IGN's Esra Krabbe - Shenmue 3 editorial (MAGIC '19)

Genuinely couldn't care less about the omission of throw moves.

Anyone else?

Genuinely couldn't care less about the omission of throw moves.

Anyone else?
I care very greatly. Hazuki style is derivative of Ju Jitsu, which is very throwing focused. There is also nothing more satisfying than a perfectly executed Arm Break Fire IMO. Throw moves have always been my favorite of the bunch...

That said, I'll live without it. As long as combat is fun and they don't ruin immersion too much, I'm gonna have a good time...

i like hard difficulties but only if they do it in a clever way.
like harder puzzles, smarter enemies, no tutorial tips and so on.

i hate the cheap harder difficulties where they just give enemies 200% health
and your character 50% less health than normal and your damage output is reduced
but the enemies damage output is way higher.
thats just cheap.

i like hard difficulties but only if they do it in a clever way.
like harder puzzles, smarter enemies, no tutorial tips and so on.

i hate the cheap harder difficulties where they just give enemies 200% health
and your character 50% less health than normal and your damage output is reduced
but the enemies damage output is way higher.
thats just cheap.
Yeah I'd like for shenmue higher difficulty levels to mean smaller windows for events, more clue to find before the next lead, etc... and of course combat. But there is so much more creativity to be had with this series in that department...

Someone should ask about new game+
The interview seems to take what most people think, It's Shenmue, it's lower budget, it's rough in some places.
Some things seems to have been simplified, but I wouldn't take it as face value, it doesn't seems like he played the game (or at leastfighting).
I think the public will be more accepting of this game, hopefuly YS doesn't go hard on DLC, that pisses people quite a bit.
Another thing to have in mind is the pricing, 60dls might be too steep for newcomers.

“If it has rained in the morning, there’s a chance you can still see puddles in the evening,” Suzuki explained. “Footsteps become easier to spot on mountain paths as well.”

This quote excites me greatly. I can almost see a situation where if you don't step on the footsteps, you'll slide down the path, but on a dry day you won't have to worry about it at all! Almost like, if it's too difficult, try again tomorrow.

The mystique of Guilin and Shenhua is what kept me wanting more all these years. I hope they don't completely ignore the fact that Shenhua made dandelions fly with ki - this optional scene in Shenmue 2 is actually one of my favorites in the entire series. As other have mentioned, Suzuki might view this as less supernatural and more about drawing from the Earth's energy. I think Suzuki has said as much in interviews over the years.

Remember the spring in Guilin that changed colors 5x each day? Those elements that were introduced in Guilin in such a smart and realistic way is the reason I'm so curious about where this story is heading. I always did expect things to heat up ever since Chen first explained that the mirrors could revive Chi You (even though I never necessarily took that literally)

Also- there were never any fireballs in Shenmue; that sort of thing I'm not interested in. It's not the Shenmue Online stuff I'm after. The flying sword was one dramatic element added to the ending, I don't expect anything quite like that to become the norm either. What I would like to see retained in Shenhua's connection to the forest and her own subtle, supernatural abilities. We saw this as far back as the Project Berkely trailer where she fought off some attackers. I feel like if they ignore this entirely they're retconning a bit; potentially even re-writing some aspects of the entire story. There is also Shenhua's "flashback" of being a baby that was clearly either set in another time or another place. I believe Suzuki has mentioned she has some connections to her ancestors. I think all these elements of mysticism that were introduced in Guilin were setting up a stage for the real story that we've only scratched the tip of the iceberg on so far, and I was stoked for it. So I'm hoping it wasn't all just for show or to give Shenmue 2 a dramatic ending.

At the end of the day I'm going to trust Suzuki on this one and see what happens!

@Lan Di-sama

im pretty sure these small elements will still be a thing in Shenmue 3 and later games.
but in the same way as it was in Shenmue 1 and 2. you know like 90% of the game has nothing to do with
supernatural things but here and there are some weird things without explanation to surprise you.
small things like the map that you can see with the mirrors, the river changing colors, Shenhua's aura and so on.
stuff that is strange for Ryo (or for us as the player). im pretty sure these things are still in there.

but it will be just small portions, these elements wont take over the whole game
and i guess it will never turn into fighting scenes that take place in the sky or something like that.

@Lan Di-sama

im pretty sure these small elements will still be a thing in Shenmue 3 and later games.
but in the same way as it was in Shenmue 1 and 2. you know like 90% of the game has nothing to do with
supernatural things but here and there are some weird things without explanation to surprise you.
small things like the map that you can see with the mirrors, the river changing colors, Shenhua's aura and so on.
stuff that is strange for Ryo (or for us as the player). im pretty sure these things are still in there.

but it will be just small portions, these elements wont take over the whole game
and i guess it will never turn into fighting scenes that take place in the sky or something like that.

Yeah that's what I'm hoping for.

I wonder why they took out the throw moves? My only bet is because Ryo in Shenmue 3 is going to learn different moves from masters so if he used the same moves he already knows it's not gonna work.

That or because it easier not to add them, who knows..

I wonder why they took out the throw moves? My only bet is because Ryo in Shenmue 3 is going to learn different moves from masters so if he used the same moves he already knows it's not gonna work.

Yu tells us why in the article:

“We are not using assets from previous entries or the Virtua Fighter series, so all the fighting animations have been created from scratch,” he said. “That was a lot of work, so we had to give up on implementing throw moves this time."

Sounds like a workload thing, maybe compounded with making sure they actually work right.

Remember the Wude...

JIE...Judge yourself without conceit and do not show moves thoughtlessly...

Perhaps, throws become “thoughtless” as Ryo’s martial artistry developments and he becomes more proficient in more thoughtful and efficient move sets...

So...where is it said the game is basically complete and visuals and stuff are being worked on?
That's the GameBlog interview.

GAMEBLOG: There are only a few short months left before the release of Shenmue III, what kind of work do you have left to do?

YU SUZUKI:
Our job now is basically tuning, debugging, and upgrading.

The game itself is totally finished?

Yes. After that there are still things like the location of the game, or the adjustments with the platforms of Steam and Sony.

What is tuning, debugging and upgrade means?

Back