General Virtua Fighter Talk

@danielmann861 How do you think the netcode in this compares to Tekken 7? Because some people are using that as an excuse as to why VF wasn't included in this year's online EVO. Seems really lame for the first Sony-owned EVO to not include a fighter that just released exclusively on their platform. Guilty Gear Strive is being released AFTER VF5 US, isn't Sony exclusive, and is still set as one of the four main tournaments of this EVO.

I dunno, I just feel like Sony should be helping Sega out in the publicity department considering they stuck their neck out for this exclusivity.
Interesting question. I mainly play Tekken on PC because the net code feels slightly better to me on the PC version over PS4/ PS5 version. That and the PC version is more populated.

I would say they’re on par though. Much like Tekken, depending on the connection, some matches feel better than others. Some matches feel snappy much like playing offline VF5, but then other matches feel heavy with the inputs. I don’t know if it’s just me sucking at guarding, but it does sometimes feel like I guard something but the game doesn’t register that I guarded it in some matches. That’s when I notice the delay the most. Maybe I notice it slightly more than Tekken because Tekken is auto guard (for the most part) where as VF is button based guard and I do notice the slight delay between pressing guard and actually guarding in some matches.

But otherwise it has held up fine so far. No stuttering, no random desyncing, I do get occasional disconnects in the lobby though but haven’t had one in-fight yet.

It‘s a mixed bag I’m finding. Although I do find it dubious that I’m constantly getting perfect 4 bar connections when some matches feel more like 2 or 3 bars.

It’s not completely broken. It is playable, but at the same time, it reaffirms my belief that no one should take online that seriously in regards to measure of skill.

Really disappointed with the implementation of ranked matches. I played two - the first person I came up against disconnected right before I could win the third round and the second disconnected immediately after I’d won. Neither match counted as a victory. I gave up after that.

The game itself isn’t too bad, but that kind of counts for nothing with the lack of a forfeit penalty. Not sure how they can get away with calling it a competitive eSports title if the people at the top of the rankings are just quiting out whenever they come up against a better player and holding onto their ranking.

Really disappointed with the implementation of ranked matches. I played two - the first person I came up against disconnected right before I could win the third round and the second disconnected immediately after I’d won. Neither match counted as a victory. I gave up after that.

The game itself isn’t too bad, but that kind of counts for nothing with the lack of a forfeit penalty. Not sure how they can get away with calling it a competitive eSports title if the people at the top of the rankings are just quiting out whenever they come up against a better player and holding onto their ranking.
I’m a bit confused as to how the points system for rank works. Do you get points if they don’t complete the set or not? I’ve had a couple people leave after one match and I have been wondering “do I get points for rank or do I lose those points because they didn’t complete the set?”

I got to 3rd Dan and now just feel stuck, Tekken’s rank system dishes out points after every win whereas this? Is it tied to the completion of a set or every individual win? If it’s the former than that would suck.

I’m a bit confused as to how the points system for rank works. Do you get points if they don’t complete the set or not? I’ve had a couple people leave after one match and I have been wondering “do I get points for rank or do I lose those points because they didn’t complete the set?”

I got to 3rd Dan and now just feel stuck, Tekken’s rank system dishes out points after every win whereas this? Is it tied to the completion of a set or every individual win? If it’s the former than that would suck.
I couldn’t tell you, as as far as I can see I have no points thus far. This leads me to believe that your rank is unaffected if the other person quits out at any point and, presumably, if you quit out at any point (that’s the only reason I can see for people quitting out on me).

I have tested the Acarde mode yesterday already a bit and it is really fun. Have not played against other People yet because I lack the skills to do so. I have absosolutely no complains about the game so far. It Plays as nice as VF 4 on on the ps3 and the graphics are also quite nice. I have to add that I have never played the ps3 Version of part 5 so I cannot compare the original to the Remake. if the orginal does some parts bette than the new Version I would not know it.

A lot of spammers online I noticed. I guess that's the PS Plus effect that you're gonna get a LOT of people who either don't care to learn or don't know how to play a fighting game for the first month. And then it will probably wane off and become all about the actual VF players.

A lot of people doing Akira's 1, 2 punch over and over again tonight...little do they know about this thing called side step ;) Yes, that works against the AI in VF2 but it don't fly online against real people :D

I maintain that side step in this game still feels so much snappier and more enjoyable than Tekken's side step. I struggle with side stepping moves on Tekken all the time and yet Virtua Fighter I have at least 40 percent chance of side stepping when timed right. Whereas Tekken I can only side step the most obvious of moves but fail more often than not in side stepping.

