Dojo Cooking Thread

Interesting thread! 🍽️
Me myself isn't exactly a master at cooking. But I definitely like love to cook. Especially simple, but tasty meals with the right balance of seasonings. I like vegetarian, vegan, fresh smoothies and all that stuff, but I love meat. At some point in my life I will try out the Wagyu beef if I get the chance to buy a small piece.

I will try it next time I am there. If you try anything outside of Japan, I'd be cautious though. Even if it is expensive, it may not be what you think it is or was told. Mixed with regular meat or such small quantities to even make it seem worth it or straight up lies. If it does not say 100% wagyu or uses the word "like" or the manager can not confirm it's authenticity, I'd be skeptical. Only so much is allowed to be sold outside of Japan.

Interesting thread! 🍽️
Me myself isn't exactly a master at cooking. But I definitely like love to cook. Especially simple, but tasty meals with the right balance of seasonings. I like vegetarian, vegan, fresh smoothies and all that stuff, but I love meat. At some point in my life I will try out the Wagyu beef if I get the chance to buy a small piece.

I had Kobe Beef for lunch, IN Kobe, when I was there in 2016 (apparently, this place was not the greatest either; sure fooled me!)

13988089_10154406051639648_7293827186551273846_o.jpg

13913562_10154406052289648_6080157431297103028_o.jpg

Now, this is the 2nd best meal of my life (at the time, the best meal of my life, but it changed 2 weeks later when I had Omakase in Tokyo <3), so I would agree with Jerrid in that yes, accept no substitutes; "Wagyu," isn't even going to always be good-quality stuff: it generally refers to the marbling of the meat being similar to Japanese beef.

I made Pumpkin Tortelli again on the weekend from scratch (as mentioned in the first post of the thread, it is a Manotvan dish, just southeast of where my parents are from in Milano. The "secret," ingredient is using crushed amaretto cookies) and made fresh Fettuccini as well, on Wednesday:

2020-10-11.jpg

2020-11-04.jpg

Did a butter-sage sauce for the Tortelli and just a straight tomato sauce for the Fettuccini (which, while it tasted good, came out not-well, as the tomatoes used sucked :().

For someone who's sick of pasta, I'm really-enjoying making fresh stuff! :D

Unless I am just absolutely strapped for time or tomatoes are too expensive, I will just make the sauce from scratch myself. I will keep canned or bottled (preferably) in reserve just in case I have bad planning or the aforementioned expensive tomatoes and I just have that craving. They say if you put the jar of tomato sauce upside in the fridge, it lasts much longer. The sauce will gather around the lid and prevent air and I guess bacteria from entering and or forming. Seems to work for me.

Well ladies and gentlemen it has come to my attention, that some rice cookers may not be so healthy to use. I just discovered that the rice cooker I had somewhat recently purchased (Aroma 8 Cup Rice Multicooker), had a "Warning: Cancer and Reproductive Harm". You might be asking, "but didn't you read that on the outside of the box before purchasing it or in the instruction manual or on a special pamphlet upon opening it or somewhere on the cooker itself?" Nope. I found the warning on the inside flap of the box in small lettering tonight actually. A pretty inconspicuous spot in my opinion. And the tiny yellow triangle hardly contrasted the white background. o_0

Used and well past the thirty days for a return, I have few options but keeping or throwing away a rice cooker I will no longer be using. Not a lot of money lost thankfully, but some none the less. And again it has been used about twenty or thirty times. Some of you may not take those warnings seriously. For all I know it could be a simple screw or spring some where in the mechanism that has nothing to do with hardly anything and safely tucked away and shielded from the food it self. And if it was not for actually cooking the very food I and others eat, I would not be too concerned either. But the damn thing steams the food for crying out loud.

I purposely wont buy products that have that label and in no way, shape or form should any cooking, eating or drinking items have something in them that would even need that label be placed on them to begin with. Take this announcement with a grain of salt. Just giving you a heads up. I'm going back to the stove top.

