Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coronavirus is more contagious than the flu.

Making false comparisons to the flu and spouting them online is spreading misinformation- no idea what the last point you were trying to make really is

1. They're both Coronaviruses.
2. They both attack respiratory functionality.
3. They are transmitted the same way.
4. Incubation period is similar, if not identical.

The only major difference is that it is EASIER to contract the flu and it is more deadly than the flu.

Therefore, it absolutely is, "flu-like," but it isn't the flu.

Secondly, I haven't seen misinformation since like, Tuesday; the world has changed its tune significantly, in the past 3 days.

Reactions: ys.
The comparisons to the flu I'm speaking of are those saying "well the flu affects this many people each year and this many people die and the world doesn't react this way so why the hysteria over coronavirus" - I'm not talking about actual symptoms. They both make you feel sick - conparisons should stop there.

Covid-19 is more contagious and has a higher mortality rate than common influenza; thus the statistical comparisons between the two is dangerous misinformation and it's definitely still happening. Idiots on Facebook didn't just suddenly stop sharing nonsense on, like, Tuesday.

My wife's friend is a doctor and shared this. Not sure what to think about it, but worth a read for those in the UK and you can of course come to your own conclusions.

Ha!

I have a bunch of people as well on their high horse saying that us plebs are down here stocking up on toilet paper and worrying are just stupid, basically. I'm not frantic, but I am kind of worried. I always buy groceries in bulk when I can, so I am stocked up on most things already. I could probably shut my house down for a few weeks at least. :)

On a related note, there's talk that with the shortage of long-lasting milk - like UHT, lacto free, soya, almond and all the others - that people are turning to formula milk. I hope people aren't twatish enough to be doing that, it's not made for adults and there are babies that need it!

Update: The UK has now banned all public gatherings.
I also saw that the US included the UK and Ireland in the travel ban now. As I suggested could happen when Landi-sama mentioned that they weren't added yet.

The comparisons to the flu I'm speaking of are those saying "well the flu affects this many people each year and this many people die and the world doesn't react this way so why the hysteria over coronavirus" - I'm not talking about actual symptoms. They both make you feel sick - conparisons should stop there.
It's not misinformation to state how many die because of the flu yearly (and the current peak). Researchers themselves compare both in articles. They wrote that Covid-19 seemed to be slightly less infectious but indeed more deadly. But they added that it would be easier to judge in a few weeks. It's namely possible that more infected will have recovered (or the reverse).
I didn't say that no one should pay attention though. Kind of the opposite, I wondered why the flu (+similar viruses) and precautions don't get some attention yearly. Even today, I still saw a store owner cough into a hand and then touch food...
Personally, I have hand sanitizer in the car, cough into my arm etc. and have done so for years. So I'm not one of those downplaying the whole thing. I just wondered why the media went from not giving a shit, to the polar opposite that we're seeing now. Acting like this could disrupt societies and economies after all.

Any thoughts on his perspective about acting based on worst case scenarios? I saw this one as a related article : https://www.theguardian.com/comment...hype-crisis-predictions-sars-swine-flu-panics

All public k-12 schools shut down in my state.

As are all park playgrounds.

Gatherings of 250 or more people in one place is banned.

Many colleges are extending spring break, or shut down and /or/ are doing online classses.

All part time students that work on campus are "temporarily laid off" and will be receiving no pay.

Grocery stores are always packed and having to restock.

Nowhere has hand sanitizer, masks, or toilet paper. Hand soap, disinfectent wipes, and paper towels are in low supply as well.

Even meat and pastas are being hoarded.

Last time I worked was last Sunday, I dunno if I will be going back or not since I am only a part timer but that day was the busiest I have ever been at work, which doesnt make sense as its fast food. Could barely find a spot to sit for lunch during my 30 minute break. People would NOT stop coming. And tbh doesnt look like its slowing down at all. All restaurants around here seem much more busy at times they are usually slow.

As for my personal health, since im with my almost 70yo father who has diabetes and a host of other major health issues I have been trying to self isolate as much as possible, washing my hands much more even though I had already been really good with that, sanitizing more often, making sure to use fresh towels, soaps, clothes, etc, doing laundry more often, just taking a lot of precautions as a whole.

But tbh im beginning to feel a bit fatigued and dizzy, and having bodu aches which ARE symptoms but I also sometimes have a runny nose, and nausea, and sneezing which are NOT, so I dunno.

Things are really stressful but I am not full in on panicing mode nor am I out hoarding shit.
Though I have to admit the fact that the virus can live up to 3 hours in the air in any one place, on cardboard for 24 hours and on steel for 72 hours is seriously making ms consider wearing gloves anytime I touch anything coming from outside the house.

But tbh im beginning to feel a bit fatigued and dizzy, and having bodu aches which ARE symptoms but I also sometimes have a runny nose, and nausea, and sneezing which are NOT, so I dunno.

