General Virtua Fighter Talk

Guess I'll just play blurry 720p (because 1080p monitor) vanilla VF5 by myself in Yakuza 6 while you guys are all having fun together with yer newfangled graphics...

Just dusted off the PS5 after a near 3 months of it sitting in a bag in the closet and have VF5US downloading right now, I'm super excited! I decided to purchase the game outright instead of signing up for PS Plus or PS Now. In the US it's $30 USD for the full game and that includes the DLC pack.

For anyone that is wondering: The backwards compatibility on PS5 has no issues, it works perfectly fine.

Does anyone know how to turn on retro stages and retro opponent graphics for the entire Arcade tower?? I can only seem to get my character to look like that.

I played through VF5 this morning and honestly, I'm already done with it. I should say I've never been keen on VF, but there really isn't much else to do. I got some of the easier trophies, and the rest require you to play 100-1200+ matches online - I'm good.

This is a problem I have had with many fighting games these days, the lack of interesting offline content. Tekken was my go-to fighter, but with Tekken 7, I beat the campaign, tried online to mop up the easy online trophies and I was done with it too. My favourite mode to play on fighting games is Survival Mode, as the incentive to beat my score gave the game a decent set of replay value. Also these days all the characters are unlocked from the get go - or are paid DLC - There's no incentive to play through arcade mode as it lacks the thrill of unlocking the characters or costumes.

One feature I did think was pretty cool was to see online battles on the menu, I've not seen that before and it's pretty cool to see other players fight Full Screen with the press of a button.

Last edited:
I played through VF5 this morning and honestly, I'm already done with it. I should say I've never been keen on VF, but there isn't much else to do, I got some of the easier trophies, and the rest require you to play 100-1200+ matches online - I'm good.

This is a problem I have had with many fighting games these days, the lack of interesting offline content. Tekken was my go-to fighter, but with Tekken 7, I beat the campaign, tried online to mop up the easy online trophies and I was done with it too. My favorite model to play on fighting games is Survival Mode, as the incentive to beat my score gave the game a decent set of replay value. Also these days all the characters are unlocked from the get-go - or are paid DLC - There's no incentive to play through arcade mode as it lacks the thrill of unlocking the characters or costumes.

One feature I did think was pretty cool was to see online battles on the menu, I've not seen that before.
Well, for me, I am going to be spending a lot of time in practice mode to refine my skills. To me, the strength of fighting games is in their unlimited replay value. The whole point is to challenge other players to understand your strengths and weaknesses. That's where the replay value comes in not in the single player. However, I do not have any right to dictate to you how you should play.

I played through VF5 this morning and honestly, I'm already done with it. I should say I've never been keen on VF, but there really isn't much else to do. I got some of the easier trophies, and the rest require you to play 100-1200+ matches online - I'm good.

This is a problem I have had with many fighting games these days, the lack of interesting offline content. Tekken was my go-to fighter, but with Tekken 7, I beat the campaign, tried online to mop up the easy online trophies and I was done with it too. My favourite mode to play on fighting games is Survival Mode, as the incentive to beat my score gave the game a decent set of replay value. Also these days all the characters are unlocked from the get go - or are paid DLC - There's no incentive to play through arcade mode as it lacks the thrill of unlocking the characters or costumes.

One feature I did think was pretty cool was to see online battles on the menu, I've not seen that before and it's pretty cool to see other players fight Full Screen with the press of a button.
I hear you on this one. Sadly, I feel very similar after spending a few hours with Ultimate Showdown. It doesn't feel as fresh as I was hoping and I have already gone back to Final Showdown in the same evening. I'm not a big fan of Tekken 7 personally as I find it to be possibly the worst game in the franchise(or possibly Tekken 4?)and that was even more enjoyable for longer than Ultimate Showdown was. At least upon first impression.

I just complete Arcade twice in my lunch break, beaten Dural in the second run with Sarah. The game looks great and plays exactly as VF5FS, so win win for me. Probably subscribing a month to PS Plus to fight against some of you some day!

I am not going back to FS anytime soon, maybe to Xbox 360 basic VF5 just for the Quest Mode some day

I do kind of wish they included the Single Player campaign from VF4 Evo, but its obvious they're aiming this for online mostly. I'm enjoying that aspect of it but I do understand why that's not a draw for others.

It's nice to play VF against actual people. I've lost more matches than won and haven't moved from 3rd Dan (I either get a lot of Kyu's or REALLY good VF players that just own me and the rank seems pretty stingy with dishing out points unlike Tekken 7)

But I'm just enjoying playing against other people and decided not to worry too much about rank this time around (like I did with Tekken 7)

I forgot what a badass Aoi is in this game...some of those parries are just awesome to watch in motion.

I feel you on this. Seems silly to play fighting games for the single player content, but that's kinda how I am these days. My impression (with zero evidence) is that they're diverting their efforts of a new quest mode towards VF6.

I played about an hour last night. Got my ass kicked a couple times, kicked ass a couple other times. Lag seemed nonexistent.

@danielmann861 How do you think the netcode in this compares to Tekken 7? Because some people are using that as an excuse as to why VF wasn't included in this year's online EVO. Seems really lame for the first Sony-owned EVO to not include a fighter that just released exclusively on their platform. Guilty Gear Strive is being released AFTER VF5 US, isn't Sony exclusive, and is still set as one of the four main tournaments of this EVO.

I dunno, I just feel like Sony should be helping Sega out in the publicity department considering they stuck their neck out for this exclusivity.

How many of you are playing online?
Me! Just 90 minutes today. Netcode is not broken, a little sttutering sometimes. Rooms are easy to access, ranker match takes some time to find openents.
Right now 7th Kyu with Sarah.

Could we create a Dojo Private Room??

If anyone wants to play with me pls add mjqjazzbar. Yes a Dojo room would be rad.
Just added you. I am a total newbie but add me on Sheepboy64 (it’s a long story so).

On that note what is recommended character to start with having never played VF? I tried Akira and was able to pull off a few Shenmue moves but found his offensive options limited in my limited hands

Last edited:
Just added you. I am a total newbie but add me on Sheepboy64 (it’s a long story so).

On that note what is recommended character to start with having never played VF? I tried Akira and was able to pull off a few Shenmue moves but found his offensive options limited in my limited hands
Not like I'm an expert, but I feel Pai, Lau, Jacky, and Sarah are all fairly beginner friendly.

Back