Dojo Cooking Thread

I have had sweet corn actually and am not a huge fan; I like the subdued, milder flavor of older (but still on the husk)/frozen corn (canned though is just disgusting. Ugh). I'll eat it, but I prefer the milder stuff.

And yes; EVERY single food item I don't like, I've tried lol. Whether it is yellow, green, orange, red, purple, white or hybrid, there isn't a sweet pepper I don't like XD

I grew purple peppers this year and made them for my wife; she rather-enjoyed them, but those too didn't fancy my palate.

I have had sweet corn actually and am not a huge fan; I like the subdued, milder flavor of older (but still on the husk)/frozen corn (canned though is just disgusting. Ugh). I'll eat it, but I prefer the milder stuff.

And yes; EVERY single food item I don't like, I've tried lol. Whether it is yellow, green, orange, red, purple, white or hybrid, there isn't a sweet pepper I don't like XD

I grew purple peppers this year and made them for my wife; she rather-enjoyed them, but those too didn't fancy my palate.

Just for you... I remember watching this with someone and I was like, how can he eat that pepper raw!? This was before I knew they had different levels of sweetness depending on maturity of the pepper. ^^!

And then found this gem. It's so true though, he tastes everything! :ROFLMAO:

When I was a kid, I always thought Kaga was a nut, but he's literally the most-perfect choice for that role; so awesome.

And yes, I believe Takeshi Kaga's favourite food in real life, is bell pepper, hence why he ate it like that :LOL:

IMO, the greatest cooking show ever. Ever, ever, ever.

It’s not much for cooking but I’ve been trying green chile on buttered toast, and chili on top of that. Pretty decent snack. Also tried some on frozen pizza a few days back. Just kinda disappointed all the local places are shut down for now.

When I was a kid, I always thought Kaga was a nut, but he's literally the most-perfect choice for that role; so awesome.

And yes, I believe Takeshi Kaga's favourite food in real life, is bell pepper, hence why he ate it like that :LOL:

IMO, the greatest cooking show ever. Ever, ever, ever.

They say Kaga never swallows... :eek: that is why he stays so thin. :sneaky: It was one of my favorite ones as well. I have no idea if it was real or not, meaning if the outcome truly was by the better cook, or if it was completely scripted. What I do know is I hated the American version. I liked Alton Brown, but did not like that version of the show.

Have you ever watched Takashi's Castle? In America it was MXC Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. In the true English version of TC, the host is Craig Charles from Red Dwarf fame. Besides the obstacle course, TC and MXC virtually have nothing in common story wise.

Takeshi's Castle English version

MXC

It’s not much for cooking but I’ve been trying green chile on buttered toast, and chili on top of that. Pretty decent snack. Also tried some on frozen pizza a few days back. Just kinda disappointed all the local places are shut down for now.

You living in New Mexico? They have not reopened yet? Bunch of places in the US never even bothered to close, although they may of shortened their hours.

Yeah, it seems like some are trying to open but it’s hard to know when the website says one thing and yet going to the store it’s all locked up and no one’s there. Or sometimes the other way around.

And do you use Google when searching for places? I have found them pretty accurate, even with the pandemic. But then again, like I said a lot of places never closed, only reduced their operation hours so I guess it just depends.

They say Kaga never swallows... :eek: that is why he stays so thin. :sneaky: It was one of my favorite ones as well. I have no idea if it was real or not, meaning if the outcome truly was by the better cook, or if it was completely scripted. What I do know is I hated the American version. I liked Alton Brown, but did not like that version of the show.

Have you ever watched Takashi's Castle? In America it was MXC Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. In the true English version of TC, the host is Craig Charles from Red Dwarf fame. Besides the obstacle course, TC and MXC virtually have nothing in common story wise.

Takeshi's Castle English version

MXC

You living in New Mexico? They have not reopened yet? Bunch of places in the US never even bothered to close, although they may of shortened their hours.

lol he stated after the show that he had consumed over like 1.1 million calories, just eating the dishes on the show lol. He worked out to death.

The Japanese one was NOT scripted, but it was sensationalized more than it should have been lol. I never watched a second of the American one and don't care to; the Iron Chefs are simply not the caliber of the Japanese Iron Chefs (save for maybe Flay, but he's a massive POS) and Dascacos is not a great choice for chairman.

And from what I read of the theme ingredient? Oh, now it's a, "SECRET," ingredient? No it isn't; the chefs are told of 3-5 ingredients that could be the theme and they have a week to devise a menu. Nothing secret about it (this was known on the Japanese show, back in the 90s, probably why it was never referred to as a secret; a minor gripe, but it sticks in my craw). Anyways, I think it came out in 2012 or 2013 that the American show was scripted (of course).

And I don't know why everyone loves Alton Brown so much; SUCH a pretentious attitude and his voice annoys the shit out of me lol.

As for MXC, very few TV shows have I ever seen, have been a bigger waste of time than that; never found it funny, never found it interesting and just a complete waste of time.

