EDGE Magazine Cover Story: Shenmue 3

I found these highlights on the net (Resetera?):
* Yu Suzuki is using his documents from 20 years ago that he gathered on Chinese culture in the 1980's, chinese tribes, their customs and villages, he's also traveled to the Fujian Province for direct hands-on research of the people and their lifestyle
* First two games had modern settings, this one is steeped in religion and ancient culture of China
* You start in a village called Bailu, it sounds like the start will be slow paced. People will barely talk to you and won't answer your questions because you're an outsider, there's a dialogue system and you need to complete tasks and become more known around the village before the local people will give you info. If you have Shenhua with you the villagers will be more open with you because they know and trust her.
* Each villager will have their own day-night routine just like the previous games
* Because Ryo is a city boy there's a lot of obliviousness from him and there's funny and interesting conversations because his viewpoint is so different.
* The game is more about looking inward than outward, Suzuki says he wants to look deeper into the Ryo character and we'll learn more about him.
* Same voice actor as before
* A large part of the game is the affinity system between Ryo and Shenhua and a major part of the story of the game is the relationship between the two.
* Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating

Combat system looks much smoother and is more RPG based, not just learning skills by repeating moves over and over
Attack power and stamina are the two main stats for combat, stamina is used for everything (sprinting, fighting moves) and can be restored by eating food. eating before doing something strenuous will become routine
* When training you can customize Ryo's clothes into training gear
* Training is done through mini-games, Horse Stance, One inch Punch and more, mostly rhythm based but satisfying to pull off
* Technique scrolls from 1 & 2 return as well as new ones, around 100 in total
* The intricate world building of characters being linked and having back-stories is present in 3
* There's a fight club in another city you can enter where you fight people with nicknames like "The Knee of Death" and "Mach Fist" (voiced by Chris Bellinger)
* At one point you'll have to fight multiple people in these fighting events, people who want to master the combat system will be spending a lot of time fighting in these events. All of the fighting happens in the Rose Garden and is optional.
* Controls are carried over from Shenmue 2 but with analogue stick camera improvements
* Capsule toys are back
* EDGE sound very positive on what they've seen.
* Suzuki stresses how important it is to make the game feel like a Shenmue game, modern games are more open world nowadays but he doesn't want to go that way because then it wouldn't be Shenmue
This write up is a little loose and contains some spoilers. The controls comment is not quite right based on other information we have outside of this written feature, for example.

Perhaps those are the kind of things you should avoid.
For me its cool but many people might consider that spoiler tho.
Yeah. I think there's some context missing about where this location is. It's either a spoiler you'd want saved until you play the game... Or a "yeah, duh" moment that won't be a spoiler for anybody here, at least.

Depending on how many copies there are at the WHSmiths near my work I may pick up an extra one or two to send over if anyone wants one?

It can easily be ordered online in case you are interested

https://www.myfavouritemagazines.co.uk/gaming/edge-magazine-back-issues/

the latest issue is not listed yet though.
It probably won't be added until the issue is officially on newsstands. But based on that page, it looks like the "current" issue is only $10 including shipping to the US. It might to be the best way to get a copy since they have experience shipping them overseas already.

I'm interested in a copy, but I'll probably just wait until they're selling them directly and order online from that link. I guess another option might be giving them away as prizes - I'd be willing to donate funds for about 5 copies if I could get 1 of those 5. Especially if there was a way for someone to get a handful of copies signed at MAGIC in a few weeks, then they'd be even better prize items. That's probably a pipe dream though. (Just to clarify, I'm not asking anyone for copies, but would be open to ideas around that.)

I've just read the article, and it spoils a lot about the games details, from mechanics, fighting, inventory, gameplay, storypoints, character names etc.

Read at your own risk if you want to go into this game blind. I mean that.
I'm late to the thread so somewhere in here this might already been confirmed but someone who's willing should make a spoiler free info thread with everything specifically from this magazine.

Doing the spoiler-free write up now. Should I make a separate thread for it?
Well there you go lol

Spoiler-free thread ETA: 10 minutes-ish. Doing a proof read, but I'm knackered and have had a few drinks. Tried to be as thorough as possible sans spoilers, and to describe the systems in a way that reads cohesively.

For everyone asking for the scans...

giphy.gif

reddit-alien-red-st.jpg

I'm gonna be "that guy", but the preview wasn't all hype for me, it was mixed, there were both exciting and disappointing aspects.

Stamina and eating stuff in your inventory, that's the kind of thing I would associate with Yakuza or other generic RPGs, what's worse is knowing that stamina will not only effect fighting, but actually running around... I feel frustrated just reading it, hopefully it's better in practice.

Controls being faithful to the previous games is music to my ears, I was afraid they will go with 360 degree camera controls and modernize it too much. Camera needs to be tied with Ryo's viewpoint.

Combat sounding good, still don't know how exactly it is "more strategic", as what they described sounds close to the original combat, but I'm not complaining.

Affinity system... I'm not sure what to think about it. The thought of having to do certain tasks to get info out of some NPCs sounds tedious and dare I say... "Game-y"? I dunno, it depends entirely on how it will be applied. I trust in Yu

Back