Has Yu said anything about retcons in a post release interview?

While many of us want to know, we're also pending the return of a written interview from YSNET, we actually have no divine right to be told these things prior to any new games coming out.

If he wants to tell us them I'm all for it but there shouldn't be the expectation that he must tell us.

I would hope he'd do the interview because it's us asking him (the dojo creators) and with him hopefully having knowledge of us and others that he'd be keener to do it because he knows we love his work and this masterpiece we are here for. Here's hoping he gets back to you guys for us all.

But, on the notion about retcons, He likely isn't gonna reveal any rectons even if unplanned incased he retooled them to be discussed in later games/stories to further the story. However, I think the magical element was shown but it was always painted to me from the moment I first saw Shenmue trailer and the words I saw it always as an invisible force. Like the words say, from a land in the east. It always seemed that the mirrors were the magic and the power. And, those who hold them are in the midst of being divine energy for good and evil. The Phoenix in Chinese mythology, an immortal bird whose rare appearance is said to be an omen foretelling harmony at the ascent to the throne of a new emperor. The Dragon is also a symbol of power, strength, and good luck. So, the magical elements have always been a thing in my eyes. In some fashion just something not as obvious as the sword thing. We got the hint of magical elements with the smoke and the mirror. In my eyes I want the "magical" elements to remain tame with how they are doing them now with it being an invisible force. The realism to it in that regard hits for me on so many levels.

Now, for the Shenmue tree. To me in the beginning it never occurred to me at least that it was a rare tree considering cherry blossom trees. However, in Japan, they are cherry blossom trees. The ones seen in Gulin were likely cherry trees. But, for sake of game and story, I think making it a cherry blossom or the "alluding" to it being the same can be seen as a few different takes. That can be imagined or again something Yu may explore later on. But, for the same theory, I see the Shenmue tree in the same vein as the invisible magical elements. Where divinity is planted is where things that change the course of someone's path exist. The cherry tree in Yokosuka held the mirrors. Lead to the events of Shenmue 1. The mirrors were tied to Gulin and a Shenhua who has a cherry tree in her backyard. And, finally the one in Ternary Spring. It's all like an invisible roadmap likely. That's what it seems to me.

Oh, and one more thing. I am Lord Tentei. And, I have much Kung Fu.

I would hope he'd do the interview because it's us asking him (the dojo creators) and with him hopefully having knowledge of us and others that he'd be keener to do it because he knows we love his work and this masterpiece we are here for. Here's hoping he gets back to you guys for us all.

But, on the notion about retcons, He likely isn't gonna reveal any rectons even if unplanned incased he retooled them to be discussed in later games/stories to further the story. However, I think the magical element was shown but it was always painted to me from the moment I first saw Shenmue trailer and the words I saw it always as an invisible force. Like the words say, from a land in the east. It always seemed that the mirrors were the magic and the power. And, those who hold them are in the midst of being divine energy for good and evil. The Phoenix in Chinese mythology, an immortal bird whose rare appearance is said to be an omen foretelling harmony at the ascent to the throne of a new emperor. The Dragon is also a symbol of power, strength, and good luck. So, the magical elements have always been a thing in my eyes. In some fashion just something not as obvious as the sword thing. We got the hint of magical elements with the smoke and the mirror. In my eyes I want the "magical" elements to remain tame with how they are doing them now with it being an invisible force. The realism to it in that regard hits for me on so many levels.

Now, for the Shenmue tree. To me in the beginning it never occurred to me at least that it was a rare tree considering cherry blossom trees. However, in Japan, they are cherry blossom trees. The ones seen in Gulin were likely cherry trees. But, for sake of game and story, I think making it a cherry blossom or the "alluding" to it being the same can be seen as a few different takes. That can be imagined or again something Yu may explore later on. But, for the same theory, I see the Shenmue tree in the same vein as the invisible magical elements. Where divinity is planted is where things that change the course of someone's path exist. The cherry tree in Yokosuka held the mirrors. Lead to the events of Shenmue 1. The mirrors were tied to Gulin and a Shenhua who has a cherry tree in her backyard. And, finally the one in Ternary Spring. It's all like an invisible roadmap likely. That's what it seems to me.

Oh, and one more thing. I am Lord Tentei. And, I have much Kung Fu.
I'm hoping so as well. It's in his to do list that much I know. They've been busy on something, no idea what mind, so it's had to take a backseat. I'm a patient man though, I can wait.

I'm hoping so as well. It's in his to do list that much I know. They've been busy on something, no idea what mind, so it's had to take a backseat. I'm a patient man though, I can wait.
Oh so there has been communication with him or someone for him that he does want to do the interview. And they been busy on something you say. When was this exchange had if you don't mind me asking sir?

Oh so there has been communication with him or someone for him that he does want to do the interview. And they been busy on something you say. When was this exchange had if you don't mind me asking sir?
There's been communication with Joel over at YSNET, he's our main point of contact there.

He told me they've got the questions and it will be looked at but is on the back burner because they're incredibly busy currently. That was in December and given the recent interview with YS and him hoping to have an announcement I'd suggest them being busy and that are linked.