Never have seen Takeshi's Castle either, but despite comedy being Kitano's background, I prefer his more-serious roles; he's a phenomenal acting talent.

Good lord! I bet she has the best ghormeh sabzis! 🤪

Well I should make a confession... I actually have a small Teflon square pan. I bought it so I do not have to use oil when cooking food. I initially bought it to cook the Japanese egg dish that you fold over, sort of like an omelet. But I found the pan too small to do it confidently and comfortably. Plus soon after that I decided to stop eating animal products, at least at home, so it was regulated to cooking mostly tofu which does not need oil, because it slides in that pan and fits two "steaks". Otherwise, with any other pan even with oil, the tofu always stuck to the bottom of the pan and tears apart and I get basically "ground meat", rather than a "steak".

BUT you HAVE to use a non-scratch utensil. You can NOT use metal on the pan or the Teflon will scrape off and get into your food. So far I do not see any scratches and I use a wooden utensil myself, as I do not trust the silicon or rubber or what ever that stuff is that they make things with these days.
I also want wooden utensils, I need to buy them! Since I use an all iron frying pan nowdays I use those in metal. Not plastic.
Hard-anodized aluminum (edit: no aluminum gets in the food) frying pan is an alternative that is said to be much better than teflon. It's also scratch resistent I think. Just a tip. But I need to do deeper research. I love eggs myself. The organic ones are the best. I see a difference of the strong yellow color compared to the non-organic ones. Organc eggs also contain more Omega-3. I don't know how you do in the US or Canada but here we buy eggs from local farmers, most organic. I fry about 2 eggs and put them on a couple of sandwhiches. I also make a simple french omelette with (had to look up the word) chives in it. I can't cook any advanced meals like you do but I like drooling at your pictures.

I love eggs myself. The organic ones are the best. I see a difference of the strong yellow color compared to the non-organic ones. Organc eggs also contain more Omega-3. I don't know how you do in the US or Canada but here we buy eggs from local farmers, most organic. I fry about 2 eggs and put them on a couple of sandwhiches. I also make a simple french omelette with (had to look up the word) chives in it. I can't cook any advanced meals like you do but I like drooling at your pictures.

As I said I have basically stopped buying animal products for the home. However "if" I have a hankering for an egg, I do buy from Vital Farms or I will "try" another brand. Unfortunately they are not cheap. As I recall a dozen eggs costs about seven or eight dollars. Six dollars would be the cheapest. Generally a dozen "regular" eggs cost about a dollar. So you can see there is a major price difference.

However as you noted, so too is the flavor. But not everyone can do it. You have six mouths to feed and a limited budget, you are buying the cheaper eggs, regardless how the animals are treated or the nutrition value. But the more I think about the price difference, really it is like 50 cent an egg. You pay that much for the egg in your breakfast sandwich from a fast food place on the go and I can guarantee you they are either not even using real/fresh eggs to begin with or they certainly are not of high quality.

Vital Farms 1

CBC Market Place about eggs

Last edited:
I also want wooden utensils, I need to buy them! Since I use an all iron frying pan nowdays I use those in metal. Not plastic.
Hard-anodized aluminum (edit: no aluminum gets in the food) frying pan is an alternative that is said to be much better than teflon. It's also scratch resistent I think. Just a tip. But I need to do deeper research.
I bought an overly large non-stick pan as well. A huge square one with very low sides. I am not exactly sure what I was thinking, minus that it is not made out of Teflon, so supposedly it is better for you. But it is so big I need a bigger burner. And I have to be careful what and how I cook with it, as stuff can easily fall out the sides if I have too much of something in it, like if I was trying to cook fried rice or something.

Ahhh... it is called a griddle pan... and I do not cook many things that would require a griddle... ^^!

And I don't know why everyone loves Alton Brown so much; SUCH a pretentious attitude and his voice annoys the shit out of me lol.

As for MXC, very few TV shows have I ever seen, have been a bigger waste of time than that; never found it funny, never found it interesting and just a complete waste of time.

Never have seen Takeshi's Castle either, but despite comedy being Kitano's background, I prefer his more-serious roles; he's a phenomenal acting talent.
I liked the show Good Eats, as it would go in depth for what the subject was, including the history. I do not have anything personal against Alton, as I liked him in that show. But I have not seen him in much of anything else minus the American Iron Chef which I did not like and I believe he has his own YouTube channel... ehhh...

MXC I enjoyed, but obviously totally not what the show was about. I guess you just have to find that humor funny. I assume the UK version is a more realistic take on the show or it seems that way anyway. I tried to watch WipeOut, but I just can not get into it. And American Ninja Warrior is good, but not made to be humorous. I do recommend the UK version of Takeshi Castle though. ^^!

The other day I had bought some vegetable crackers. Entertainer Crackers I think they were called. Tasted pretty decent for being crackers bought at the Dollar Tree (Mainly a dollar store.). Regardless I was snacking on them and they being so good I decided to read the nutritional label... something you should do with any product really. Anyway I discovered they were only 70 calories... for three crackers... it had eleven servings... Who eats just three crackers with anything? Like seriously!?

