Embracer Q3 Report Presentation @ 9AM CET (3AM EST) 19-2-2020/2-19-2020

I’m not saying that the decision was made by YSNet nor that it wasn’t made behind their back. From what I can imagine, the decision probably really pissed them off, but they still got money from the deal.

I must be coming down with a case of amnesia, because I don’t remember the articles from all of these super reliable journalists you speak of. I remember all of the ‘YSNet sells out backers’ stories just fine, but the huge story of a publisher scamming a small indie developer out of millions of dollars didn’t seem to make any headlines. Strange...

Shenmue 3 made more than Yooka Laylee and Mighty No 9 combined.

Spiritual successor or not, if you were to give the average gamer today a choice between the spiritual successor to a hugely successful series that had sold tens of millions of copies, the spiritual successor to a game so influential that it literally has a genre named after it, the spiritual successor to what some may argue is the best platform game ever made or the sequel to a game that they most likely never played and is best known for being a huge commercial failure, which do you think they’d choose?

On paper, the S3 Kickstarter had no right to perform as well as it did and would probably be bottom of the above list in the eyes of most of today’s gamers. That it was the best performing of all four of the Kickstarters shows just how important the Sony stage was to Shenmue 3.

I’ve no doubt the game would still have been funded had the news of the Kickstarter been announced quietly on a few gaming websites, but would it have done anywhere near as well as it did?

If only $3m-$5m had been generated through the Kickstarter, do you still think DS would have been so keen to jump on board? Personally, I don’t. They heard ‘record-breaking’ and saw dollar signs if you ask me.

Also, how do you know that Sony didn’t waive or lower the platform royalty fee (usually around $7 per copy) as part of the deal? If that was the case, and looking at the 80:20 split of S1/2 sales in Europe and NA and the 100:00 split of sales of it in Japan, YSNet may have saved themselves more in royalty fees than they would have made through Xbone sales.

You (and some others on here) speak as though Yu and his team are a bunch of bumbling idiots with no business acumen whatsoever and I think you’re doing him and them a huge disservice. The fact is, none of us are privy to any of the details of the deals made surrounding S3. Ultimately though, Yu got to make the game he wanted to make. Maybe once you’ve launched the most successful video game Kickstarter in history and put out a game that tens of thousands of hardcore fans are happy with, you might be in a position to criticize him. Until then, maybe don’t?

Me and many others just look at the facts.
Sony's marketing ? Where is it ? Where was it ?
Platforms fees waived ? DS is the publisher. That wouldn't go like this. That's also baseless speculation from you.

And yes, me and many others just also look at history. Historically, the Shenmue series has been plagued by dumb deals that never benefited the serie, just for pocket change at the time.

And yes, I think those were dumb deals. Most publishers and devs, when striking exclusivity deals usually manages to get a big financial AND marketing support. In that case though ? Pocket change.

Yu got to make the game he wanted ? I rather think the opposite, otherwise we should question his talent. I rather think he didn't want to make a game with cutscenes inferior to what you would get 20 years ago. I rather think he didn't want to make a game with such a repetitive gameplay structure. I rather think he didn't want to make a combat system as shallow. I also rather think he didn't want to scrap an entire area and gameplay systems that were promised in the kickstarter, as stretch goals.

I actually think it's your line of thinking that's actually wrong. Passing up on everything. Being an apologist on everything. People can make mistakes, it happens.

Was the KS ran in a bad way ? Yes.

Were the exclusive deals strike rather unfair toward the game considering it didn't even benefit the game ? Yes, because it led to get pocket change, pocketed by other parties.

And no, you don't need to do better to criticize something. That's actually a stupid line of thinking.

Can you build a house ? Maybe not. Does it mean you cant criticize if someone does a bad job at that ?

Heck, can you make a game ? I think not. Does it mean you cant say a game is bad ?
Definitely not.

I cant make a game nor run a KS campaign. But even I can tell what has gone wrong here.

How do we know the Sony terms weren't only for if they didnt get a publisher? We don't but a break clause could have been inserted should a publisher come along.

