General Virtua Fighter Talk

Well i guess it really depends on the playerbase,
like what was the playerbase peak in that timeframe, can that usernumber compete with other fighting games,
are there still enough players in the game even after its not free with PS+ anymore
or how big was the drop
and then how many of these players are / were interested in the 10 USD cosmetic stuff
and are they interested in more paid DLC content.

But based on how Sega literally gifted dozens and dozens and dozens of free
DLC codes for the PS+ version, it seems like they are more interested in the PS+ playerbase analysis.
They probably have to evaluate how a next game should be released,
full price + paid dlc, full price and all content included, half price with paid DLC packs,
free to play but a lot of paid DLC.
Like did 'someone' even pay 30 USD for this new version or did 99,9% of the players only play
the free version without DLC etc. Thats probably not a easy or fast decision for the future.

The good thing is its doing well with Twitch streamers. I checked today and there were at least 1.3k viewers listed. For comparison, Tekken 7 was at 742 viewers...that's a good sign that maybe its getting in front of more eyeballs.

Last edited:
The only thing that is bumming me out about online is the constant barrage of spammers spamming punch combos. Granted its easy enough to deal with...either side step or nut punch them to death. But it is slightly annoying at the lower ranks. I presume the actual good VF players have probably moved up by now.

I made it up to 6th Dan today online. I have to retrain myself a little. While they do share some principles, there are still enough differences between VF and Tekken that I did find myself having to readjust a little after playing SO much of Tekken 7 online. Things I can do in Tekken I can't really do here. Such as the universal low parry that Tekken has (D+F) where as with VF, I have to readjust to dealing with lows (the low punch seems the most effective way to take turns from the other player)

I also just have to figure out what beats what. I get the basic triangle of VF (Attack (aka BUTTONS)>Throw>Guard>Attack) but that is still an adjustment not to mention figuring out frame data in general.

Having a lot of fun with it still. Well, when you're actually facing off against someone who genuinely wants to learn or knows how to play VF or a fighting game in general its fun...but the spammers are kind of annoying...I gather it's either people looking to spam for trophies or just people who have no clue how to play a fighting game and are just mashing buttons for the sake of it.

The only thing that is bumming me out about online is the constant barrage of spammers spamming punch combos. Granted its easy enough to deal with...either side step or nut punch them to death. But it is slightly annoying at the lower ranks. I presume the actual good VF players have probably moved up by now.

I made it up to 6th Dan today online. I have to retrain myself a little. While they do share some principles, there are still enough differences between VF and Tekken that I did find myself having to readjust a little after playing SO much of Tekken 7 online. Things I can do in Tekken I can't really do here. Such as the universal low parry that Tekken has (D+F) where as with VF, I have to readjust to dealing with lows (the low punch seems the most effective way to take turns from the other player)

I also just have to figure out what beats what. I get the basic triangle of VF (Attack (aka BUTTONS)>Throw>Guard>Attack) but that is still an adjustment not to mention figuring out frame data in general.

Having a lot of fun with it still. Well, when you're actually facing off against someone who genuinely wants to learn or knows how to play VF or a fighting game in general its fun...but the spammers are kind of annoying...I gather it's either people looking to spam for trophies or just people who have no clue how to play a fighting game and are just mashing buttons for the sake of it.
We talked about this on the SEGA lounge the other day. There's a few people running scripts (Blessy mentioned this on the show) as you get points for losing too. So they're leaving things to run, artificially pushing up the rank. I think it stops gifting points for losing at a certain stage but forget where.

After two ranked match victories I was at around 22,000 on the leaderboard, suggesting that there are probably well over 50,000 players in total. Whether or not they all stick around though remains to be seen.

You can't go higher than 1st Dan by losing. They are running scripts for the 1200 fights trophy. Personally I'll take the free win and the extra player in the stats that Sega wil be looking at 🙂

Some punch spammer had a note at the bottom of his screen that said something like, "Player will lose rank if they lose this round." They'd lost like 600 games vs. won 49 games when I fought them. I had no idea what was going on at first; just kept spamming a punch and finally I remembered these posts...

I guess I need to start pressing L1. Getting all the buttons pressed on the Dualshock so I can safely get out of throws/falls & being nimble enough to also get to P+K, P+G, +K+G a second later is really dang hard. Either that...or a stick!?

You have to use the button shortcuts if playing on a pad, it's physically impossible to hit p+k+g or k+g with just your thumb on default settings. Easy on an arcade stick as you can hit all three with your thumb and fingers no problem. You'll need quick access to p+k+g just for quick rise/escape and defensive step at higher ranks

Well I made it to 8th Dan online....what I've come to realize? Either I'm getting way too much in the way of lag or my reaction times simply aren't there for this game. I struggle pulling off simple punishes online. Offline isn't too bad, but online? I struggle with punishing stuff online. Like for instance, I was facing a Lion who was just spamming one move over and over. After looking up a video online, I found the right punish for said move with Sarah and tried to apply it. But the game would not let me apply a very simple i14 frame punisher. I just keep getting hit any time I try to punish this one spammed move on block.

So either my reaction times aren't there or it's getting a lot of lag spikes. Maybe I should switch over to the Powerline adaptor and see if that makes a difference. Just means I have to unplug my turntable (or suffer loud static through book shelf speakers from having both turntable and powerline adapters plugged in at the same time)

Still lots of script users, but I'm sticking with it. At least I haven't been demoted yet.

Yeah, I’ve been getting destroyed as my rank rises. I feel like I’m just a second too slow to react. I still have trouble switching between offense and defense in the heat of a fight. I’ve set my in-between training sparring partners to level 3 or above to condition myself to always be ready at least.

I am also at 8th Dan and the quality of the competition seems pretty well matched. Occasionally I'll get destroyed by a LV.24 berserker but I'm usually happy if I can take a round.

The quality of high level play is a pleasure to see

I switched over to my powerline adapters today. It makes a little improvement being on wired connection. But I still get lag in matches. I guess you can only do so much given that people are playing on a mix of WiFi and LAN cables and the game doesn't tell you if you're facing off against a WiFi user or LAN user.

I wish my modem and phone line wasn't half way across the house, I would love to have a straight connection to the modem through lan cable but powerline adapter has to do for now. It's holding up a little better than the WiFi Range Extender was though. Or so it seems. I don't feel as much heaviness on the inputs.

I have to figure out how to get rid of static through my speakers when my Turntable is plugged in while having the powerline adapters also in though. Whenever I have the powerline adapters in, I get interference through my speakers when the turntable is also plugged in. That's why I went back to a WiFi range extender to eliminate that noise for fear of damaging my bookshelf speakers.

I thought about buying a new Turntable...I was already thinking about buying one. As much as I like my Audio Technica, it does have some speed issues where the motor shifts speeds every so slightly so I was thinking about buying a new one anyways, but I fear it won't resolve the noise issue from Powerline adapters.

The other solution is to keep switching between the WiFi and powerline adapters but that gets annoying. I'd rather just have everything plugged in ready to go with no issues. Anyways, tech issues I have to figure out one day.

Made it to 10th Dan Level 20 with Sarah. Next Stop: Hunter Ranks at Level 21.

CD13DFA7-ADE2-4759-94E3-A2353BC51FC3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back