General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

yes thats correct. most of the japanese games, that are meant to be sold in japan (game cover with a CERO tag)
are japanese only.
only the versions that are sold in english speaking asian territories have english text
and those are not the original japanese versions. the Shenmue HD limited edition is a japan only CERO version
so i wouldnt count on any other languages than japanese.

I must admit I am disappointed. I know it was not announced as a "remastered" edition, but let's say I really hoped that they did SOMETHING to improve the game - the textures were "OK" on a TV in the 90s, but in 1080p they suck. Loads of models would have taken like 2 mouse clicks by a monkey to get some neat smoothing but no chance - boxy characters are boxy. After all is said and done - it's a good job if the goal was to get a 1:1 port of the original games. But charging 35 Euro for this feels like being milked. Honestly - if i was in charge for this I'd have said like "OK let's make this a free download to advertise Shenmue 3". But as it is it is a rip-off. Honestly it looks better in some emulators I used a decade ago. Playing this I really thought like "hey the 90s just called - they want their game back". I'll just pretend there was no re-release and concentrate on looking forward to Shenmue 3. And keep praying for a "remastered" version - milking 2.0 I guess.

No worries. play asia offer a hassle free doorstep delivery with customs clearance to your destination, parcel tracking and import tax paid. For about 20€ (tracked shipping costs adn tax). Not sure if this include uk because of brexit.

@Henry

You are right about englisch subs in jap. games but I think there might be a reason: Avoid the effort to exclude the eng language. I guess Sega uses the same version as base.

Ah ok, it should be fine for you then. I haven't bought from Play-Asia in quite a while. I did once win a PS4 through them during their Lunar New Year sale years ago. Just there are plenty of Japanese companies out there that offer the games at a more reasonable price.

This import duty stuff is such a gamble, some people can get lucky and get nothing and others something. I buy a lot of games from Japan and its really hit and miss.

Does anyone know if the Japanese audio comes with English subs? It will be my first time playing the game with Japanese audio.

Damn. Stairs exploit fixed? Now im worried about the map glitch from S2. Shame Sega doesnt embrace shenmues glitches like Capcom does for Megaman.

I will say that I only tried it about ten times. But I didn't even get the issue where you momentarily get 'stuck' running on the stairs, so I assume it has been removed. Although I can't 100% confirm it!

Unlike here, it's great to see the outpouring of love on the likes of ResetEra, with both newcomers and old players loving the games, regardless of the issues that currently exist.

I agree. I cant explain it, but it gives me such a warm feeling to see first timers really enjoying it and taking in the experience. Fair play to them.

Last edited:
I was watching one guy play and advising him, and he got to the first fight and didnt know there was actual VF style combat, thought the entire game was QTEs. I quickly got him sorted and up to speed, but it was funny, feels odd seeing newbies again.

Oh wow for my previous post i was "Warned for posting extreme negativity for a release that isn't officially even out yet on a fan forum where we should be promoting the series in a good light!"

Yeah sucks to be saying the truth. Wish i could say something good - but whoever got me that warning - hey it's just a 19 Years (For S2 - 17 years) old game that was ported without any improvements - and after all is said and done - it still looks like a 19 years old game - which is an awesome achievement considering the price tag. I am so sorry i got this 3 days earlier - and no kidding - fanboy or not - this isn't really awesome advertisement. I honestly feel sorry for the people who were like "Wow a new PS4 game" and have to look at the graphics. And I am not even talking about people like me who bought the original Shenmue 1 and 2 for loads of money and feel like "oh wow, you could have skipped this, just keep playing on Dreamcast".

^ Yeah, but the version you're playing isn't final.
Wait a few days till you get the actual massive patches that are planned, and then see how you feel.

Oh wow for my previous post i was "Warned for posting extreme negativity for a release that isn't officially even out yet on a fan forum where we should be promoting the series in a good light!"

Yeah sucks to be saying the truth. Wish i could say something good - but whoever got me that warning - hey it's just a 19 Years (For S2 - 17 years) old game that was ported without any improvements - and after all is said and done - it still looks like a 19 years old game - which is an awesome achievement considering the price tag. I am so sorry i got this 3 days earlier - and no kidding - fanboy or not - this isn't really awesome advertisement. I honestly feel sorry for the people who were like "Wow a new PS4 game" and have to look at the graphics. And I am not even talking about people like me who bought the original Shenmue 1 and 2 for loads of money and feel like "oh wow, you could have skipped this, just keep playing on Dreamcast".

Thats the thing about Shenmue though huh? It didnt need those nice graphics. Sure, most games need them these days, but Shenmue had and still has for more assets than graphics.

Right you've been warned.

We knew full well we were getting a HD port and in fact more than that. The whole UI has been overhauled. The assets have generally been touched up and the game looks nice. That has been clear from the offset. It was never hidden.

Yes there are bugs but it is not even the final game. I'll leave the issue of releasing and then patching for another day.

If you cannot be constructive then I suggest you walk away. Any more and I'll be issuing a ban.

I really hope these new patches improve something. Yeah Shenmue 1 & 2 were great and looked great on the Dreamcast - but on PS4 they really just look AGED as it is. Honestly -back in the days i bought Shenmue 1 because it was the best looking video game around. 19 years later I just bought them because I am a fanboy. Feeling sorry for people who are not a fanboy.

Right you've been warned.

We knew full well we were getting a HD port and in fact more than that. The whole UI has been overhauled. The assets have generally been touched up and the game looks nice. That has been clear from the offset. It was never hidden.

Yes there are bugs but it is not even the final game. I'll leave the issue of releasing and then patching for another day.

If you cannot be constructive then I suggest you walk away. Any more and I'll be issuing a ban.

Ban me if you have to. I am too old to play any games in forums. If this became a "post nice reviews to be a member" forum then maybe I came to the wrong place anyways. Already missing the old Dojo...

I really hope these new patches improve something. Yeah Shenmue 1 & 2 were great and looked great on the Dreamcast - but on PS4 they really just look AGED as it is. Honestly -back in the days i bought Shenmue 1 because it was the best looking video game around. 19 years later I just bought them because I am a fanboy. Feeling sorry for people who are not a fanboy.

You should check out other outlets where Shenmue discussion is happening then. There doesn't seem to be many people at all for you to feel sorry for. Lots of newcomers and old veterans going back and absolutely loving the games so far, and that's even with the issues that are soon to be patched out.

Here is the most negative place going on the internet right now in regards to Shenmue, and your comments do nothing but help to contribute to that. I was going to have a chat with the staff since I didn't even know the warning was issued, and I would have had it waived out if respect for the years you spent on here as a staffer, but reading your posts, I absolutely stand by them.

Ban me if you have to. I am too old to play any games in forums. If this became a "post nice reviews to be a member" forum then maybe I came to the wrong place anyways. Already missing the old Dojo...

It's simple be constructive or be gone.

There's no more ranting or unsubstantiated claims. If you can't do that then you're in the wrong place.

Back