I finally went up to 4th Dan tonight...I still get a lot of Kyu's and you really don't get points from them. I get the occasional 1st and 2nd Dan but more Kyu's than not.

You do get points for every win. I did notice the bar go up after each individual win, you don't have to win the set, but they really are stingy with the points they dish out. Unless you're fighting someone in your rank or just slightly below, you get fuck all points for winning a match.

There are some things I still don't quite get about VF...movement in general. Not being so reliant on the guard button and timing throw escapes still allude me. That to me is the biggest difference between Tekken and VF. Because its Auto Guard on Tekken, I think dashing back and forward is maybe a tad easier on Tekken where as VF can be a little harder to wrap your head around movement...but on the flip side, I think 3D movement is far better in VF than it is in Tekken at times.

I think I've got to sit down and really learn fundamentals of VF in general. Things like fuzzy guarding which I still don't really get (it's kind of like KBD in Tekken and how I don't quite get that either.) The tutorial mode is a bit bare bones though. Compared to the excellent tutorial mode in VF4 at least. Hell, even MK 11 has a better tutorial mode now.

The netcode was a bit laggy tonight, but to be fair I was streaming so maybe that was adding to the lag. But most matches felt heavy tonight. Again, probably down to the fact that I was streaming while playing and I have spotty network speeds at best.

Last edited:
A lot of spammers online I noticed. I guess that's the PS Plus effect that you're gonna get a LOT of people who either don't care to learn or don't know how to play a fighting game for the first month. And then it will probably wane off and become all about the actual VF players.

A lot of people doing Akira's 1, 2 punch over and over again tonight...little do they know about this thing called side step ;) Yes, that works against the AI in VF2 but it don't fly online against real people :D

I maintain that side step in this game still feels so much snappier and more enjoyable than Tekken's side step. I struggle with side stepping moves on Tekken all the time and yet Virtua Fighter I have at least 40 percent chance of side stepping when timed right. Whereas Tekken I can only side step the most obvious of moves but fail more often than not in side stepping.

I finally went up to 4th Dan tonight...I still get a lot of Kyu's and you really don't get points from them. I get the occasional 1st and 2nd Dan but more Kyu's than not.

You do get points for every win. I did notice the bar go up after each individual win, you don't have to win the set, but they really are stingy with the points they dish out. Unless you're fighting someone in your rank or just slightly below, you get fuck all points for winning a match.

There are some things I still don't quite get about VF...movement in general. Not being so reliant on the guard button and timing throw escapes still allude me. That to me is the biggest difference between Tekken and VF. Because its Auto Guard on Tekken, I think dashing back and forward is maybe a tad easier on Tekken where as VF can be a little harder to wrap your head around movement...but on the flip side, I think 3D movement is far better in VF than it is in Tekken at times.

I think I've got to sit down and really learn fundamentals of VF in general. Things like fuzzy guarding which I still don't really get (it's kind of like KBD in Tekken and how I don't quite get that either.) The tutorial mode is a bit bare bones though. Compared to the excellent tutorial mode in VF4 at least. Hell, even MK 11 has a better tutorial mode now.

The netcode was a bit laggy tonight, but to be fair I was streaming so maybe that was adding to the lag. But most matches felt heavy tonight. Again, probably down to the fact that I was streaming while playing and I have spotty network speeds at best.
Yeah. I want back for a second try earlier and found that I had been given points for the fight where the dude quit after I’d already won, so it must only be if they quit before the fight is over that points aren’t given. I think you do get points for each round you win too even if you lose the fight, but they only seem to be added at the end of the fight, so if someone quits on you you get nothing. I think the search does account for this, so I guess it should be less likely to come up against persistent cheaters the more you play.

One thing that I did notice was that I was regularly having to wait 3+ minutes for a matchup and when they arrived, the people I got matched with were always high ranked, which suggests to me that there aren’t too many people playing the game. A bit of a worry, really, given that it’s both brand new and free to all PS+ subscribers. Hopefully this improves over time, but I think it’s more likely to get worse, if anything. On the plus side though, it does make it easier to rank up quickly when I do eventually find a match.

I haven’t really noticed any issues with the net code, although this is probably helped a little by how sluggish the game is naturally. It reminds me a little of Shenmue 3 in that respect as it can sometimes feel like there’s a little bit of a delay in moves being pulled off when compared to something like SF or MK. I think this is by design though, as it’s the same in arcade mode as it is online. Perhaps it’s a bit more realistic, but fights can sometimes feel a little less exciting as a result.