Now, as I say, I've no idea what that is but there's been a team there for 2 years since Shenmue 3. Something is keeping the lights on.

There's been communication with Joel over at YSNET, he's our main point of contact there.

He told me they've got the questions and it will be looked at but is on the back burner because they're incredibly busy currently. That was in December and given the recent interview with YS and him hoping to have an announcement I'd suggest them being busy and that are linked.

Now, as I say, I've no idea what that is but there's been a team there for 2 years since Shenmue 3. Something is keeping the lights on.
this is good news either way.

That's interesting, I haven't seen that intervew. But that would tie in quite nicely with the multiple unused sword models in the game files!
I wish I could remember where it was actually said, but I'm not having much luck finding it. I thought it might have been in the A-Labo Index radio show interview by Masaya Matsukaze, but I didn't catch it there.

Was also checking the release celebration interview from IGN, but they only seemed to talk about the beefed up Saturn they used at one point, with an extra DSP co-processor.

For anyone wondering about Shenhua's clothes, at least, Suzuki mentions it here:

Summary: Texture detail was limited to just portraying the material in the first two games, but with advances in texture quality today, adding more interesting elements to Shenhua's old outfit felt out of place for her means/character (eg. leather patches, stitching, and such). So the decision was made to just give her a bit more feminine, knit clothing in a bit of a 'modern Shenhua' style, instead.

He also mentions that Ryo's shirt was untucked to not make him look quite so lame and old fashioned from today's perspective.

Also, right after that he talks about the overall Shenmue story being redrafted a bit to account for cuts from the first two games, and rescope for the rest of the series. That leads into Okayasu's role a bit, which it feels like fans don't tend to have a great grasp on: Generally speaking, Suzuki outlines the bigger story elements, and Okayasu has strung those together with the inbetween gameplay. That's been his role throughout the series. (Not totally relevant to the topic, but I always feel like it bears repeating.) One example they gave was that Suzuki's outline called for "thugs." and Okayasu felt like there was a lot of time chasing "thugs"; So at his suggestion, they differentiated them a bit by making them part of gangs with the Red Snakes and Blue Spiders. More typically, the path from one major event to another, and a lot of the more basic gameplay patterns between them was always part of Okayasu's responsibilities. He was also the impetus for Chobu-chan and herb collecting in Shenmue III--if it had been up to him, they would have just been treasure boxes, but Suzuki had the ideas of Chobu-chan and herb collecting activities specifically.

I wish I could remember where it was actually said, but I'm not having much luck finding it. I thought it might have been in the A-Labo Index radio show interview by Masaya Matsukaze, but I didn't catch it there.

Was also checking the release celebration interview from IGN, but they only seemed to talk about the beefed up Saturn they used at one point, with an extra DSP co-processor.

For anyone wondering about Shenhua's clothes, at least, Suzuki mentions it here:

Summary: Texture detail was limited to just portraying the material in the first two games, but with advances in texture quality today, adding more interesting elements to Shenhua's old outfit felt out of place for her means/character (eg. leather patches, stitching, and such). So the decision was made to just give her a bit more feminine, knit clothing in a bit of a 'modern Shenhua' style, instead.

He also mentions that Ryo's shirt was untucked to not make him look quite so lame and old fashioned from today's perspective.

Also, right after that he talks about the overall Shenmue story being redrafted a bit to account for cuts from the first two games, and rescope for the rest of the series. That leads into Okayasu's role a bit, which it feels like fans don't tend to have a great grasp on: Generally speaking, Suzuki outlines the bigger story elements, and Okayasu has strung those together with the inbetween gameplay. That's been his role throughout the series. (Not totally relevant to the topic, but I always feel like it bears repeating.) One example they gave was that Suzuki's outline called for "thugs." and Okayasu felt like there was a lot of time chasing "thugs"; So at his suggestion, they differentiated them a bit by making them part of gangs with the Red Snakes and Blue Spiders. More typically, the path from one major event to another, and a lot of the more basic gameplay patterns between them was always part of Okayasu's responsibilities. He was also the impetus for Chobu-chan and herb collecting in Shenmue III--if it had been up to him, they would have just been treasure boxes, but Suzuki had the ideas of Chobu-chan and herb collecting activities specifically.
I don't get the rationale.

Because they could make her clothing more detailed the old outfit wouldn't work anymore?

I don't get the rationale.

Because they could make her clothing more detailed the old outfit wouldn't work anymore?

About her clothing, how to unlock her alternative one? I got the Season Pack on Epic.

About her clothing, how to unlock her alternative one? I got the Season Pack on Epic.
In the interview Yu Suzuki apparently said that he changed Shenhuas clothes because her old outfit wouldn’t have looked as good with more detail on it due to the improved graphics compared to the Dreamcast model.

Curious what he meant by this as it’s nonsensical.

Reactions: JP_
In the interview Yu Suzuki apparently said that he changed Shenhuas clothes because her old outfit wouldn’t have looked as good with more detail on it due to the improved graphics compared to the Dreamcast model.

