Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in England, the government aren't doing anything. No cancelation of large gathers, no lockdowns, no mass testing. Heck, you can't even get tested unless you've been to one of the seriously affected countries or been in contact with a confirmed coronavirus person. They also are continuing to let people in from Italy, Iran and China at the airports without checking or screening them for the virus. The infected numbers continue to rise, the death is also rising. Madness.

Make some preparations people for you and your loved ones, and as always stay safe.

And for some reason this nation was excluded from Trump's big bad Europe travel ban that will accomplish nothing. It's almost like the UK and US are about to suffer dire consequences for drifting toward far right authoritarianism...

Selfish sarcasm: I am extremely happy I sent out my passport renewal a week ago (see you again one day, Mother Canada), and I am very grateful for saying to myself in January "I should hold onto my stock."

More important, of course, is the safety of others, but my philosophical stoicism is turning into egoism (may we not panic; this is exactly how these things get worse).

Here in England, the government aren't doing anything. No cancelation of large gathers, no lockdowns, no mass testing. Heck, you can't even get tested unless you've been to one of the seriously affected countries or been in contact with a confirmed coronavirus person. They also are continuing to let people in from Italy, Iran and China at the airports without checking or screening them for the virus. The infected numbers continue to rise, the death is also rising. Madness.

Make some preparations people for you and your loved ones, and as always stay safe.
Also they are not stopping any large gatherings such as football matches. Any cancellations have been down to the teams and the governing bodies. With that said, we have moved to stage two so school closures and such are likely to be implemented. My wife's company are also finally letting the team work from home.

I would be interested in hearing about the details of the deaths in Italy. Each death in the UK so far when reported has always been followed with there person was old and had other serious conditions at the time.

In Italy is the same, the median age of deceased people is around 76. The virus is for now relatively tame for healthy younger people but people from 60s and upper is quite dangerous.

The main issues with the virus is that we currently do not have vaccines like we have for the flu, it is highly infectious and, at least here in Spain, we had the hospitals quite unprepared to take all the cases that require medical assistance causing quite a lot of problems for the health system.

Correct; here in NA, everyone who has been reported as dying from it, have been 77, 87, 85, 74, etc.

If you're a healthy person under the age of 65, it'll be like a slightly more-aggressive flu. That's it.

But it can still be transmitted.

Mass hysteria for a virus that is NOT unlike the common cold/flu and actually has a lower mortality rate than the aforementioned 2 (for now, anyways) in developed countries, that have healthy adults and proper healthcare services.

Same thing with SARS in 2003 and Swine Flu in 2008 or whatever; just live your life normally and limit your public event exposure a bit, WASH YOUR HANDS LIKE YOU SHOULD DO EVERY DAY OF YOUR LIFE and you'll be fine.

I actually kinda want to get it/wouldn't be opposed, so that my body can build up an immunity of sorts, just in case of a reprisal (my immune system is insanely-good).
I also talked about that today. It would be good if people and the media paid a bit of attention to washing hands and the impact of the yearly flu in general. Not just now with this new virus. Every year millions get severely ill and hundreds of thousands die without any news about it. The last few years, a few EU countries had up to 80% infected people and no one cared. People just go to work sick because it's kind of expected that "a little cold won't stop them from working".

And for some reason this nation was excluded from Trump's big bad Europe travel ban that will accomplish nothing. It's almost like the UK and US are about to suffer dire consequences for drifting toward far right authoritarianism...
Why assume malice? Researchers are the main people looking at the situation and offering advice. The case in Italy is worse than in the UK right now and they infected a large amount of countries, so a general EU-ban can help and might be expanded to include the UK later. The Czech republic also closed their borders now and others check travelers.
I wonder how this ties in to far right authoritarianism though? A lot of his views aren't really far right, like sending home troops, improving the prison system/creating a second chances program, support for Black colleges etc. so I don't get the political angle?

