Games you kinda dislike that everyone else loves...?

I like Metroid but its lack of a map and reliance on false floors makes playing that game a nightmare unless you have a map on a second screen. Ah modern tech! Its a fun game when you do have that though I felt.

Funny thing about Oblivion is I remember Morrowind fans complaining about it being watered down as well, and after playing a bit of Morrowind I can understand the complaint, Morrowind really let you just get lost in the world while the later games became simpler in many ways. I never really got into it though, what with the bad combat and all (I really should stop playing Elder Scrolls games...)

I'd say GTA IV as well but there's plenty of blowback on that now. Its not so much I don't enjoy it, just don't agree that its worthy of the insanely high review scores it got, especially when it came to the story/characters (which I hated). Mafia has always schooled GTA on those aspects.

The Mario sports stuff seems bizarrely over rated to me - namely Tennis. Several people I know recommended the N64 version but I can't stand it, its just no fun what so ever. Virtua Tennis will always be the pinnacle of that series for me.

Likewise, I know they are highly rated but I just don't like any of the mainline Forza games, I've tried playing several but enjoyed none of them. Horizon though I really enjoy.

Oh, one last one - while I don't enjoy the Borderlands games myself due to the spongy feeling combat (much prefer Destiny) its Tales of the Borderlands praise that sorta confuses me. I enjoyed certain parts of the plot but other parts almost put me to sleep (literally, I could barely keep my eyes open), no other game has had quite the profound impact on me as some of the early chapters of this game had.

I tend to dislike a lot of the popular games. It's usually the most popular games that don't align with my tastes.

Let's start with the obvious one, Fortnite. Horrendous game, nothing special about it what so ever. For me, it's the most overrated game of all time.

COD, the entire series. Just a game that exists to make money these days. It's a series well past it's sell by date.

Battlefield. Same reasons as COD.

The Last of Us. It's a zombie game, and by the time this game was released, I was sick of zombies. I also find the story incredibly overrated. I feel this way about a lot of Sony's story driven single player games. All of these stories have the same kind of voice acting. I can't explain what it is, but they all sound really similar.

Life Is Strange. I don't hate this game, but I hate the characters and storyline. It's just teen angst and slow acoustic songs. Also, Chloe is one of the worst characters I have seen in any game.

I have plenty but I will mention just one and that would be Sonic Mania. I really do not understand the praise around a game that is just Sonic 3 and Knuckles spruced up with modern graphics. I don't think it's a bad game by any means, just overrated.

I agree with this. I feel like that people were just thirsty for a 2D sonic game that was made like this since the sonic fanbase for a long time hadn't gotten anything like it after Sega's golden era ended. I felt like I was playing a budgeted romhack that morphed into something that had remixed and original levels. Then again I think one of the main developers for it was a romhacker. Anyway, It's an okay game, but even then, I had not revisited the game ever sense I completed it. I just felt the urge to play the originals again after this.

This is just me though:

Halo: I don't get how it got popular? I felt there were better FPS out there than this. This felt shallow and I was extremely bored with it quickly.

Super Metroid: Tried playing this a few times. Kept getting bored and quit. The one GBA game, Metroid Fusion, was much better IMO, but I had not finished that one yet. It's odd since the most time I spend playing a metroid game was II for the GB. I nearly got close to the end of that game (05 bosses left I think), but had to give it back since I was borrowing the Gameboy and game at the time. I can't go back to II though. Had no idea how I was able to play it as long as I did. Did everything I could to find batteries every 8 hours to keep going. Sacrificed TV remote batteries too.

Call of Duty: Boring. Played this with someone for a few hours, and it was just boring. It was the only thing to do around the house since that was one of the few games he had that was worth playing, but that isn't saying much.

Smash Series: Maybe because I'm not a big Nintendo fan nor I'm a character fanboy for lack of a better term since I hear people talk about character inclusions all the damn time, but it feels like a glorified party game to me. I tired playing a few of the games for a few hours, and I just don't get why people go insane over it. I never heard a single bad thing said about this franchise from anyone really.

