IGN Reporting Bugs - Dojo cited.

Serious bugs that survive this long are not going to be universal. They are triggered by obscure combinations of variables in the code that can, without in-depth analysis, appear random and difficult to replicate.

Therefore no two playthroughs are likely to be the same, causing different people to have different experiences and perceptions of the reported issues.

Getting cross with each other because one of you encountered every known bug and the other had a bug-free run is a waste of time and energy.

I would rather have a slightly buggy Shenmue HD that gets patched later on than no Shenmue HD at all.

I've been saying this ever since the game came out. we had 18 years of nothing and it could've stayed that way forever. If they had pushed it back, they could've easily thrown up their hands and decided to cancel it. Now that it's out, it has to be fixed, which is still far preferable to the alternative.

It has modern controls. You can use the analog stick to move Ryo. That’s all they meant.

I'm pretty sure they really did sell it as 2 discreet control configurations, or at least gave a strong enough impression that lots of folks took it that way. The current control scheme hasn't been entirely whole-assed, as far as looking around is concerned.
Did I get the litotes right?

I assume most of us are in our thirties at least. We're too damn old to be this dramatic over some buggy ports. Calling it a "disaster", acting personally aggrieved over it, attacking the staff that made it happen, all of this is incomprehensible to me.

For me, it's not just the nastiness of it. It's that certain people sound utterly ridiculous and I'm embarrassed for them.

Also, I'm not sure how you get to being a Shenmue fan if you're not willing to overlook some pretty glaring faults in order to see the bigger picture.

I want to buy this post dinner and take it to play mini golf. ;)

I do think the article being out there is a positive thing, because it means folks outside of this forum are aware of the issues, and if someone who still works for Sega is discussing it, then it seems highly unlikely that it would be abandoned (though I was never really 100% clear if he was yelling at them in an official capacity, or in a more "get off my lawn!" type way).

Last edited:
dcfUMRh.png

The bitterness in your post is astounding.

I also would have liked to see a little extra polish on these ports, but damn, you're just being downright rude and unpleasant here. It's laughable that you think we've been done some kind of misjustice when it's a miracle that these rereleases exist at all. I know that's not an excuse for glitchy software, but if you really feel that hard done by, then maybe you should take a step back and relax a bit.

Why do moderators take it so personal when someone knocks d3t or Sega? I reading the posts and its like everytime someone mentioned their strong opinion a moderator has to come to the rescue. I thought as a consumer we have a right to criticize what we spent money on. If I buy a car, game, movie, then I can say ANYTHING about it. Relax guys. d3t and Sega wont be mad at you for our opinions. Its as if the whole reviewing a game under the embargo type of thing. I don't like that either because its designed to hide and deceive the consumer. I don't think this guy sounded bitter at all. He is freely expressing himself in a free society.

It's not exactly a case of us taking it personally. You're right that people are free to feel however they wish about the game and that's fine. The problem doesn't stem from the fact that people aren't satisfied with the ports, it's the vitriol and unpleasant nature that people choose to express themselves with. We want to rise above that and promote a civil tone across the boards. Flying off the handle and getting really worked up like the person in question is not helpful.

The general misconception I'm seeing is that criticism here is banned when that absolutely not true. I've had interactions here even just today and yesterday with people who aren't happy with the state of the game but voice it in a way that doesn't read as an angry and bitter hate piece. Expressing your distaste in that kind of way is absolutely fine.

Just be civil, be reasonable, be mindful and there won't be any issues. That's what we're asking.

For people saying "hey at least we got Shenmue" I feel the opposite. Im a person that feels, if you don't do it right , then don't do it at all. I could have been fine never having the hd games. This is where my strong opinion comes in. I love going back to my old game 5,10, 15 or more years from now. Just recently I played Mario Sunshine from start to finish. Last time I touched it was 15 years. Played great right out of the box. This is one of many examples as I like playing retro. Whether I play Mario, Zelda, Metal Gear, Castlevania , whatever. These are future proof games that are highly polished and of the highest quality. Shenmue hd on the other hand is literally the worst port Ive EVER played. And I don't say it to whine, or be mean or whatever else someone wants to inject. It is relying heavily on patches which would make the game NOT future proof and useless when the servers go down.

