IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

I see. I was under the impression Yu stated the release date at the conference, while still on stage.

Whilst that's true, that's all nothing to do with the state of the game. Don't worry about a delay if that's why you are worried.

That was before I read the recent interviews and previews. I am much less skeptical about the release date now.

But I am going to remain salty about there not really being any gameplay. xD.

Even if Shenmue gets delayed, it’s not going to be more than a few months. Personally, I think a few extra months could really help to polish the game.

Last edited:
According to Ersa, Ryo has a newer model in the gameplay he saw. It's very likely that that was not the only upgrade in the preview. We dont know how polished it actually is right now.
And that's not also thinking about any minor improvements to come.

All is pointing to August 27th release. I want to see more now!

Before your feet start leaving the ground, other previews said the game looked approximately like it did in the trailer, and the gameplay demo was recorded just days before MAGIC.

Some details may have changed, but let's steer away from false expectations.

It is really interesting that some people in the internet are expecting a delay although there is no evidence or it. The game looks quite finished already and I am happy with the results. If Yu-san and his Team needs more time to finish the game I won't be upset either. The game is done when it is done. But I hope they can hit the release date.

Here is a link to Esras blog from 2011 when he travelled through Hong Kong and Guilin (some entries are in Dutch, Japanese, and English.)

Funny story he was on the old forums back in 2011, where I wished him the best on his travels. So freaky, but cool! (Credit to him for the links.)

I hope Esra is the guy who gets to write the review for S3. IGN would royally mess this up if they let someone inexperience/bias agianst this unique game rate it and they run with it.:rolleyes:
Reading the comments lots have said how refreshing it is to have a well written article on IGN.

Esras article is most certainly that.

This guy is awesome. He should be the one to write about Shenmue 3 when its released. The comments reflect the article aswell. Very balanced and fair, with both pros and cons.

Last thing we want is some silly twat writing a clickbait hit piece to get clicks....which will naturally attract the usual toxic ppl that we typically have to deal with.

Hmm. Think it could be viewed both ways. Ideally you would want someone who has neither bias for, or against the game so they could review the game as objectively as possible by itself as a standalone game.

But I also understand the desire for a reviewer to understand why the series is beloved by so many.

i guess the reviews for Shenmue 3 will be pretty wild
because we will see fan reviews of people who waited since S2, very harsh clickbait reviews, neutral reviews,
disappointed reviews, surprised reviews ...
i wouldnt be surprised if the worldwide game scores are all over the place.

Sometimes with a polorising/beloved game, you often get two perspectives; one for and one against. I can see this situation happening in this case. Shenmue III is pretty rare in that it is a truly Marmite series. Heck - do three reviews; one for a long time fan; one for someone who cares not for Shenmue and one for someone new to the series - what's the betting you get three different perspectives?

Even if Shenmue gets delayed, it’s not going to be more than a few months. Personally, I think a few extra months could really help to polish the game.

It has been in development for years. It's as polished as it's going to get.

If Yu and his team couldn't implement better animations by this point, it's because they couldn't on the budget and resources they have...

It has been in development for years. It's as polished as it's going to get.

If Yu and his team couldn't implement better animations by this point, it's because they couldn't on the budget and resources they have...
Don't bank on this as an absolute, given Yu said the next few months will be all about tuning, debugging, and upgrading. Same with the MAGIC footage not being final, and still considered WIP.

Will it be radically better? I dunno. Will it be better in general? Sure.

I think so too. I can understand that some people expect more from Yu and his team but they are working on budget. So we should consider that the game night not look much better than we see in the Trailer. Which is new problem for me. I am fine with the current state of it. It looks better than i expected. And it just looks like Shenmue. Just perfect.

But of course it is not out of the realm of possibility that can improve the game a bit until the release.

Don't bank on this as an absolute, given Yu said the next few months will be all about tuning, debugging, and upgrading. Same with the MAGIC footage not being final, and still considered WIP.

Will it be radically better? I dunno. Will it be better in general? Sure.

Yeah, I agree with this. I'm mostly suggesting what you say above, that it won't be radically better. No delay will make that happen, unless they get a significant amount of cash and another couple of years to work on it...

Shenmue 3 will be amazing. It doesn't need a delay.

Back