I only make rice on stovetop, in pots; hundreds of years of European, Indian, Mexican and Oriental cooks can't be wrong!

I only make rice on stovetop, in pots; hundreds of years of European, Indian, Mexican and Oriental cooks can't be wrong!
The thicker the pot the better, at least have a thick bottomed pot if nothing else. Funny thing is I had just started to know how to properly cook rice on the stove top. But I watched quite a few videos touting rice cookers and I thought, sure why not. Plenty of Asians use them now. But I digress. As I said I am going back to the stove top. And as you pointed out, people still use the stove top or in some cases ovens or fire places, etc.

And since I am on the topic of dangers in cooking, I will share some more knowledge. Rice carries a decent amount of arsenic, more so than a lot of other foods. Brown rice even more, because it keeps most of it's "jacket" so the arsenic has more to cling to and hide in. You also can not wash it away. That is not to say washing does not help at least some, but it simply will not remove the arsenic as a whole. Cooking also has little to no effect depending on the technique used. But the more you wash or cook, so to you lose the good minerals and vitamins. But arsenic is found naturally in other things too. And on the whole, even on rice is not that bad depending where you get it from.

But rice grown in certain parts of the world, either by natural or man made accidents or events, arsenic levels can double or triple the normal average. Rice grown in America has some of the highest. The old slave states used to use an arsenic pesticide on the cotton fields. Well the arsenic stayed in the soil and cotton was replaced with rice. Now it is thought that over time the arsenic will go away or at least lower in the amount. But the farmers and the government is not waiting and selling that arsenic laden rice to the public.

It is much higher than the world average. And the problem with this rice is how it is labeled. "Grown" or "Made in America". That means you have no idea where in the US your rice is coming from. You could have a highly toxic bag of rice from Texas or one of the other former slave states or you could have none or you could have a mixed bag. You simply do not know. I know California now labels their own rice from their state, to help alleviate that concern so you know exactly where it is coming from.

Arsenic in baby food... o_0

If you don't believe YouTube, there are plenty of articles online. But since I do not click on foreign links that others post on forums, I wont post them here for others to click on. But they are all over the place if you search for them. I am not saying you can not eat rice. I eat rice. I am just saying be careful what and from where and who grew the rice. Don't be tempted by that $1 bag because it is cheap and it is grown in America. If you eat a lot of rice anyway, buying a 25 lbs bag for like $18 is much cheaper and depending where it is from, much safer as well.

Last edited:
Wow, had absolutely 0 clue about that... I will check my rice at home, but I know I usually buy premium brands from outside of NA (Arborio grown in Italy, for example), because I will make rice maybe once every other week.

I was trying to do what the Japanese do and eat it every day, even with every meal, but I simply can not do that. I'd much rather have a varied diet, which in their defense, the Japanese when eating traditional styled meals, do have a variety of food at one time, just rice is always or normally the staple. But I do not have time nor the will power to make so many tiny dishes that takes quite a while for each, just for one meal. Even advance prepping for something like that is too much trouble.

Regardless now I eat rice about twice a week. And I buy mine in large bags from Thailand. Buying rice from Japan if you can find it is expensive. Even buying "Japanese" styled rice from California can be a bit expensive. And do not be fooled by the packaging. They make it look like it came straight out of Japan with all the Japanese text and art. You have to read where it was grown. Again California rice is about the world wide average for being safe, but just do not buy it thinking you are buying rice grown in Japan, because you are not.

I will say however, that the US is not the only ones who try to sweep things under the rug. After the tsunami and nuclear reactor incident several years ago, in order to get Fukushima prefecture back on it's feet, the government decided to have them start growing and selling rice even though they are still high in toxicity, although the government claimed it was a safe allowable amount. I have not been able to find the same video since, but there are a few out there.

