IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

The part-time jobs were hardly fleshed out in the previous games. Moving crates from one spot to another using a forklift? Moving crates from one spot to another with another person? Shouting at passersby and competing with takers? Ryo was hardly building a house or running a cafe.

Pretty gimpy criticism in my estimation.

there is still a chance that its even more simplified in S3.
we know that you can chop wood or go fishing but instead of active manually moving
maybe its just a very short looped QTE sequence. like Ryo is just standing in one spot
and all you have to do is pick up wood with one button and chop the wood with another button. no other player controls.
i'm not saying that this is a thing but you can simplify the activities of S1+2 way more.
right now we have no idea what "less deep", " might feel repetitive" or "doesnt feel as fleshed out"
really means. it can mean a lot of things.

I'm just chalking it all up to Esra trying to write an objective article, rather than a gushing fan piece.

Some of that will all be up to interpretation anyway, or even how you play. I'm sure doing Horse Stance and One Inch Punch all day will feel repetitive, much like training moves in the parking lot/park/dojo could, but that's based on an active choice to, well, grind.

Simplicity in tasks serves two purposes in my view. The first is obviously budgetary, because spending potentially hundreds of hours developing the world's most sophisticated wood chopping mini-game would be foolish and arguably a waste. The second, is in developing a routine. If tasks are simple and easily repeated, then you should have no problem incorporating them into your in-game schedule for financial or stat-based gain.

It serves the purpose of helping you exist within Shenmue III's world, not to provide an immediate dopamine rush.

I'm just chalking it all up to Esra trying to write an objective article, rather than a gushing fan piece.
If Esra is being objective, then wouldn't that mean he's being correct and not just making up criticisms of things that don't exist for the sake of faking non-bias? I'm much more likely to chalk it up to lack of knowledge/experience with the previous games... but I'd rather assume there's some truth to what was written...

It sounds like the game is nearly complete after reading this article. I wonder when we'll hear more about the trial version promised in the Kickstarter? I imagine it'd be released before August 27th, right?

If Esra is being objective, then wouldn't that mean he's being correct and not just making up criticisms of things that don't exist for the sake of faking non-bias? I'm much more likely to chalk it up to lack of knowledge/experience with the previous games... but I'd rather assume there's some truth to what was written...
Only he knows for sure why he wrote those things.

And ultimately he only saw 15-20 minutes of a game that still has a lot of depth and systems to truly uncover. No point thinking too deeply about it.

It is hard to judge the critic points that where mentioned in the article in a fair way. We have not seen the stuff that the writer has seen. So there might be some truth behind the stuff he said. I still consider the negative points he mentioned as rather vague almost generic. Without having any reference points it will be hard to say them in the right light.

Comparing a 20 year old game with a modern is rather difficult. And then stating the old game is more flashed out then new one sounds rather weird to say at least.

I'm much more likely to chalk it up to lack of knowledge/experience with the previous games... but I'd rather assume there's some truth to what was written...

Yeaaaaaa no. Considering he played these games at release, helping influence him to up sticks, travel to China, specifically Guilin, then move onto live and settle in Japan and continue to be a fan since then, his knowledge and experience of the games is as extensive as ours, if not more so.

Yeaaaaaa no. Considering he played these games at release, helping influence him to up sticks, travel to China, specifically Guilin, then move onto live and settle in Japan and continue to be a fan since then, his knowledge and experience of the games is as extensive as ours, if not more so.

Yeah, and he didn't say the jobs were repititive in a bad way, necessarily. Immediate statement afterward was Shenmue being great for "daring to be mundane." If you don't consider the jobs fun--or see their importance to the story and character--then you probably don't like Shenmue much at all.