My Dreamcast games will be playable 10 or 20 years from now. And yes, Sega was very misleading and sneaky when telling about the "modernized" controls. It was very calculated . They knew exactly what they were doing. Why would someone defend that unless they had own agenda. When buying a game I would much rather have someone raw and honest so that I can make a better informed decision. As someone that is a adult gamer with obligations like paying a mortgage, car, etc I don't spend as much money as I used to on games, so its disappointing when it turns out to be a waste. I am happy to get the word out on this port so that others don't wastes their money as well. For others that are enjoying this game, I sincerely say Im happy for you. Not hating on you. My problem is when people try to stifle negative comments as it comes off as PR damage control. I assume we are all adults here or at least most of us and have a right to say what we want about ANY game.

It's not exactly a case of us taking it personally. You're right that people are free to feel however they wish about the game and that's fine. The problem doesn't stem from the fact that people aren't satisfied with the ports, it's the vitriol and unpleasant nature that people choose to express themselves with. We want to rise above that and promote a civil tone across the boards. Flying off the handle and getting really worked up like the person in question is not helpful.

The general misconception I'm seeing is that criticism here is banned when that absolutely not true. I've had interactions here even just today and yesterday with people who aren't happy with the state of the game but voice it in a way that doesn't read as an angry and bitter hate piece. Expressing your distaste in that kind of way is absolutely fine.

Just be civil, be reasonable, be mindful and there won't be any issues. That's what we're asking.

Fair enough. But in the interest of transparency and honesty, I was looking at the bugs section where you said, "warning will be issued the next time someone misuses this thread' or something like that. Literally right after you made that comment someone I was talking to commented and I did the same. Only I got the warning. I feel as a moderater you should be a little more transparent and across the board. I don't care either way, but since you wanted to come across as "fair' in your earlier comment, I noticed a contradiction. Don't care either way. Don't even know what a "warning does" . Just wanted to mention that.

Last edited:
Fair enough. But in the interest of transparency and honesty, I was looking at the bugs section where you said, "warning will be issued the next time someone misuses this thread' or something like that. Literally right after you made that comment someone I was talking to commented and I did the same. Only I got the warning. I feel as a moderater you should be a little more transparent and across the board. I don't care either way, but since you wanted to come across as "fair' in your earlier comment, I noticed a contradiction. Don't care either way. Don't even know what a warning does . I Just come on once in a while. Just wanted to mention that.

Since he was clarifying the purpose of the bugtracker for you and why general discussion wasn't allowed in the thread (which from your post you didn't quite get), I decided to let that stay up rather than removing it and writing up what would have been an almost identical post. That should have been the stopping point of the conversation though.

Oh, and a warning doesn't do anything to your account. It just acts as a note that you've done something which may be considered rule breaking so you can avoid repeating it in the future, that's all. There's a section on them in our ToS if you need any more info.

Anyway, let's get the thread back on topic please.

I'm very excited to see that they are already up to the 5th revision in beta on PC, with possibly more improvements before it hits live servers.

I'm a little disappointed in the speed at which console patches are coming, but it is a different scenario. I look for .3-.5 to probably hit as one big patch for the console versions.

I still feel confident that there will be at least 1 more patche before the Japanese release, with possibly 1 or 2 more to follow post-launch before they declare it's been fixed as much as they are able.

Reading across the forums, aside from the music being wonky, they have really done extensive clean up. If they can fix that and perchance add console Pro/X support(hey, they added a Gamma feature, so never say never) we could have the best versions possible by December.

I still think delaying it wouldve been fine amongst fans...but they wanted to ride the III trailer I guess.

Yeah, I would have been happy with a short delay as well.

Has there been another console patch since the initial one yet? I hope you guys eventually start seeing the same rate of patches that we're seeing on PC. Hopefully the next one will bring the console experience up to par with the PC version.

No, alas. I got the last ones you guys posted about being live, which was I believe Revisions 1 and 2.

Anything past that has not come to PS4 yet that I have seen. Hopefully we will see 3 and 4 hit as a combo patch this week.

