Discovering New Things? Small Details You've Noticed This Time Around?

Henry Spencer

I'm not a monster, it's only a mask.
PSN
harryangel666
XBL
Magiking
On this replay, is there any details you noticed that were new to you? Just had one for me where I talk to Wang from Ajiichi (the waiter) as he gets off his bike after 11PM and pretty sure this is new dialogue to me where he goes "hey, it's bedtime now, you know?" and Ryo says something like "not yet" and Wang replies "I'm going home now anyway, goodnight". Just not the sort of dialogue I thought I'd hear from Wang, at all.

It's amazing to me that there's so much incidental dialogue that you can come across that you never discovered before like that. Just blows my mind, these games are so packed with these small details.

How about for any of the rest of you? Anyone see any new scenes or anything happen they think is new to them?

Just started playing the first game again, last night.

It's been many years since I last played the games, but I especially recall instances where NPC's give unique dialogue/clues to certain questions from Ryo. Even last night, little snippets like the taxi driver saying he would ask his customers about the black car/black suits. Certain characters have more to say when asked a second, or even third time.

I love how these games give you a different experience each time. There's literally tons of dialogue that's hidden deep within its core. Great effort from the devs, all those years ago.

I'm noticing small details for the first time... because assets from the beta version of Shenmue appear to have ended up in the HD remaster. For example, there's a sign for the bar "Desert Nevada" around Dobuita that I swear was not in the retail DC version... but a quick Google search reveals that assets for it are present in the "What's Shenmue" disc files and it appeared in pre-release VHS footage.

So I got the call from Chai telling me the Mad Angels have Nozomi hostage and that I have 3 hours to get to warehouse #17. I know I need to borrow Naoyuki's motorbike but instead of showing up unannounced like usual I decided to call the Ito residence ahead of time for a change.

I found it pretty funny that Nozomi is in a potentially life or death situation but Ryo decides against interrupting Naoyuki's bathtime and offers to call back later.

Knocking on the door of Heartbeats multiple times after getting kicked out results in some funny dialogue.

Sketchy guy in Worker's Pier offering advice on how to get my bag back in exchange for $100HK (or holding on to my passport for me until I can pay)

Go into Tomato at the Harbour whilst searching for Mai. The bimbo behind the counter starts talking about Japanese men and their schoolgirl fantasies ?

In Shenmue 1, I paid for the boat ticket and was told to come back in 4 hours but because I was taking my time it was already after 4pm when the girl said that. I went back at 7, nobody there yet. So I went back at 8, but they were closed. Went home and got a cutscene I hadn't seen before, where Ryo talks to Fuku-San about getting a boat ticket and Fuku-san should watch over the Dojo for him.

Opposite for me in I've rushed my first play and finished it by Dec 20th.

Feel bad for it as you miss so much stuff this way

This was the first time I have ever met with Master Mo after cleaning the books where he asked me to show him some of my moves and taught me one. Never had that on any other attempt or playthrough before.

This is one of the things I love about these two games, there is always something new for each playthrough no matter how many times you play it.

Honestly don't know if it's stuff I never seen before or just forgot about during the decade since playing ? The funny dialogues are the best! Forgot all about "you're a minor" and some of the dreary replies from people "I'm so tired", it really sets the mood. Also appreciating Ryo's dead blank replies to anything everywhere. Never tried the fortune teller much before, so that feels new and slightly fantasy-ish. I actually love the glitch where she disappears and all you get is the images and dialogue, it's very in-character.

Also appreciating how emotionally involved you get in every thing, like how happy I feel when Megumi is over the moon about anything kitty, or how down and begrumbled I ended up feeling realizing (again) that the xxxxx was a scam, poor Fuku-San! This game is fantastic.

It felt so frustrating playing on 25th December and Ryo not saying Merry Christmas to anyone, neither watching a special cutscene regarding the date. The Shenmue world seemed a little bland, despite Dobuita being all decorated, with a Santa Claus strolling there all the time.

It felt so frustrating playing on 25th December and Ryo not saying Merry Christmas to anyone, neither watching a special cutscene regarding the date. The Shenmue world seemed a little bland, despite Dobuita being all decorated, with a Santa Claus strolling there all the time.
Do Japanese people even wish each other a merry christmas? As far as I know they just enjoy the aesthetic of it.

Do Japanese people even wish each other a merry christmas? As far as I know they just enjoy the aesthetic of it.

I heard everyone eats KFC on Christmas Day?

Anyway. I didn't know you could use the lever on the slot machines until my most recent playthrough of Shenmue I.

Guess you're right, since the vast majority of Japan population isn't Christian... the date doesn't have the same meaning as for people in the West

So I had no idea you could work for more than 5 days (not including the very first half day of work) in Shenmue 1. For 19 damn years I thought the story was meant to progress because it would never let me go to the bus back to Dobuita after work. Sure enough, on the first full day of work I forgot to go to warehouse 17 and just trained on my moves for about 4 game hours unintentionally, went home and slept without remembering that I never got home in the past because I didn't know you could go home after 8pm.

Only realized something was amiss when they had me do the same exact route as the prior day. Was this something everyone else knew and I was too dumb to not notice it?

Only realized something was amiss when they had me do the same exact route as the prior day. Was this something everyone else knew and I was too dumb to not notice it?
A lot of people get stuck on the second (I think) day of work because there's two sides to approach Warehouse #3 (again I think) and only one of them will trigger a cutscene which progresses the story so it's probably not that uncommon.

Back