Basically they were going to package the rice as "Grown in Japan" and not stipulate exactly where it is grown. Whether it would of been full bags of rice from there or mixed with other rice grown else where was not decided. It was also not said that they would do this, only strongly consider it. It was on NHK World News. Again that was quite a while ago. Japan is serious about their rice and they have shops that dedicate themselves in rice variety from across Japan and maybe even other parts of the world. But they tell you when and where the rice was grown. I highly doubt the government would of been able to change that aspect.

Neither of these videos talk about the incident, only rice in general.

Last edited:
I knew about Arsenic in rice but I didn't, and still don't know how to get rid of most of it, and/or how to get the best rice product where I live. It just sucks that basically everything we want to eat is poisonous.

Another, perhaps even more shocking thing is the fact that there's so much plastics in our environment that it's found everywhere. Plastics have been found in raindrops collected in national parks, and snow in the rural areas of the world. They literally find it everywhere they look.

Data from 50 studies on microplastics (plastics smaller than five millimeters) found that people consume on average every week 2000 tiny pieces of plastic mostly through water (and I thought the food source was bad enough), but also through the air we breathe.
Every year humans eat an entire dinner plate of plastic particles. Yummy.. Imagine what that sums up to in a life time.

I tried to found the exact notes I wrote but couldn't find them but this is what I think I remebered from the study: Out of a number of young men, 89% of them had high levels of BPA in their urine. BPA is an Estrogen-mimicking organic synthetic compound.
Why are testosterone levels at the absolute bottom, especially among the young? Why are sperm counts dropping at an alarming rate? Why have men become so feminine just in a few years? There is of course much more to the reasons why but these chemicals are playing a massive role in this because they're everywhere. Add to that that our bodies (including the brain and the genitals) are bathing in 4G, soon the untested 5G radiation for the first time in human history and china already planning for 6G.

* I highly recommend storing certain foods in glass jars. At least most of it. I try to do so.
* I'm even thinking about getting a water filter for my tap water even though they say we have the highest standard in the world. I don't buy that at all.
Eat as healthy as you can. Whatever you eat make sure it's fresh and cook it yourself. (y)🍽️(y)

I did not know about plastic in the air, but I know it is collecting in the ocean like an island. I had a water filter, but it broke. I need to get another. What country do you live in blixt and Truck and anyone else who may happen by? I am in the US.

The issue with arsenic is that they claim soaking it for hours or cooking it in high amounts of water and then draining the water will take out a good portion of the poison. But if you do that, it also takes out a good amount of minerals and vitamins. Brown rice is argued to hold more arsenic, because it still has much of the shell still attached and more ways for the arsenic to cling to/hide in. Plus I am sure it will be "boiled" and not "steamed" rice. Depending on how you like your rice, you might not even want to eat it.

But rice does not have to be eaten though. Plenty of other grains and vegetables that you can easily substitute it for. Many cultures around the world do not even eat rice or very little of it and instead use corn or potatoes, lentils, etc. I just had for the first time and will again shortly, bamboo rice. Not the dish, but the actual type of rice. Supposedly grown from a dying bamboo tree ( plant? grass?) in the forest. I doubt, but I still need to research it, it has that much arsenic in it. Also it is about three times as expensive for rice and looks green and they say it tastes like green tea. I notice a slight different flavor, but I wouldn't call it tasting like green tea, maybe a "hint" of it. Although there is an actual dish where you pour green tea on top of your rice. ^^!

They claim soy is to be blamed for males being more "feminine". No actual study that I am aware of, but some guy claiming to of drank gallon after gallon of soy milk, eating a package of tofu with every meal and yadda yadda yadda he really loved tofu, but he grew man boobs or something like that. Even if it were true, why was he eating so much of it? I would not recommend a baby or a toddler to drink soy milk, or even animal milk for that matter at that young of an age, but soy is fine unless obviously you have a serious allergic reaction to soy or something, like some are with nuts. The majority of the world can not drink or eat dairy products without some kind of negative reaction. I myself am lactose intolerant. Does not keep me from drinking it or eating it if I really wanted too though. Would be an interesting experience later on however. ^^! My father was also the same way.