Do I have evidence, no. Its just guesswork on my part.

Externally, where we don't have the evidence, some of these deals might look like utter madness. But we do not, however people want to twist things to their view, have all the facts and likely never will.

Making statements like "people in the know said"... nah if you're using that line back it up. That goes for everyone.

I could make that claim because I've met Yu Suzuki and some the Deep Silver team. I don't because A they wouldn't tell us shit and B if they did tell us as a community base anything we'd be under an NDA. For the record the Dojo staff know as much as anyone here around the internal working of Shenmue III. Absolutely bugger all.

Discussion is fine but let's keep it factual please.

How do we know the Sony terms weren't only for if they didnt get a publisher? We don't but a break clause could have been inserted should a publisher come along.

Do I have evidence, no. Its just guesswork on my part.

Externally, where we don't have the evidence, some of these deals might look like utter madness. But we do not, however people want to twist things to their view, have all the facts and likely never will.

Making statements like "people in the know said"... nah if you're using that line back it up. That goes for everyone.

I could make that claim because I've met Yu Suzuki and some the Deep Silver team. I don't because A they wouldn't tell us shit and B if they did tell us as a community base anything we'd be under an NDA. For the record the Dojo staff know as much as anyone here around the internal working of Shenmue III. Absolutely bugger all.

Discussion is fine but let's keep it factual please.

Romain from Gameblog has said as such multiple times. And I wouldn't doubt the guy.

I think he's also on Dojo.

Then again, people shouldn't misread what I'm saying. Because, I'll say it again: Yes, that E3 push was amazing.

The question is: Is it worth trading an exclusivity deal for this ? People usually trade an exclusivity deal in exchange of a hefty funding toward the game. That's all I'm saying.

Romain from Gameblog has said as such multiple times. And I wouldn't doubt the guy.

I think he's also on Dojo.

Then again, people shouldn't misread what I'm saying. Because, I'll say it again: Yes, that E3 push was amazing.

The question is: Is it worth trading an exclusivity deal for this ? People usually trade an exclusivity deal in exchange of a hefty funding toward the game. That's all I'm saying.
I've met Romain, good guy and reliable. Unless he states it publically it's all hearsay. He may have done and I missed the article

That said I'm of the opinion that the Epic deal was likely done only to benefit Deep Silver

Me and many others just look at the facts.
Sony's marketing ? Where is it ? Where was it ?
Platforms fees waived ? DS is the publisher. That wouldn't go like this. That's also baseless speculation from you.

And yes, me and many others just also look at history. Historically, the Shenmue series has been plagued by dumb deals that never benefited the serie, just for pocket change at the time.

And yes, I think those were dumb deals. Most publishers and devs, when striking exclusivity deals usually manages to get a big financial AND marketing support. In that case though ? Pocket change.

Yu got to make the game he wanted ? I rather think the opposite, otherwise we should question his talent. I rather think he didn't want to make a game with cutscenes inferior to what you would get 20 years ago. I rather think he didn't want to make a game with such a repetitive gameplay structure. I rather think he didn't want to make a combat system as shallow. I also rather think he didn't want to scrap an entire area and gameplay systems that were promised in the kickstarter, as stretch goals.

I actually think it's your line of thinking that's actually wrong. Passing up on everything. Being an apologist on everything. People can make mistakes, it happens.

Was the KS ran in a bad way ? Yes.

Were the exclusive deals strike rather unfair toward the game considering it didn't even benefit the game ? Yes, because it led to get pocket change, pocketed by other parties.

And no, you don't need to do better to criticize something. That's actually a stupid line of thinking.

Can you build a house ? Maybe not. Does it mean you cant criticize if someone does a bad job at that ?

Heck, can you make a game ? I think not. Does it mean you cant say a game is bad ?
Definitely not.

I cant make a game nor run a KS campaign. But even I can tell what has gone wrong here.
You talk about facts, but all I’m seeing is baseless conjecture.

Do you know the terms of Yu’s deal with Sony? Do you know the intricacies of the Epic Deal? No, you don’t. With that in mind, I fail to see how you can call either a bad deal.