It just bothers me how people are sticking up for these companies. When someone says I hardly seen any bugs I automatically know that they didn't play the game, so I want to lash out at them. You say their going to fix this game. How do you know their going to fix it? They already have are money. If more people said things like I wish they got sued or I'm never going to buy a Sega game again I bet they would fix it. Personally I actually want to play a shenmue 4. I guess the shenmue dojo can only be used for reporting bugs and saying positive things about shenmue. I was one of the few people defending these ports. I was perfectly fine with the original graphics and all that other stuff. They took your money and handed you a game that wasn't even close to being finished. They took advantage of Yu Suzuki's kickstarter and probably harmed the potential sales of shenmue 3. If that doesn't anger you then you're not a true fan in my opinion.

Whatever dude, you can pretend that the Dojo is against criticism all you like but there are numerous examples to disprove that.

You're a textbook example of how not to post though (your earlier suggestion of taking d3t to court was pretty astounding) and I highly suggest working on your tone and reeling in the hyperbole if you want to continue in the discussion.

It just bothers me how people are sticking up for these companies. When someone says I hardly seen any bugs I automatically know that they didn't play the game, so I want to lash out at them. You say their going to fix this game. How do you know their going to fix it? They already have are money. If more people said things like I wish they got sued or I'm never going to buy a Sega game again I bet they would fix it. Personally I actually want to play a shenmue 4. I guess the shenmue dojo can only be used for reporting bugs and saying positive things about shenmue. I was one of the few people defending these ports. I was perfectly fine with the original graphics and all that other stuff. They took your money and handed you a game that wasn't even close to being finished. They took advantage of Yu Suzuki's kickstarter and probably harmed the potential sales of shenmue 3. If that doesn't anger you then you're not a true fan in my opinion.

They have my money and yet they continue to test and release patches that's how they're fixing it. As for taking advantage of Suzuki's Kickstarter why wouldn't they? After fans put their money where their mouth is with the Kickstarter it's just good business sense.

News flash dude, nobody here is happy with getting a broken game but it is what it is. Instead of just bitching and whining about it the people here are sending D3T and SEGA constructive criticism in the form of the flaws they need to fix. Which is far more productive and shows that the majority are not happy with broken games nor that the dojo is filled with blind fanboys.

Another thing, how do you know this is going to harm the potential sales of 3 when the reception for this game has mostly been positive by both new and old players in spite of these issues? Finally I think everyone here wants a Shenmue 4 not just you.

P.S. Sorry if I derailed the thread.

Last edited:
P.S. Sorry if I derailed the thread.

Nah you're ok. It's related to the topic so don't worry.

I agree with all your points. Could these games releases have been handled better yes of course. Like Jibby I'd have taken a delay even until the JP release date. But it made business sense to take advantage of the Shenmue 3 trailer date. It's a shame the game wasn't quite ready to really ram that home. However it charted well in the first week, overall sales don't look to have been hurt (Shenmue is a niche game and sales were never going to fly off the shelves after week 2 really) and Japan haven't had their releases. Also think about the collectors editions, without realising it I will have 3 copies of these games and others will too, further increasing sales.

Anyway now I've gone off topic. Plenty of people played these games and found little issue with them. There are absolutely bugs in them and the proof is in the pudding, they are fixing them. The issue of release then patch is a fair criticism & an issue in the industry overall.

Report the bugs as we've been consistently saying throughout these topics. Constructive posts whatever side of the argument are absolutely welcome as Jibby said above.

Also I'll say this again it's cool to see SEGA finally get behind this series.

When someone says I hardly seen any bugs I automatically know that they didn't play the game, so I want to lash out at them.

Serious bugs that survive this long are not going to be universal. They are triggered by obscure combinations of variables in the code that can, without in-depth analysis, appear random and difficult to replicate.

Therefore no two playthroughs are likely to be the same, causing different people to have different experiences and perceptions of the reported issues.

Getting cross with each other because one of you encountered every known bug and the other had a bug-free run is a waste of time and energy.

Ouch, having to sell the game early so people can actually play it for release is crazy. It's ridiculous how much the lines have been blurred when it comes to physical and digital media nowadays. It's starting to feel like a disc is just a glorified download key (especially when you've got examples like the Spyro remake where only the first game is actually on the disc).

I know it's not going to be an issue for the forseeable future, but preservation is being destroyed because of shit like this. I seriously hope this kind of stuff goes away forever.

You are right about that. In 50 years when the servers for patching the re release are gone, if gd roms haven't rotten by then the original copies would be the only glitch free versions unfortunately. Sucks.

Back