I have also heard concerns of wifi and microwaves and some other things in our homes and at work. It may have a small effect, but then again we use them (I am not currently using a microwave) every day all the time. We keep cell phones in our pockets next to our groins and most of us still put them to our faces to talk. (Has anyone thought about those who keep them in their back pockets and then fart on them and then use them? Any thoughts on that? Any at all? 🤔 :giggle:) Did you know that hospitals have the worse idea on how to treat a patient? They load them up on expensive medications which can do more harm in other ways, while keeping them in areas full of electronics and the food they serve are all or mostly processed.

I actually just thought about starting to store my food in glass or ceramic jars, like the old fashioned ones with roosters on them. ^^! I was not thinking so much about the plastic, although it makes sense not to keep them in bags, but to keep them handier about the kitchen and fresher I believe. I may really start to have to do that now. I even have them holding other things at the moment. It is also just simply more convenient to lift a tight fitting lid, than to have to untie a bag each time as well. And looks nicer too! ^^!

And as the video shows, plastics are everywhere and for ridiculous reasons. Peter from Japanology has complained more than once, on the show of all things, (more like pointed out) that the Japanese will wrap everything in plastic. We understand the reason behind it, but it still does not tackle the issue. Even for books they will wrap it with a plastic or paper cover so no one knows what you are reading on the train. (hentai :eek:)

Last edited:
I knew about Arsenic in rice but I didn't, and still don't know how to get rid of most of it, and/or how to get the best rice product where I live. It just sucks that basically everything we want to eat is poisonous.

Another, perhaps even more shocking thing is the fact that there's so much plastics in our environment that it's found everywhere. Plastics have been found in raindrops collected in national parks, and snow in the rural areas of the world. They literally find it everywhere they look.

Data from 50 studies on microplastics (plastics smaller than five millimeters) found that people consume on average every week 2000 tiny pieces of plastic mostly through water (and I thought the food source was bad enough), but also through the air we breathe.
Every year humans eat an entire dinner plate of plastic particles. Yummy.. Imagine what that sums up to in a life time.

I tried to found the exact notes I wrote but couldn't find them but this is what I think I remebered from the study: Out of a number of young men, 89% of them had high levels of BPA in their urine. BPA is an Estrogen-mimicking organic synthetic compound.
Why are testosterone levels at the absolute bottom, especially among the young? Why are sperm counts dropping at an alarming rate? Why have men become so feminine just in a few years? There is of course much more to the reasons why but these chemicals are playing a massive role in this because they're everywhere. Add to that that our bodies (including the brain and the genitals) are bathing in 4G, soon the untested 5G radiation for the first time in human history and china already planning for 6G.

* I highly recommend storing certain foods in glass jars. At least most of it. I try to do so.
* I'm even thinking about getting a water filter for my tap water even though they say we have the highest standard in the world. I don't buy that at all.
Eat as healthy as you can. Whatever you eat make sure it's fresh and cook it yourself. (y)🍽️(y)

I've said this since I was in University (12-7 years ago); why are so many pre-teen and young teen girls, so developed at that age, when many of my peers still had child-like bodies? Why are pre-teen and young teen boys, able to put on muscle and grow/look like an IFBB pro? (mind you, they eat properly too) Hormones put in food have definitely been the cause of this and now with so many different foods being available from so many different countries, without regulation or anything, we see young males and females maturing and filling-out much earlier and more-effectively, than any of my peers or prior peers.

Don't doubt in my mind that hormone use is at an all-time high.

And I'm in Canada, just north of Toronto :)

I did not know about plastic in the air, but I know it is collecting in the ocean like an island. I had a water filter, but it broke. I need to get another. What country do you live in blixt and Truck and anyone else who may happen by? I am in the US.

The issue with arsenic is that they claim soaking it for hours or cooking it in high amounts of water and then draining the water will take out a good portion of the poison. But if you do that, it also takes out a good amount of minerals and vitamins. Brown rice is argued to hold more arsenic, because it still has much of the shell still attached and more ways for the arsenic to cling to/hide in. Plus I am sure it will be "boiled" and not "steamed" rice. Depending on how you like your rice, you might not even want to eat it.