We can certainly analyze and discuss the minimal information that we have about these deals, but that seems a little pointless when you choose to ignore any line of questioning that doesn’t suit your narrative, so perhaps it’s best we end the discussion here.

I've met Romain, good guy and reliable. Unless he states it publically it's all hearsay. He may have done and I missed the article

That said I'm of the opinion that the Epic deal was likely done only to benefit Deep Silver

He said so publicly, multiple times. Not in an article though, on Dojo, ERA and Twitter.

You talk about facts, but all I’m seeing is baseless conjecture.

Do you know the terms of Yu’s deal with Sony? Do you know the intricacies of the Epic Deal? No, you don’t. With that in mind, I fail to see how you can call either a bad deal.

We can certainly analyze and discuss the minimal information that we have about these deals, but that seems a little pointless when you choose to ignore any line of questioning that doesn’t suit your narrative, so perhaps it’s best we end the discussion here.

You're right about one thing:
We dont know the details. But I'm judging on pieces. Pieces of informations. Declarations. Sony says they didn't bring financial support.

We knew since the begining that most of the money would come from the KS. Sony were supposedly handling publishing duties and handle marketing. We saw none of that.

From what we have to see, Sony's support never came beyond the E3 stage. For an exclusivity deal, that's rather light.

As for Epic's deal, I'm basing that on Romain's words. And well, Yu's word himself about the game's budget. It doesn't add up. It does add up with the KS and DS's money. But not much more. That deal more likely covered DS's investment and that's all. So yeah, I'm glad Shenmue III didn't make DS lose money through a deal. I just wished it was a way for them to support the game further more and not just bail out.

He said so publicly, multiple times. Not in an article though, on Dojo, ERA and Twitter.

You're right about one thing:
We dont know the details. But I'm judging on pieces. Pieces of informations. Declarations. Sony says they didn't bring financial support.

We knew since the begining that most of the money would come from the KS. Sony were supposedly handling publishing duties and handle marketing. We saw none of that.

From what we have to see, Sony's support never came beyond the E3 stage. For an exclusivity deal, that's rather light.

As for Epic's deal, I'm basing that on Romain's words. And well, Yu's word himself about the game's budget. It doesn't add up. It does add up with the KS and DS's money. But not much more. That deal more likely covered DS's investment and that's all. So yeah, I'm glad Shenmue III didn't make DS lose money through a deal. I just wished it was a way for them to support the game further more and not just bail out.
Assuming that this journalist even said that (I’m still to see any evidence), I’d be curious as to how exactly he would know. The last I checked, people weren’t in the business of breaking NDA’s and if they were going to, I’d imagine that a journalist would be the last person they would tell.

He said so publicly, multiple times. Not in an article though, on Dojo, ERA and Twitter
Now you mentioned twitter I may have seen something on there.

I don't recall seeing anything here but given the amount of posts we work through stuff can easily be missed.

Era.... well funny story my email addresses don't pass their spam filter so I cant even sign up lol

But we haven't seen any actual evidence and that's the point.

Tbf Romain has said "what I heard" so it's only an educated guess, albeit one that one people would certainly think is reliable.

So again while we can make an assumption, it's not based on total fact.

He also said this :

It's not an educated guess.
It goes from an educated guess to a likely source. Ok that's fine but its still not evidence but the smart assumption, given Romains credibility, would be as we discussed further up based on what little we know.

It goes from an educated guess to a likely source. Ok that's fine but its still not evidence but the smart assumption, given Romains credibility, would be as we discussed further up based on what little we know.

Well I agree, it's not a hard evidence. And I doubt we'll likely ever get one. But it's just like many things in the industry. It gets known, it never gets official. In any case, all things point out, for me, that this serie is always engaged in low reward deals compared to what it is engaging for other parties (exclusivity deals for instance).