In fact, "...when Ryo received the task [airing out books] to calm his mind by helping at the temple, we had to do that too," perfectly encaptulates what make Ryo's martial arts journey so beautiful. Shenmue was only about revenge in Yokosuka for me and for Ryo. By the time Xuiying was dropping wisdom and kicking ass in 2002 as a teenager with my own maturing cognitive mind; the game quickly became about attaining enlightenment along with the mastery of Kung Fu. Other examples would be Jianmin's technique on the tree, breaking a rock or catching three consecutive leaves. All of them need real-life tranquility.

I said this on stream, and please do not take offence, I mean this in the nicest way possible, but I don't take compliments well, I don't stop and smell the roses and bask in any specific moments. I will respect peoples opinions, good or bad about this game but..... when it comes to this game, fuck everyone's comments, criticisms and even praises. I know in my own head and my own heart that this game is just so beautiful, so sensational, so right, and what I have been waiting for, for almost 20 years of my life. I am not looking at it through fan boy goggle eyes either. I have played a lot of modern AA and AAA games, and there isn't a single one of them that's flawless. There are things I like, and things I don't like. Of course, I know I will have my grumbles about some of this games features, but what's important to me are the impressions I take away from it, at each stage; beginning, middle and end. I wont go into what I know, what I don't, and all that stuff. All I know now is at this exact point in time, above is how I feel about it, and I genuinely could not be happier. I really couldn't. Yes, I know they have been stingy from what they have publically shown off, but I've said this so many times; come back and we will chat once you have played this game, and I am willing to wager that the majority of you will finally feel the same way as I do.

No offense taken Peter it’s a respectable position to take. While it’s great that we’re all Shenmue fans here it doesn’t change the fact that we’re all individuals here with differing perspectives. While it’s great to share that love with like minded people one’s experience with Shenmue is a personal one. It doesn’t matter what others think it’s what matters to you as an individual. One doesn’t have to respect other people’s opinions but tolerate different viewpoints from their own. Personally I am over the fucking moon right now and just can’t get over the fact that Shenmue 3 is a real thing.

Last edited:
"... Shenmue was only about revenge in Yokosuka for me and for Ryo. By the time Xuiying was dropping wisdom and kicking ass in 2002 as a teenager with my own maturing cognitive mind; the game quickly became about attaining enlightenment along with the mastery of Kung Fu.

Revenge was still very much at the forefront of Ryo’s mind when he left Hong Kong. So passionately so that he chose to ignore Xiuying’s pleas to let it go and choose a different path. Revenge is essentially still his main goal.

It sounds like the game is nearly complete after reading this article. I wonder when we'll hear more about the trial version promised in the Kickstarter? I imagine it'd be released before August 27th, right?

I presume so, unless there’s a final delay. Will be interesting to see if there’s a feedback system integrated, where users can quickly submit screencaps of bugs or other feedback.

Of course there'll be supernatural elements. I mean that's the whole point of the serie. By that I dont mean demons or laser beams... But come on there must be a reason for Lan Di to seek the mirrors.

Where did this notion of delays come from anyway? I’ve seen nothing at all to indicate any kind of delay.
because there is no release date in the new Magic Monaco trailer
and we had no other information. it was a bit suspicious.

but soon after that, the Suzuki interview went online where he said that the game is finished
and then Deep Silver unlocked the Pre Order option for Shenmue 3 on Amazon.com
also Koch Media retweeted a Eurogamer article where the first lines are about how close the release date is.

so the August date is still correct.

For me, it was because Cedric said there would be a trailer with gameplay at Magic Monaco, and it was going to be epic and if he didn't deliver fans would be upset, (there wasn't, 5 seconds of cinematic fighting doesnt count) in addition to there being no date at the end of the trailer that made me think maybe a delay was in order

For me, it was because Cedric said there would be a trailer with gameplay at Magic Monaco, and it was going to be epic and if he didn't deliver fans would be upset, (there wasn't, 5 seconds of cinematic fighting doesnt count) in addition to there being no date at the end of the trailer that made me think maybe a delay was in order

Whilst that's true, that's all nothing to do with the state of the game. Don't worry about a delay if that's why you are worried.

Back