Same. At the moment, I'm thinking it's just a combination of the constant bombardment of the issue and me being a hypochondriac, but yeah I have felt warm, tired and short of breath at times today. Also a bit of coughing. But probably just me worrying and over thinking.

I have a bunch of people as well on their high horse saying that us plebs are down here stocking up on toilet paper

What's the deal with toilet paper ? Why the first thing people think is shitting ? I understand buying food, meds, alcohol, but why they always go for toilet paper ?
I know not many cultures use bidets, but in the middle of a crisis I wouldn't really even think about toilet paper as one priority.

What's the deal with toilet paper ? Why the first thing people think is shitting ? I understand buying food, meds, alcohol, but why they always go for toilet paper ?
I know not many cultures use bidets, but in the middle of a crisis I wouldn't really even think about toilet paper as one priority.

It probably Started as a meme. Then snowballed when 10 people saw 2 people buying large amounts of toilet paper. Eventually ending up with the toilet paper shortage of 2020.

The area that I live in. When people think its going to snow. everyone rushes to the store and buys obscene amounts of sandwhich bread, Milk, and not much else. I'll Never forget seeing a person with 6 gallons of milk, ten loaves, and as they are checking out. Their toddler in the cart falls face first to the ground which could have been avoidable....

I haven't been to a store yet but I've seen pictures of local stores near me having nothing.

I hope everyones elders stays in good health.

It probably Started as a meme. Then snowballed when 10 people saw 2 people buying large amounts of toilet paper. Eventually ending up with the toilet paper shortage of 2020.

The area that I live in. When people think its going to snow. everyone rushes to the store and buys obscene amounts of sandwhich bread, Milk, and not much else. I'll Never forget seeing a person with 6 gallons of milk, ten loaves, and as they are checking out. Their toddler in the cart falls face first to the ground which could have been avoidable....

I haven't been to a store yet but I've seen pictures of local stores near me having nothing.

I hope everyones elders stays in good health.
That and maybe a few are thinking that in case of being told to stay inside their houses, they had better stock up. But the large majority are probably just overpanicking.

That and maybe a few are thinking that in case of being told to stay inside their houses, they had better stock up.
So true, at the same time people do forget about being a "community" in times of worry.
I went to the store after work to see it for myself. Plus i was informed we only had two rolls of toilet paper left. lol
It was interesting to see a different sections raided as others were left alone.
It was even more interesting to see that the rice and dried bean section was barely touched. Pasta-gone, Icecream-gone.
Canned food a decent selection left. But that will probably change tomorrow.

Last summer I had a virus with very corona-like symptoms re: fever with repeated uncontrollable coughing followed immediately by difficulty breathing. It was like my airways just shut down and for a few minutes each breath was a real struggle. I usually don't get sick, but I was genuinely scared for my life. In all, it lasted two or three weeks and then was gone.

The worst part was passing it on to my girlfriend - I have never felt like such a useless organism as I did in that moment when her cough was followed by a desperate wheezing breath as her airways closed up and I realised that I had done that to her.

Anyway, if that is anything like what people are going through now with this coronavirus, I feel bad for them. It was proper horrible and I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Last edited:
The UK is now on the verge of banning large gatherings and the US has now backtracked on the UK-exclusion flight ban.

Yeah it's complete madness. I really hope the old people get through this ok. We can only hope they all have their relatives and friends near by to help them out for shopping and supplies.

Johnson is expected to pass a self-quarantine law for over 70's within the next few weeks, or so I read.

I learned that a friend of mine has bought 100 toilet rolls the other day...

I panic quite easily and i'm terrified of dying, but for some reason I find keeping busy (games, films, books) and washing your hands a little longer than normal is helping. We have a meeting at work on Tuesday to discuss the possibility of working from home. It's so weird, I'm well aware of what is happening around me, but it doesn't feel *real* if that makes sense?

I get scared when I have an internal illness, because I can't *see* what's going on. I have a 6-inch second degree burn on my leg (accidentally standing in front of an open flame heater for 20 seconds at an outdoor party moments after nearly crashing my car skidding off the road...i'm not making this up!) and dealt with that quite well, yet when I get a cold, I panic.

The only thing that is worrying me at the moment is the thought of self isolation. I get cabin fever being in the same space for a long period of time (going for just a 10 minute walk seriously helps), so not sure i'll be too happy about it should it come. My job is very much peaks and troughs, so the thought of having to work at home with little to do isn't good. I live in a village, so my selfish thought is that I can go out for a short walk without bumping into anybody if things get too much.

My girlfriend lives in Japan and I haven't heard from her in 3 weeks. We're going through a tough spot in our relationship at the moment, so not hearing from her isn't helping. I pray she is OK with the virus over there too.

Sorry for the blabbing; just feels good to get it off my chest. I had a pint with my friends last night trying to put the world to rights and i'm pleased that although we're a little worried, we still have our heads together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back