Embracer Q3 Report Presentation @ 9AM CET (3AM EST) 19-2-2020/2-19-2020

Little summery.

Shenmue III was the notable release. Glad it pleased the fans but it's clear it's not a AAA IP. Interesting comments given the written report is much more positive.

@tomboz the Asia comment was another game
This is from the video thingy? I mean, I think that if they say that is not AAA IP is clear from the moment they sign in, it has not the production or budget of an AAA, does not sound that bad for me

I think Sega is the only potential partner at this point. DS doesn't sound too happy with it at this time, guess time will tell.

This is from the video thingy? I mean, I think that if they say that is not AAA IP is clear from the moment they sign in, it has not the production or budget of an AAA, does not sound that bad for me
Yeah it was

Yeah it's definitely better than last weeks news, and he's right that Shenmue is no AAA franchise, but we all knew that already.

It's going to come down to one of these I think
  • Embracer see Shenmue as a kind of prestige IP, so even if it breaks even or makes a small loss it's worth having to bolster their catalog. A bit like how movie studios will make smaller more prestige films not expecting to make lots of money. Those films are funded by profit from more mainstream fayre. We know that Embracer group is not hurting for cash.
  • They see potential for growth in the IP by injecting a bigger budger into it and giving them more time to develop it (see Biomutant). Away from Kickstarter, there is no deadline or angry people demanding to see footage shouting SCAM every 10 minutes, they can take the required time before anything is shown.
  • They step away from the project leaving YsNet / YS to seek a different investor. I think Cedric/Shibuya would be on board. I don't think they will find one, but seeing as how invested in Manga Cedric is, and with Yu previously stating a Manga could be on the cards as a way to wrap up this story, I think it's no coincidence they are partnered together.
It's just a wait and see game again at this point. But let's not wait too long this time ... the Iron won't stay hot for long.

I think Sega is the only potential partner at this point. DS doesn't sound too happy with it at this time, guess time will tell.

Of course DS isn't. Them partnering with Shenmue III was more due to half the game being funded by KS. But starting 4 from the begining is a tough sell for DS because they dont own the IP nor anything related to it.

I dont see SEGA going back to it either way. The budget they'd spend on it could go toward a Yakuza or Judgment game that'd sell better.

It's not what they said though iirc.
Lars said "It's not a mass market product" which is entirely different.

It's not what they said though iirc.
Lars said "It's not a mass market product" which is entirely different.
It isn't but surely anyone could see it's not a mass market product. It's as obvious as today is Wednesday lol

He's just reiterated "niche product and that's the challenge but financially its done fine." Says to me they would consider supporting the series going forward but with the right risk. Also the fact he said he loves it does help

Ambiguous but I'll take it

If didn't know that Shenmue was a niche product before coming on to board somebody at DS should be fire

Niche and mass market are terms that hold a different meaning from one to another.
DS isn't a AAA publisher. Niche and mass market dont mean the same in their mouth rather than EA.
500K sales for EA is niche. 500k sales for DS is a big success.

See where I'm getting at ?

Shenmue III is a game with a AA budget. It cant sell the same as a niche title and them hoping for half a million wasn't far fetched, even though if, IMO, they did their best to prevented that from happening.

It's not positive at all. Main revenue is because of the epic exclusivity money, the tons of special editions that they made and make a lot of money on and all the sold dlc money from the fans. I think 100,000 copies sold seems about right and maybe 20,000 more in it's lifetime. One thing is for sure and that is no shenmue 4 from deep silver, or sega.

It's not positive at all. Main revenue is because of the epic exclusivity money, the tons of special editions that they made and make a lot of money on and all the sold dlc money from the fans. I think 100,000 copies sold seems about right and maybe 20,000 more in it's lifetime. One thing is for sure and that is no shenmue 4 from deep silver, or sega.
Whether you like it or not that's smart business. All the collectors editions etc, that appeals to the fanbase. Smart business. I'd you've got a rabid fanbase who will buy everything you put out why not hammer the collectors editions? I know its exploring the fanbase but it makes sense from a business perspective

You're forgetting it met expectations. I want numbers in sales but we wont get those.

It's much more positive than the crap that was spewed last week but we're no closer to Shenmue 4 but also no further away.

Back