Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This situation also puts into context how fortunate we are in the UK. NHS aside, we hardly have to deal with anything like this and pretty much never have to deal with anything like this on a national scale. There are places that quite regularly have to deal with flooding but that's it. Italy has earthquakes, Spain heatwaves and America has extreme weather.

We will be better prepared and the nation should be more considerate if there is a next time.

In this whole situation, of course not knowing how bad it will be or ends up being, I do think the media created/contributed to this panic.

Had they said from the off don't panic buy, plenty of food is around etc I wonder if it would have helped. It was only after shops ran out did anyone jump on it.

In this whole situation, of course not knowing how bad it will be or ends up being, I do think the media created/contributed to this panic.

Had they said from the off don't panic buy, plenty of food is around etc I wonder if it would have helped. It was only after shops ran out did anyone jump on it.

As of tonight, Sydney Australia has entered shut down of all non essential services. I looked on Facebook an hour ago and saw a headline stating "Sydney Locked Down for 6 months."

Yet if you actually READ the article instead of looking at the headline, it says "the coronavirus pandemic could potentially last for 6 months or more."

Quite a difference from the eye catching headline, ain't it?

Yet in this day and age, the headline is all that matters and that headline is misleading as shit...and then the media wonders "why people are panic buying?"

Gee, I wonder why?

This shit is bad all around, but the media really has made it worse than I think it needed to be. Taking precautions, closing borders and locking down are necessary where need be, but yeah, the media has sensationalised it and led to further panic. Still, I feel for anyone who is losing their job right now. Times are rough at the moment.

Last edited:
Don't turn this into a politics thread/discussion or the thread will be locked.

To be fair to @Reprise, this has definitely become more of a political issue than medical due to the affect it's having on society. But I get it, no "side taking".

What I'm not quite getting my head around is how the hell any of this is gonna work in the long term. I believe someone from the WHO estimated an 18 month turnaround for a vaccine. Surely most of our respective countries cannot last that long with such heavy restrictions?

I can only see it going one of two ways: Governments somehow resort to full-on lock downs, crippling themselves in the process; or they basically give up after a couple of months and allow things to return to normal.

For all the good we can do by following the guidelines of social distancing and isolation, the longer term implications - mainly in an economic sense - are potentially devastating. I understand the need to protect those who are vulnerable to COVID-19, but we could be inadvertently lowering overall quality of life significantly across the working/lower class.

Personally, my life has simply been inconvenienced atm. Public transport cutbacks is a pain in the arse, no pubs or football (or gigs for that matter) is a bit shit, but overall there's not much to complain about. Hell, quite the contrary, I've even been given a temporary pay rise for the next month. I think though of the likes of my uncle who has to self isolate for months due to a long term condition he has. Being self-employed, this could absolutely wreck him, and there are plenty in the same boat.

Honestly, the only way I can see this working is if the government goes full totalitarian on this shit, as we all know that not everyone is gonna follow the guidelines. This won't sit well with people though and could possibly make things worse.

Looking forward to being able to quote myself and posting a Dr Cox Wrong Song video, but at the moment, I just can't see how we can stick this out. It's like being at war with thin air.

Likewise on the social media thing, I just don't like it when people insult others. That's my thing!

a bit random but bbc news was talking about the coronavirus, lockdown in California and were showing some scenes from the nearly empty streets and they showed a close up of this girl/woman slumped over.

is it my imagination or is this a drug addict? :censored: looks like a needle next to her leg.

Attachments

• B1C75359-0327-4A07-B82A-F18856954295.jpeg
    B1C75359-0327-4A07-B82A-F18856954295.jpeg
    930.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 154EA521-D17F-457E-B622-905A27A47E98.jpeg
    154EA521-D17F-457E-B622-905A27A47E98.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 16
a bit random but bbc news was talking about the coronavirus, lockdown in California and were showing some scenes from the nearly empty streets and they showed a close up of this girl/woman slumped over.

is it my imagination or is this a drug addict? :censored: looks like a needle next to her leg.
That or Hatsune Miku has really let herself go.

Interesting news story today showing cramped trained and people not following the advice to stay at home or even social distancing. Not too long ago, the same BBC news was showing how "empty" London was and the street near-deserted. Obviously then they probably were filming London at 6 in the morning to give the impression that it was deserted. But now the topic has switched to people being told to stay at home, suddenly their news articles are showing the place being crammed.

The virus is very serious no doubt, but medical advances are happening at a decent rate which should produce treatment drugs, a vaccine, or both, to try and curb the mortality rate down closer to the regular flu.

I'm far more worried about the lasting effects of the oncoming recession. In my country (Canada) half a million people filed for unemployment this week alone. This is just the beginning as well. Far more people will impacted financially than by being sick and with longer term effects.

My hope is that this passes as quickly as possible, and we can return to the insanity we call normal.

We'll be fine. The people down south, however...

Interesting news story today showing cramped trained and people not following the advice to stay at home or even social distancing. Not too long ago, the same BBC news was showing how "empty" London was and the street near-deserted. Obviously then they probably were filming London at 6 in the morning to give the impression that it was deserted. But now the topic has switched to people being told to stay at home, suddenly their news articles are showing the place being crammed.

To be fair, my family and I have seen it for ourselves. The sun did come out and there's talk of a full lockdown... My parents live by a popular place for people to go for walks and stuff and my dad out jogging noticed it was absolutely packed yesterday morning (don't worry, he kept well away).

We saw it today when taking the wife to a medical appointment. People out playing tennis and groups of people wondering about like nothings happening.

Interestingly how are people staying active, safely of course in these times?

I'm still boxing, 10-20 minutes a day (depending on whether or not it's a fast day; I fast for 20-24 hours multiple times per week, in an effort to keep calories out of my body and stay out of the washroom lol; I feel GREAT the day after fasting, every day) and my wife and I are going out for walks every day (20 minutes or so) with our dog, just to get some fresh air and a bit more exercise.

If I wasn't working from home, I'd walk to work and back again, but that can't happen now (50 minutes, about 4.7 km each way).

Thinking of taking advantage of the few weights and the 2 flights of stairs in my house, as well ;)

For UK people, the Prime Minister will be addressing the nation at 8:30pm.

Full lockdown incoming...

• Sad
Reactions: red
Sounds like a full lockdown is the only way. But even in California where that's been implemented there were people out on beaches and parks. It's one thing to take a walk and maintain some common-sense distancing, but the sheer amount of people not taking this seriously will have terrible repercussions for themselves and those of us that are. Quite infuriating.

Reactions: red
I'm quite lucky in that I live in a quiet village, so i've been able to go for a jog at lunchtime and not see a soul. I feel guilty, but i'm really struggling with staying indoors when I can barely get any work done.

Our network is so crippingly slow having over 3500 people trying to access it from home, I think I managed to do about 3 hours work last week when i'm contracted for 37. Good grief!

We'll be fine. The people down south, however...
I'm not sure we'll be completely fine. I mean in the long run we will recover of course, but over the next year or so a lot of people may be impacted. I was planning to get married this year but those plans may now have to change.
The longer it goes on the worse it will be as well.

As for the US, they'll definitely be in for a rougher ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back