The main issues with the virus is that we currently do not have vaccines like we have for the flu, it is highly infectious and, at least here in Spain, we had the hospitals quite unprepared to take all the cases that require medical assistance causing quite a lot of problems for the health system.
The latest data that I've seen showed that it was slightly less infectious at the moment than the regular flu. On the other hand, at this moment the regular flu is having a peak in several countries and has up until now killed many more than Covid-19. It also caused quite a few deaths among young people according to the data. This is despite the fact that there are vaccines available.

I also talked about that today. It would be good if people and the media paid a bit of attention to washing hands and the impact of the yearly flu in general. Not just now with this new virus. Every year millions get severely ill and hundreds of thousands die without any news about it. The last few years, a few EU countries had up to 80% infected people and no one cared. People just go to work sick because it's kind of expected that "a little cold won't stop them from working".

Why assume malice? Researchers are the main people looking at the situation and offering advice. The case in Italy is worse than in the UK right now and they infected a large amount of countries, so a general EU-ban can help and might be expanded to include the UK later. The Czech republic also closed their borders now and others check travelers.
I wonder how this ties in to far right authoritarianism though? A lot of his views aren't really far right, like sending home troops, improving the prison system/creating a second chances program, support for Black colleges etc. so I don't get the political angle?

The latest data that I've seen showed that it was slightly less infectious at the moment than the regular flu. On the other hand, at this moment the regular flu is having a peak in several countries and has up until now killed many more than Covid-19. It also caused quite a few deaths among young people according to the data. This is despite the fact that there are vaccines available.
Yeah, flu kills a lot of people each year but as far as I know currently coronavirus death rate is around 2.5% compared to the usual seasonal flu which I believe is under 1%.
Media probably overblow the story quite a bit but the current situation for doctors in Madrid is absolutely not fun. Not enough personnel nor beds to cover all the extreme cases so it is understandable that the government want to stop the outbreak.

What will be interesting is the UK that at the moment are not doing much. And like the flu, coronavirus is dangerous for the diabetics which amounts around 10% the population.

I guess this pandemic will be an interesting case study for sociologists.

It's fucking insane. I'm actually kinda scared. They want to build up "herd immunity", which apparently medical experts and scientists aren't even sure will work, and they want to 'flatten the curve', to not overwhelm the hospitals and public services (incidentally that they have been starving of funding and resources for the last decade), but I can't fathom how they think that will work by just telling people with even minor cold like symptoms to stay inside for 7 days (the recommendation by WHO is actually for 14 days, but for some reason the Government went for 7 days). Public events are still going on, people aren't being told to work from home (well we're not in my work), schools are still open.

The thing is the vulnerable and elderly will be hit hard from this. The risk of isolation is real. They're not testing people and they're telling you to not even ring 111 unless you're literally dying. What will those do who have no one? Those who are are isolated already, are elderly and can't buy anything from the supermarkets because the shelves are bare? And they end up isolated, alone and suffering with the virus. Hell, can you phone up Tesco to order delivery? A lot of older people here aren't neccessarily computer or smartphone users who know how to order shopping.

It's fucking insane. I'm actually kinda scared. They want to build up "herd immunity", which apparently medical experts and scientists aren't even sure will work, and they want to 'flatten the curve', to not overwhelm the hospitals and public services (incidentally that they have been starving of funding and resources for the last decade), but I can't fathom how they think that will work by just telling people with even minor cold like symptoms to stay inside for 7 days (the recommendation by WHO is actually for 14 days, but for some reason the Government went for 7 days). Public events are still going on, people aren't being told to work from home (well we're not in my work), schools are still open.

The thing is the vulnerable and elderly will be hit hard from this. The risk of isolation is real. They're not testing people and they're telling you to not even ring 111 unless you're literally dying. What will those do who have no one? Those who are are isolated already, are elderly and can't buy anything from the supermarkets because the shelves are bare? And they end up isolated, alone and suffering with the virus. Hell, can you phone up Tesco to order delivery? A lot of older people here aren't neccessarily computer or smartphone users who know how to order shopping.

Yeah it's complete madness. I really hope the old people get through this ok. We can only hope they all have their relatives and friends near by to help them out for shopping and supplies.

