General RGG Discussion

Any news about the US release? I suppose it might already take a lot longer than those before it due to the gargantuan amount of content but now also covid...just trying to budget depending on how long I’m out of work. I guess it may not matter if this doesn’t even release until next year.

Started Kiwami 2. Gotta say the combat seems like a massive step down compared to Kiwami and 0, but I’ve just started.

Last edited:
I completed Yakuza 0 on Friday. Did enjoy the game after a bit of a slow start. I purchased it some time back after competing Kiwami. Problem with not playing a Yakuza game before and having the entire series to catch up on is, for me anyway, jumping straight into another game can feel like a major chore. I rushed through Yakuza 0; never did a single side quest, purchase any weapons, armour etc. in fact, the only thing I did purchase was health items. Completely skipped the whole property management piece also.

With Kiwami, I spent some time with that and developed my characters skills to the max. Just couldn't be bothered to do it all again. I also felt there was a lot of useless text, similar to Persona 5, and I find myself skipping through text or scenes with minor characters that you knew served little to the story. Apart from that, I enjoyed it but will give it some time before buying Kiwami 2.

One thing that I thought could have been done better is Majima's decent into "madness". Almost a carbon copy of Kiryu when the game first starts. I genuinely thought he turn into the "mad dog" was going to be down to him getting a significant head injury or killing someone.

Car chase in Kiwami nearly drove me mad. At least I didn’t play it on Extreme, where you need to complete the Chinese restaurant sequence every time you lose the car chase! That would’ve driven me into a blind range. I’m glad I’m not a trophy hunter. Pretty pleased I completed the Colisseum; you’re pretty much unbeatable once you’ve got the Tiger Drop. Komaki is def. the toughest guy in the colisseum.

I’ve seen lots of people say Kiwami is barebones compared to Zero. Well compared to most games Kiwami is still a ten course meal. The content goes on forever.

That car chase is actually why I haven’t touched the game since last time I picked it up. It’s also part of reason why I just don’t like Kiwami compared to 0 and Kiwami 2.

Well I just sank money on a new gaming monitor for PC capable of 144hz...so I will be mighty curious to check out those Yakuza PC ports running at high frame rates in the coming days :D

I have both Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami 2 sitting in my Steam library so will be very curious to see them both running 60+ fps. Kiwami 2 at 60fps looks good as is but yeah, will be curious to see it running potentially higher.

I've actually never seen high frame rate gaming before so I really am curious to see some of my Steam library in a new way.

That car chase is actually why I haven’t touched the game since last time I picked it up. It’s also part of reason why I just don’t like Kiwami compared to 0 and Kiwami 2.
Yeah, it’s tough. The second to last boss battle is almost as bad. That said, I nearly enjoyed the game as much as I enjoyed Yakuza 0.

Idk why everybody hate Kiwami 2. I mean the story it's kinda fucked up and at the end I felt like I was watching a movie of Michael Bay but eh, it's alright, I guess... It's still better than Watch dogs :ROFLMAO:

Seems like I'm in the minority regarding Kiwami 2. Took a look at a couple forums and nearly everyone thinks Kiwami 2 is way better than Kiwami 1. I've only played for four hours, so I am not ready to make any kind of final judgment on it. With two distinct areas to explore, I'd be a fool to do so... So far I just find the combat inferior to Kiwami 1, but it's possible I got too used to Kiwami 1's combat after playing the game for nearly 80 hours (and also playing 0 for about as much time). The combat also feels different than it does in in Judgment l, though, and I'm not sure why; aren't they based on the same engine?

The animation also seems a bit weird, like I'm watching everyone move in slow motion or something. I'm also not fond of the skill menus! They seem way too complicated compared to the simple presentation in 0 and Kiwami 1. Again, it could just be me getting adjusted to something completely different. I also feel like the mini-map looks WAY Too busy. Do I really need to see pedestrians all over the map!?

Last edited:
Idk why everybody hate Kiwami 2. I mean the story it's kinda fucked up and at the end I felt like I was watching a movie of Michael Bay but eh, it's alright, I guess... It's still better than Watch dogs :ROFLMAO:

Kiwami 2 is a better game, no doubt (from top to bottom).

It has a significantly worse-written story and a lot of redundancies, in a series that already has a ton of redundant things to do anyways lol.