I think most popular games in general I'm not fond out, some are fine though, but many not. It is more to do with it not being of my taste than it is bad to me. Like Dark Souls, many hardcore gamers love the shit out of it since many are masochists with a lot of time on their hands when it comes to game diffuclty who are also the same ones who complain about games being too easy these days, but games like that are not my thing at all for example. At one point I honestly felt like gaming has passed me up because of all of this, but it looks like there are some stuff for me from time to time, but this is why I stick to older games since there no shortage of those at least.

I agree with this. I feel like that people were just thirsty for a 2D sonic game that was made like this since the sonic fanbase for a long time hadn't gotten anything like it after Sega's golden era ended. I felt like I was playing a budgeted romhack that morphed into something that had remixed and original levels. Then again I think one of the main developers for it was a romhacker. Anyway, It's an okay game, but even then, I had not revisited the game ever sense I completed it. I just felt the urge to play the originals again after this.

I like Sonic Mania, but no 2D Sonic game beats Sonic 2.

Sonic Mania is fun, but the bonus levels are horrible. I never liked the sphere levels in Sonic 3 & Knuckles and I don't like them in this game either.

I like Sonic Mania, but no 2D Sonic game beats Sonic 2.

3 & Knuckles would like to have a word.

There is no way 2 is better than 3 (graphics are worse, music is worse {well, that's subjective and 2 has great tunes, but...}, gameplay is worse, level design is more mundane and simple, etc.) , save for Multiplayer and the sphere levels are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the race track.

2 is almost literally 1 with spin-dash added, multiplayer added and better music. That's it. Sonic looks the same and has the same animation, even.

Anyways, Sonic CD is better than 2 as well, I feel ;)

Mania > CD > 2 > 3&K > 1

FACT

Zelda

Only ever been intrigued by the Gamecube games, and being less-than-casual fan, the long-winded sailing of Wind Waker turned me off--pun intended. Still need to give Twilight Princess a chance.

Honorable mention: been interested by Majora as well, it is a cool sounding concept, but despise N64s butt-ugly smudge lens gfx (all games seem so flat; literally opposite of Sega textures, everything seems like a 64-bit Virtua Racing, yet also without Sega color palette). I'll never have an N64 unless I get one for free with the expansion pak included and s-video cables. Only way the system looks decent.

Last edited:
Halo: I don't get how it got popular? I felt there were better FPS out there than this. This felt shallow and I was extremely bored with it quickly.

Smash Series: Maybe because I'm not a big Nintendo fan nor I'm a character fanboy for lack of a better term since I hear people talk about character inclusions all the damn time, but it feels like a glorified party game to me. I tired playing a few of the games for a few hours, and I just don't get why people go insane over it. I never heard a single bad thing said about this franchise from anyone really.

I tried to get into Halo around the time of Halo 3...I for the love of me couldn't figure out why it was so beloved. I can't say I hated my time with Halo...but I just didn't get the appeal...at all. I still think it's the multiplayer factor. Everyone I know who talks fondly of that series talks fondly of the multiplayer more so than the single player.

And very much agree with Smash. I honestly don't get the appeal. Especially after coming from the superior Power Stone. I still want an actual Mascot fighter...as in traditional one on one mascot fighter. Like a Nintendo version of Sonic the Fighters.

Only Halo I enjoy is the original precisely because it was developed as a story-driven single player FPS like Half Life. If i'm going to play a multiplayer focus FPS game, I'll stick with Quake 3 as I have for near 20 years.

Get off my lawn!

I started with Halo 3 and think I’ve played every one so far except Wars 2, though I’ve since sold my Xbox One since 5 was a disappointment and there weren’t any other exclusives I had much interest in. And I don’t see myself enjoying the series with the direction it’s headed.