This coronavirus is more infectious and more deadly than the flu. These comparisons are dangerous and the spreading of misinformation needs to stop.

100% this. The mortality rate IS higher. This is just the beginning and there is no vaccine and no cure. They estimate it could be 10-15% worse than even severe flu. Comparisons are unhelpful. As are dumb ass analogies like "you're more likely to die of a snake bite" made by people who don't understand risk factors for health statistics.

This is how things have been going in Japan for the last few months.

My job brings me into contact with 100’s of people every week (many of whom are elderly) and so when I began exhibiting symptoms consistent with the coronavirus last month, I went to a clinic to be tested. Their ‘test’ consisted of asking me whether or not I’d been to China recently. They were happy to test for flu (which I didn’t have), but straight up refused to test me for coronavirus because, as far as they were concerned, it wasn’t possible for a person to become infected without having visiting China.

When I told my company that I wanted to self-isolate (as per the advice of the government), they told me that unless I could provide a doctor’s note; as well as not being paid for the time that I missed, I’d also have my wages docked by 17% for authorized absence.

Here in England, the government aren't doing anything.

not a human virus but a few years ago there was tree virus called ash dieback. it was distroying trees across Europe and scientists were warning and pleading with the british Government to stop of the import of certain plants/trees, so the uk wouldt get the virus. what did the Government do? nothing. now ancient forests have been completely destroyed. they have never cared.

the only Country which seem to do it right is Australia.

For me, this is the main problem, especially when it comes to the panic buying. Actually, based on this post I'm going to let my elderly neighbours know if they want anything just to let me know.

Personally, I have no concerns for myself and I think the general population needs to calm down. The media and messaging from the government needs to focus on who it's actually affecting (elderly and vulnerable) and the consequences of panic buying.

My local Tesco closed at 10pm (24 hour store) because they were overwhelmed. At the till they are stopping people from buying certain items multiple times; one packet of pasta, toiled roll and even Soya milk is limited.

For me, this is the main problem, especially when it comes to the panic buying. Actually, based on this post I'm going to let my elderly neighbours know if they want anything just to let me know.

Personally, I have no concerns for myself and I think the general population needs to calm down. The media and messaging from the government needs to focus on who it's actually affecting (elderly and vulnerable) and the consequences of panic buying.

My local Tesco closed at 10pm (24 hour store) because they were overwhelmed. At the till they are stopping people from buying certain items multiple times; one packet of pasta, toiled roll and even Soya milk is limited.

Absolutely. I have no concern for myself, but I am concerned for my wider family and the older and more vulnerable members of society.

I've been to the supermarket a few times in the last week and it's got ridiculous. There was no toilet paper on the shelves, no paracetamol or ibuprofen, frozen aisles had been decimated. And on a related note, my wife tried ordering the shopping online for click and collect or to have it delivered and there were just no slots until next week. I have no idea how they're going to cope with demand when most of the population end up self-isolating or we're all on lockdown.

This coronavirus is more infectious

False, as proven by WHO.

This coronavirus is more deadly than the flu.

True, as confirmed by WHO.

These comparisons are dangerous and the spreading of misinformation needs to stop.

Funny, the only misinformation I'm seeing has to do with the virus itself and NOT through comparisons to the flu; people in NA are seeing and recognizing this as so.

It is FLU-LIKE, but it isn't the flu.

not a human virus but a few years ago there was tree virus called ash dieback. it was distroying trees across Europe and scientists were warning and pleading with the british Government to stop of the import of certain plants/trees, so the uk wouldt get the virus. what did the Government do? nothing. now ancient forests have been completely destroyed. they have never cared.

the only Country which seem to do it right is Australia.
And Canada ;)

False, as proven by WHO.

True, as confirmed by WHO.

Funny, the only misinformation I'm seeing has to do with the virus itself and NOT through comparisons to the flu; people in NA are seeing and recognizing this as so.

It is FLU-LIKE, but it isn't the flu.

Coronavirus is more contagious than the flu.

Making false comparisons to the flu and spouting them online is spreading misinformation- no idea what the last point you were trying to make really is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back