But rice does not have to be eaten though. Plenty of other grains and vegetables that you can easily substitute it for. Many cultures around the world do not even eat rice or very little of it and instead use corn or potatoes, lentils, etc. I just had for the first time and will again shortly, is bamboo rice. Not the dish, but the actual type of rice. Supposedly grown from a dying bamboo tree ( plant? grass?) in the forest. I doubt, but I still need to research it, it has that much arsenic in it. Also it is about three times as expensive for rice and looks green and they say it tastes like green tea. I notice a slight different flavor, but I wouldn't call it tasting like green tea, maybe a "hint" of it. Although there is an actual dish where you pour green tea on top of your rice. ^^!

They claim soy is to be blamed for males being more "feminine". No actual study that I am aware of, but some guy claiming to of drank gallon after gallon of soy milk, eating a package of tofu with every meal and yadda yadda yadda he really loved tofu, but he grew man boobs or something like that. Even if it were true, why was he eating so much of it? I would not recommend a baby or a toddler to drink soy milk, or even animal milk for that matter at that young of an age, but soy is fine unless obviously you have a serious allergic reaction to soy or something, like some are with nuts. The majority of the world can not drink or eat dairy products without some kind of negative reaction. I myself am lactose intolerant. Does not keep me from drinking it or eating it if I really wanted too though. Would be an interesting experience later on however. ^^! My father was also the same way.

I have also heard concerns of wifi and microwaves and some other things in our homes and at work. It may have a small effect, but then again we use them (I am not currently using a microwave) every day all the time. We keep cell phones in our pockets next to our groins and most of us still put them to our faces to talk. (Has anyone thought about those who keep them in their back pockets and then fart on them and then use them? Any thoughts on that? Any at all? 🤔 :giggle:) Did you know that hospitals have the worse idea on how to treat a patient? They load them up on expensive medications which can do more harm in other ways, while keeping them in areas full of electronics and the food they serve are all or mostly processed.

I actually just thought about starting to store my food in glass or ceramic jars, like the old fashioned ones with roosters on them. ^^! I was not thinking so much about the plastic, although it makes sense not to keep them in bags, but to keep them handier about the kitchen. I may really start to have to do that now. I even have the holding other things at the moment. It is also just simply more convenient to lift a tight fitting lid, than to have to untie a bag each time as well. And looks nicer too! ^^!

And as the video shows, plastics are everywhere and for ridiculous reasons. Peter from Japanology has complained more than once, on the show of all things, (more like pointed out) that the Japanese will wrap everything in plastic. We understand the reason behind it, but it still does not tackle the issue. Even for books they will wrap it with a plastic or paper cover so no one knows what you are reading on the train. (hentai :eek:)
Interesting info you have there, I didn't know about the so called bamboo rice. 🤔
I live in Sweden and the grocery stores here has planty of organic food but we also import like half of the food.. I think.. (not sure, but quite a lot from the US if I remember it correctly.) The food however is very expensive. But I rather eat expensive with less/none pesticides. One example, I used to buy non-organic grapes, and it was like a ´tornado kick´ in my stomach. Then I bought the organic ones instead and I felt no problems at all. It also tasted much better.

Yeah there's defenetly plastic particles in the air. If it's in the water and in the raindrops it's most defenetly in the air as well and it's even more so in the big cities. Americans who moves to Sweden (yes there are a few) thinks the air is incredibly fresh to breathe over here. But the one that said so were from California. The rural/less populated areas or states in the US should have much cleaner air.

