General Shenmue & Shenmue II talk

Just got mine earlier today and sat down with it for a little bit. Immediately I found myself in the same place in my life when I first played the game like, 15 + years ago. And no bugs for me outside of a few minor audio hiccups here and there. A shame about the audio quality though.

But I’ll say it again, what an amazing time this is.

A long time Dojo veteran got a warning for a negative review of the port? ?

Anyway, something I noticed and may be buried in the pages here, but they shaved off one number on some of the phone numbers - Nozomi's, for example, was 22-5508 in the original and is now only 22-550.

Fun fact, in case you weren't aware - you don't need to input the "area code" i.e. 0468 when making a call. It will still go through. Old news to a lot of you, I'm sure, but it makes calling master Chen at the warehouse a lot easier.

Playing this at 1080p with 200% supersampling, it looks great! I can't see any difference with FXAA on or off, does anyone else? Not that you really need it when you have supersampling. Just need the framerate to be a bit smoother (there's judder whenever I turn Ryo quickly in a circle, and I'm on a pretty decent laptop).

I'm over on resetERA trying to be as helpful as possible to newcomers. (Maligna over there) It's exhausting, especially on mobile haha. But I'm glad to help people along in their Shenmue journey.
Seeing how modern gamers might interact with the game is fascinating.

I've not played a single videogame (except for, like, Angry Birds) in at least 15 years, and it seems that the videogame conventions which Shenmue departed from have only tightened their grip since.
For instance - running around a village during the daytime knocking on doors and expecting people to be in.
Or going into a shop and trying to buy something by talking to the shopkeeper.

Looking at the reviews and retrospetives on Shenmue, I think the most dispiriting thing for me is realising that having individual NPCs with their own schedules, lives, backstories, jobs, hobbies, etc, isn't common in 2018. Or hasn't even been attempted since Shenmue? That's crazy.

I don't wanna read through 30 pages, but did they change the phone number for master chen by just removing the last number, or am I going insane?

I read someone saying somewhere that currently on xbox, if your viewed in your friend list whilst playing Shenmue, it only displays you as being in the home menu. Does anybody know if it's the same case on ps4? I can't tell as none of my friends are playing it :(

Also, after starting off cutscene bug free, I have just encountered 3 in succession, after discovering the mirror, the scene immediately after with fuku san, and both antique shop visits after. Both had the camera focused into the scenery.

I read someone saying somewhere that currently on xbox, if your viewed in your friend list whilst playing Shenmue, it only displays you as being in the home menu. Does anybody know if it's the same case on ps4? I can't tell as none of my friends are playing it :(

Also, after starting off cutscene bug free, I have just encountered 3 in succession, after discovering the mirror, the scene immediately after with fuku san, and both antique shop visits after. Both had the camera focused into the scenery.
Great, I JUST got to this part and the cutscene with Fuku-san is stuck just like you said. First cutscene glitch I've run into.

Edit: The scene with Megumi/Nozomi messed up too.

Last edited:
So, I just played the Sonic capsule machine in front of the Abe Store, and I just got Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all in a row. I stopped at 3. Is this normal? I don't do much toy capsule collecting in my playthroughs, but decided to this time to carry it over to 2 and also to get the achievement.

So, I just played the Sonic capsule machine in front of the Abe Store, and I just got Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles all in a row. I stopped at 3. Is this normal? I don't do much toy capsule collecting in my playthroughs, but decided to this time to carry it over to 2 and also to get the achievement.
I rarely do capsule machines, but did on this playthrough. I bought a few from that machine and got Fang and Tails.

Playing on PS4, made it to the point where you agree to meet Charlie at the arcade. I'm enjoying it so far. I'd say the crisper visuals pretty much balance out all the annoying glitches that I'm encountering (so many randomly missed sound effects and minor graphics errors).

My only real gripe so far is just how dark the game is at night. No amount of adjustments seems to correct this while keeping daytime looking normal. Looking for sailors at night would have been terrible if I didn't know my way around by heart

I'll admit that I don't play any games at launch these days, but I'm very surprised they let this product hit store shelves. Ryo's silent footsteps should have been corrected after any amount of play testing. I haven't hit any of the blank cutscenes or other big errors yet but it sounds inevitable browsing this forum.

Pretty lame that we have to wait for an update that hopefully addresses the errors. I'm skeptical they every fully fix things, given the track record here.

I was scrolling through the Steam Community screenshots when I came across this bad boy:

741E6F2C28A5667D391B4D2A2783EAB96FA4EDB0

Does it bother anyone else that the QTE buttons don't flash? It's weird seeing them as a static image, I just can't get used to it.

My only real gripe so far is just how dark the game is at night. No amount of adjustments seems to correct this while keeping daytime looking normal. Looking for sailors at night would have been terrible if I didn't know my way around by heart

Yeah this was pretty much my experience, minimal bugs, some minor audio errors. But man was some parts really dark !

Anyway, something I noticed and may be buried in the pages here, but they shaved off one number on some of the phone numbers - Nozomi's, for example, was 22-5508 in the original and is now only 22-550.

Yeah I noticed this too when calling Master Chen ?

Does it bother anyone else that the QTE buttons don't flash? It's weird seeing them as a static image, I just can't get used to it.

Yeah this really bothered me! Almost ruins the QTE experience, but the QTEs would flash if I’m playing in the arcade ?‍♂️

Last edited:
The static and hissing every time someone speaks is really killing me. I can’t just tune it out, unfortunately. Couldn’t they have at least run some sort of filter to reduce this added noise? I’m enjoying myself immensely otherwise.

The audio is my biggest disappointment. The audio from the Dreamcast version ALWAYS bothered me, to the point where I thought there was something wrong with my TV.

That being said though, the badly compressed audio does bring back the nostalgia for me.

Just saw that on Twitter, looks like the Spanish PS4 box said it is up to 4 players

Back