Decision Time! PS4 or PC Version? (KickStarter)

So, Fangamers questionnaire ends tomorrow and I find myself asking do I want to got for 2 PS4 Physical Editions or get the PC version?

I'm already getting a few other PS4 copies within my Retail C.E.'s & I don't generally have a Gaming PC set-up but might be nice for a Collector's item... Also, if the news about getting an additional copy on Steam 1 year later is true (Is it?) That might be quite appealing in the long run...

But curious about your thoughts as the time dwindles down towards our final decisions

Last edited:
I have pre-ordered the PS4 digital deluxe edition, but after buying an RTX 2070 and seeing it in native 4K, I will have to pre-order it for the PC at the end of the month. My Pro will hit those stats, and no doubts will be capped at 30fps. Whilst I agree that its a console game, all that really matters to me is what controller I use, and to be honest I hate the PS4 controller. A console is just a convenient PC anyways, so whatever hardware it takes to really show what this game is made of, I will go with.

I have pre-ordered the PS4 digital deluxe edition, but after buying an RTX 2070 and seeing it in native 4K, I will have to pre-order it for the PC at the end of the month. My Pro will hit those stats, and no doubts will be capped at 30fps. Whilst I agree that its a console game, all that really matters to me is what controller I use, and to be honest I hate the PS4 controller. A console is just a convenient PC anyways, so whatever hardware it takes to really show what this game is made of, I will go with.
I've changed my digital copy to PC as I've really enjoyed playing on there.

My first play will be on ps4 and then pc with various mods etc.

PC. The demo ran great for me (1080p 60-90fps, max settings) and there'll be mods to mess around with.

I also bought one of the 5000 limited run editions for PS4.

Last edited:
PS4 (Pro).
I just hope they are aiming for 1080p (or 1440 on Pro) at high settings / 30 fps.
I will be pretty disappointed if they are trying some funky dynamic 720p -1080p resolution thing
with medium settings to hit 60 fps because it will look terrible. Even worse if its not dynamic resolution,
because it will never ever run with stable 60 fps in those city areas. It will constantly change between 30 and 60,
up down up down up down up down.
If you can read this mister Suzuki, please make it 1080p / 30 fps.

PC for me. I'll be very interested to see what the modding community can do. Also, I don't have a PS4. I already have a bunch of other consoles (all Sega consoles, all Xboxen, a 3DS, and a backwards-compatible PS3) and I just finally reach console capacity... it's more overwhelming than fun, especially since consoles and games these days need to be updated so frequently.

I went PS4 for the Kickstarter version because I’ve already pre ordered a Digital PC copy from EGS, but to be honest? After seeing it run at a buttery smooth 60fps on my PC (playing on 1080p TV with V sync turned on), I think I might do my initial run on PC just for that frame rate.

That high frame rate is so buttery smooth and I loved it. Would be hard to go back to potential 30 on PS4

Have we actually seen any PS4 footage yet? the game is so well optimized for PC, what's to say the console version will be capped at 30?

I found this interview with YS from all the way back in 2015 where he says they were targeting 30, but back then, the PS4 Pro wasn't even a thing, and the game has been expanded and polished significantly since...

G: What frame rate are you aiming for on PS4?

YS:
For the moment, I’m thinking about 30 frames per second. 60 might be too difficult, but I’m not sure yet.

Have we actually seen any PS4 footage yet? the game is so well optimized for PC, what's to say the console version will be capped at 30?

I found this interview with YS from all the way back in 2015 where he says they were targeting 30, but back then, the PS4 Pro wasn't even a thing, and the game has been expanded and polished significantly since...

YS:
For the moment, I’m thinking about 30 frames per second. 60 might be too difficult, but I’m not sure yet.
It 'might be too difficult' because of the weak CPUs on the consoles, but I'd expect great image quality from the Pro at least.

Last edited:
I bought a (launch) PS4 2 years ago for the express purpose of playing 'mue III (and as a place to play the Yakuza games), so I'll stick with that.

Maybe I'll get a PC version in a few years, when I've gotten a better laptop.

I've gone kickstarter physical and literally just bought the digital deluxe for PS4.

Shopto.net currently doing cheaper psn credit so I managed to get 70 quid worth for just less than 60 in real money thanks to the deals.

YS:

There are almost no modern open world games on Xbox One or PS4 (even Pro)
that can handle 60 fps. Games like Red Dead Redemption 2 even struggle with 30 fps
because the hardware is at 100% pretty much all the time and it just needs one small intense scene to tank the framerate.
Same for Witcher 3 for example, there are framerate drops below 30 fps even in 1080p mode on the Pro.
GTA 5 and Horizon Zero Dawn are 30 fps games too and they have framedrops.
The only game that i can remember right now that had pretty much locked 60 fps
was Metal Gear Solid 5 but the open world is not the same as in RDR 2, or HZD or Shenmue.
There are only seperate enemy bases with footsoldiers, thats not such a big problem.

I watched a couple of backer trial demo streams on Twitch and there were dozens of people
where you could see that their PC was not capable of maintaining stable 60 fps in the middle of that small village.
(very high, 1080p)
Now imagine how much worse it will be in the real city with way more NPCs and shops + the limitations of consoles.
If they dont cap it at 30 fps, there is a very very very very high chance that it will constantly
change between smooth and not smooth because the framerate will be all over the place.
60 fps outside in the nature, 45 fps in small villages, 30 fps in busy areas
and it will also probably change with every camera angle. This can be suuuuuuuper annoying
because the average framerate will be somewhere between 30 and 60,
up down, up down, up down, up down and thats not smooth, thats rough.
If you cant hit 100% stable 60 fps, its better to just cap it at 30 because then you have a locked average number
and you have a bit of hardware headroom so that even very intense scenes wont tank the framerate.

I do wonder though. Yu is known for pushing hardware, remember the whole Golden Quarter running in slow motion on Dreamcast as the frame rate was tied to the game logic.

On the other hand, Virtua Fighter 2 on the Saturn is pure wizardry. 60FPS and running in the barely seen Hi Res mode.

Yakuza Zero runs a smooth 60 with lots of NPCs and buildings though admittedly it's a PS3 game in disguise.

Guess we'll find out soon enough!

I’m hoping for at least 60 on the PS4 Pro. We have seen some PS4 footage. The E3 B roll looked to be PS4 and it looked to be running 30 in that footage. But that could also have been 60 captured at 30...no one knows for sure.

but I presume it will be 30 on PS4...still, holding out hope for 60 on the Pro at least though.

I do wonder though. Yu is known for pushing hardware, remember the whole Golden Quarter running in slow motion on Dreamcast as the frame rate was tied to the game logic.

Golden Qr never ran slow mo. Pigeon Fountain and the Golden Mall while next to the fire show are the only two parts to legit buckle frames below even what I consider palatable. Nevertheless, lke all Shenmue slow down, it is easily averted by simply using the trigger to walk and stick to look about, which is my favorite part of Shenmue anyway--gazing around upon the nature and architecture.

Back