I suppose with 3 what I enjoyed most was having friends to play custom games with. Got a bit more into the general multiplayer with Reach and 4 but never got really good at it. The first two games I feel definitely have decent enough campaigns, but I feel the rest of the series rarely delivers on all the other aspects it builds up like the lore and characters and art direction and ideas - it always feels like we’re getting just a small taste of a bigger world. The best parts of Reach imo were early on and getting glimpses of what life was like on the planet, but it didn’t last.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - Pretty much everything I dislike about modern games. It’s this massive, empty overworld where you are constantly guided from point A to point B. The actual gameplay is nonexistent due to gunplay that feels like it’s straight out of a 1995 FMV game and the missions nearly all share the same structure. The story is totally overrated and barely makes sense considering you’re able to run around shooting whoever you want, yet we’re meant to believe this character could possibly have a conscience. It’s overloaded with half-baked systems and ideas that contribute nothing to the actual game, but are fodder for trophy hunting completists.

Yet somehow I hate myself so much I forced myself to play it through the epilogue...

NiOH - I don’t have time to “git gud” anymore, so I abandoned this game after about five hours. I just don’t find dying over and over again fun like I did when I was a kid, although it’s nice not to hit a game over screen and to get unlimited continues now. I didn’t find this game very appealing aesthetically either, so it really offered me nothing.

SOTC - I respect that they’re doing something different, but I don’t find the gameplay interesting. The boss battles are simplistic and easy. When they’re not easy it’s because I’m fighting the controls and the camera. I’d like to say I dig the atmosphere, but I feel like the game isn’t really set up to take advantage of the world they’ve built or to encourage exploration. Riding the horse isn’t fun and the camera sucks.

I owned the remaster for the PS3 and found it disappointing. Somehow, I forgot how far I got in the PS3 game when the new port came out and got swept up in the hype. I kept asking myself why every boss felt similar and then I finally looked up my old SOTC PS3 file and realized I’d basically played everything other than the final two bosses. What a drag that experience was...

Last edited:
I could second a lot of that stuff: Halo, GTA, Call of Duty.

I don't go ga-ga over Zelda, but I don't dislike it either (and I'm really curious to try Breath of the Wild).

I will, however, go with Final Fantasy XIV (and I mean the much-loved A Realm Reborn, not the universally-despised original release). I liked FFXI quite a bit, and I really, really wanted to love XIV. I spent a LOT of time with vanilla XIV in hopes of ARR being good and because of the goodwill XI earned, and ARR was just... eh to me. I've played up through a good chunk of the latest expansion still hoping to be hooked, and it just doesn't work for me.

It's like... too single player focused to be a truly great (not just good) MMO. The menus are still clunky, the vast majority of cutscenes are stilted and filled with canned animations, the combat is somewhat fun but nothing new or special, and the inventory is still a complete, utter mess--heck, in far too many regards the game in general disregards more than a decade of MMO quality-of-life advancements.

Yet, it's too much of an MMO to be a good single player experience. Vast swaths of storyline are stretched out to fit the expected length of an MMO grind, turning potentially interesting stories into slogs full of the aforementioned awkward cutscenes. To progress in anything, the main quest typically needs to be done in it's incredibly rigid, linear fashion, making it a pain to join friends at higher levels, or even play together at the same level. Half of the main quest combat is done in solo instances, ruining the fun of leveling together, and then the other half is suddenly mandatory 4-10 person dungeons and raids that must be done to advance.

Unlike many other MMOs, you're not allowed to join everyone in the newest content, and you're not given chances to skip ahead at no cost. In a painfully blatant cash-grab fashion, your only option is to pay something like $20 to skip the questline of the base game and each expansion, totalling $80 just to reach the current content--and it's another $10 I believe to max out your job's level, meaning nearly triple digits after box price just to join your buddies!

The general consensus even amongst the most die hard of fans is that it's a very difficult game to recommend simply because it will take new players months to catch up to their friends.

