General RGG Discussion

Yakuza 3 is my least favorite. The story is...laughable.

No it's not; you just don't like it. ;)

You do realize that something like that was ACTUALLY happening in Japan at that time, right? (the resort/military base thing).

From a writing and execution standpoint, 3 is arguably the best in the series and it is definitely top 3, objectively-speaking.

I just started my second play through. I think I mentioned this in the Yakuza thread, but I found Judgementā€™s story to be better than almost anything in the Yakuza series. Maybe it was the new characters, but I was genuinely hooked on the story after the mid-point (although I was getting bored and frustrated with it before that). I noticed this by going back and forth between this and Kiwami 2. Iā€™m just really tired of the whole ā€œbad guy revealing his ultimate plan and connecting all the plot points in eye-rolling ways while holding Kiryu at gunpoint, only for ten more twists to happen in THE SAME FUCKING CUTSCENEā€ thing. Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a moment or two like this that happen in Judgement, but I think the overall story is just told much better and more convincingly. Yakuza will always be one of my favorite series, but I think with me it was always like the good outweighs the bad in the individual games (great gameplay vs. so-so narrative). I agree that Judgementā€™s setting is a little boring and the newer stuff like the drone activities arenā€™t fun, but Iā€™m honestly much more satisfied with it as an overall package than I thought I would be.

THANK YOU!

Damn-stupid writing and even worse execution, of said writing.

Plus, Kiryu is a stoic BOSS; he doesn't use guns (Christ, they have him mention in almost every game, that he can't stand them) and he most certainly doesn't cry out people's names when they are shot, causing him to be distracted and get shot himself.

Save that shitty writing for a run of the mill story; don't do that to Kiryu.

Damn Seishu...

Yeah, I guess when it comes to story, Iā€™m not too particular. In general, gangster stories always get my blood flowing. From there, itā€™s all about the execution. But stories about conspiracies, government corruption, and mysteries in general donā€™t really interest me. Thatā€™s why the whole Okinawa resort/military base angle in Yakuza 3 never held my attention the first time I played it. The execution of said stories though can make it up for me, and thatā€™s what Judgement did.

And Iā€™ll agree about 0ā€™s story. I couldā€™ve gone without the whole Tachibana thing all together and really just keep things simpler. But I just really liked the fact that it was a prequel that focused on both Kiryu and Majima. From there, the story couldā€™ve been told poorly and I most likely still wouldā€™ve held it in high regard just because of its characters and prequel status.

You do realize that something like that was ACTUALLY happening in Japan at that time, right? (the resort/military base thing).

From a writing and execution standpoint, 3 is arguably the best in the series and it is definitely top 3, objectively-speaking.

THANK YOU!

Damn-stupid writing and even worse execution, of said writing.

Plus, Kiryu is a stoic BOSS; he doesn't use guns (Christ, they have him mention in almost every game, that he can't stand them) and he most certainly doesn't cry out people's names when they are shot, causing him to be distracted and get shot himself.

Save that shitty writing for a run of the mill story; don't do that to Kiryu.

Damn Seishu...
I was talking more about the Kazama twin/CIA stuff. I read the summary here about what I assume you meant? https://fas.org/sgp/crs/natsec/R42645.pdf

I can't remember much about the details there of 3's story, just the gist of it. But even if the main base/resort stuff is realish, having the yakuza get involved....ugh.

I'm laughing because it happened AGAIN!!!!!! lol

The one I was talking about is the Adelstein article, unless I'm completely mis-remembering....

I'm so confused. What happened again? Yakuza getting involved? What Adelstein article?

I need to post it on my home laptop, as it's blocked on my work laptop (which I'm on right now).

EDIT*: @24Nathan here's the site: https://boingboing.net/2010/08/10/yakuza-3-review.html

My home laptop is... partially broken (will try and fix it today), but I'm at least able to retrieve the URL.

Towards the end, one of the Yakuza says,

The whole plot point about the resort expansion in Okinawa and the CIA and the politicians involved and all that? Wow. That game came out last year, right. That's totally happening in Okinawa right now!

Thus, when I said it happened AGAIN lol, it happened back in 2009 and the one you posted in 2016.

One of the Yakuza indeed admits though, that the CIA getting involved is a bit nutty lol

Last edited:
I always kind of liked the fact that the hostesses weren't just T&A. They actually have personality and it's more about the social dynamic of flirting and what not then it necessarily is just raw sexual gratification. Compare it to the strip clubs of GTA where those establishments are simply nothing more than pure sexual gratification. I kind of liked the way Yakuza focuses more on the personality of the girls than just being about the sexual gratification.

Don't get me wrong, I'm NOT a Anti-Sex Prude...I have ZERO problems with the strip clubs in GTA :D Don't mistake this for some moral crusade (because it ain't)

But I just liked the difference in presentation. Granted, I know host clubs in Japan aren't always necessarily just about sex, it's rather more about fantasy than anything else.