Regarding the radiation I'd like to just say that I've seen much evidence that wifi/phone radiation is very dangerous. Especially for the children. I can literally feel the rediation emitting from the smart phones when I hold them. I can't stand smartphones. Some people can't leave the house without one and I just want to throw it out the window the second I see one. I would never let a child use an iPad or a phone. There is lots of cover-ups going on with these things.
Each phone has some type of instruction manual, and in the fine print it says something like: ´never hold your phone directly to your head .. keep the phone at -this or that- distance .. never talk more than X-minutes´, and/or something along those lines. But that's not what they say in the commercials. I'm using the microwave owen again because I don't always have the time for anything else. But those aren't good either. It heats the food from the inside and out and that must ruin the nutrients in the process.
Yeah I'm well aware of the medicaton industry, hospitals and how they treat patients. The more I look at the world the more upside down it is. I see inversion everywhere I look. That's why it's a good thing that this thread exist so that people can learn more about cooking and also get engouraged to eat more healthy.

Yeah, I'm also buying more jars. The ones I have aren't enough. Stainless cans is also a good alternative to plastics. I used to have those greasy plastic food containers, yuck. I'm throwing them away.. All of them. It's worst kind of storage for food.

About your comment on soy; That soundd absolutely horrible, yeah why would he eat so much of it?
I still avoid soy. There is this thing called ´soy lecithin´. I think that is much worse than soybeans alone.
But yeah. If you don't eat too much of it you will be fine. The problem is the fact that soy lecithin is found in so many products, and even the milk we buy (at least over here) has those chemicals in it because they feed the cows with: soy. :cautious:
So I honestly think we over-consume soy without even realizing it.

I've said this since I was in University (12-7 years ago); why are so many pre-teen and young teen girls, so developed at that age, when many of my peers still had child-like bodies? Why are pre-teen and young teen boys, able to put on muscle and grow/look like an IFBB pro? (mind you, they eat properly too) Hormones put in food have definitely been the cause of this and now with so many different foods being available from so many different countries, without regulation or anything, we see young males and females maturing and filling-out much earlier and more-effectively, than any of my peers or prior peers.

Don't doubt in my mind that hormone use is at an all-time high.

And I'm in Canada, just north of Toronto :)
Good point.
When you mentioned this I got to think of how many food supplements there are today compared to when our parents were younger and (for example) went to the gym. I don't think these supplements are well tested and who knows what in them?
I got to think of protein powders and such but there are tons of others, like pills and so forth. In plastic bottles of course.

My father was a strong proponent of not using microwaves. But I have researched quite a bit about them and as long as you are not nose to glass/door with it, you should be fine. For further precaution, if you are pregnant or have serious health issues, just stay away from them when they are on. And obviously do not dissemble it if you do not know what you are doing... I heard the Russians do not use microwaves, but I think that is an old wives tale. ^^!

Some say microwaving is the best way to cook actually, due to how fast it is. Mushrooms for sure are best microwaved, so they say anyway. Using the oven takes too long. Boiling, but not drinking the "pot liquor" you lose a lot of nutrients. Frying I have heard is good, if you stir fry over high heat, because of how quick it is. But normal frying not so much, because the heat is not as high as it needs to be.

Grilling and letting the fats hit the coals even though it tastes good may not be so good for you.

I no longer use tin foil for cooking due to all the aluminum and what ever else that leeches into your food.

Not sure about the lecithin. I hardly eat anything processed now nor do I drink animal milk anymore. If I went out to eat sure, but that is a rare occasion and I consider it a treat. As far as soy I only have soy milk, my tofu and my soy beans. Besides the milk that I have with my oatmeal once a day and maybe a few swigs to equal a cup later, I do not consume much of it. Soybeans every so often. And two thin slices of "tofu" steaks I grill (not burnt), preferably after it has been frozen to give it a more meatier texture once or twice a week.

Seriously if you have not tried that, even if you hate tofu because you have tried it in the past, freeze it first and try it again. You may be presently surprised.

As far as supplements are concerned, you really have no idea how long they have been sitting in a hot warehouse and what you think is going to be great turns out to be watered down so to speak and degraded in it's effectiveness. I suggest just getting all or most of your nutrients from your food. Squirt some fresh lemon on your food for both a zesty flavor and a great boost in vitamin C. Do NOT cook it however. Save it for after you have already put your food in your dish and then put the lemon juice on it at that point.

