General RGG Discussion

I've noticed some of you have imported Yakuza 7 and are really enjoying it I believe. I plan on buying the english release as it looks like a breath of fresh air as they have made great changes to the combat and locations for a change. I think they are getting done with localizing it for the west and my guess is it will be available by at least the end of this year.

I should note that I haven't actually beat Yakuza 0 but I did play around for a couple of hours and didn't want to invest myself after being completely burnt out by Kiwami 1&2, 3 and 6.

As mentioned, I feel it's the best game in the series to date.

The story is a touch wonky at times, but it never falls off the rails and things are done VERY well, with all loose-ends tied up and looked after.

Combat is brilliant, substories are superb and the dungeon implementation is just top-notch.

Been playing through Yakuza 3 Remastered. I forgot how much of a bitch that boss fight with Kanda was. I beat him, but man was it annoying. Still really like his character though, and the overall story is much more enjoyable than I remembered.

Made it to chapter 5 in Kiwami 2. The cabaret pretty much ate up 5-8 hours of my playtime. I still have another tournament to do. Seems you don't really get much for completing the cabaret, though--aside from tons of money? Definitely enjoying myself, but I'm going to continue being an oddball and say I prefer the combat in the first Kiwami. I really love switching styles. The Kiwami 2 move set feels so limited compared to that. Maybe I'm just upset I don't have the Tiger Drop anymore. I'm just about to head to Purgatory to meet Majima...

The song that plays when youā€™re dressing them up and the fact I kind of like it is the thing that really makes me feel a bit uncomfortable around my wife. ..

Drinkin' up all the wines...

lol, can't find the lyrics to, "As you Like," anywhere (everything's blocked), but perhaps they're in this thread somewhere?

I just noticed last night that one of the hostesses in Yakuza 3 is actually in Kiwami 2. I canā€™t remember if this happened with the original Yakuza 2. I tried looking it up by searching with the name of the hostess, but...all I got were links to...a certain Hub. Guess Iā€™m done searching online on my TV in the living room for a while.

They connect many of the girls together and keep continuity.

One of the hostesses from 0, for example (Kirara), returns in Kiwami 2.

TECHNICALLY, a retcon, but they made it work!

I have to wonder when will we start hearing more about the English version of Yakuza 7? I know with CoVID, it's probably fucked at least some plans, but I would have thought we would have at least heard something more by now regarding Yakuza 7 in the west. Maybe June? Even though there is no E3, I got to assume at least some companies will drop new info on games around June anyways.

Well, it's part of the Yakuza world
But it is too much. I am in the final episode now. My idea of the game was like "ok, this is a spin off" but using the example of Dick Wolf universe, I was expecting same universe but unique elements, like when comparing Law & Order and Chicago PD/Fire/MD series, but it is like just a minor Law & Order mini series (and I love that universe but I was expecting something different). I also, I think that when a game is only Kamurocho based I have a lot of troubles because I am tired of the repetitive location. Is not a terrible game, but for me it is like a 6/10. Also, I don't like the new mechanics nor the dron :(, I just want to finish it and jump to Yakuza 3

I always kind of liked the fact that the hostesses weren't just T&A. They actually have personality and it's more about the social dynamic of flirting and what not then it necessarily is just raw sexual gratification. Compare it to the strip clubs of GTA where those establishments are simply nothing more than pure sexual gratification. I kind of liked the way Yakuza focuses more on the personality of the girls than just being about the sexual gratification.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a Anti-Sex Prude...I have ZERO problems with the strip clubs in GTA :D Don't mistake this for some moral crusade (because it ain't)

But I just liked the difference in presentation. Granted, I know host clubs in Japan aren't always necessarily just about sex, it's rather more about fantasy than anything else.

I just started my second play through. I think I mentioned this in the Yakuza thread, but I found Judgementā€™s story to be better than almost anything in the Yakuza series. Maybe it was the new characters, but I was genuinely hooked on the story after the mid-point (although I was getting bored and frustrated with it before that). I noticed this by going back and forth between this and Kiwami 2. Iā€™m just really tired of the whole ā€œbad guy revealing his ultimate plan and connecting all the plot points in eye-rolling ways while holding Kiryu at gunpoint, only for ten more twists to happen in THE SAME FUCKING CUTSCENEā€ thing. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a moment or two like this that happen in Judgement, but I think the overall story is just told much better and more convincingly. Yakuza will always be one of my favorite series, but I think with me it was always like the good outweighs the bad in the individual games (great gameplay vs. so-so narrative). I agree that Judgementā€™s setting is a little boring and the newer stuff like the drone activities arenā€™t fun, but Iā€™m honestly much more satisfied with it as an overall package than I thought I would be.

I just started Chapter 14 in Kiwami 2 and that caused me to go on a little rant in the Judgement topic, comparing how the stories are told in the two games. Kiwami 2 is my favorite Yakuza game, just barely surpassing Yakuza 0 for me. However, for me at least, I think Judgement surpasses both of them (but just barely).

Iā€™ve come to realize that the Dragon engine and my nostalgia for the PS2 original are the reasons why Kiwami 2 is tops with me. The more I play the game though, the more frustrated I get with the narrative, which I now see as being borderline terrible. Thinking further, If Yakuza 2 were remade with the same engine as 0 and Kiwami, then I most likely wouldnā€™t care for it as much as I do, which is strange because I love 0 but REALLY donā€™t care for Kiwami.

On the other hand, Yakuza 0 has my favorite story and narrative of the series, and I love the gameplay (and the soundtrack and the fact that fucking Riki Takeuchi and Hitoshi Ozawa are in it), but I think Iā€™ve been too spoiled by the Dragon engine to enjoy it the way I used to. And despite Yakuza 6 being the first to use the Dragon engine, it just didnā€™t leave an impression on me, which is why Iā€™m really ā€œmehā€ about it.

On the other other hand, I feel Judgement just handles everything better overall. The story itself I guess isnā€™t really interesting, but it was told very well. This is the complete opposite of Kiwami 2. A bad or uninteresting story can still unfold in a compelling way, and that more than makes up for the story itself. The same goes the other way. Iā€™m still a fan of Kiwami 2ā€™s story, but the way itā€™s handled is just so fucking stupid that I had to come to this epiphany. Plus, Iā€™ve got a stupid amount of time on my hands. And then you got something like Shenmue III where there was both barely any story and it was told poorly.

So in conclusion, if for some reason Yakuza 0 got remade with the Dragon engine, that would cancel out everything I just wrote above and make everything right in my world. Thank you, and goodnight.

Definitely strong opinions on that, but I can agree with the Kiwami 2 complaints lol.

You don't feel Judge Eyes' story to be interesting? Different strokes for different folks; I found it to be a gripping crime-drama, both excellent in content in execution.

I still don't find 0's story to be that great; it has a fantastic group of characters, but some of them are not effectively-used (I feel) and Majima's entire story is not that stellar... but it tugs at your heart strings (like 2's story does), hence why people go nuts for it.

I find Kiryu's story in 0 to be much better.

Back