Embracer Q3 Report Presentation @ 9AM CET (3AM EST) 19-2-2020/2-19-2020

Anyone want to share this news on Era lol seeing as journalists like to get their scoops on there!

Dumb question here but With all the possible sales numbers floating around. Does that include the KS backers? If not wouldn't that be an additional plus?
We don't really know but you'd assume they would only count actual sales. Kickstarter copies are just that, they don't track at retail.

We don't really know but you'd assume they would only count actual sales. Kickstarter copies are just that, they don't track at retail.
So the extra 50k is bonus points then. Am excluding the other backers who were put off by the game due to their reasons. Which I respect. Am with real1 lets get that S4 announcement! :)

Little summery.

Shenmue III was the notable release. Glad it pleased the fans but it's clear it's not a AAA IP. Interesting comments given the written report is much more positive.

@tomboz the Asia comment was another game

Great. Now we have mixed messages again. How do we interpret this?

"Shenmue III was the principal Deep Silver revenue driver in the quarter, followed by another new release of Let’s Sing 2020. Moreover, Metro Exodus continued to give a significant con- tribution to Deep Silver’s revenue in the quarter, as well as other notable back catalog titles such as Kingdom Come Deliverance and Outward."

Comment from presentation

Core fans were were happy with Shenmue 3. We are happy we pleased them. Shenmue 3 is not a triple A mass product

Little summery.

Shenmue III was the notable release. Glad it pleased the fans but it's clear it's not a AAA IP. Interesting comments given the written report is much more positive.

I think the problem is that people are reading the report in a too wishful thinking way, the same way they were reading Gamestat report in a too negative way.

Shenmue 3 being the main revenue driver in their last quarter was expected considering it might have been the only notable release from them. "Revenue" is the key word here. It's not sales unit. It's money generated. I saw people seeing that Metro Exodus got 204k more players on Gamestat. But it doesn't mean Shenmue 3 sold over 204k units. Not only because new players aren't necessary sales (it can be used copies too), but also because Shenmue can both generate more revenue than Metro Exodus while selling less.

If Shenmue 3 is a new release at 50-60 bucks, it can generate more revenue with 100k copies sold than Metro Exodus selling 200k copies at 10-20 dollars.

Hence why those speculations start on the wrong foot.

Also, another misconception. Lars didn't say "Shenmue 3 clearly isn't a AAA game" but "Shenmue 3 clearly isn't a mass market product" which is even worse because Deep Silver isn't a AAA publisher. The only title they published that can be considered AAA is Metro Exodus, and even that is stretching. They're used to AA and Eurojank releases. Them saying "It's not a mass market product" has another meaning to it.

Little summery.

I mean, I never thought S3 will be a runaway success, but how can they have the nerve to say that after their notorious EGS deal and little to no marketing

I would rather them say the actual sales figure, good or bad just so we have some solid clarity of what's going on.

Id say lets ask cedric, but im sure we'll still get mixed messages.

I would rather them say the actual sales figure, good or bad just so we have some solid clarity of what's going on.

Id say lets ask cedric, but im sure we'll still get mixed messages.

Cedric has no saying in those numbers. He's not the publisher.
Keep in mind that publishers wont shit their own results.
They wont say "Shenmue III sold bad". Because it'd be a bad look for them. It'd mean they made a bad decision.

But honestly, saying "I'm glad some fans liked it, but it's clear that Shenmue III isn't a mass market product" definitely means, to me, that sales weren't hot at all. It was a more or less polite way to say so. And while I know the report says "new releases performed in line" I cant insist enough that Shenmue III being the main revenue driver, following by a game called "Lets Sing 2020" is pretty much saying what I said before: These aren't incompatible with underperforming.

Correct, at least it didn't bomb, but Shenmue 4 looks unlikely damn.
Where did they say that? It's no more likely than unlikely after today.

It's done what it was asked and met expectations. We wont know more about the future for at least a year IMO.

Correct, at least it didn't bomb, but Shenmue 4 looks unlikely damn.

I wouldn't say Shenmue 4 looks unlikely. People often act like "well Shenmue II bombed so Shenmue III didnt happen" but Shenmue III not happening all those years had more to do with SEGA holding onto the IP and not wishing to do anything with it than anything else. Keep in mind that back then, you couldn't have an engine like UE4 and have small teams produce bigger scale games.

Shenmue IV can still happen. Especially since it can be built on a lot of things from III. But... It'll be a tough sell. And at maybe an even lower budget. Considering how budget hurt 3 in term of quality... I dont know where we're heading toward.

I wouldn't say Shenmue 4 looks unlikely. People often act like "well Shenmue II bombed so Shenmue III didnt happen" but Shenmue III not happening all those years had more to do with SEGA holding onto the IP and not wishing to do anything with it than anything else. Keep in mind that back then, you couldn't have an engine like UE4 and have small teams produce bigger scale games.

Shenmue IV can still happen. Especially since it can be built on a lot of things from III. But... It'll be a tough sell. And at maybe an even lower budget. Considering how budget hurt 3 in term of quality... I dont know where we're heading toward.
That's the biggest question. Is it a viable investment for a firm to make Shenmue 4 when its clear the fanbase are the likely driver in sales.

We wont know for a while but I'm glad this has lifted the Doom and gloom somewhat. Not that the gaming media will comment on that!

Back