IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

Even FFXV, which has a major side diversion about cooking doesn’t have eating animations or does it? It’s been a while and I’m old.

The way I see it at this point: Shenmue III is a proof of concept to get Shenmue IV. If Shenmue III succeeds IV will have a bigger budget and might have the detail we love and crave from a Shenmue title. But the team is doing all they can with what they have. We are built for this everyone. We have made mods and everything. We have a very talented fanbase. I think that more than any entry it is imperitive that Shenmue III be moddable on pc so that we can can continue to add to the game and give it the Shenmue trademark and help fill in the gaps.

Chin up, everyone. We are in this together. We just need to keep the eye on the prize and make sure III is a success. From now on we need absolute positivity and support for the team!

i guess the reviews for Shenmue 3 will be pretty wild
because we will see fan reviews of people who waited since S2, very harsh clickbait reviews, neutral reviews,
disappointed reviews, surprised reviews ...
i wouldnt be surprised if the worldwide game scores are all over the place.

Sounds like the general situation of an avant garde product. Yu Suzuki is as Auteur as you can get. The guy doesn't even play video games or get inspired by other gaming "Visionaries". Yet he can give establish franchises a run for their money and pioneer his own genres of games. Idk what everyone's personal reason are...but people have axes to grind with him just as much as critically acclaim his track record is overall. I've never seen so many haters come out of the woodworks for a legendary franchise such as this one.o_O:rolleyes::cautious:

Thankfully Suzuki is old school and a perfectionist in his craft. He'll make sure Shenmue 3 ships with minimal bugs or issues.

We can't have another Shenmue HD situation where it ships in a mess of state and there are constant patches to fix it up. That would just drive people away. But again, I have no doubt Suzuki will release Shenmue 3 super polished.

Perhaps the dumbest thing I've read all week. If not more resources, then Shenmue 3 needs more time.

Some of these issues can be seen even in the newest trailer.

Polygon clipping

That's what the next 5 months are for.

Thankfully Suzuki is old school and a perfectionist in his craft. He'll make sure Shenmue 3 ships with minimal bugs or issues.

I fully believe this too. His time management skills are most likely completely on point.

I think the time till the game is set for the release is enough to get ride of these graphic bugs. no need for a further delay I think.

Yeah, sorry WildManofBorneo, but focusing on something as micro as a little bit of polygon clipping isn't really going to convince anybody that the game definitely needs more time beyond the five months left.

The macro elements like smoothing out the presentation and ensuring a working product on release are more important, and more likely where we will see the fruits of additional work.

Perhaps the dumbest thing I've read all week. If not more resources, then Shenmue 3 needs more time.

Some of these issues can be seen even in the newest trailer.

Polygon clipping

View attachment 2368

View attachment 2369
Tbh I'd never noticed it until now but that's what the remaining time is for. I feel this is slightly nitpicky. Most average gamers wouldn't notice/care.

They have eeked out everything they can and now they can polish it up. I really don't see any delay coming at all. Interviews have said the game is finished so unless they find some game breaking bug there won't be a delay.

I fear you are setting yourself up for a huge fall with this almost perfectionist stance. No game in the world is perfect.

The game will be very good value for budget.

Can we also not resort to name calling for all!

things like clipping errors are in every game.
look at the final official release trailer of Sekiro,
you can see how the lower and upper parts of the pants are clipping into each other
while he is getting up.
you have clipping errors in Red Dead Redemption 2 if you equip some weapons in a specific equip slot.

no game is gonna get delayed because of stuff like that.

b34li35myut11.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting article. Adding a choice of difficulty is a good decision. Finally, I will be able to choose an easy level and not to trouble in fights, for example: Chai in harbor, Dou Niu. Though I hope it concern only to fights.
No possibility of talking to every NPC, it worries me a bit. The possibility to talk and, most importantly everyone NPC's has fully voiced, this is the brand of Shenmue. And even if the NPC says "I'm sorry, I do not have time to talk now", it's better than the sound of a typewriter like the Yakuza.

I hope, Yu has rights to Shenmue Online and songs from that game will be used. For example:

And maybe the " Flag of Lions " song will be used in the game.

Incidentally, does anyone know who composed the music for Shenmue Online? I'd love to be able to correctly tag it.

Back