It's a game that's somehow less than the sum of it's parts, because the two competing design philosophies subtract from each other. I want to love it so, so badly--it's beautiful, it's Final Fantasy, it's a chance to adventure with my friends in the world of Final Fantasy, and yet... I just find more often than not that I'm frustrated by the experience.

Oh, hey, I should stop myself before I go on a rant or something! :tearsofjoy:

Last edited:
Breath of the wild. A giant world doesn't compensate for dreary npc's, repetitive enemies, boring fetch and carry sidequests and an awful story. A game that seems incredible for the first 10 hours until the novelty of exploration wears off. If more areas of the game were as fun as Hyrule castle, I might have changed my mind.

Every GTA since the very first on the PS1 and RDR 1 and 2. Maybe its a Rockstar thing for me. I have just found the gameplay so boring in all of these games. I'm really not sure why so many people love them so much. Must be the killing and prostitutes, right? Over my head I guess. Drive here, drive there, shoot things.
Ride here, ride there, shoot things. Great!

The Witcher 3. Now to be honest I can't really have an opinion on it as I have never got further than 3-4hrs into it. I have tried 3 or 4 separate times to play this game but I always get to the same point and give up. What am I missing guys? What's wrong with me? Why am I not seeing this amazing game everyone talks about? It HAS to be there but I'm still trying to find it. I just get (dare I say it)...bored. I played, completed and enjoyed The Witcher 2 on 360.

Dark Souls or the like - I tried the first one, but spending too much time in one area annoys me. I don't have all the time to invest in the same game unless it grabs me. I'm not really into dying all the time.
What I can say about these games is that I can see why people like them, but I can also see why I don't like them. And that's cool.

Mass Effect 2. I LOVED Mass Effect 1. Thought it was brilliant. Don't get me wrong, I liked 2, but you could feel the EA influence almost straight away. Very sad.

Final Fantasy 10. After FF7 and 8 blew me away, made me a huge FF fan and introduced me to the world of RPGs, I bought a PS2 for this game. I sold the PS2 about 2 weeks later. What had Final Fantasy become? Unfortunately I have had the same negative feelings towards every FF since then, though I am looking forward to FF7R. Massively.

I tried to get into Halo around the time of Halo 3...I for the love of me couldn't figure out why it was so beloved. I can't say I hated my time with Halo...but I just didn't get the appeal...at all. I still think it's the multiplayer factor. Everyone I know who talks fondly of that series talks fondly of the multiplayer more so than the single player.

Halo fan here. Have been since I played CE on the Xbox before the console was launched. I was blown away by CE. It looked stunning. Played amazingly well and the environments were perfect. I bought the Xbox on launch because of Halo. I loved the story, the gameplay, the mystery. Probably helps that I'm into space and other worldly shit though.

Halo 2. Disappointing campaign. Especially after seeing the amazing E3 2003 gameplay demo that they had to scrap. Unfortunately the Halo 2 we got never lived up to that demo for me.

Halo 3. Loved it. Still not quite as much as CE though.

Halo 5....now that actually makes me wonder why I still believe Halo is one of my favourite game franchises. Ugh. I can usually replay any Halo game but 5? Can't stand it.

Halo Infinite? It makes me excited for Halo again. I hope it works. I love the universe and the potential stories this franchise can tell.

Note: Am not into Halo multiplayer. Only time I was was Halo CE system link with friends.

Last edited:
It's all about Italia '90 on the Mega Drive. You could just run away from the ref to avoid a booking!

Until Dawn (PS4)

"It's an experience you can't resist!" declared GameSpot. So there I was in 2015, popping the disc into my PS4 thinking "Yay! This is gonna be epic because everyone else is always right!"

Those shrieking slasher-bait teenagers were literally some of the most insufferable characters I have ever encountered in a video game. So instead of rooting for them all to survive, I was purposefully losing every Heavy Rain-style QTE session so they'd all fucking shut up.

Back