Curious what he meant by this as it’s nonsensical.

Just my two cents on this, Zero...

He might have just redesigned her clothing as the technology has come a long way since the Dreamcast days.
They may have "made do" with what she originally wore back then and Yu saw this chance to correct it closer to his original vision.

Yeah, I get that doesn't make it right in the eyes of some of the fans, but he can - and does - change things up.
I guess that's his right as Shenmue is his baby after all.

That said, I don't see why they couldn't have offered her original outfit as DLC, like how we got her green outfit.

Just my two cents on this, Zero...

He might have just redesigned her clothing as the technology has come a long way since the Dreamcast days.
They may have "made do" with what she originally wore back then and Yu saw this chance to correct it closer to his original vision.

Yeah, I get that doesn't make it right in the eyes of some of the fans, but he can - and does - change things up.
I guess that's his right as Shenmue is his baby after all.

That said, I don't see why they couldn't have offered her original outfit as DLC, like how we got her green outfit.
That doesn’t make any sense either. The Dreamcast couldn’t have displayed a character with a banana yellow knit shirt with a little design red sweatpants and a French beret hat?

Shenhuas original clothes had the open sleeves and dress which would have been more difficult to render on Dreamcast.

Only thing I can think of is how unremarkable Shenhua would have looked standing on the cliff reciting the poem in S1 in her pantsuit. It looked so romantic with her on the cliff with her dress and sleeves blowing in the wind.

Also how come Shenhua still had her original suit in the capsule toys?

That doesn’t make any sense either. The Dreamcast couldn’t have displayed a character with a banana yellow knit shirt with a little design red sweatpants and a French beret hat?
The justification given is that at the time there was more they wanted to do with Shenhua’s design, like having earrings and stitching on clothing, that couldn’t be done on the Dreamcast. When Suzuki was making her design for 3 he wanted to bring those elements back in but also felt it would be out of place to add them on top of her design from the original games and took the opportunity to make a redesign.

The justification given is that at the time there was more they wanted to do with Shenhua’s design, like having earrings and stitching on clothing, that couldn’t be done on the Dreamcast. When Suzuki was making her design for 3 he wanted to bring those elements back in but also felt it would be out of place to add them on top of her design from the original games and took the opportunity to make a redesign.
Doesn't make sense to me, Shenhua could have looked like this in Unreal 4.

Plenty of nice detail on the outfit and the beanie look way better than the beret they gave her in S3.
Shenhua4.jpg

I think the real reason is that 20 years passed between S1 and S2 and Shenhua wasn't really in those games save for the end of S2 and Ryo's cocaine fueled dreams in S1.

Shenhua is Suzuki's favorite character and since she hadn't really been properly introduced yet and Suzuki has different sensibilities after 20 years he took the opportunity to do a "fresh take" on her look.

Suzuki clearly wanted to make her more "modern" just like he made her house more modern with the power generator and fridge and the arcade at the market.

Last edited:
Doesn't make sense to me, Shenhua could have looked like this in Unreal 4. Plenty of nice detail on the outfit and the beanie look way better than the beret they gave her in S3.

View attachment 19069

I think the real reason is that 20 years passed between S1 and S2 and Shenhua wasn't really in those games save for the end of S2.

Shenhua is Suzuki's favorite character and since she hadn't really been introduced yet and Suzuki has different sensibilities after 20 years he took the opportunity to do a fresh take on her look.

Suzuki clearly wanted to make her more "modern" just like he made her house more modern with the power generator and fridge and the arcade at the market.
You know he can do what he wants as the creator?

You don't have to like it mind.

Is it just me thinking that the prologue in S1 when she’s reciting the poem wouldn’t have worked with her S3 outfit?

I don't know... What I do know is you're being very persistent over what-if's :p

Is it just me thinking that the prologue in S1 when she’s reciting the poem wouldn’t have worked with her S3 outfit?
The 1&2 look was perfect for that scene. Though I'd argue now that Ryo and Shenhua are travelling through China to some very glamorous locations inspired by Las Vegas (Niaowu), having Shenhua dressed in her village rags would now look a bit odd.

The feature to change Ryo's wardrobe in Shenmue 3 actually realises one of the early cut ideas Yu wanted to do with this series, and that was to have our heroes change-up their outfits for each in-game month to make them feel more 'real' - an extension of the life simulator idea from Shenmue 1.

"Since she's a key character, I wanted to give an idea of the kind of life she lives. After all, unlike some old movies, people don't wear the same clothes all the time. So as an example, I thought I would try designing the kinds of costumes she wears from January through to December. They help to give a deeper understanding of Shenhua."
— Yu Suzuki

That's why in some of the early promotional material, Shenhua can be seen wearing many different outfits.

1700911796760.png1700911820402.png1700911862495.png1700911881083.png1700911906486.png1700911928964.png

With that in mind, it's not a huge surprise to me that Shenhua is wearing something new in Shenmue 3. In fact, I expect she'll get another redesign for Shenmue 4 as well.

Back