IGN Reporting Bugs - Dojo cited.

Although I don't share the same resentment as Animegamer, I can see where he's coming from. It could of been handled much better.

I'm personally glad to be playing on modern consoles, but the lack of any decent trophies, and the shrunken cutscenes is just lazy. Even with Shenmue 2, all they had to do was zoom in the smaller screen. Job done.

Also, couldn't they have re-done the voice acting giving us a third option? Shenmue 2 English sounds like it was recorded in a warehouse.

There are absolutely things that could have been done better with these ports. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think that.

It's the vitriolic posts that some people direct towards SEGA and d3t that's the problem. That kind of spiteful, hate-filled attitude is what's not tolerated here, not the criticisms themselves.

Guys, we're not blind to the problems and us staff want the game to be fixed as much as any other member does. We just want to maintain a level of professionality and keep discussion civil on these boards.

Last edited:
There are absolutely things that could have been done better with these ports. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who doesn't think that.

It's the vitriolic posts that some people direct towards SEGA and d3t that's the problem. That kind of spiteful, hate-filled attitude is what's not tolerated here, not the criticisms themselves.

Guys, we're not blind to the problems and us staff want the game to be fixed as much as any other member does. We just want to maintain a level of professionality and keep discussion civil on these boards.
That's cool an all, but the message would probably better received and taken more seriously if it went both ways. There are plenty of posts calling fans who complain about the bugs whiners, moaners, trolls, neckbeards, etc and they don't seem to get any scrutiny from the mods. Yet if you say the devs are lazy/incompetent you get warnings. This is very divisive... just my two cents on the matter...

whiner/moaners/tolls/neckbeards aren't expletives, they're much more dialed back. Oh, and also they're objectively correct, so there's that haha

I love Dreamcast more than anyone ever of all time, will never stop playing the originals, but the ports are a great thing in the big picture, regardless of the state of the game's build shipped on disc.

I assume most of us are in our thirties at least. We're too damn old to be this dramatic over some buggy ports. Calling it a "disaster", acting personally aggrieved over it, attacking the staff that made it happen, all of this is incomprehensible to me.

For me, it's not just the nastiness of it. It's that certain people sound utterly ridiculous and I'm embarrassed for them.

Also, I'm not sure how you get to being a Shenmue fan if you're not willing to overlook some pretty glaring faults in order to see the bigger picture.

Exactly the type of posts I'm referring to lol. There's a clear narrative being pushed here and you can't expect respect when it doesn't go both ways. You can't pretend it's just "how people say it" when it's clear that the content is what you are trying to avoid... if it was just the way things are said then it would work both ways...

I assume most of us are in our thirties at least. We're too damn old to be this dramatic over some buggy ports. Calling it a "disaster", acting personally aggrieved over it, attacking the staff that made it happen, all of this is incomprehensible to me.

For me, it's not just the nastiness of it. It's that certain people sound utterly ridiculous and I'm embarrassed for them.
Very true. I think there's just this sub-generation of people who have only grown up on internet forums and think the only way to communicate an idea or displeasure in something is to be as abrasive and hyperbolic as possible and don't realize they're coming off as a dick.

Example:

Good: "I'm bummed that *insert bug* hasn't been fixed. I'm really disappointed in D3T.

Bad: "This game is a fucking trainwreck! I hope everyone at D3T gets fired!"

It's incredible how some people here seem to take such pride in not only blindly defending the work of Sega/d3t, but also personally attacking those who are (rightfully) unhappy with these ports.

By that logic, I guess that Eigo Kasahara is also a whiner, a moaner, a troll, and a neckbeard. Seriously, what does it take for some of you to accept that this collection has serious problems and that many fans are understandably disappointed? I guess it makes you feel better about yourself to disparage the "whiny trolls" and dismiss their opinions because that's obviously what makes the mods around here happy.

That's cool an all, but the message would probably better received and taken more seriously if it went both ways. There are plenty of posts calling fans who complain about the bugs whiners, moaners, trolls, neckbeards, etc and they don't seem to get any scrutiny from the mods. Yet if you say the devs are lazy/incompetent you get warnings. This is very divisive... just my two cents on the matter...

Well, to the first point, personally I think anyone who resorts to namecalling has thrown away all credibility. It just leads to pointless arguments. The same thing with the use of hyperbole... the linguistic equivalent of all-caps ranting.

As for the second point, calling the devs "lazy" and "incompetent" - it's completely baseless. State your credentials that enable you to make such a claim. Your role in the games industry is what? I think most people here, being honest, would have to admit they have little to no idea how many hours/days/months/years of work have gone into this or any game. A few hobbyists have come up with interesting ways to build upon the extensive prior work of emulator programmers. So that's to be taken as a serious insight into the development process? It's one additional perspective, a step beyond being a consumer, but it's not the same thing that the people working at d3t or Sega have been doing and it's not an "authoritative" or "expert" assessment. So what is an accusation of laziness if not in itself an unfair way of expressing frustration? Ultimately it provokes more anger.

Well, to the first point, personally I think anyone who resorts to namecalling has thrown away all credibility. It just leads to pointless arguments. The same thing with the use of hyperbole... the linguistic equivalent of all-caps ranting.
And yet, I haven't once seen anyone get warned or reprimanded for namecalling as long as it was directed at someone who was critical of these ports, Sega, or d3t.

It's incredible how some people here seem to take such pride in not only blindly defending the work of Sega/d3t, but also personally attacking those who are (rightfully) unhappy with these ports.

