General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

So i hope im missing something but is there no way to map the left joystick to move the camera? Like in the classic dreamcast way?

Just picked it up. Apparently my GameStop only got 3 copies of it, which were all pre-orders so boo on that, what do you think it means?

edit - holy mother of big picture, have a nice big look at the North American Packaging lol
DlIt1QKU8AAVy6p.jpg

Some months ago, Deep Silver warned people there will be few copies available in the market.

So majority online retail sales for physical copies? Or are these copies gonna end up being rare? Also how would Deep Silver know about the details of the HD collection? I thought they were just affiliated with Shenmue 3

So majority online retail sales for physical copies? Or are these copies gonna end up being rare? Also how would Deep Silver know about the details of the HD collection? I thought they were just affiliated with Shenmue 3

Deep Silver is a department of Koch Media
and Koch Media is a official partner of Sega - especially for Europe.
they publish a lot of (physical) games for Sega Europe. for example, Yakuza Kiwami is also published by Koch Media.
same for Shenmue HD.

The comment was from Olivier Compte, the leader of Koch Media France, on Twitter. He knows maybe because he's close with the retailers.
Tosh : oh thanks for the precision

Both games are really dark even tinkering with the tv settings does seem to fix it. I noticed it a lot more on Shenmue 2 ps4. Lowering the contrast option makes it even darker and raising it makes it look worse.

Streams show the same issue as well, however the brightness in the trailers was fine. The ign video of the first half an hour of the game is dark as well.

Can this be reported as a bug, as there's not much other info that could be provided.

Both games are really dark even tinkering with the tv settings does seem to fix it. I noticed it a lot more on Shenmue 2 ps4. Lowering the contrast option makes it even darker and raising it makes it look worse.

Streams show the same issue as well, however the brightness in the trailers was fine. The ign video of the first half an hour of the game is dark as well.

Can this be reported as a bug, as there's not much other info that could be provided.
Yeah, I noticed that too.

Another thing that I noticed that I haven't on a billion playthroughs is that Ine-San uses the same dried fish for dinner that we feed to the cat. I tried to lock on to it and possibly steal it but no dice.

Debating using the 60 inch plasma tv for this due to the fantastic colors and darks compared to lcd.

Debating using the 60 inch plasma tv for this due to the fantastic colors and darks compared to lcd.
I'm on a vt65 plasma and the game looks beautiful! But the blacks are crushed anyway at the moment sooooo

Somehow i made my peace with the re-release today. After playing another 4 hours I felt a bit like being 20 years younger again. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me (no drugs, i swear!) , but Shenmue 2 looks much crisper and especially at night roaming through the golden quarter i felt that happiness that I thought was lost over the years. So to not be the grumpy old man i became - i really felt i have to make up for my initial breakdown (I STILL WANT THE PASSPORT MODEL JACKET TEXTURE, DAMNIT!!!!), here's why i kept playing and why I really changed my mind and now think the money was invested well (Cursing my buddy who bought it at the local shop on SATURDAY for 25 Euro!).

- Controls. No idea about xbox or PC - but on PS4 these are PERFECT. Never been so much fun to play Shenmue. I wanna kiss the PS4 controller (even though i cursed it while playing Tekken 7).

- Performance. Smooth, smooth, smooth. There were moments on Dreamcast when performance would drop to a real lag, areas that i would enter and lean back like "OK calm down, it's busy here", but on PS4 it's the most enjoyable performance I ever witnessed.

- Graphics options. Originally i was like "Oh damn it, bloom, don't wash out my colours even more", but after fiddling with all the options a bit I compared the settings a lot and thought like "no the bloom is not how it originally looked like, but it's what it should have looked like". I am still having a bit mixed feelings about 16:9 - But i understand the cutscenes were not designed for that aspect ratio.

After all i kinda forgot about the game completely and kept focusing on my ever growing capsule toy collection. Now i really wanna start over again and focus more on Capsule toys, arcade games and training moves. I never enjoyed the moves much more than with the PS4 controller and I just forgot how addicting it can be to collect capsule toys.

As you can tell from my original posts - there's still some wishes that seek to be fulfilled. I think what they really missed here (hopefully in a future patch?) would be the option for modding - adding higher resolution textures or models would be great. But even if the game will never look like in my old "Shenmue 1080p" fake renders it is loads of fun. Dang, i want the Hot dog truck capsule toy NOW!!!!

Guys! Just started to play today :) have maybe 3 hours in! So far so good! Loving every second of it!! The hi rez render looks soo damn good!
Only issue I can confirm is the some audio levels of the free quest music. Sometimes the autio effects of the menus also don't work at 100%, and the qte title music stoped playing after my second game. besides that Its amazing!
To play this games on the PS4 is a surreal expirience.
Shenmue lives!!

I've played about an hour or so of it this evening, and the nostalgia came rushing back. Took some getting back into, and I actually took a little while to find the yamamotos household, and then when i did finally find it I ended up with exactly the same thoughts as teenage me "IT'S RIGHT ACROSS FROM THE PARK, IF YOU JUST LOOK, OLD LADY!"

And much like younger me, I tend to be repeating all of the dodgy line readings for Ryo, as well. It's almost instinctive. That and making sure that I get told to "Kiss off" at least once per day.

One thing that struck me was how I forgot just how operatic and over the top the music in the opening scene of the game was. I kind of wish that the sound overall was a little more crisp, but there's not a great deal you can do about that. I can live with the 16:1 but there's something about the muffled audio that drives me crazy. Maybe I'll try with the japanese audio soon and see if there's any difference.

So far, though. I'm just happy to be back in this game world. Looking forward to moving some crates with forklifts again!

the japanese voice option has a slightly better quality overall. the english voices are like super muffled.
in the latest DigitalFoundry video you can see that the files for the english voices are only half the size of the japanese files.
but even if you choose the japanese option, there are some NPC voices with really really bad quality.

Somehow i made my peace with the re-release today. After playing another 4 hours I felt a bit like being 20 years younger again. Maybe my mind is playing tricks on me (no drugs, i swear!) , but Shenmue 2 looks much crisper and especially at night roaming through the golden quarter i felt that happiness that I thought was lost over the years. So to not be the grumpy old man i became - i really felt i have to make up for my initial breakdown (I STILL WANT THE PASSPORT MODEL JACKET TEXTURE, DAMNIT!!!!), here's why i kept playing and why I really changed my mind and now think the money was invested well!

Just a quick update - in regards to this post I have now lifted the warning which I issued you a couple of days ago. I'm really pleased you gave the re-release another chance and ending up enjoying it for what it is, and finding the good in it. Whilst we're not stopping people from having an opinion, the initial way you reacted and the manner in which you expressed yourself was the reason why we decided to originally apply it...but, in light of all the hard work and years of service you provided for this site / forums, and the respectful change of attitude from the other day :p we've decided to now expire the warning.

Once again, i'm personally pleased you are now finally enjoying the re-release, and in being such a huge dedicated fan throughout, it would have been sad had you left things with your initial impressions!

Yeah, I noticed that too.

Another thing that I noticed that I haven't on a billion playthroughs is that Ine-San uses the same dried fish for dinner that we feed to the cat. I tried to lock on to it and possibly steal it but no dice.

Really? I was able to grab it, along with the milk in the fridge.

Last edited:
Anyone having issues with QTE L stick prompts? I've beaten the games many times on DC and have PS4 digital version but I failed the Charlie chase QTE multiple times. I tried using dpad and L stick and swapped controllers yet failed multiple times. What gives?!

Back