IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

I dunno man, seeing a real person you've never met so vividly in your dreams seems pretty supernatural to me... especially considering the connection they have via prophecy. But then again maybe that can be explained away by her image being plastered all over the local candy...

Since Ryo doesn't seem to recognize her, I presume that he forgets all the dreams upon waking up. Considering how nightmarish many of them are, I wouldn't want to remember them, either!

View attachment 2350

I dunno man, seeing a real person you've never met so vividly in your dreams seems pretty supernatural to me... especially considering the connection they have via prophecy. But then again maybe that can be explained away by her image being plastered all over the local candy...

I like to imagine that Shenhua was never on anything in the store and it was just his mind placing her there when what was actually there was probably some dumb animal mascot.

If Ryo gets tired after fighting and needs food after a while, then it sounds like sleep is less of a limitation as it was in the past but a gameplay necessity. In the past Ryo didn't get tired so him needing to sleep wasn't really part of the simulation as much. In this game, with Ryo having actual stamina, sleep might be an actual part of the simulation, much like in The Sims. If that's the case, do we have more flexibility over when we can sleep as well? In the past, you had a set curfew. Can you now stay up till 12 or 1 in the morning and lose sleep, having that impact Ryo's physicality the next day?

Anyone else have dreams of random locations and people you don’t know of until years later? Isn’t that called deja vu? I’ve had a few, maybe not as crystal clear as Ryo’s, but certainly prophetic in much respects. Anyone else?

If Ryo gets tired after fighting and needs food after a while, then it sounds like sleep is less of a limitation as it was in the past but a gameplay necessity. In the past Ryo didn't get tired so him needing to sleep wasn't really part of the simulation as much. In this game, with Ryo having actual stamina, sleep might be an actual part of the simulation, much like in The Sims. If that's the case, do we have more flexibility over when we can sleep as well? In the past, you had a set curfew. Can you now stay up till 12 or 1 in the morning and lose sleep, having that impact Ryo's physicality the next day?

Ryo - Its 2am, and all the stores are closed... But this boat is chock full of the goods!

Shenhua: "Hey Ryo, where were you last night? And where did all that food and clothes come from?"

Last edited:
Since Ryo doesn't seem to recognize her, I presume that he forgets all the dreams upon waking up. Considering how nightmarish many of them are, I wouldn't want to remember them, either!
Agree'd, or he does kind of recognize her but who the fuck would admit to that, ya know? He probably just thinks his memory is playing tricks on him...

I like to imagine that Shenhua was never on anything in the store and it was just his mind placing her there when what was actually there was probably some dumb animal mascot.
I kinda felt that way too. There are a lot of things in Shenmue that just aren't realistic, most of which can just be waved off as "video game logic". This is one of those things lmfao

Anyone else have dreams of random locations and people you don’t know of until years later? Isn’t that called deja vu? I’ve had a few, maybe not as crystal clear as Ryo’s, but certainly prophetic in much respects. Anyone else?

It's happened and it's just very weird.

One time I dreamed of being eating a giant bowl of milk with cereals. When I woke up in the morning guess what I did right away?

There’s actually studies that show most people forget their dreams upon waking, so it’s plausible.

Nah. Deja vu, scientifically, is actually a sense people have when they are remembering something at the same time they are experiencing it, which thus makes the person feel as if it had happened before. It's not knowing you've done it before or knowing the future or anything supernatural. It's just the amazing human brain fucking with itself.

The human brain is quite crazy, man.

I've experienced deja vu plenty of times... some of which was explainable(because it actually happened in the past) and some of which wasn't. But I don't think I've ever had any prophetic dreams...

One time in elementary school I had a dream of us lining up to go to music class. We were talking while waiting. A few months later the exact thing happened, down to every sentence that was uttered being the same. At the time it was just weird. Like I recognized it happening before, but it actually didn't. There's not much to do in that situation besides find the scenario familiar. It's easy to chalk it up as just being your imagination.

Nah. Deja vu, scientifically, is actually a sense people have when they are remembering something at the same time they are experiencing it, which thus makes the person feel as if it had happened before. It's not knowing you've done it before or knowing the future or anything supernatural. It's just the amazing human brain fucking with itself.

The human brain is quite crazy, man.

I’ll have that, too, once I’m in the actual location, I’ll recall the dream, and have a “this is it” moment. I don’t know, maybe I was hallucinating, but it’s happened more than a few times.

I had another the other day in fact. At least I think. See, even people who have had them in real life aren't sure. It's pretty realistic that Ryo would just pass it off as coincidence or not even remember.

Yeah, I am not gonna get into the actual beliefs of things like that, except to say I dont believe in it. Other people do. And that's okay.

I’ll have that, too, once I’m in the actual location, I’ll recall the dream, and have a “this is it” moment. I don’t know, maybe I was hallucinating, but it’s happened more than a few times.
something happened to me last Thursday when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go -- I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly... Suddenly, there was intense light all around me -- and when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me...?
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!

something happened to me last Thursday when I was driving home. I had a couple of miles to go -- I looked up and saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly... Suddenly, there was intense light all around me -- and when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me...?
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!

Ok, now that’s just over the top lol

For an example of a time where I had major Deja Vu is when I was with my sister in a store that had an oculus vr demo and I was trying it for the first time and I had this incredible sense that I had done it before a few years ago, and for a few moments I was absolutely convinced I was right, but the store wasn't that old and well, vr didnt really exist in such a way before then, so it was quite impossible, still the sense of familiarity was overwhelming. The human brain is actually quite scary sometimes.

5326.png

join us now!*
(*only 799.99 a month)

Back