How strong do you feel about Shenmue 3 now?

The latest screen gave me quite a lot of hope for the game. It is reasonable to expect we will reach the High Ground system, plus all the others may be implemented due to Deep Silver's injection of funds. I think they all will, but they can't say that as no one would help continue to fund the game.

I think a delay to 2019 was both to ensure a quality product and implement as much as they can.

I'm not too worried about the project, considering it has a lot of time probably left on the development. We haven't gotten our Trial Version as of yet.

Bloodstained was said to be a 2018 title, but as of August they are working on improving the game from feedback from the E3 beta backer demo. It is definitely not making this year.

How does a 2D game like that take so long?

I'm obviously worried. After almost 20 years of waiting my biggest fear is being underwhelmed by it's release. I would maybe compare it to the feeling when Mass Effect Andromeda was released and being immediately bored after falling in love with the original trilogy. Forgive me for not being that optimistic yet but we haven't really had much to go on yet.

Shenmue 3 is my second most anticapted game of all time but that doesn't mean I'm expecting too much from the game. From what we have seen, it looks very good and promising and very Shenmue. The sequel we have all waited so long for. Still very hyped about the game but unless they show the game at gamescom in less then 3 weeks then I will start to get seriously bored of waiting to see it.

In terms of sales, I think and really hope it will do well. Now we are getting Shenmue HD, it's looking positive but we'll see. When Shenmue III is out next year is anyone's guess.

I feel strongly. I'm not expecting the world from the game, but have no doubt Yu Suzuki and his team will deliver a wonderful sequel. This is a project being undertaken purely for love, maybe there's also a bit (a lot) of pressure on Yu Suzuki too (which is why we should remember to cut him and his small team some slack), but it's a game that is coming straight out of the heart of its makers, and that's all I need to know to know that it will be great. It's mere existence, regardless of the content, will be a wondrous achievement, to me at least anyway.

The images I've seen so far all look lovely too :)

I fluctuate between excitement, apprehension, and still some degree of disbelief that the game is even happening at all. I worry that the way in which games have evolved in the years since the first two game's releases. I worry that there might not be that same degree of patience in a modern audience that was required of the first two games as well. The idea that you would learn about characters as time progressed without particularly triggering a set of actions to put something into motion, I enjoyed the realism of that and the patience required. So I have a fear that some of the little things will get lost in the shuffle as the game tries to re-package itself to a younger, different audience.

But my prevailing thought is just a general kind of happiness that it's even happening to begin with, though. I don't know because my knowledge of video game titles is not to the extent of others, but I don't know if there's another game series like this which was left on such a cliffhanger and seemed like its conclusion would never see the light of day. I had fully accepted the fact some years ago that I would probably never get to see where the game went from number 2. Fast forward to now, and we're not only getting the third but also a re-release of the first two? Whatever happens beyond this point, I'm just glad that I got the chance to see it.

i just hope, that the game still has the same feeling as 1 & 2 and that it didnt lost its "soul" or spirit.
i think most of the modern "hype games" are way too easy, shallow and soulless
because they are designed in a way so that everyone can play it without having any kind of trouble.
most of the modern games have tutorials for everything, super easy controls, super easy game mechanics,
a story that everybody can understand and so on. its nice that those games can be played by everyone
but on the other hand you have the problem that these games are very limited in every way because of that.

in terms of Shenmue 3, i would be way more interested in a clunky 7,5/10 "fan game" that has the same spirit,
than in a shallow meaningless game that is designed for every gamer out there.

It's funny that some people are worried about modern gamers not having the patience for Shenmue, I think that's true for some of them, just as it was true for gamers back in the day, it's never going to capture the Call of Duty crowd. But I think the market for slower, character and story based games is bigger than ever. Visual Novels and games like Persona and Life is Strange finally have an audience in the west, and I think fans of those games will find something to love in Shenmue.

It's funny that some people are worried about modern gamers not having the patience for Shenmue, I think that's true for some of them, just as it was true for gamers back in the day, it's never going to capture the Call of Duty crowd. But I think the market for slower, character and story based games is bigger than ever. Visual Novels and games like Persona and Life is Strange finally have an audience in the west, and I think fans of those games will find something to love in Shenmue.

I actually think adding to that there is a market, that is getting bigger, for JRPG's.

Back when it was originally released I do think gamers were more tolerant and open as a whole, the younger gamers of today will never know the awesomeness of innovation that most of us had, and I think that's why Shenmue captured the imagination like it did.

3 has a target audience and I think that audience is getting larger. It has every opportunity to be successful now. The mainstream may not bother but that growing crowd of fans and newbies to the series will be more than loud enough to see Shenmue 3 get the success it needs & also deserves.

I think my own personal trepidation comes from the fact that, much as I love 1&2 I absolutely acknowledge that they're not perfect games by any means. The patience aspect, it's probably right in assuming that people will be more open to playing the games as a new experience that a lot of people didn't get a chance of doing back in the day. But I suppose, I'm having flashbacks of having to move those books from one place to another in QTE events when I just wanted to get on with the game. It was fine on the first playthrough but on the subsequent revisits, I could always feel that sense in myself of "Okay, time to do the book thing again. And then I only have so much free time until it starts all over on the next day." which is literally not unlike my thought process of going to work, haha.

I suppose that's where my concerns creep in just a little bit, I think the slow pace of the game is actually fine. But maybe those moments where it's slow paced and completely out of your control is something that might put off newer players, or people who are just giving the game a go to see what the fuss is all about. I hope I'm wrong, and I wouldn't for a second want the game to drop that slow pace either. I think that a lot of my concerns genuinely just come from that instinctive worry a person can have when something they love or enjoy is put out into the rest of the world to be judged in some way.

I love the book carrying, became a favorite of mine to challenge as quick a finish as possible. Half run/walk, usually. Tough to run all throughout. Similar with crates; loved the perfect shift and box 3 onward is always fun and fast.

I think this will be another Yu Suzuki masterpiece. The only thing i'm worried about is that we will never see the end of the story.

I love the book carrying, became a favorite of mine to challenge as quick a finish as possible. Half run/walk, usually. Tough to run all throughout. Similar with crates; loved the perfect shift and box 3 onward is always fun and fast.

Airing out the books also has that beautiful music!

I think this will be another Yu Suzuki masterpiece. The only thing i'm worried about is that we will never see the end of the story.
I have the same feelings too. gamers these
Seem to be open to unique experiences. Hopefully SIII will be a hit to them and spawn the rest of the series. they can always do another kickstarter to finish it.
I know I would fund SIV.

I have come to terms it will probably not be the Shenmue we remembered 100% in order to ease in new players, but I have no regret donating to the Kickstarter. As long as we have the foundation, meaning the fighting, moves, QTES, arcade games....and forklifts......we're good to go

Back