It’s not really cooking at all, but living in New Mexico now I’ve got to trying all the red and green chile stuff. Some Mexican food that you can’t really get at Taco Bell either. I’m thinking now I’ve built up such a tolerance that there’s nothing spicy enough for me.

It’s not really cooking at all, but living in New Mexico now I’ve got to trying all the red and green chile stuff. Some Mexican food that you can’t really get at Taco Bell either. I’m thinking now I’ve built up such a tolerance that there’s nothing spicy enough for me.
Taco Bell does not sell Mexican food though... :hmm:

I just tried some azuki beans. Apparently that is one of the beans the Japanese use as a healthier treat option... not sure why... I think you could probably sweeten dog turds just as easily if you added enough sugar to it... :cautious:

In all seriousness though, it has a good flavor, just not sure why they would choose "that" to sweeten. There has to be other things they have that could be used and be easier to make. Maybe a traditional thing? Maybe the consistency after preparation? Regardless, ate it with collard green leaves and bamboo rice, with chopped garlic, roasted sesame seeds and a pinch of salt. Sort of like a vegetarian taco. Not too bad, provided the greens are crisp, which mine were. May make some cooked greens as well with vinegar and add it as a topping to it. :unsure:

Adzuki beans are $3 a pound organic. Not the cheapest bean in the bin for sure. :eek:

I would probably eat curry every day. I will take my secret curry recipe to the grave with me...It's the only food I make that ever gets me compliments! :LOL:

Taco Bell does not sell Mexican food though... :hmm:

I love Taco Bell; yes, I know that any reputable Tex-Mex restaurant (or myself at home) can make the dishes better (and much-healthier), but Mexican/Tex-Mex is my favourite food on the planet and I can eat it Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner for the rest of my life.

In terms of their dishes, I've made Crunchwraps 4 times now (awesome), Gorditas twice (awesome; I've also gotten the "sauce," that they use in-between the two vessels, downpat and it isn't some mysterious thing like what they put on!), Fries Supreme (awesome; it isn't hard) once or twice and I think I've tried making a chalupa just once and while tasty, it didn't turn out properly because I didn't deep-fry it (IIRC; I may not have made it after all lol).

I've also made Huevos Rancheros, Mole, proper corn tortillas with Camerones, etc., but that's for another post ;).

I just tried some azuki beans. Apparently that is one of the beans the Japanese use as a healthier treat option... not sure why... I think you could probably sweeten dog turds just as easily if you added enough sugar to it... :cautious:

In all seriousness though, it has a good flavor, just not sure why they would choose "that" to sweeten. There has to be other things they have that could be used and be easier to make. Maybe a traditional thing? Maybe the consistency after preparation? Regardless, ate it with collard green leaves and bamboo rice, with chopped garlic, roasted sesame seeds and a pinch of salt. Sort of like a vegetarian taco. Not too bad, provided the greens are crisp, which mine were. May make some cooked greens as well with vinegar and add it as a topping to it. :unsure:

Adzuki beans are $3 a pound organic. Not the cheapest bean in the bin for sure. :eek:

Wow that's expensive.

Thinking of Azuki, have you ever had Natto? Japan as a country seems to be 50/50 on them liking the dish, but this Italian palate goes nuts for them :D

BTW, this weekend I harvested all of my parsley...

1605549443910.png

(this was just under 1/2 of it)

... and made a good portion of it into Tabouleh (don't have a picture), as well as keeping one bag on-hand fresh and freezing the other 3 bags we got out of it (I don't use dried parsley, so no need to dry any).

I also made Trofie, in the style that I had in Alassio, Liguria, Italy, on my Honeymoon; made from scratch, they turned out quite well:

1605549643676.png

1605549686929.png

They are done in Pesto (obviously, as that is the sauce of choice for Liguria) and boiled alongside green beans and white potatoes.

The Pesto was also made from scratch by me earlier this year, with my basil that grew this year :)

Last edited:
Back