How much fan-service should be in Shenmue IV?

If they just do it for additional funding, as opposed to full funding for the entire game (like the first KS was), I think us fans would ensure it would be seen to completion.

Say, 1 million for a few more assets, hire more people, etc.
Especially because it should be cheaper now that they have S3 made, they aren't starting from stratch again.

Correct.

But I still don't see it going to KS, because of the backlash from this one.

If they requested full-funding again, it wouldn't even make $500,000.00.

Yeah, another KS would stain the legacy even more. It's always been a uphill battle for S3. They already destroyed the faith a many of the fans as it relates to KS.

Zero. I hated this way to proceed in a game which barely had room for.

The only "fan service" I would like for S4 are the train and Ren's horse. The rest should be limited to capsule toys.

New ideas for new memories, please.

None. Shenmue III was made "by the fans, for the fans" and we got a metric ton of fan service. It was cool to see my name in the guestbook and all of that stuff, but I would've been happy just giving money with nothing but a game in return (yes, I know I could've done that, but you can't pass up the rewards :) ).

I think the phone calls were great as well, but I don't see those as Kickstarter fan service, more like world building.

I think the phone calls were great as well, but I don't see those as Kickstarter fan service, more like world building.
I'm late to the party (and haven't finished SIII yet anyway), but I think fanservice should typically be avoided. If it's for world building and fits naturally, that's perfect (and not really fanservice at that point). For a game that strives for realism, the phone calls make sense: I would definitely be calling friends and family if I was out on an adventure in foreign lands (especially more or less alone). Retail chains and arcade games make sense as well.

There are a couple of places where I'm pro fanservice, and that's with the capsule toys and the hidden Sega Saturns that have been present since the first game as basically meta Sega fanservice. I'd love to see a Sega license that allows for the much cooler toys from Shenmue I & II.

I think I might be open to super special hidden secret fanservice, though. Another Save Shenmue temple type deal or some goofy hidden non-canon encounters, but hidden behind various layers like the duck racing in II.

Zero. I hated this way to proceed in a game which barely had room for.

The only "fan service" I would like for S4 are the train and Ren's horse. The rest should be limited to capsule toys.

New ideas for new memories, please.
I completely agree with this!

Back