Well I agree, it's not a hard evidence. And I doubt we'll likely ever get one. But it's just like many things in the industry. It gets known, it never gets official. In any case, all things point out, for me, that this serie is always engaged in low reward deals compared to what it is engaging for other parties (exclusivity deals for instance).
You make out like Sony made millions and millions of dollars from this deal, but at $7 per $60 sale (assuming YS didn’t negotiate a lower fee as part of whatever deal was struck), this amount was at best around $1m. Considering they would have likely picked up 80%+ of this money anyway, it doesn’t seem like much to me.

In return, they gave up time in their E3 show which could have instead been used to market one of their own games for which their profit margins would have been significantly higher. They also took on the risk of being publicly attached to the Kickstarter. Given that many Kickstarter products never see the light of day or turn out to be absolute garbage, this could have damaged their reputation.

You make out like Sony made millions and millions of dollars from this deal, but at $7 per $60 sale (assuming YS didn’t negotiate a lower fee as part of whatever deal was struck), this amount was at best around $1m. Considering they would have likely picked up 80%+ of this money anyway, it doesn’t seem like much to me.

In return, they gave up time in their E3 show which could have instead been used to market one of their own games for which their profit margins would have been significantly higher. They also took on the risk of being publicly attached to the Kickstarter. Given that many Kickstarter products never see the light of day or turn out to be absolute garbage, this could have damaged their reputation.

I'm not saying the made money of this deal. I'm saying they got free word of mouth.
And let's be honest: No, they didn't "gave up a spot at E3". If you have seen those E3, they even have to fill up those spots with lower tier games or indie titles to get a full conference. Trust me, having Shenmue 3 was a "no-brainer". Why do you think people think of E3 2015 as "FFVII, TLG and Shenmue 3" ?
Because Shenmue 3, even if it's a niche IP, was still a big name because of its status of impossible sequel of a critically acclaimed game.

The win-win situation is Sony to get a big name on their E3 showing and YsNet to get a big stage for their game.

Nothing more, nothing less.

It’s funny how people can have the exact same information, interpret it and come to directly contradicting conclusions. It seems to be very much based on the predisposition of the individual. Glass empty, glass full type scenario. Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Personally I think the Epic deal was the best they could go for at the time and Sony’s E3 spot was massively important for the KS. Could Sony have done more? Probably yeah.

It’s funny how people can have the exact same information, interpret it and come to directly contradicting conclusions. It seems to be very much based on the predisposition of the individual. Glass empty, glass full type scenario. Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Personally I think the Epic deal was the best they could go for at the time and Sony’s E3 spot was massively important for the KS. Could Sony have done more? Probably yeah.

You think a deal in which YsNet didn't receive money nor benefitted the game's developpement was "the best they could go for" with all that damaged PR ?

You think a deal in which YsNet didn't receive money nor benefitted the game's developpement was "the best they could go for" with all that damaged PR ?

The thing is I’m not entirely sure YsNet didn’t get anything out of the deal. Epic bought X amounts of units in advance. I’m guessing YsNet was entitled to a certain percentage of each unit sold. So I’m following that logic. If I’m wrong then I’m wrong but it would seem very strange if DS just pocketed 100% of X units sold in advance.

The thing is I’m not entirely sure YsNet didn’t get anything out of the deal. Epic bought X amounts of units in advance. I’m guessing YsNet was entitled to a certain percentage of each unit sold. So I’m following that logic. If I’m wrong then I’m wrong but it would seem very strange if DS just pocketed 100% of X units sold in advance.
This is the logic that most people would apply when looking at the situation, but for some it’s more interesting to believe that the big evil publisher screwed over the indie developer instead.

Perhaps they suppose that Yu Suzuki is so brainless that, after working so hard to get funding for the game, he signed a contract allowing the publisher to take all digital sales for PC. Naturally, the first thing he did after this was call up a journalist half way around the world and give him all the details.

Perhaps they suppose that Yu Suzuki is so brainless that, after working so hard to get funding for the game, he signed a contract allowing the publisher to take all digital sales for PC. Naturally, the first thing he did after this was call up a journalist half way around the world and give him all the details.

I stand corrected. This does indeed sound like the most plausible scenario.

Back