Got lunch in 20 minutes, spent other 40 plaing online and winning every single Rank Match. As @danielmann861 says a lot of spammers now, I fought twice an Akira that was doing all the time the low punk thingy, constantly, until I block it and detroyed it. I hope some people like the game and stay after the novelty. It would be great for the franchise.

If we want further VF games then back it, much like Shenmue tbh

The best that comes from it is it picks up a new player base that might stick around to learn it or it catches a light on the Esports scene again. It's a long way to catch Tekken's popularity but so long as it maybe brings some new eyeballs and keeps them around, that's really what you want from this.

That's really all I could hope. Is that it finds a new audience willing to learn it and expands the fanbase giving Sega confidence to go back to the well one more time for VF6. VirtuaFighter dot com's servers have been taking a hammering since it launched so maybe there is hope that it will find a new audience that will stick around.

That's why the negativity bothered me...all these people pining for VF6 then bitching when they actually do give you something VF related to test the waters...you want it so badly? Then support what you're getting from them for all is worth and show them there is still a market for VF. Instead of just bitching about how "it's not VF6!" or "SEGA IS TONE DEAF" or "No ROLLBACK, NO BUY!"

You want these things? Then support it and show them you want it so they maybe make a VF6 with the things you want.

But the ground work is at least laid...moving over to the Dragon Engine at least gives them a solid base to build on if they do go ahead with VF6.

Last edited:
Doing really well with pai at the moment. I gotta learn akira though in honor of Ryo.

Any tips @Down by Law let us know. 2nd Dan is very impressive.

Also, everyone check out the dojo lobby room when you get a chance

https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-dojo-lobby-room.3631/
Get your controls set up right. If using an arcade stick great, no trouble but if not make sure you setup the shortcut buttons. Akira has a lot of moves that need multiple button pressed you just can't comfortably do on a controller without using shortcuts.

If having to use a DS5 I have guard on square, punch on triangle , kick on circle, then these two as shortcuts as hard to hit them at the same time on a pad - k+g on X, p+k+g on R1.

Get into practice mode and go through command training. Find moves you feel comfortable with, learn the ranges. You'll win more fighting smart than showing off big combos

It's just practice, practice, practice really :)

Get your controls set up right. If using an arcade stick great, no trouble but if not make sure you setup the shortcut buttons. Akira has a lot of moves that need multiple button pressed you just can't comfortably do on a controller without using shortcuts.

If having to use a DS5 I have guard on square, punch on triangle , kick on circle, then these two as shortcuts as hard to hit them at the same time on a pad - k+g on X, p+k+g on R1.

Get into practice mode and go through command training. Find moves you feel comfortable with, learn the ranges. You'll win more fighting smart than showing off big combos

It's just practice, practice, practice really :)
Thanks for that. Im gonna try and learn him hopefully tomorrow. Hopefully he wont be too difficult to get down.

I got an arcade stick, but i cant be asked to dig it up and plug it in, so im using pad

Really enjoying Pai at the moment. Made it to 5th dan with her

Last edited:
Just added you. I am a total newbie but add me on Sheepboy64 (it’s a long story so).

On that note what is recommended character to start with having never played VF? I tried Akira and was able to pull off a few Shenmue moves but found his offensive options limited in my limited hands
Jacky, Pai, and Sarah are all beginner-friendly characters. For those of you who are trying to learn Akira, I wish you the best of luck because he is not a character for beginners. A lot of his more complex moves and strategies involve reading frames.

In any case, I am not too worried about spammers as they will quit the game once actual players show up. Also, I would recommend for everyone to look up SEGA of America's YouTube channel for Virtua Fighter Final Showdown tutorial videos.

Also, I will leave this post from the Virtua Fighter forums here to help beginners as there is not a dramatic difference I have seen between Final and Ultimate Showdown. I hope this time we can restore Virtua Fighters' prominence in the arena. I have a lot of respect for this franchise and next to Shenmue, it's part of Yu Suzuki's lasting legacy. In either case, I am heading back into practice mode as I have not touched anything else.

Last edited:
PSN is sppeac1987 if anyone wants to add me :)
I’m hardly an expert at VF but doing ok on ranked matches so far!

"But if you ask me whether I want to create it or not, I do want to create it. This title [Ultimate Showdown] will let us know whether there are demands and potentials for Virtua Fighter. We want to hype it up so it can connect to the next one." - Sega's chief producer Seiji Aoki

I don't feel that re-releasing a minor refresh of a 15 year old game exclusively to only one last gen console is the best way to measure interest in a franchise for the current gen consoles from a business standpoint, but let's hope this approach works well enough to generate a cash flow for a new VF game that can reboot the franchise.

Back