By that logic, I guess that Eigo Kasahara is also a whiner, a moaner, a troll, and a neckbeard. Seriously, what does it take for some of you to accept that this collection has serious problems and that many fans are understandably disappointed? I guess it makes you feel better about yourself to disparage the "whiny trolls" and dismiss their opinions because that's obviously what makes the mods around here happy.
This place will reach Resetera levels of hivemind if it continues... I'm honestly afraid to see what will happen if Shenmue 3 disappoints on many levels...

Example:

Good: "I'm bummed that *insert bug* hasn't been fixed. I'm really disappointed in D3T.

Bad: "This game is a fucking trainwreck! I hope everyone at D3T gets fired!"
Again, gotta be fair to both sides here...

Good: "Even though the games are a bit buggy, I still like them and I'm glad they were released."

Bad: "Be thankful this game even exists and if you have any complaints you're just a whiny neckbeard!"

Let's not pretend only the "haters" are the ones using awful language here...

As for the second point, calling the devs "lazy" and "incompetent" - it's completely baseless. State your credentials that enable you to make such a claim. Your role in the games industry is what? I think most people here, being honest, would have to admit they have little to no idea how many hours/days/months/years of work have gone into this or any game.
Completely irrelevant. When people say the ports are lazy/incompetent, they don't mean the entire D3T team literally just sat around jerking off and purposely doing a bad job instead of working on this. They simply mean that more time and resources should have been put into it as the final product is sub par... You don't need any experience in game design to recognize a sub par product...

And yet, I haven't once seen anyone get warned or reprimanded for namecalling as long as it was directed at someone who was critical of these ports, Sega, or d3t.

Did you use the Report button on the posts?

Completely irrelevant. When people say the ports are lazy/incompetent, they don't mean the entire D3T team literally just sat around jerking off and purposely doing a bad job instead of working on this. They simply mean that more time and resources should have been put into it as the final product is sub par... You don't need any experience in game design to recognize a sub par product...

No, it is relevant as occasionally there are users on this forum who have key insights into the development of the games. There's a difference in the value of the information that someone from that kind of background can share, and the venting of a frustrated customer. You don't need experience in game design to recognize problems, but you can benefit from that experience in an accurate understanding of the issues that cause those problems. But even so, the point that relates to how we choose to communicate on this forum is really expressed in your comment. If you want to express your frustration, anger, disappointment, etc., do it in the second way and not in the first way.

Lets talk about the importance of this article and the bugs finally getting main stream coverage and how this is going to force the hands that be to get this fixed asap. Initially I was groaning at the fact that IGN made an article, but when I read what it was about I was pleasantly surprised (IGN are usually horrible, but in this situation they actually did something that will help). We need more big gaming media outlets covering this, so it gets the exposure it needs so it forces hands at Sega etc to correct all these bugs, cant stress enough how important this is.

I said in another topic that hopefully some one in sega japan would take notice and we would hear something at TGS and I totally called it, this was the result I was hoping for, and kasahara-san totally knocked it out of the park and his video interviews of them demoing the game were a nostalgic moment that I as a fan was eating up. This will get things moving and hopefully at a faster pace, there are still alot of questions and things that need to happen, but hopefully by November 22 or around that time all platforms in all regions are at 0 bugs and I am glad they set a goal for 0 bugs by the japanese release. Time to wait and see what happens next.

I don't share his animosity towards dt3, but this is taking it way too far imo. Let him vent his view.

Venting is grand. See his post above yours. Thats a post i may disagree with, but one i feel i can reply to, instead of the earlier posts made about having no shame in the developer incompetent, talking about shitty parties and whatnot.

Thats the line drawn here, like it or not. This forum will not become a hotbed of hyped negativity. Not under my watch, thats for sure.

Lets talk about the importance of this article and the bugs finally getting main stream coverage and how this is going to force the hands that be to get this fixed asap. Initially I was groaning at the fact that IGN made an article, but when I read what it was about I was pleasantly surprised (IGN are usually horrible, but in this situation they actually did something that will help). We need more big gaming media outlets covering this, so it gets the exposure it needs so it forces hands at Sega etc to correct all these bugs, cant stress enough how important this is.

I said in another topic that hopefully some one in sega japan would take notice and we would hear something at TGS and I totally called it, this was the result I was hoping for, and kasahara-san totally knocked it out of the park and his video interviews of them demoing the game were a nostalgic moment that I as a fan was eating up. This will get things moving and hopefully at a faster pace, there are still alot of questions and things that need to happen, but hopefully by November 22 or around that time all platforms in all regions are at 0 bugs and I am glad they set a goal for 0 bugs by the japanese release. Time to wait and see what happens next.

Great points. Feedback, critical or otherwise, is crucial if we truly care about preserving the sanctity of these works of art. We may care to disagree, but we care. Magnum opus of magnum opportunities...

Honestly, I was so hyped with relief when I saw that article that I totally let loose and maybe expressed myself a little too strongly and causing other members to be banned is not the result I want. I know I have a strong opinion and many agree and many dont, maybe im a voice for others that would shy away, but I dont want to see us going back and forth and this turning into a quote fest trying to derail each others person or generalized shit posting about x opinion and causing further turmoil. We dont have to understand each other but lets all put some effort into trying respect each other a bit more for the sake of the community. I hope above all else everyone sees that I am extremely passionate about shenmue and I am willing to fight for this community, even it means having to get the devs in check, thats really what it comes down to for me.

edit: nvm... i won't get an answer...

We're all passionate people and I think we've got our own ways of expressing that.
Just please keep it civil and respectful when discussing things; be they positive or negative. That's all we ask.

If you spot something that isn't one of these things (from either side of the debate), we implore you to please use the report button so we can look into it.

Back