

This is why the whole thing feels like a concept game, to get some core systems down around the full Shenmue experience ready for the real hard story push in Shenmue 4. Of course I could be very wrong and a similar thing happens in Shenmue 4.

This is why the whole thing feels like a concept game, to get some core systems down around the full Shenmue experience ready for the real hard story push in Shenmue 4. Of course I could be very wrong and a similar thing happens in Shenmue 4.

Well, that's also where I agree. Despite being disappointed... I cant shake off the feeling that Shenmue IV might be to 3 what Shenmue II was to I.

Well, that's also where I agree. Despite being disappointed... I cant shake off the feeling that Shenmue IV might be to 3 what Shenmue II was to I.
Exactly my thinking. Gives them time to firm up what was good, brush up on what didn't work so well and, hopefully, knock it out of the park with Shenmue 4

Exactly my thinking. Gives them time to firm up what was good, brush up on what didn't work so well and, hopefully, knock it out of the park with Shenmue 4
For now, I've heard they are making some DLCs for Shnemue 3.

Is there going to be some new story content ? Or it's just going to be some extra side missions and areas that you don't visit to progress the story ?

That’s my guess as well, spud and ghost, but I must admit it’s also a bit of wishful thinking. I said it’s definitely a great proof of concept. They do have a studio now and UE4 experience, but I wonder how many people they’re truly keeping around the studio now that the game is out. Will they have to rebuild the team? that’s why I hope they just kept working on the new game with whatever funds they raised from 3.

Is there going to be some new story content ? Or it's just going to be some extra side missions and areas that you don't visit to progress the story ?
There is a bit of story content.

Look at your own peril but heres the trophy list for the DLC

I always thought that Lan Di's reaction to Ryo having the Phoenix Mirror was some kind of regret for killing Iwao. Like if Iwao had both mirrors and didn't go after the treasure, was he such a bad guy after all?
Unfortunately that theory can be debunked by the bad ending of Shenmue 1. Where Lan Di visits Ryo's home and asks him about the pheonix mirror.(Which then he kills Ryo.)
It didn't look like that he regretted killing Iwao.

Are the bad endings considered canon? Just wondering because in S2 doesn’t Lan Di say something about “taking Shenhua’s power for Chi You”? I thought Lan Di let Ryo go in S2 because he knew something about Shenhua but I think the story is pretty messy at this point.

It really does. It also feels it was to let the team learn how to use UE4. Probably Yu put himself in a corner promising the 3 main areas in the KS instead of just focusing in just one (Bailu) and in order to not betray to much the backers He sacrificed character depth for the side characters in order to have Bailu and Niaowu in the game.

Also, about budget:
The Trails/Kiseki serie is a low budget one and yet its world building is MASSIVE with a huge cast and a shitload of NPCs with a lot of them having an on going life as the game progress.

Budget is an excuse for a lot of things. Writing and world building isn't one.

Also, about budget:
The Trails/Kiseki serie is a low budget one and yet its world building is MASSIVE with a huge cast and a shitload of NPCs with a lot of them having an on going life as the game progress.

Budget is an excuse for a lot of things. Writing and world building isn't one.
But is it an open world game ? I haven't heard of it.

Edit: Also does it have lots of mini games like Shenmue ? Or fully voiced dialogues ?

Last edited:
Back