And it reminded me of how the soft drink companies, especially now with the 20 ounce soda bottles, how they claim there are 2.5 servings in them. That is only one serving for most people. I believe the UK or the EU forces the soda companies there to list it as one serving.

I tell you companies try to fool you. Yes the information is there (because it is forced to be there) if you care to read it, but just glancing at something, which is what they are hoping for, if not at all, can be deceiving.

In Canada, our pop bottles and cans label the serving size, per unit (per bottle, 660 or whatever ML and can, 355 ml etc.), so for them, it is accurate. But yes, for other things, the labels are typically 1/4-1/3 of the entire amount in the bag/container/etc., so it's a problem here too.

Saw James May make cheese sandwiches, with pickle spread (must be a British thing) and your pic reminds me of that EXACTLY! lol

The vid is from a few years back (there are a few on YT), but I had no idea that a Top Gear host was doing random cooking things lol

lol, the funny thing for me is I typically hate having pickles in any sandwich. I can only eat pickles by themselves, and not the chip kind either. But when I was real young I’d like to drink the juice leftover which now I am kind of grossed out at the thought of.

Saw someone mention green chile bagels recently in some New Mexico group I’m a part of. Normally I tend to just stick to plain, would like cinnamon if not for raisins, and have stuff like pb n j as toppings. But green chile inside sounds good, maybe with chili or buffalo chicken strips on top.

But when I was real young I’d like to drink the juice leftover which now I am kind of grossed out at the thought of.
My father would swear by the pickle juice and he rarely got sick too. I still do it from time to time. Not sure if it truly is any good for you, but it has a lot of vinegar, garlic (I guess it depends on the recipe) and other good things.

Completely unrelated and yet it is everywhere, even in pickle jars...

If sugar was not addicting, I would not crave it as much at times, even knowing full well it is bad for me for things like sodas or candies. Believe what you want, but there is no denying sugar is EVERYWHERE.

Pickle Juice has become a fairly big thing in North America, the past few years (for example, Shake Shack uses a ton of it in their special sauce and while I've never had the real thing {we don't have any in Canada, obviously}, I've made the, "imitation version," at home and it is a delicious sauce) and people are discovering health benefits and flavour benefits, that it adds to nutrition and food, respectively.

Just going through all of the Lombardian recipes that I will be cooking over the next few months (stay tuned), it always amazes me how anyone can find ANY use and method of ANY ingredient... just incredible.

It is true I am lactose intolerant, so I have stomach issues if I drink cows milk. :sick: However I did not have any issues with my lungs after I had consumed it until a few years back. I already had poor sleeping habits, since I was young. It got increasingly worse during and after the military. However a few years back, I was lucky to get a couple hours of sleep a night, instead of my usual five or six. I would constantly be on the verge of falling asleep, like right at that sweet spot of awake and sleep, when you KNOW you are about to pass out in sleep bliss.

And right when I was about to hit that stride, I would wake up snorting. I had no idea why. I had assumed due to allergies perhaps or cigarette smoke from neighbors or perhaps something more personal like my heart actually stopping in the middle of the night or stress from work. I simply had no idea and I stubbornly wont go to a doctor. I was also afraid perhaps I was just waking from snoring instead. But I have been told I have snored before and that usually means you are actually sleeping, just other people can not sleep because of your snoring. ^^! But as I said I was never allowed to sleep, I was just on the verge of doing so. It happened so often I was aware of just when I was about to go into a deep sleep and then prevented from doing so... over and over again... night after night. I am not going to lie, there were times I felt like bawling and tearing my pillow apart and ripping my hair out, it was just so frustrating and tiring, night after night after night... 🤬😤🤯

The weird thing is, I would breath normally while awake, standing, sitting or even laying down. Only when I was about to fall asleep would it happen and like clock work. Even forcing myself to lay in different positions and sides, did nothing to ease my torment. Then I saw this video and decided to stop drinking cows milk and eating dairy and I have been able to sleep better. I still do not get enough of it and I still wake repeatedly through out the night, but I am at least sleeping. If and when I do eat some kind of dairy, I try for it to be in the morning or early afternoon, so by the time I do try and sleep at night, I do not have any reactions, minus what comes with having an intolerance to it... 🤪

This video is not too long. Probably quicker to watch, than read all that I wrote. ^^!

The saddest part is, a fellow co-worker has a child that is on a breathing machine and has diagnosed sleep apnea. She has to be on a breathing machine every night. Either the co-worker pays for some of it or maybe none of it due to her daughter is still a child. But I offered her to watch the video, even urged her too, but she refuses. She says the doctor keeps telling them to drink even more milk, but she is not getting any better. Sure the machine helps her sleep, but it is not making her better. And I can not say if she stopped drinking milk that it would actually help, but it is worth a try in my opinion. But she simply refuses. Makes me sad... :crying:

Back