That's pretty how they are in real life. I've only been to a hostess club once 10 years ago and it was when I was living in Hiroshima at the time. Hostess clubs aren't really sexual services though they tend to look that way. You're just there to have a good time with a pretty girl who is willing to put up with your bullshit.

But it is too much. I am in the final episode now. My idea of the game was like "ok, this is a spin off" but using the example of Dick Wolf universe, I was expecting same universe but unique elements, like when comparing Law & Order and Chicago PD/Fire/MD series, but it is like just a minor Law & Order mini series (and I love that universe but I was expecting something different). I also, I think that when a game is only Kamurocho based I have a lot of troubles because I am tired of the repetitive location. Is not a terrible game, but for me it is like a 6/10. Also, I don't like the new mechanics nor the dron :(, I just want to finish it and jump to Yakuza 3

I get what you're saying. I think a sequel will expand where Yagami will go next. I think using Kamurocho, Yagami's hometown, was a good setting to establish the character and give a different perspective. I'm sure a sequel will use more locations such as Osaka or Yokohama, or give us something new to work with at some point. I think Kamurocho worked for what it does IMHO.

I barely moved to Japan right when the Democratic Party of Japan took power and the Okinawa bases were an issue. Yakuza does a great job of implementing current events domestic current events in its games. I feel Judgment and 7 do a great job of this as well.

I like how in 6, there is a mini game that makes reference to the "Ore Ore" scam. I trained with a guy at an MMA gym who got arrested for doing that stupid ass shit.

Finally completed the main story. After that, disc removed and back to the shelf. It is the first time that I do that in a RGG Studio game, only at 30% Trophies.

I will probably buy a potential sequel if it is not only set in Kamurocho and the plot is less yakuza oriented. It is a pitty, because I thought that this one would be one of my favourites one, and I know that is a problem that I have with the game, but it is my least so far. Also, I don't feel any sympathy with the characters.

Let's hope I like the next one, but I think Nagoshi should leave some room for other people in RGG story department at some point.

Still no sign of a Fist of the North Star, Judgment or Yakuza 3-6 PC version
and no details for a western Yakuza 7 release. I guess Sega wanted to promote the new Sakura Wars game first,
which is out now. (some of the Yakuza translators worked on that game too)
Lets see what comes next.

Iā€™m having a hard time with the Bouncer missions in Kiwami 2. I keep getting my ass kicked by that Gimp.

Not sure how I feel about the Clan Creator. Itā€™s got that addictive ā€œjust one moreā€ feeling the cabaret has, but I hate it when Iā€™ve got to do more than eight or nine waves. Just feels endless. The victory song makes it all worth it.

Christ, I was just about to post about both the Bouncer missions and Clan Creator. I never really bothered with either one on my first two play throughs, but I think this quarantine is forcing me to do so. If youā€™re having trouble with the gimp, then the last two missions are gonna drive you crazy. I just beat the second to last one a few minutes ago, and I canā€™t remember the last time I wanted to throw my controller at the TV. The last time was most likely fighting a few of the trash bosses from the original Yakuza way back when.

As for the Clan Creator, I really didnā€™t care for it in Yakuza 6 and thought it was a stupid inclusion, even if itā€™s practically entirely optional. Then I sat down and beat the story missions for this mode in Kiwami 2 last night. I had a decent time with it. I mostly played through it just for the Completion List. Itā€™s good to have the option available to play this. Donā€™t know if Iā€™d sit through it again though.

I'm fine with pretty much every side mission and mini game stuff BUT
pretty much all of these optional games are way way too long for my taste.
I have fun with it for like 3, 6, 8 hours and then i'm like: okay, i saw everything, can we move on?
But the games are like: nope, you only finished 25%.
Clan creator, bouncer, toy car races, cabaret manager, ... all of them are at least 50% too long for my taste.
Do we really need like 40 Yakuza 6 clan creator missions or 30 Kiwami 2 bouncer missions?
Same for Yakuza 3 and the cabaret girls, where you have to do the same basic strategy again and again and again.
Its fun two times but not five times. I really like these little storylines they have in these minigames
but its a shame they feel the need to bury them under 20 hours of grind gameplay.

Btw the new Sega Sakura Wars was also translated into french, german, spanish and english.
Its the first Sakura Wars game ever that was translated into so many languages.
So with Persona 5 Royale, Judgment and Sakura Wars
i think chances are really high that we will get the same options in Yakuza 7.

I finally finished all the side stories and the Purgatory battles in Kiwami 2, as well as the Battle Skills in the Completion List. For as long as Iā€™ve played the series, I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever completely finished any of the side stuff. That being said, fuck the Amon Brothers.

Back