MJQ's comment about the combat, may be due to the fact that it is a Dragon Engine game and they were still working out the kinks (plus, there's only one combat style, not 3 like in Kiwami and {which I wasn't a fan of, btw, considering I stuck to the same one throughout} and 4 in 0).

As mentioned, 2 has been beloved to death since it came out on the PS2 and that has never changed.

I always stuck to one style in 0 and Kiwami too. I would usually switch it up when playing as Majima in 0, but mainly stuck with Brawler style with Kiryu. I loved how that particular style animated. While I liked the option of having the variety, I didn’t like how the separate styles never really meant anything to the narrative or the character outside of a gameplay perspective. That’s just me though. I’m a real stickler for playing games a certain way, especially narrative-heavy ones. This is the reason why I never changed Ryo’s clothes in Shenmue III.

I like style switching. It’s sort of like finding the right move for Mega Man bosses. By the end you end up doing all Dragon of Dojima moves, though

The rag doll effect in Kiwami 2 is also a bit over the top.

But I’m digging the game the more I play it.

I think I dug the first Kiwami because it pretty much feels like a continuation of 0. Maybe a little less robust, but similar.

Last edited:
I fell in love with the Yakuza series about two years ago. Played through 0 and the Kiwami remakes and they blew me away! Yesterday I finished Yakuza 3 for the first time and, despite some unresolved and questionable plot points, I think it’s a great entry in the series. Being the first “modern-era” Yakuza game and not having much of a great reputation over the internet, I seriously expected it to be a train wreck, but was pleased to see it’s just as wholesome as I wanted it to be. Granted, the combat system is repetitive and at times frustrating, but the rest is pretty solid for a 2009 game.

The best part of the game has to be the beginning of the game. Contrary to the other Yakuza games I’ve played so far, it starts very slow-paced and in a brand-new location for the series, which was very refreshing to see. Also, Kiryu being finally portrayed happy with his new family is really heartwarming and reveals a side of him that had been teased many times in the past and that gets finally realized.

I’ll stop here because otherwise I would spoil the whole game and that wouldn’t be fair for those who are yet to play it. Yakuza 3 can’t really compare to Yakuza 0 or the Kiwami remakes for obvious reasons, but I feel is still well worth the time invested and it would of course be foolish to skip it.

Just about to start Yakuza 5. It was the first game i put over 100 hours in...God help me!

Not counting Judgment and the PS2 originals, I think my favourites are as thus: 0 > 6 > 5 > K2 > 4 > K1 > 3

0 is probably 1st as I just love the 80's aesthetic. 6 is one of the few games to make me cry (or close to it). The scope of 5 is incredible (and playing as Haruka is fun!) and K2 has a great story (I like the love story plot).

I still think Yakuza 3 is a good game even if it is the weakest in my opinion. That said, there's no such thing as a bad Yakuza game. One thing I think 3 was great that the others falter is the character description. It was done in a family tree sort of way which was fun to read after every chapter to see all the changes that have happened. It would be nice if the game would tell you of updates as it can change quite often. Yakuza 4 could've done with it as the story got pretty complex after a while!

Can’t believe I’m about to get sucked into Cabaret stuff again... I can’t stop myself once I start. So addictive.

Just about to start Yakuza 5. It was the first game i put over 100 hours in...God help me!

Not counting Judgment and the PS2 originals, I think my favourites are as thus: 0 > 6 > 5 > K2 > 4 > K1 > 3

0 is probably 1st as I just love the 80's aesthetic. 6 is one of the few games to make me cry (or close to it). The scope of 5 is incredible (and playing as Haruka is fun!) and K2 has a great story (I like the love story plot).

I still think Yakuza 3 is a good game even if it is the weakest in my opinion. That said, there's no such thing as a bad Yakuza game. One thing I think 3 was great that the others falter is the character description. It was done in a family tree sort of way which was fun to read after every chapter to see all the changes that have happened. It would be nice if the game would tell you of updates as it can change quite often. Yakuza 4 could've done with it as the story got pretty complex after a while!

That's what I've always said.

Even DS, which is probably the worst title in the entire series, is an 8/10 game.

None of these are bad titles.

Tried to google it but only old articles came up. Does Y7 have a Western release date yet?

No.

Getting the urge to go back to Yakuza 4. Maybe after I'm done with Final Fantasy VII Remake. I've had a bit of a break since Yakuza 7 and am getting ready to jump back into this world once again. So maybe after VII Remake I might finally start Yakuza 4 on PS4

Back